Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,337
Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks. Your comments give me something to watch for this season. If all goes well with our current roster and group of draftees, I am hoping a very good FS will be available LATE in first when we select.
if Texans select LATE in 1st rd. I doubt it's going to be a FS. Wilson should finally be healthy & Barber pushes him with Nolan providing quality depth.

looking for a big time Center who can hold the point of attack against 3-4 nose tackles, see Mike Pouncey, Florida
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Beerlover, I hope you are right in thinking that FS becomes a non-need position. It would be great to fill that hole at center. I shudder when I look at the schedule, seeing who might be going up against Meyers. However, I am not as confident as you are. I still think that at some point during the draft, the Texans have to pick up a FS. Even if Barber or Nolan pan out (I doubt both will, but I hope I am wrong), there still needs to be a depth pick as Wilson is growing old.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #23
JB
Old Curmudgeon
 
JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Willis
Age: 58
Posts: 22,395
Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Beerlover, I hope you are right in thinking that FS becomes a non-need position. It would be great to fill that hole at center. I shudder when I look at the schedule, seeing who might be going up against Meyers. However, I am not as confident as you are. I still think that at some point during the draft, the Texans have to pick up a FS. Even if Barber or Nolan pan out (I doubt both will, but I hope I am wrong), there still needs to be a depth pick as Wilson is growing old.
I'm just hoping they pan out so it does not have to be a first or second round pick unless that is the best available player.
__________________
Thanks to False Start for the sig
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #24
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame
 
Texan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Section: My couch
Age: 24
Posts: 4,086
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #25
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.
dang I forgot about this thread, sorry. I am hopeful like Beerlover on FS but agree with 65 that until proven otherwise during this season, FS remains a need. However, if the 2011 draft is as deep as the last one, we should be able to get a solid safety in 2nd round and look at Pouncey in first.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #26
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
dang I forgot about this thread, sorry. I am hopeful like Beerlover on FS but agree with 65 that until proven otherwise during this season, FS remains a need. However, if the 2011 draft is as deep as the last one, we should be able to get a solid safety in 2nd round and look at Pouncey in first.
Hmm, I think I am still on FS in the first, OC in the second. I think Pouncey is being rated higher than he should be due to name recognition with his brother. He is a second round prospect in my eyes.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #27
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hmm, I think I am still on FS in the first, OC in the second. I think Pouncey is being rated higher than he should be due to name recognition with his brother. He is a second round prospect in my eyes.
I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2010   #28
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?
Smith in 2 years? Do you mean Meyers, or are we projecting someone else takes the center spot?

Was Mike Pouncey really rated higher as a center? Thats strange, because his brother played center last year, while Mike played guard. And not to the tune of a 2nd round pick, 3rd/4th is what I have.

As far as centers in the 2nd, I dont know. TCUs Jake Kirkpatrick is a player I intend to watch this year, but I have him as a 5th now. Stanford's Chase Beeler did well last year, helping Gerhart have his monster season. But still, not a second rounder. Ohio State's Mike Brewster is another good one to watch, but I am still trying to figure out if he is a guard or center at the next level. I also really like Arizona's Baxter and Georgia Tech's Sean Bedford.

As you see, tons of names, and thats only the tip of the iceberg. I plan to focus on this position a lot more than I did last year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,337
Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?
I'm still more worried about the OL than the secondary. lets just compare the off-season aquistions. The Texans spent

Secondary:
1st rd pick - Kareem Jackson
5th rd pick - Sherrick McManis

OL/C:
6th rd pick - Shelly Smith
FA - Wade Smith (not listed on depth chart?)

I like how they built both areas to have lots of versatility, but the upside @ Center position is far less compelling than what they have now @ FS. Myers is our stating center, jouneymen (except in Kubiaks system) with Chris White & Wade Smith backing him up. Eugene Wilson is bound to bounce back healthy but will be in a dogfight anyway to hold off Barber, throw in Nolan & possibly even McManis who looks natural for FS you have great competition, depth & talent.

I know its early to make this kind of call (before training camp) but I'm saying Pouncey is an excellent prospect to add next off season.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #30
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Smith in 2 years? Do you mean Meyers, or are we projecting someone else takes the center spot?

Was Mike Pouncey really rated higher as a center? Thats strange, because his brother played center last year, while Mike played guard. And not to the tune of a 2nd round pick, 3rd/4th is what I have.

As far as centers in the 2nd, I dont know. TCUs Jake Kirkpatrick is a player I intend to watch this year, but I have him as a 5th now. Stanford's Chase Beeler did well last year, helping Gerhart have his monster season. But still, not a second rounder. Ohio State's Mike Brewster is another good one to watch, but I am still trying to figure out if he is a guard or center at the next level. I also really like Arizona's Baxter and Georgia Tech's Sean Bedford.

As you see, tons of names, and thats only the tip of the iceberg. I plan to focus on this position a lot more than I did last year.
I have Smith beating out Studdard but rumors I hear is Kubes will not replace Studdard. I think Smith beats out Myers. My question is what late 2nd round center will beat out whoever is our starter by 2012 season?

Concerning the Pounceys: Maurkice under investigation for allegedly accepting $100,000 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398414

Mike is #2 center on NFLDraftscout behind Wisniewski and further research show Maurkice rated higher at center. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2011&genpos=C

The play of Oline will shape my mock for 2011 as hopefully center will not be a problem area. The offense was pretty good last season and the bevy (yeah, I said it) of RBs is going to be awesome!
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #31
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have Smith beating out Studdard but rumors I hear is Kubes will not replace Studdard. I think Smith beats out Myers. My question is what late 2nd round center will beat out whoever is our starter by 2012 season?

Concerning the Pounceys: Maurkice under investigation for allegedly accepting $100,000 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398414

Mike is #2 center on NFLDraftscout behind Wisniewski and further research show Maurkice rated higher at center. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2011&genpos=C

The play of Oline will shape my mock for 2011 as hopefully center will not be a problem area. The offense was pretty good last season and the bevy (yeah, I said it) of RBs is going to be awesome!
Hmm, I could see it happening. However, Kubiak seems very happy with what we have at center. We have not brought in a serious threat to him. Guard at least seems a contested position.

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #32
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hmm, I could see it happening. However, Kubiak seems very happy with what we have at center. We have not brought in a serious threat to him. Guard at least seems a contested position.

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.
Man. if they are paying Smith to back up that may not have been a good signing. Thanks for heads up on Walter. I saw it but was not able to review. Will take a peek now.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #33
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,652
Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Jeez, he has us picking 29th now

Is it me or is this draft looking incredibly potentially deep if some of the younger guys declare?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #34
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Jeez, he has us picking 29th now

Is it me or is this draft looking incredibly potentially deep if some of the younger guys declare?
I was wondering if anyone would notice where we were selecting. I hope he is correct. Going into the season(college and pro) my focus will be on free safety as I continue to think that is our major weakness. Hopefully, Wilson will have a healthy season and at least one of the candidates behind him will step up. I would like to see Quin and Bryce McCain get some time there during TC but I doubt that will occur. Of the potentials at FS I don't see much in any but the top 6 or 7. I hope we can resolve FS with the 2nd allowing us to go best player in first.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #35
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,652
Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

With Luck, Locker, Williams, Ingram, Floyd, Green, and Baldwin all potentially declaring for this draft, I can't imagine passing on one if any fall to us.

Talk about a number of offensive weapons.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #36
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,941
Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hmm, I could see it happening. However, Kubiak seems very happy with what we have at center. We have not brought in a serious threat to him. Guard at least seems a contested position.

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.
McDaniel arrested for assault in 2008. In June 2008, McDaniel was arrested for assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature after an argument with his girlfriend. McDaniel reportedly punched his girlfriend in the head and then pushed her down a flight of stairs.[2]

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeAndre_McDaniel
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/clemson/11752

Now the other side by alleged witness :http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...Daniel_arrest/

And then anger management http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...ervention_ass/


Anyone think McNair would allow him to be drafted?
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #37
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,800
Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

So I'm back on the board for a while.

To start with, I was really impressed with Crick last season with his ability to shoot the B gap on a hard slant across from Suh. With that said, he was still next to Suh. I will hold judgement on Crick until I see him play well without Suh.

If we're drafting anywhere close to where Walters has us, we aren't going to find a FS without many holes (Berry, Sean Taylor).

I don't want us to draft any more DT's. I know our guys haven't produced like they should, but at some point I stop trusting our talent evaluators at that position. It's a tough position to project because of the physical requirements. As far as Austin goes, I love the dude, but he's not a top 5 guy. He hasn't produced like he's capable of, and that worries me. He hasn't played up to his potential in his 3 years, so regardless of his ceiling, he's just another underachiever for now.

I'm against RB's in the first round unless they are AD types. Ryan Matthews was not and I am very glad we didn't wind up with him.

OL is a whole different beast. I still think Brown is best suited inside at LG, and I think drafting a premier LT would upgrade two positions. I'll be interested to see if Kubiak let's his personal interest go in the spirit of fair competition with the RG position. I still have hope that Caldwell will be able to transition to OC.

We still don't have much in the way of a speed end. Smith was an ok signing last year, and he's a solid NFL DE/DT by all means, but we don't need a DE/DT playing outside. We need a DE/OLB type. A Jerry Hughes or Dummerville type. Though granted, every team needs that type of player.

I'm still very skeptical about our secondary as a whole, we have bodies, but we don't have that much talent, and we have even less proven talent. When Barber is being considered for PT, our team has a problem. I'd like to see Nolan pan out, but I honestly don't ever see it happening. I'm also incredibly nervous about our sophomore slump for CBs.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #38
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
So I'm back on the board for a while.

To start with, I was really impressed with Crick last season with his ability to shoot the B gap on a hard slant across from Suh. With that said, he was still next to Suh. I will hold judgement on Crick until I see him play well without Suh.

If we're drafting anywhere close to where Walters has us, we aren't going to find a FS without many holes (Berry, Sean Taylor).

I don't want us to draft any more DT's. I know our guys haven't produced like they should, but at some point I stop trusting our talent evaluators at that position. It's a tough position to project because of the physical requirements. As far as Austin goes, I love the dude, but he's not a top 5 guy. He hasn't produced like he's capable of, and that worries me. He hasn't played up to his potential in his 3 years, so regardless of his ceiling, he's just another underachiever for now.

I'm against RB's in the first round unless they are AD types. Ryan Matthews was not and I am very glad we didn't wind up with him.

OL is a whole different beast. I still think Brown is best suited inside at LG, and I think drafting a premier LT would upgrade two positions. I'll be interested to see if Kubiak let's his personal interest go in the spirit of fair competition with the RG position. I still have hope that Caldwell will be able to transition to OC.

We still don't have much in the way of a speed end. Smith was an ok signing last year, and he's a solid NFL DE/DT by all means, but we don't need a DE/DT playing outside. We need a DE/OLB type. A Jerry Hughes or Dummerville type. Though granted, every team needs that type of player.

I'm still very skeptical about our secondary as a whole, we have bodies, but we don't have that much talent, and we have even less proven talent. When Barber is being considered for PT, our team has a problem. I'd like to see Nolan pan out, but I honestly don't ever see it happening. I'm also incredibly nervous about our sophomore slump for CBs.
Probably one of the more honest assessments of the team that I've seen lately. I agree with it.

Crick might be good, but I don't trust drafting a DT in the first, not with this staff.

Doubt we see a RB taken high next year, unless someone ridiculous falls in our lap.

Wasn't a big draft Barwin fan last year, but I do hope he does turn into that LB/DE pass rusher you talk about as well.

I'm also nervous about our secondary. We're counting on an awful lot of young unproven guys at CB. Quinn had a nice rookie campaign, it's going to be a matter of him at least repeating if we're going to be ok at CB.

Love Pollard, but it's real shaky past him far as our safeties go. Wilson can't keep healthy, and even then he's a lower tier NFL starter. I'm still not overtly impressed by Barber. I, like you, would love it if Nolan pans out. Not counting on it though.

I would love to see Caldwell worked at Center, but it doesn't look like that's where the staff wants him. It will be interesting to see where Smith gets reps as camp moves on at LG, C, or possibly even RG.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #39
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce
 
Mari-OWNED!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 26
Posts: 693
Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.
I'm a big fan of Dowling. He has first round talent that can play cornerback or free safety.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #40
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 mock by Walter

Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger