Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-01-2010   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Texans not very accomodating when it comes to open

Quote:
When the Texans built their new practice facilities across the street from Reliant Stadium, one of the selling points was that it would make it easier for the team to connect with it's fans.

Our old team held training camp in places like San Marcos, San Antonio and San Angelo before we went Sans-a-team, so it made it difficult to connect with the team outside of Sundays during the season.

But despite the convenient practice digs, the Texans remain below par compared to the rest of the league when it comes to training camp practices open to the public.

In 2009 the Texans had only five open sessions and this year there will be only six sessions open to the public according to a tweet on the Texans official Twitter account at 5:42 PM Jun 8th .

Since there are so few practices open to the public, tickets 'sell out' quickly (tickets are free but you need one to get in).

Texans fans are a crazy and passionate lot and by the time late July rolls around, they are so ready for football, they are crawling all over each other for those tickets. As you would expect, the sessions are always jam-packed and beyond standing room only. Texans open camp sessions typically span one week so tough luck if that's your week for vacation or you have a work conflict.

Texans have fan events such as All Access, team breakfasts, bowling events, etc, during the offseason and they are great (and not all free) but how do the Texans compare with other NFL teams in terms of openness, fan access and accommodations when it comes to training camp? Pretty awful, really.

Here's a sample of other NFL teams and their number of training camp practices open to the public.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...exans-Examiner
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Texans not very accomodating when it comes to open

If it is less distracting for the team to have fewer open practices then I am all for it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win.
Old 07-01-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't mind less open practices but if there were more of them just to watch the team and then have the players appear at places through out the area to meet and greet fans and sign for them JMO.
Old 07-01-2010   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw Practice lets play a game
Old 07-01-2010   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

These closed practices have contributed to how many playoff victories?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Screw Practice lets play a game
I feel the same way...

I've been very edgy this offseason (incase some of y'all haven't noticed).

Usually a decent Stros team would hold me over and give me my fix and even when they have sucked, atleast I was able to watch a playoff Rockets team, but this year has been very tough.

The end of last season really left a bad taste in my mouth and kind of pissed me off. 9-7 was never the goal and it really rubbed me the wrong way in how the team celebrated being "9-7", like it was some kind of playoff berth or their original goal. Honestly it made us look like some kind of bush league team and I had flashbacks of the famous "David Carr pledge press conference" where he promised to not cut his hair until the team won back to back games.

If this team doesn't do something this year, I might kill somebody. I don't give a crap if they don't have any open practices....just win. For Christ's sake, for the first time in y'all's history...just win and get past all this (For the first time in the franchise's history, did we turn the corner?, I think we turned the corner?, oops I guess we didn't turn the corner", WAIT! now I know we turned the corner, and just when I thought we turned the corner we lose to that team) bullcrap. Hopefully this is the year where we become a legit NFL team, that won't celebrate or settle for mediocrity when initial goals were set MUCH higher.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43353 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I feel the same way...

I've been very edgy this offseason (incase some of y'all haven't noticed).

Usually a decent Stros team would hold me over and give me my fix and even when they have sucked, atleast I was able to watch a playoff Rockets team, but this year has been very tough.

The end of last season really left a bad taste in my mouth and kind of pissed me off. 9-7 was never the goal and it really rubbed me the wrong way in how the team celebrated being "9-7", like it was some kind of playoff birth or their original goal. Honestly it made us look like some kind of bush league team and I had flashbacks of the famous "David Carr pledge press conference" in he promised to not cut his hair until the team won back to back games.

If this team doesn't do something this year, I might kill somebody. I don't give a crap if they don't have any open practices....just win. For Christ's sake, for the first time in y'all's history...just win and get past of all this (first for the franchise, did we turn the corner?, I think we turned the corner?, oops I guess we didn't turn the corner", wait now I know we turned the corner, and just when I thought we turned the corner we lose to that team) bullcrap.
Nice post! I feel your pain also! time to put up or shut up!
Old 07-01-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has said that he and his staff will be expecting much more from his players this year. I guess he wants to be able to use unorthodox methods to prod them in the right direction............without outside interference by the league.

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. . . . . . .I know it's important, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. . . . . . .I know it's important, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"
Thought you were going a little nutso on us until I recognized.........

Quote:
We're talking about PRACTICE

But we're talking about practice mugs, tshirts and magnets

1.) A discussion focused on trivial matters, not related to the big picture

2.) A meaningless exchange

3.) A downplay of a criticism of oneself

Quote:
"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?"

— Allen Iverson at a press conference on May 8, 2002
Old 07-02-2010   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss those days with The Oilers. I remember being able to go up to any player I wanted to and get their autograph because hardly anybody was ever at those practices in San Marcos and San Antonio. I actually shook hands of Ray Childress, Bruce Matthews, Warren Moon, Ernest Givins, Drew Hill etc....

Sure having practice facilities at home really helps the city of Houston get closer to the team but I feel like the Oilers made a real good effort to try and connect with ALL of Texas. Having practices in San Antonio and San Marcos really helped that.

One time The Oilers had Jeff Alm and Al Smith come to Austin. I took two of Al Smith's rookie cards to sign. When he told me he didn't even know he had a card, I let him keep one of the cards. Well next thing you know, he's asking me to sit next to him for the duration of the signing and then later that week when I went to camp he remembered me and my name and he even got me a pass to go on the field so I could get more autographs.

I think only my wife's happy that they practice in Houston.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
These closed practices have contributed to how many playoff victories?
You mean to tell me we've been suffering for all (8 of) these years and the only thing we needed was more open practices!? Quick, someone alert McNair and give this guy a high paying job.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
If it is less distracting for the team to have fewer open practices then I am all for it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win.
The Saints will have 22 open practices. The Colts will open up 24. Will that keep these teams from winning?

Kubiak's been on record as disliking open practices. We're lucky to get 6. Luckier if none are rained out, as there will be no makeup dates. The year the Cowboys won the 1st Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson, 1992, they held camp at St. Edwards University in Austin. I could walk my dog from my house about a half mile away, stand next to the fence, and watch Aikman, Irvin, and Smith do their thing. I guess if they didn't have the distraction of having every practice open that summer, Dallas would have gone undefeated?
Old 07-02-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

I wonder how much limitation of media presence is behind Kubiak's "paranoia?"
Old 07-02-2010   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually glad it's only 6 practices. I can't control myself. If they all were open, I'd bankrupt my famly.

Old 07-02-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nope... It's because Bob McNair is too cheap and trying to maximize his profits!
Old 07-02-2010   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm actually glad it's only 6 practices. I can't control myself. If they all were open, I'd bankrupt my famly.

See, there's Kubiak's whole reasoning. Gotta watch out for guys like Nitro.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I got to watch the Super Bowl champions practice twice last season... unfortunately they were practicing against us before we spent another year watching the playoffs

Last edited by TheRealJoker; 07-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
TheRealJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it's the other way around (That is to say, you just wondered ifof Kubiak's paranoia is caused by limiting the media).

Although I guess you could be right:

McNair: Gary - we're limiting the public exposure of our practices this pre-season.

Kubiak: Why - are you ashamed to have me demonstrate my coaching skills in front of people?
Old 07-02-2010   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Quote:
Thought you were going a little nutso on us until I recognized.........
Here ya go CND, in case you haven't seen this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxU...next=1&index=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Saints will have 22 open practices. The Colts will open up 24. Will that keep these teams from winning?

Kubiak's been on record as disliking open practices. We're lucky to get 6. Luckier if none are rained out, as there will be no makeup dates. The year the Cowboys won the 1st Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson, 1992, they held camp at St. Edwards University in Austin. I could walk my dog from my house about a half mile away, stand next to the fence, and watch Aikman, Irvin, and Smith do their thing. I guess if they didn't have the distraction of having every practice open that summer, Dallas would have gone undefeated?
Ask rhertorical questions much? Much too much. Fancy stats though and cool story bro. When you know my point was the same as others after, which was "who cares, just win". Whether that would be less distractions (I mentioned that as a possiblity) or to coach getting his way because he doesn't like them. Whatever contributes in any fraction of a way towards a W, MAN!

But sure quote me and try to make me look like a dumbass. Whatever blows your skirt up.

P.S. there are about a dozen threads in NSZ that could use some merging, when your done spending time belittling my comment.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read