Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-11-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Running Back Depth Setting Up Nicely in Houston

Quote:
Training Camp is 21 days away, and the Houston Texans primary two news sites have shed light on the Texans’ running back depth: (1) Arian Foster; (2) Steve Slaton; (3) Ben Tate.

The Houston Chronicle’s Richard Justice reported this week that Arian Foster has “made a believer of coaches that were once skeptical he could help.” Justice’s report is no surprise after Foster’s impressive two-game finale to 2009 and a load of reports announcing Foster’s number one on the Texans running back depthchart.

N.D. Kalu, without hesitation, told that Drew Dougherty of HoustonTexans.com that out of the nine rookies drafted, Ben Tate is the most intriguing heading into 2010:
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/0...ridIron+Gab%29
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Back Depth Setting Up Nicely in Houston

Its going to be interesting to see who gets the starting job ar running back this upcoming season. I hope Steve Slaton can go back to his old form and perform as he did during his rookie season with Tate sharing the load and Foster as our 3rd-down and goaline back.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Starter or possibly gonna be RBBC. Possibly Foster / Tate splitting and Slaton doing 3rd down back as I think he was originally brought in for?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I would prefer if we had a three headed monster running attack, ala the New York Giants with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuban Droughns. That group got 1886 yards on the ground. Jacobs was the main guy and got 1009, Ward was the second at 602, and Droughns was the goal line/3rd down guy with 275.

I would like to see Foster/Tate to start alternative series to keep them fresh then bring in Slaton as a third down back/goal line guy.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

who cares who starts, production by all three is all that matters. a ground game to protect a lead would be nice
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I would love to see Slaton used on slot screens and pitches. Anytime there's a FB on the field, I want to see Foster or Tate behind him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Slaton and Tate/Foster on the field at the same time, with Casey at FB.
Old 07-11-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really have a preference as to what roles these guys take at this point. I'd rather just go with the guy who's producing at the moment untill they prove that they excel in certain roles.

If one back is ripping apart a defense, I'd rather just ride the hot hand...It's nice to atleast be talking about that possibility as a Texans fan...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2010   #8
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya, I want the Texans to be a fantasy football players nightmare. I want production from all three, don't care who starts, just get it done son!
Old 07-11-2010   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I would love to see Slaton used on slot screens and pitches. Anytime there's a FB on the field, I want to see Foster or Tate behind him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Slaton and Tate/Foster on the field at the same time, with Casey at FB.
Agree. With the offensive mind set between GK and OC Rick Dennison and all those weapons I don't see why we won't field an offensive unit that every team we play will have to highly respect. Up the middle or over the top, pick your poison.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Agree. With the offensive mind set between GK and OC Rick Dennison and all those weapons I don't see why we won't field an offensive unit that every team we play will have to highly respect. Up the middle or over the top, pick your poison.
That's taking for granted that the RB and TE positions are not mysteriously decimated by the time the early part of the season gets on its way, as has happened too often in the past.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That's taking for granted that the RB and TE positions are not mysteriously decimated by the time the early part of the season gets on its way, as has happened too often in the past.
Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!
Old 07-11-2010   #12
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!
Yeah, what he said

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, what he said
Yeh, what they both said.
Old 07-11-2010   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I would prefer if we had a three headed monster running attack, ala the New York Giants with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuban Droughns. That group got 1886 yards on the ground. Jacobs was the main guy and got 1009, Ward was the second at 602, and Droughns was the goal line/3rd down guy with 275.

I would like to see Foster/Tate to start alternative series to keep them fresh then bring in Slaton as a third down back/goal line guy.
havent looked it up but im 99% sure you're mixing up reuben droughns (has he even been in the league lately?) and ahmad bradshaw but ya thats what id be hopin for too. theyd be nice & fresh for the playoffs then
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

It was Bradshaw indeed.
Old 07-11-2010   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
havent looked it up but im 99% sure you're mixing up reuben droughns (has he even been in the league lately?) and ahmad bradshaw but ya thats what id be hopin for too. theyd be nice & fresh for the playoffs then
Did you know that Reuben Droughns was nicknamed "The Party Starter" while playing for the Browns? I sure didn't.
Old 07-12-2010   #17
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am surprised that Tate is number 3 on the list, I figured that he would be the number 2 guy one way or another.

I hope Foster does well but for some reason I just do not have that much confidence in him.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I am surprised that Tate is number 3 on the list, I figured that he would be the number 2 guy one way or another.

I hope Foster does well but for some reason I just do not have that much confidence in him.
How much value can one possibly legitamately put into depth charts created pre-training camp? Unless "someone" is hell-bent to force the round pegs into square holes (which we have seen too often in past years), they should mean much of nothing.
Old 07-12-2010   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post

Before this past season started, Steve Slaton himself said that he couldn't wait to see what Foster could do in a game because what he would see of him in practice.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as the Texans are a legitimate threat to run the ball at any time, the play action pass will work even better than it did last year without a running game.

And as others said, who cares who starts as long as it's working.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read