Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

R.I.P Don Coryell

Wolf

100% Texan

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Fouts, Joiner, Jefferson, Chandler, Winslow. I loved those old Charger teams. Part of one of the best playoff games ever.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5347434

SAN DIEGO -- Don Coryell, the innovative coach whose San Diego Chargers teams featured some of the most dynamic passing attacks in league history, has died. He was 85.

The Chargers confirmed Coryell died Thursday at Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, just outside of San Diego. The team did not release the cause of death, but Coryell had been in poor health for some time.

Coryell is one of the founding fathers of the modern passing game. He coached at San Diego State and in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers.

From 1978-86 with the Chargers, his "Air Coryell" offense -- led by quarterback Dan Fouts -- set numerous NFL records.

He's the first coach to win 100 games in college and pro football, but he never reached the Super Bowl.

playa465

Veteran
From ESPN:

SAN DIEGO -- Don Coryell, the innovative coach whose San Diego Chargers teams featured some of the most dynamic passing attacks in league history, has died. He was 85.
The Chargers confirmed Coryell died Thursday at Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, just outside of San Diego. The team did not release the cause of death, but Coryell had been in poor health for some time.
Coryell is one of the founding fathers of the modern passing game. He coached at San Diego State and in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers.
From 1978-86 with the Chargers, his "Air Coryell" offense -- led by quarterback Dan Fouts -- set numerous NFL records.
He's the first coach to win 100 games in college and pro football, but he never reached the Super Bowl.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
RIP Coach! The man was a true offensive innovator. So sad.

Giant Tiger

Veteran
I didn't know he was sick. This is sad news. RIP Don Coryell; I enjoyed watching your wide open offense. To this day that San Diego-Miami game was the best game I ever saw.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
RIP Coach Coryell

You were a true pioneer

Thanks for making the game fun to watch.

drs23

Veteran
Ditto all the above though I didn't read each and every one. I'm sure someone's made reference to the infamous Air Coryell vs. Ground Chuck game?