Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-11-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Hindsight 20-20: Kareem Jackson or Leigh Bodden?

Quote:
Remember back in early March when everyone was freaking out because Dunta Robinson bolted for Atlanta and the Texans were down to Jacques Reeves, Glover Quin, and Fred Bennett as their top three corners?

Then Leigh Bodden came to town for what turned out to be a free agency leverage visit, and by the reaction of Texans fans, you would have thought Justin Bieber jumped out of a cake at your daughter's 13th birthday party.

As Chris Farley would ask Paul McCartney, "you remember that? .. that was awesome!"

Fast forward four months and Texans first round draft pick Kareem Jackson has reportedly been making good progress in the transition from the SEC to the NFL.

Of course none of us, including his coaches, will know just how good his progress is until he lines up against Peyton Manning in Week One.

For the record, I expect the Texans will give Jackson as much help as they can during his trial-by-fire NFL debut. But I also expect them to challenge Jackson and put him into situations where they can measure what he's capable of doing against the league's best.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...nel-rss-Sports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Hindsight 20-20: Kareem Jackson or Leigh Bodden?

Maybe the question should be Kareem Jackson or Leigh Bodden AND Dan Williams or Brian Bulaga? Because if the Texans had signed a vet free agent at CB, they wouldn't have had to force a pick at CB. And could have gone BPA.
Old 07-11-2010   #3
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

My Dad always told me "the proof's in the pudding".

Everyone recalls the excitement when he made his visit. Facebook, Twitter, hell everything just short of a housewarming party. He got his bid and went back home.

Draft day: enter #1 pick Kareem Jackson. Folks were upset we didn't draft Kyle Wilson out of Boise St (who was listed as a franchise prospect here:http://cfn.scout.com/2/856960.html) or Devin McCourty, Rutgers (listed as #3 here:http://walterfootball.com/draft2010CB.php) BTW, Kareem was listed at #22 in the BEST OF THE REST catagory at cfn.scout.com.

Coaches like/needed the fact that he' s game ready, the others with more "upside". I understand the upside view to a point. My question is since Kareem was exposed to Saban's hands on coaching during his collegiate career and he's ready to go day 1, how many years does it take the other guys to get to where he is now? And when they get there, what in the "upside" indicates they'll exceed Kareem's topside since he got a 3 year head start?

I'm sure I'm like a lot of others in that I can't wait to see how their careers go from here. I'll certainly be paying attention 'cause "the proof's in the pudding".

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Maybe the question should be Kareem Jackson or Leigh Bodden AND Dan Williams or Brian Bulaga? Because if the Texans had signed a vet free agent at CB, they wouldn't have had to force a pick at CB. And could have gone BPA.
How do we even know that the Texans would take one of those guys?

Maybe they would have traded up for Earl Thomas? Or traded down or who knows...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
i really liked dan williams as well. time will tell but i think jackson is gonna work out for us.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For the record, I expect the Texans will give Jackson as much help as they can during his trial-by-fire NFL debut. But I also expect them to challenge Jackson and put him into situations where they can measure what he's capable of doing against the league's best.
I'm very hopeful that Jackson can live up to our expectations. And I do believe he has a good chance of being a surprising jewel. Of all defensive positions, CB is a very difficult one "to protect" from deficiency.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I wanted Kyle Wilson over JAckson, I am going with Jackson over Bodden. The next season for each may have the FA over the draft pick but I think Jackson will overtake him by year two if not sooner.
Old 07-13-2010   #8
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly there has to have been something the scouts didnt like in Kyle Wilson, or else he wouldnt have ended up with the Jets.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, It's going to take a lot longer than just game one against the colts to know how good the pick was or not. That's just about tough a start to one's career at CB that you could ask for. I suspect more along the lines the end of the season to be able to judge his progress. And of course hoping he makes a leap forward in his second year as well will provide the results of that draft choice.

How does one measure upside anyway, it's all so subjective. I realize things like raw atheleticism, etc go into scouts saying that, but remember Demeco slipped to the 2nd round because he was tad slow in the 40 and a tad undersized.
Old 07-13-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
IMO, It's going to take a lot longer than just game one against the colts to know how good the pick was or not. That's just about tough a start to one's career at CB that you could ask for. I suspect more along the lines the end of the season to be able to judge his progress. And of course hoping he makes a leap forward in his second year as well will provide the results of that draft choice.

How does one measure upside anyway, it's all so subjective. I realize things like raw atheleticism, etc go into scouts saying that, but remember Demeco slipped to the 2nd round because he was tad slow in the 40 and a tad undersized.
excatly. look back to last season & Cushing's learning curve vs Peyton & Clark. Game one Dallas had 14 receptions for 119 yards, Cushing was always just out of position to make a play but still recoverd to make the tackle 12 times in fact. In the second meeting Dallas Clark was limited to 9 receptions for 63 yards while Cushing still got his 11 tackles or so. I expect Kareem to have a similar fast track learning curve.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like AJ and respect most of his work, but I couldn't disagree with this article more.

It assumes that this was an x "OR" y equation when it's not. Bodden chose to resign in N.E. There was no guarantee that if we had thrown x more amount of money at him, that he would've left a team that perenially makes the playoffs vs a team still looking to get over the hump. The FO wisely decided they weren't going to overpay for a guy that isn't elite.

Unforunately as well it just wasn't a good crop of FA at CB this year.

Far as a choice goes hard to say. Were we going after him because he was the best name available outside of Dunta or because schematically he fit well? I know this much, schematically Kareem looks like what they are looking for in a corner, at least based on his play at Bama.

On the other hand you do know what you're going to get from Bodden, a not elite CB, while Jackson looks like he has the potential to turn into one.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing the "what-if" game passes as reporting? What if the Texans franchised Dunta again. Bleh. AJ is one of my must-reads but this article gets a thumbs down. It must still be the off-season.

Football can't get here soon enough!
Old 07-14-2010   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Its the offseason AJ is trying to supplement us with a valid question which in the first paragraph he states the Texans were simply used by Bodden to leverage the Patriots.

I would like to say I nailed the Kareem Jackson pick but I didn't nobody did expect for maybe Spencer Tillman, but a CB was probably the correct choice given the Texans need @ that corner position. I've seen KJ in pads @ mini camp & he looks the part, he is also a very smart player he may give up the underneath garbage but only the best are going to beat him deep which is important given the Texans FS position. I expect him to get called for holding a couple times against the Colts but he'll learn.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

The way I look at it now, Kareem Jackson is going against the best passing offense in the NFL in 2009, and lining up against the best reciever in the NFL.
I can't imagine a better training scenario for the young rookie.

I fully expect for him to be ready week 1 against the Colts.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

It's way too early for "hindsight".

In terms of THIS season, I thought Bodden would be the better pick. However, KJ solidifies the position over the long term.
Old 08-31-2010   #16
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry for the old bump but Bodden done for the season. Placed on IR.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Sorry for the old bump but Bodden done for the season. Placed on IR.
How much guaranteed? Damn the luck for the Pats.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I guess we did make the right decision after all...
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard this on the way home tonight and LMAO.. Not so much as it being that a player is hurt for the season, but laughing at how emotional folks got around here whenever Bodden first came to visit, after he re-signed with his former and team AND how cheap Bob McNair was... Good freakin' times!!!
Old 08-31-2010   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't heard anywhere that Jackson is making a good transition to the NFL. I've heard the exact opposite, that he's flashed talent but lacks consistency. IMHO, Brice McCain is gonna be the starter opposite Quin. Yes, Jackson had a pick against Dallas, but that was really trash time and not due to coverage, but a tipped ball. Yes, I know that tipped balls count, but don't make it out that Jackson is the next Revis. Give him a year, and maybe he will be.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read