Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 07-31-2010   #41
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.
Agreed. I don't know what the Texans should be targeting as we are still in camp. FS may be an area to consider, but maybe my boy Troy Nolan steps up and grabs the spot. Perhaps even Moulden jumps into the crowded DB situation.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Agreed. I don't know what the Texans should be targeting as we are still in camp. FS may be an area to consider, but maybe my boy Troy Nolan steps up and grabs the spot. Perhaps even Moulden jumps into the crowded DB situation.
Nolan doesn't have the measureables, plus he's missed a year. his strength is his playmaking ability which is what the Texans need. I know they drafted McManis to play cb but I sure think he has the ability to play FS.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #43
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Nolan doesn't have the measureables, plus he's missed a year. his strength is his playmaking ability which is what the Texans need. I know they drafted McManis to play cb but I sure think he has the ability to play FS.
Possibly. Moulden may also make a decent option at FS. At this point (imo) its better to spend time learning about prospects rather than forecasting and predicting positions of need. Perhaps we find another discarded diamond (a la Pollard) during the year?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Possibly. Moulden may also make a decent option at FS. At this point (imo) its better to spend time learning about prospects rather than forecasting and predicting positions of need. Perhaps we find another discarded diamond (a la Pollard) during the year?
Molden is a special team player, gunner more specificly. He has good cover cb skills (similar to Reeves) can mirror with good change of direction but if you can't locate the ball chances are your not a ballhawk safety, go ahead prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure they missed on him, anything he does now is gravy. McManis is another story, he was a zone corner @ Northwestern which translates to nickle or FS in the NFL. 9 interceptions, 30 break-ups & 201 tackles means he is strong in run support & can defend/read routes & break them down.
Old 08-02-2010   #45
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Molden is a special team player, gunner more specificly. He has good cover cb skills (similar to Reeves) can mirror with good change of direction but if you can't locate the ball chances are your not a ballhawk safety, go ahead prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure they missed on him, anything he does now is gravy. McManis is another story, he was a zone corner @ Northwestern which translates to nickle or FS in the NFL. 9 interceptions, 30 break-ups & 201 tackles means he is strong in run support & can defend/read routes & break them down.
IMO the way we look at CB right now it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the bottom guys there to get a look at FS if they can't hold a spot down at CB. Far as physical tools Molden and McMannis look like they have the best shot to move successfully.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.
When I watched Dowling last season, I kept mentally pushing him to FS as he definitely has size and can run with WR but the following link indicates his hips are all right. I will watch him as much as possible. Hopefully he will develop more this seaon with his skill set. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...-ryan-williams

40 Time 4.52 http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players...I-Dowling.html
Old 08-02-2010   #47
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.

Texas places three on Thorpe Watch List
Posted on: August 2, 2010 11:03 am

Texas placed three players on the Jim Thorpe Award preseason watch list, including safety Blake Gideon, who recorded six interceptions as a sophomore last season. Cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Aaron Williams also made the list of 35.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2010   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys we have all discussed for years taking a CB and switching to free safety but the Texans just don't do that. They may take a center like Caldwell & move him to RG nut if they were going to move a corner why not Quin who was rated a the 7th best FS in the nations when he enterred the draft. I just don't see it happening although I have advocated that in the past. Most you remember my pushing of Ansah. Dallas will benefit from that move.
Old 09-08-2010   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Sept 8th revised mock by Walter @#28 Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. Signing Schobel would have been a great move because in order to finally beat Peyton Manning, Houston will have to generate as monstrous a pass rush as possible. Greg Romeus could definitely help in that department as a bookend across from Mario Williams, with Connor Barwin coming in on passing downs.

Pick change; previously DeAndre McDaniel, S
Old 09-08-2010   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Interesting note alluding to major "character issues" of my #1 QB choice for Texans. I'm gonna have to research this.
Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Major character issues will eventually surface regarding Ryan Mallett. Let's just say that he won't be too focused when watching game film at the next level. So with that in mind, the Bengals will really be interested in Round 2.

Carson Palmer was pretty pedestrian last year. If he struggles again this season, it'll be apparent that he'll never be 100 percent in the wake of all of his injuries. Thus, the team may consider a quarterback early in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Pick change; previously Pat Devlin, QB
Old 09-08-2010   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

At #60 a DT makes more sense than a WR to me. Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Pick change; previously Terrance Toliver, WR
Old 10-16-2010   #52
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Oct. 14, 2010

27. Houston Texans: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

59. Houston Texans: Will Hill, FS, Florida
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,718 passing yards in the first five weeks of the season. It's so bad that even started Bruce Gradkowski in one of my leagues two weeks ago.

The Texans were desperate and started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

Pick change; previously Curtis Brown, CB

91. Houston Texans: Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.
Old 10-16-2010   #53
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

My 2c as a Nebraska fan on Crick.

He was dynamic and awesome last year, but I think that was a lot about playing next to Suh.

This year he is still good but I don't see him impacting games in a way that justifies he being a 1st round pick.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

I fail to see their logic in the pecking order? doubt Texans still project to be selecting late as #27 that being said take the best impact defensive player around the 20th selection. Have my sights set on Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2010   #55
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Nolan didn't look "disastrous" to me against the Giants. Eli wasn't bombing down the middle of the field..He was completing a lot of intermediate and side line stuff.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #56
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

20. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,919 passing yards in the first six weeks of the season. Eugene Wilson has been awful, and the Texans were so desperate that they started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT

52. Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.

Greg Romeus has barely played this year, but had 11.5 TFL and eight sacks in 2009.

Pick change; previously Will Hill, FS

84. Houston Texans: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Pick change; previously Jabaal Sheard, DE
Old 10-21-2010   #57
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We use 2 of first 3 picks on DLine ? Sounds good to me.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
20. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,919 passing yards in the first six weeks of the season. Eugene Wilson has been awful, and the Texans were so desperate that they started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT

52. Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh

Greg Romeus has barely played this year, but had 11.5 TFL and eight sacks in 2009.

Pick change; previously Will Hill, FS

84. Houston Texans: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Pick change; previously Jabaal Sheard, DE

I'd prefer Brandon Harris-CB in the 1st round and to get an experienced FS in FA but I could certainly live with this.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #59
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I fail to see their logic in the pecking order? doubt Texans still project to be selecting late as #27 that being said take the best impact defensive player around the 20th selection. Have my sights set on Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue.
Dont know where the Texans will be picking but the two guys I want the Texans to take are Aaron Wiliams in the 12-20 range. Or Kerrigan in the 20-30 range.

If the Texans are picking 12-15 and get Williams. I would trade back into the bottom of the 1st rd and take Kerrigan. Of course the Texans wont do this but it would go along way to solving the problems on this defense.

This will all be a moot point come draft day because the guys I want the Texans to take in the offseason always move up 10 spots by draft day. That and the fact I'm losing faith in R.Smith's ability to procure top talent in the draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #60
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
We use 2 of first 3 picks on DLine ? Sounds good to me.
Sounds terrible to me. Texans haven't been able to get what we should out of first round DTs. Dts in the first are such boom or bust propositions. I'd rather just stay away from them and use our first on a spot we know we're going to get production out of the gate.

I'd really like to see a FS in the first.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read