Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-13-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Thomas Davis could be our guy

After our last game I was hoping that the Texans drafted TD with the 13th pick. Shortley after I changed my mind thinking that we needed to upgrade at other positions other than SS. But that Ive pieced the puzzle together, I have come back to the conclusion that I made early on in the off season. TD could be the best pick for us.

Thomas Davis is 6'1, 230 and runs a 4.55 and can play either SS or ILB in our scheme. We are more than likely going to loose both Jaime Sharper and Jay Foreman to a trade, and if we cant use what we get from that trade to move up for DJ than why not TD. If Greenwood or Wang get injured then, who do we have to come in as backups. Basically no one. Plus I personally believe that TD would win the starting job over Glen Earl any way. He is a 2 position player that could challenge fr a starting spot at 2 places in our defense. Maybe Im not connecting all the dots, but hes seems like he might be the BPA for us come draft day.
Old 03-13-2005   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe..... if we do not get the dream pick of DJ, Davis makes sense if we plan on converting him to ILB..... other than his strength in run support, he should be able to do a little bit of coverage....... heck, better than Foreman anyways.
gg no re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #3
stephen1
Veteran

hes too small to play ILB, only 230
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

If we wanted an ILB, why wouldn't we just trade down to late round 1 and pick Channing Crowder instead of worrying about converting Davis to a position he may or may not be suited for? Add to that the fact that his weakest point is coverage and take into account our affinity for dropping our ILB's into coverage and it looks like he may be a harder hitting Jay Foreman...impressive...
Old 03-13-2005   #5
H-townTexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
If we wanted an ILB, why wouldn't we just trade down to late round 1 and pick Channing Crowder instead of worrying about converting Davis to a position he may or may not be suited for? Add to that the fact that his weakest point is coverage and take into account our affinity for dropping our ILB's into coverage and it looks like he may be a harder hitting Jay Foreman...impressive...

NAH listen we could trade sharper to MINNESSOTTA but only if we get the 7th pick and Harris -------------------------- Harris wouls would make a good ilb or olb whATEVER YOU WANT he sure do kick Antwan Peek azz and thaz 4sho
H-townTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #6
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-townTexan
NAH listen we could trade sharper to MINNESSOTTA but only if we get the 7th pick and Harris -------------------------- Harris wouls would make a good ilb or olb whATEVER YOU WANT he sure do kick Antwan Peek azz and thaz 4sho
We'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for Sharper...4th rounder is more likely...
Old 03-13-2005   #7
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

you are forgetting Earl. he impressed lastt year and i think its his spot to loose. I just dont see a 1st round Secondary pick this year. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2005   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Buyer Beware
Quote:
Davis, a violent hitter who shows no regard for his body, will be an outstanding run stuffer. But he is a sucker for play-action and gets caught peeking into the backfield. He is as lost in a zone as a hillbilly in Manhattan. "He's made more mental mistakes and instinctive mistakes than anyone I've ever scouted," says one executive who has been in the business for nearly a quarter-century.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3445758

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #9
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
or Wang get injured then
hehe, you said wang...
Old 03-13-2005   #10
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

he would fit in good since we are in need of a solid safety, no diss to earl. I can't imagine dallas passing on him with their 10th pick though.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
he would fit in good since we are in need of a solid safety, no diss to earl. I can't imagine dallas passing on him with their 10th pick though.
What makes you think Davis would be a better safety than Earl? If you read their draft profiles, they're nearly identical...}he only difference is that Earl got injured his senior season and Davis didn't...

Also, I seriously doubt the Cowbys take Davis at 10 for two reasons:

1. They already have a SS (Roy Williams), and

2. Dallas has the 11th pick...
Old 03-13-2005   #12
tiger06
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
hehe, you said wang...
I don't know how I'd live my life if wang got injured :woot
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

the problem I have with TD isnt that he is not a valuable pick.. its that he would not make a good ILB from what im hearing.. he sucks in coverage. And he would not make a good SS in our defense because he sucks in coverage as well.

on top of that we have a rookie that we got for great value last year.. who has already recovered from the injury that knocked him down to the 4th round..and was looking very talented before the season ended.

he may be a valuable pick.. but to me it would be like drafting a QB at #13.. except we dont have much chance of trading Thomas Davis in a couple years and making a profit.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
.. he sucks in coverage. And he would not make a good SS in our defense because he sucks in coverage as well.
Just wondering, but how many games did you watch to come to this conclusion? What plays in particular did you see him suck it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
on top of that we have a rookie that we got for great value last year.. who has already recovered from the injury that knocked him down to the 4th round..and was looking very talented before the season ended.
Every one keeps saying TD is weak in coverage. Well guess what Glenn Earl's weakness is, it's coverage.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/41514.html

Earl had 44 tackles, ZERO Int's, ZERO passes defended, ZERO forced fumbles, ZERO fumble recoveries, and ZERO sacks. Anyone who says that SS is a position of strength for us will have to do some serious stretching.
Old 03-13-2005   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Just wondering, but how many games did you watch to come to this conclusion? What plays in particular did you see him suck it up?
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...90&postcount=8

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 03-13-2005   #16
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Fiddy,

It will take more than some nameless executive's opinion to cloud my view on Davis. I generally try not to back up my opinions with quotes from people who are anonymous. It just adds a little bit more credibility.
Old 03-13-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

im getting the "Davis sucks in coverage" thing.. from a few different draft sights.. and sportingnews magazine.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Fiddy,

It will take more than some nameless executive's opinion to cloud my view on Davis. I generally try not to back up my opinions with quotes from people who are anonymous. It just adds a little bit more credibility.
I dont know what to think of Davis, I didnt really watch too many Georgia's game and it is hard to grade a safety's performance because they are never on the screen. That is what one scout said. I'm starting to believe that he is going to be a LB for a Cover 2 team.

Old 03-13-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

I still wanna know what makes him better than Glenn Earl...I've been asking that question for months and nobody has been able to answer it...
Old 03-13-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I still wanna know what makes him better than Glenn Earl...I've been asking that question for months and nobody has been able to answer it...

The answer is the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. In otherwords--absolutely nothing. Davis is just the flavor of the week so people will pimp him. Not to say he won't be a good NFL player but he is just another SS prospect for the NFL Every year the grass is greener.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read