Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-04-2010   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

I would not consider drafting a WR or and offensive skill player early unless they were just the shyt.

Otherwise, I'm looking to upgrade that defensive interior and the defensive backfield.

Give me a DB and a DT (any order) in the first two rounds and I could really care less what they do for the rest of the draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
we go through this (taking WR in 1st) every year, just look at it as a review of a future fantasy play next year for another team

Indy was deep @ WR so they didn't draft one yet they picked up Blair White, who I wanted the Texans to take a look at 4th/5th rd. but went undrafted. now he is getting spot WR duty & returning punts which is more bang for the buck than the Texans are getting from entire 4th-7th rd. picks of Texans.

Right now if I where going to look WR in a later round 6th or 7th I really like that Oregon Duck Jeff Maehl, WR, 6-1 180. excellent route runner with soft hands reminds me of Kevin Walter but needs to get stronger.
This one of the reasons the Colts are better than the Texans. They are better talent evaluators (That and #18) than Smithiak. Only Dungy could hold the Colts back from multiple championships. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #83
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Talk about reactionary. He has us picking at 13 now.

Anyway...

13. Houston Texans: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Julio Jones is arguably the top player available.

Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 13 overall.

Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR

44. Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Drake Nevis is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT

80. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.
Old 11-11-2010   #84
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Wow. Talk about reactionary. He has us picking at 13 now.

Anyway...

13. Houston Texans: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Julio Jones is arguably the top player available.

Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 13 overall.

Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR

44. Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Drake Nevis is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT

80. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.
While I do use Walter for player info and evals, I put little emphasis on their mocks. I'd be very okay with the last two picks but would probably go corner first round again with those two D guys noted in 2nd & 3rd. I think we are closer to 19 than 13 today.
Old 11-11-2010   #85
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know this is a topic for another thread but we've got a really tough schedule ahead and a very shaky team that's not very good, I think we draft in the 14-17 range after a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #86
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I know this is a topic for another thread but we've got a really tough schedule ahead and a very shaky team that's not very good, I think we draft in the 14-17 range after a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.
this would be my ideal scenero along with Rick Smith grows a pair to trade up & draft him. I really beleive he could make immdediate impact for Texans @ Safety. One, right, bold move here could really help this defense & save Gary Kubiak & Co's job

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 11-11-2010 at 03:23 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Please note that I agreed with CB in first only if I knew we'd get Nevis in second and a DE later. My mock calls for Fairley DT in first and CB in second. I go DE in 5th with Winterswyck from Boise State. While I have a lock down corner as highest priority, I think a combo of Fairley and a cover CB like Jimmy Smith the way to go. I do not see a free safety I'd take a chance on until 4th.
Old 11-11-2010   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

[quote=beerlover;1576861]
Quote:

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

this would be my ideal scenero along with Rick Smith grows a pair to trade up & draft him. I really beleive he could make immdediate impact for Texans @ Safety. One, right, bold move here could really help this defense & save Gary Kubiak & Co's job
Sorry guys, no way do I draft Peterson high first and move him to FS. He is just too good a CB. Move Quin to FS and slide P.into KJ's spot, although I like KJ better at SS. I could do that if we drafted my guy Culliver in 4th to be FS.

1. Cb Peterson (lol he will be long gone but say B.Harris)
2. DT Drake Nevis
3. QB Enderle
4. FS/CB Chris Culliver 6'1" 201 4.47 moved to corner this year; leave Quin at off CB
Old 11-11-2010   #89
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=badboy;1576897]
Quote:
Sorry guys, no way do I draft Peterson high first and move him to FS. He is just too good a CB. Move Quin to FS and slide P.into KJ's spot, although I like KJ better at SS. I could do that if we drafted my guy Culliver in 4th to be FS.

1. Cb Peterson (lol he will be long gone but say B.Harris)
2. DT Drake Nevis
3. QB Enderle
4. FS/CB Chris Culliver 6'1" 201 4.47 moved to corner this year; leave Quin at off CB
2 against 1

see what/when rmartin65 chimes in

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-11-2010   #90
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=badboy;1576897]
Quote:
[quote=beerlover;1576933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

2 against 1

see what/when rmartin65 chimes in
Sorry badboy, I have to say Peterson has a higher ceiling at FS. 6'1", 220 lbs? FS my friend. Culliver has actually been injured, and will likely miss the rest of the season. That, coupled with the fact that he has more of a CB build, leads me away from him at FS.

EDIT: Looks like it messed up the quoting, interesting.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #91
badboy
Site Contributor

[quote=rmartin65;1576989][quote=badboy;1576897]

Quote:

Sorry badboy, I have to say Peterson has a higher ceiling at FS. 6'1", 220 lbs? FS my friend. Culliver has actually been injured, and will likely miss the rest of the season. That, coupled with the fact that he has more of a CB build, leads me away from him at FS.

EDIT: Looks like it messed up the quoting, interesting.
Culliver's injury is now more serious than the bicep strain reported. I've been worried about that as I have not heard much since. As a safety before moving to corner this season I liked his body style and speed.

I am going to stay stubborn on Peterson at CB not saying he could not play FS but corner is where I'd have him. I am not a big Peterson fan as every time I watch LSU I see little of him except on returns. Anyone want to bet what position he will play in NFL?

Anyway, I had Smith convinced to trade up and pick Earl Thomas FS but Beerlover talked him out of it!! Hey BL how many INTs does he have? 4 I think? Seriously, BL I loved him too but probably would have cost us a 3 or maybe a two. And we all know how productive those picks have been this season..
Old 11-11-2010   #92
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm being mis-quoted

funny!

A great safety will upgrade the CB's even if they are average.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-11-2010   #93
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm being mis-quoted

funny!

A great safety will upgrade the CB's even if they are average.
Yeah, when I was doing the multi quote it must have messed up. Or I did, I dont know. But I agree with you that Peterson has a higher ceiling as a FS than as a CB.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #94
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Yeah, when I was doing the multi quote it must have messed up. Or I did, I dont know. But I agree with you that Peterson has a higher ceiling as a FS than as a CB.
everybody wants the next Ed Reed but don't want to spend a high pick on position. Just how much better would he single handedly improve Texans secondary? He is a playmaker, check. Great tackler, check. can blanket TE's/RB's, #2/#3 WR's & double team #1's, check. premier, elite athlete, check.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-12-2010   #95
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Want to improve the secondary in paticular and the defense in general. Invest in your defense like this.

Sign Champ Bailey in FA. Bailey isn't as good as he used to be. But he's better than any DB currently on the roster.

Draft

Rd.1 A. Williams CB UT
Rd.2 M.Barron FS Ala
Rd.3 Jabaal Sheard DE Pitt
Rd.4 Adrian Taylor DT Okla
Rd.5 Casey Matthews LB Ore

This is about capital and how much of this capital the Texans are willing to spend to upgrade one of the worst defenses in NFL history statistically speaking.

After seeing the defense this yr. These moves to upgrade the defense would not be out of line. IMHO

MW Cody Mitchell Smith
Barwin Taylor Okoye Sheard
Anderson

Cushing Ryans Diles
Adibi Bentley Matthews

Bailey Pollard Barron A.Williams
Jackson Barron Quin Quin
Nolan

This defense would be much improved in the pass would be much improved in addition to the secondary. This would be a young fast defense who should improve as the season goes along. IMHO

This will never happen because it takes pro active thinking. Something the Texans seem to be lacking during the Smithiak regime.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010   #96
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
everybody wants the next Ed Reed but don't want to spend a high pick on position. Just how much better would he single handedly improve Texans secondary? He is a playmaker, check. Great tackler, check. can blanket TE's/RB's, #2/#3 WR's & double team #1's, check. premier, elite athlete, check.
Ok, here's one for you; we draft Peterson to play FS, do you keep KJ and Quin as your starting CBs or attempt to draft a CB later rounds to take on the #1 WR? Example:
1.Peterson FS
2. Drake Nevis DT
3. CB?
4. DE?
Old 11-12-2010   #97
badboy
Site Contributor

Any of you guys know much about the recent FA signing on Jason Allen? I've not been able to research yet, but it appears he is a cull. Stats look ok.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...8-4562bc23af56
Old 11-12-2010   #98
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Ok, here's one for you; we draft Peterson to play FS, do you keep KJ and Quin as your starting CBs or attempt to draft a CB later rounds to take on the #1 WR? Example:
1.Peterson FS
2. Drake Nevis DT
3. CB?
4. DE?
in general terms, yes but you know the NFL is all about match-ups. meaning the Texans would have more flexability & athletic talent in secondary to apply pressure where needed. both Quinn & Kareem are physical corners, along with Pollard the Texans have three enforcers yet teams target them @ such a high rate because they can move them out of position to create mis-matches. Peterson would provide superior athletic centerfielder who can read/recognize & come in hot over the top making plays on the ball ala Ed Reed. He is a rare talent in that regard, most teams will recognize this regardless you don't generally take safetys this high in the draft but just look what Eric Berry has done for Kansas City. Interesting because Berry basicly has replaced Pollard, whereas Peterson is better coverage prospect.

Drake Nevis is also a high first round selection. I'm sick & tired plus I don't trust the Texans when it comes to DT's or CB's with out first picks. Thats bad on me, I can get behind those positions with the right one I'm just not going to spend alot of my time evaling those cats unless Texans make major changes (replace DC or switch to 3-4). Anyway going back to your question I think taking a DT or CB in second can yeild a decent enough upgrade to warrent picking one there. love to get Virginia Junior CB Chase Minnifield in second for example, think he can be as good as any first round CB's in this draft if handled correctly.

My bottome line: Texans need to add atheltic playmakers to the defense, no more mr nice guys.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-12-2010   #99
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Any of you guys know much about the recent FA signing on Jason Allen? I've not been able to research yet, but it appears he is a cull. Stats look ok.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...8-4562bc23af56
I remember him of course, thought he was an early 2nd rd. FS prospect. I would imagine he fits here right away on special teams, replacing Barber (who may have run out of time here himself). I never thought he was CB material. He has good ball skills, 4 years of experience I like him more @ FS than anyone Texans currently have on roster, but don't expect major impact right away until he has time to practice with team & learn system/expectations of role going forward.

Best case scenero is that he does become the Texans starting FS & the Texans won't feel compelled to trade up for Peterson or use a high pick in next years draft on high priority need FS.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-12-2010   #100
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
in general terms, yes but you know the NFL is all about match-ups. meaning the Texans would have more flexability & athletic talent in secondary to apply pressure where needed. both Quinn & Kareem are physical corners, along with Pollard the Texans have three enforcers yet teams target them @ such a high rate because they can move them out of position to create mis-matches. Peterson would provide superior athletic centerfielder who can read/recognize & come in hot over the top making plays on the ball ala Ed Reed. He is a rare talent in that regard, most teams will recognize this regardless you don't generally take safetys this high in the draft but just look what Eric Berry has done for Kansas City. Interesting because Berry basicly has replaced Pollard, whereas Peterson is better coverage prospect.

Drake Nevis is also a high first round selection. I'm sick & tired plus I don't trust the Texans when it comes to DT's or CB's with out first picks. Thats bad on me, I can get behind those positions with the right one I'm just not going to spend alot of my time evaling those cats unless Texans make major changes (replace DC or switch to 3-4). Anyway going back to your question I think taking a DT or CB in second can yeild a decent enough upgrade to warrent picking one there. love to get Virginia Junior CB Chase Minnifield in second for example, think he can be as good as any first round CB's in this draft if handled correctly.

My bottome line: Texans need to add atheltic playmakers to the defense, no more mr nice guys.
If I could get a DT, shut down type CB and a FS it would be a great draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read