Join Date: May 2004
AJ:NFL Record and Fact Book is a must if you call yourself a fan
Back in the old days before Adobe invented pdf, I used to really look forward to running down to the local Barnes and Noble (or equivalent) and pick up my annual copy of the NFL Record and Fact Book.
Either that or beg for it for Christmas.
But since they've come out online every year, I've gotten away from buying the hardcopy. That's good and bad.
It's good because it's convenient to Google and click and view these things on your laptop as you're sitting on your back patio drinking a beer and feeding peanuts to squirrels.
But it's bad because you can't reach over and pull it off the shelf and hold it in your hands like this one I'm holding now - with Doug Williams, Super Bowl MVP on the cover. There's something about holding it in your hands.
The 2010 NFL Record and Fact Book is out and since I just flipped through it to see what's new, I thought I'd share a few things that caught my eye. Reader note. It's a humongous file - 826 pages of pdf so if you are on a slow internet connection, don't even try to download it. It takes a while to load, even on high speed connections.
# Matt Schaub is listed as the #8 'top active passer' in the NFL (in terms of QB rating) behind Rodgers, Rivers, Romo, Manning, Brady, Brees, and Roethlisberger.
# Jacoby Jones is listed as #10 on the 'top active punt returner' list (40 returns or more) with a 10.9 average.
# Looking through the active NFL coaches career winning records, only one coach with 4 years or more of service has fewer wins than Gary Kubiak. Can you name him? (answer at the bottom)
# Despite his reputation as a great coach, Bill Belichick is still only 14th all time in career wins among NFL coaches. He will pass Bud Grant this year if the Pats win 11 games.
# In the "what to look for in 2010" section, it says Andre Johnson needs only three games with 10 catches and 100 yards to become the NFL all time leader in that category (ahead of Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice)
# 34% of the players selected in the 2010 NFL Draft (87 of 255) were defensive backs and linebackers.
# The Texans single game home attendance record of 71,153 was set on November 23, 2009 (MNF 20-17 loss to the Titans). The Texans single season home record was set in 2004 (555, 421).
# The Texans single game rushing record is held by Domanick (Davis) Williams - 158 yards during a 21-0 win at Jacksonville that I watched with Texans fans at a bar in South Austin ... the weekend Reggie White passed away ... funny how you remember things....
* he Texans record for most points in a game is 42, set during a 42-28 win over Jacksonville in 2007.
* The Texans are the only team since the merger in 1970 without a playoff berth. Carolina has the next fewest with 4 playoff appearances.
* The Texans all time road record is 19-45. (do you want me to quit now?)
* Matt Turk was the 4th oldest player in the league last year (Carney, Feagles, Stover)
* Over the last three seasons, Andre Johnson leads the NFL with 3,995 receiving yards
* Mario Williams is 3rd in the NFL in sacks over the past three seasons behind only DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen
* The Texans are 5th in the NFL over the past two seasons in total yards with 17,579
* Name the four NFL teams besides the Texans that have never retired a jersey number (answer below)
* The Jacksonville television market is smaller than twenty markets without NFL teams, including places like Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, and Grand Rapids- Kalamazoo- Battle Creek
You get the idea.
People who say that they don't know what to get me for my birthday have obviously never been to a liquor store