Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2005   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How many sacks

would we average for the season and per game if we went with this linebacker lineup in your honest opinion?

Babin Wong Greenwood - Peek

Season................................60+

Per Game..............................4
Old 03-14-2005   #2
cadahnic
All Pro

Not a chance we average 4 sacks per game with that lineup. Who will be our main tackler (sharper's position) It is not Greenwood. Peek can tear up in coverage and in the backfield, but he will catch the injury bug as the season wears on. Babin will maybe double his sack output this year maybe even triple it, but wong in the middle will not get many sacks and Greenwood also will not. Our best rusher last year was Peek and D-Rob we should look into letting Earl blitz more since he was quite good at in college.
Last year we averaged about 1.5 per game you are giving us a huge jump with an unproven lineup. Peek will be huge as a starter, and Wong and Greenwood will work coverage the question is how good will Babin, R. Smith, D-Rob, Earl, Payne+ draft picks be at getting sacks.

I see us averaging about 2.5 pergame which would put us at about 40 for the season
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

40 sacks would put us near the top of the league based on this years stats. I could go for that. I suspect with that group that we would struggle to get to the middle of the league in run support though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #4
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think our LB's will get around 25 sacks. That is a step up from previous years.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #5
cadahnic
All Pro

Man our linebackers only had 14.5 sacks last year you are talking about one unit going up 10.5 sacks in one year without any major pass rushing signing as of yet. That is highly unlikely!!
Old 03-14-2005   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We have increased our LB speed. With Greenwood and Wong on the inside, we have more speed on the inside. They plan on doing more blitzing from the inside as well. That opens things up for Babin and Peek (or whoever is our ROLB). I think the ILB's will combine for about 8-10 sacks and the OLB's will have around 14-16.
Old 03-14-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

Greenwood has never had more than 1.5 sacks in a year and either Wong or Greenwood will have to take up the slack of tackling. come on Ogre to think that our ILBs in a 3-4 system are going to go for 8-10 sacks is really wishing, but delusional dreamworlds are all the rave nowadays.
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Seau never had more than 3 sacks in the Miami system either. They get them from their DE's. Hard to compare schemes like this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #9
cadahnic
All Pro

3 is the amount that Greenwood has had his whole career, and you are right, but Greenwood was a blitzer in the Miami system that is why I brought it up, Seau was the roamer and Zach Thomas was the tackler. the point I am trying to make is we have to have each of these in place in order to garner sacks in our system and we add a coverage backer which is going to be greenwood. Wong was our leader in sacks and will be put inside which will take his sack total down likely by 2 with peek in the lineup he we will force at least 5 more turnovers and acquire 5 more sacks due to his pressure. I am going to give BABIN the benefit of the doubt and say he will blossom this year, but he is no Terrell Suggs hopefully he can at least be a Kevin greene. By the way did anyone notice the guy we gave up in Posey had 10 sacks for the Chargers this year. WHAT A *****!!
Old 03-14-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

I meant Foley sorry!!
Old 03-14-2005   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Here are some ILB's who have gotten sacks:
Kendrall Bell
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235195
Tedy Bruschi
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3189
Even our Jamie Sharper had some
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4250

I don't think 8-10 is that unreasonable if we do plan on doing some interior blitzes.
Old 03-14-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
I am going to give BABIN the benefit of the doubt and say he will blossom this year, but he is no Terrell Suggs hopefully he can at least be a Kevin greene.
Just as a side note, Kevin Greene didn't get his 17th (total) sack until his 4th year in the league. He went on to be a terror at OLB after he matured as a player in the NFL and had several double digit sack years...but it didn't happen right away.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #13
cadahnic
All Pro

I know that Vinny that is what I am saying about Babin. I hope that is the situation even though in today's football if you dont produce in your first three you get to produce with another team.
Old 03-14-2005   #14
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say we should have somewhere between 32-38 range...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #15
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
would we average for the season and per game if we went with this linebacker lineup in your honest opinion?

Babin Wong Greenwood - Peek

Season................................60+

Per Game..............................4
can you say HOMER?
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

haha Joe Texan isnt no homer, i actually can see where he's coming from by saying 60+. I do like the LB crew we have this year better than last years !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #17
outofhnd
All Pro

Wong will be an excelent inside tackler definately an upgrade from foreman not to mention with this line backing core, they have lined up on different sides they have all played at different ends so it helps scheme where we could move wong outside for a play and have speedsters Peek and Greenwood drop in coverage. To me it just looks more versatile and athletic than the lineup we had last year.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin - 8
Wong - 3
Greenwood - 2
Peek - 7

It's hard to speculate how many sacks Greenwood and Peek would have since Morlon was never used as a pass rusher and Peek has never started a full season, so these numbers could easily go up, but I doubt our starting LBs get over 30 sacks this year...
Old 03-16-2005   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

I wish our sack total was equal to the number of snaps the opposing teams take against us :woot
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #20
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

40 sacks on the year isnt bad. im guaranteeing at least 9 for peek, 6 for babin, 3 for wong, 3 for greenwood, walker with 3 or 4, robaire with 2, seth with 2, earl for 2, dunta for 3, and 4 for any other reserves. that totals 41 sacks

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read