Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2010   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans push Amobi Okoye to finish

Quote:
He’s got to find another level and I think he understands that,” general manager Rick Smith said. “He’s got to find another level of production, he’s got to find another level of intensity, and I think he gets that. We’re expecting to see that.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...koye-to-finish
Old 07-08-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans push Amobi Okoye to finish

It will be his year, one way or the other.
Old 07-08-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It will be his year, one way or the other.
Yep, I am hoping it all comes together for him this year. The rotation of Smith, Okoye and Mitchell inside on passing downs will be awesome.
Old 07-08-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yep, I am hoping it all comes together for him this year. The rotation of Smith, Okoye and Mitchell inside on passing downs will be awesome.
Personally, I'd like to keep Smith outside, and improve that rotation.
Old 07-08-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice article, JB. I'm beginning to really like Kollar. He sounds like the hard ass we need to coach the Dline.

On Okoye, I no longer care if he's a 1st rounder or not and it sounds like Kollar's thinking the same thing. Who ever wins the position should start. Period
Old 07-08-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think that Smith is a much more disruptive pass rusher from the inside. And Kollar apparantly thinks the same. But if Mitchell and Okoye can step up, then that gives Bush a lot more versatility in what he can do with those 3 plus Barwin and Mario.
Old 07-08-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nice article, JB. I'm beginning to really like Kollar. He sounds like the hard ass we need to coach the Dline.

On Okoye, I no longer care if he's a 1st rounder or not and it sounds like Kollar's thinking the same thing. Who ever wins the position should start. Period
Totally agree. I also find it interesting that Okoye has been battling injuries that we did not know about...ie. the bulging disc.
Old 07-08-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you keep Smith outside, where does that leave Barwin?

From what I saw Smith was pretty good getting after the QB from the interior...

Any particular reason you don't want him inside?

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, because I think that we could throw a lot of combinations out there and still get results...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okoye was listed at 315 pounds last season and played at around 300. He is currently 283. Is lighter the way to go? If he gives up any ability to hold the point of attack, we may well be asking if it was a smart trade-off for a bit more quickness, but he’s hoping to hold up better at a lighter weight and being quicker than his blocker.
I've always believed that you should maximize your strenghts and play to them.
Everybody can't be good at everything.
Old 07-08-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If you keep Smith outside, where does that leave Barwin?
My thinking is that if we can find someone to replace Smith on the inside, then he can actually take a break when Barwin is in. So when Smith goes back out, he is actually stronger and faster, than when he has to sub inside.

I want to keep Mario, Barwin, and Smith fresh, so they can give us 100% each and every snap for 60 minutes.

I'd also like a similar situation inside. Just don't know who we've got inside to do it.
Old 07-08-2010   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My thinking is that if we can find someone to replace Smith on the inside, then he can actually take a break when Barwin is in. So when Smith goes back out, he is actually stronger and faster, than when he has to sub inside.

I want to keep Mario, Barwin, and Smith fresh, so they can give us 100% each and every snap for 60 minutes.

I'd also like a similar situation inside. Just don't know who we've got inside to do it.
We want the best 4 pass rushers on the field in those situations. Considering Smith is our best pass rushing DT, I'd think you'd want to have this replacement take Okoye's spot. Smith has proven he can rush from that position, Okoye has not.
Old 07-08-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Thats a good point.

I don't think it will be as simple as this guy is gonna be in on that play, and this guy is gonna be in on that play though.

Like if we are playing the Colts or some other team that passes a lot, I would hope that the coaches throw Barwin in on some short-medium yardage situations. If we are playing a team that runs a lot I hope that they adjust to that as well.

3rd and longs are obvious passing downs though so I think you'd want your best 4 rushers out there...Even if you are a bit gassed, if you stop them it's fourth down and you get to rest anyways...

I don't think they want Barwin to be a situational guy either...I think they want him to be able to spell guys if they get tired or are dinged up...

I think we'll see some differnt combinations in third and long untill guys step up and prove that they're dominant.
Old 07-08-2010   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Blah, blah, blah,......

Different year. Same song and dance.
Old 07-08-2010   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first anyone's heard of a bulging disc. Symptoms like tissue inflammation and nerve impingement aren't good for a position where you're trying to stand up 300 lbs O-linemen.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Blah, blah, blah,......

Different year. Same song and dance.
My thoughts exactly.

I thought the guy was a reach when we picked him and believe he's a 1st round bust to this day. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't have any expectations about it at this point.
Old 07-08-2010   #16
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 12262 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

This quote is what disturbs me. Looks like he's missing something that can't be taught.

“I watched all the games from the year before [2008] and the guys here said he needed to be a more physical player,” Kollar said. “We kept on him: ‘Hey, man you’ve got to hit, when that ball carrier is going down you’ve got to go down and get him, you’ve got to finish plays more.’ It was a big thing. He definitely did a better job, but he can do more…

“Don’t come over and stand by the guy, you’ve got to finish it off… If you don’t like getting in there and scrapping and grinding, you can’t play in this league. We’ve got to make sure when the pads are on that’s what he’s doing.”
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #17
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: Texans push Amobi Okoye to finish

"If your not improving....your losing"....I thought of that phrase when i read that article......
I think Kollar is expecting more out of Okoye. I think Okoye knows that. Question is......is Okoye going to talk it or do it. Does he have the heart, the resolve the determination to do it does he have the drive, is he hungry enough?....we will see, because he has guys breathing down his neck now.

Kubiak has wanted this team where the competition for positions is at a high level. I think the battle for defensive interior linemen is one of those competions this year....

I hope Okoye does make it.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This is the first anyone's heard of a bulging disc. Symptoms like tissue inflammation and nerve impingement aren't good for a position where you're trying to stand up 300 lbs O-linemen.
"Not good" is an understatement. I would suspect that the weight loss is as much, if not more, in response to the bulging disc as for "quickness." Furthermore, "beer gut" defensive linemen tend to have poorly developed abs, which is a major support factor for the back.

Two questions come to mind right off the bat. First, will it recur? Recurrence is not uncommon following appropriate treatment, especially following a triggering of back spasms which the typical trauma a lineman sustains can easily initiate. That's not to mention compromises required at the weight room to avoid aggravation. Second, will his new lower weight, which he enjoyed in his college success, allow him to compete at the NFL level with equivalent results.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

nah nah naaaah nah
nah nah naaaah nah
O - KOY - E
gooood byyyye!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

"He’s got a bulging disc in his back and lingering issues with his knees, an ankle and a shoulder."

Has Belicheck been filling out our injury reports?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read