Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-13-2005   #1
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054
Default 1st round pick

I want to take a vote here.
Who thinks Spears, roth, pollack
or who think Williamson, Clayton or trade?

I want to hear opinoin and reasons

I think Williamson...

Last edited by royce1054; 03-13-2005 at 01:26 AM.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #2
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

im leaning heavily toward pollack. even if sharper stays, we could definately use a young foundation of LB's to build for the future with. with everything else being somewhat addressed this offseason, i think our top picks go to an LB and someone in the secondary....
Old 03-13-2005   #3
royce1054
All Pro

But we have resigned the whole DL. And peek is a good contender for the last spot on the team. I dont see us drating a DL in the 1st round and him not starting... isnt that too much money for someone who wont start..
Remember we have Smith, Payne and walker... Maybe next year i can see a 1st round Dl. I think WR is a much more pressing need. LB core i think is set. I hope sharper stays but if he does they definetly wont draft DL. IF he is traded or released I see peek stepping in. I just cant see a DL in the 1st 4 rounds. I think WR 1st round... OL 2nd.... 3rd a LB and maybe a corner then 4th rd maybe a DL. I think we need a good #2 and i think Williamson would be a good person to fill that position.
Old 03-13-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054

I think Williamson...
my best guess is...........none of the above
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #5
royce1054
All Pro

who is your guess
Old 03-13-2005   #6
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Dude i watched Tennessee play in a game against Florida and their LB Kevin Burnett is a monstrosity. That dude is furious when hes on the field. His name was being called like evey defensive play! We could get him with our second rounder. I also wouldnt mind Chris Spencer(OG/C). I think they anylists said that he had one of the best interior lineman workouts that they had seen in years. Other than that, i know Casserly will make us proud. We just gotta have faith.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard to choose just one. It all depends on who falls to 13, and who doesnt.

Ill take Shawne Merriman for the block.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming for the sake of discussion in this thread that we don't trade either
up or down(and unlike our first 3 years, I think its very possible we could do either one this year), I think the WR available at 13 that we like the most will be Mark Clayton. I believe we'd take Spears or D.Johnson instead, but believe both (most certainly not Johnson) will be off the Board at 13.
Its partly wishful thinking on my part because I really like Clayton because he
is very talented but also psychologically he would be a good fit to be the #2 behind AJ.
I'm taking the team at its word when they say that they are gonna stay with
Seth Wand for atleast awhile. And I don't think they will use their top pick on
a DB or OLB this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #9
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Assuming for the sake of discussion in this thread that we don't trade either
up or down(and unlike our first 3 years, I think its very possible we could do either one this year), I think the WR available at 13 that we like the most will be Mark Clayton. I believe we'd take Spears or D.Johnson instead, but believe both (most certainly not Johnson) will be off the Board at 13.
Its partly wishful thinking on my part because I really like Clayton because he
is very talented but also psychologically he would be a good fit to be the #2 behind AJ.
I'm taking the team at its word when they say that they are gonna stay with
Seth Wand for atleast awhile. And I don't think they will use their top pick on
a DB or OLB this year.
I disagree about them not taking a DB or OLB. At this point, I believe they will take a DB with their 1st pick, assuming they don't trade down. However, if they go with a WR, don't be surprised if they take Troy Williamson.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #10
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

I think Clayton isnt worth going #13. I also believe that he wouldnt be a great fit as he lacks size, i'd rather go with williamson. Im starting to believe that with Mike Williams' stock rising, that braylon edwards will be available. Well first off if DJ is still available we jump all over him, If Braylon is available, we should jump over him. After that we could take Williamson, Thomas Davis, or Alex Barron.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barylon is most likely a top 5 pick and even if he slides, he would VERY likely be picked by the Vikes at 7. The odds of him sliding to 13 are probably about as good as me winning the powerball, waite, I don't like those odds. LOL

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Williamson...
Spears won't get any PT...
Roth isn't worth pick 13...
Pollack isn't worth pick 13...
Williamson, I guess he'd be an ok pick...
Clayton isn't worth pick 13
Trading down seems to be the best idea...

*Circles Trade on answer sheet, turns in exam, and exits thread*
Old 03-13-2005   #13
royce1054
All Pro

I agree that Spears wont get playing time. It doesnt seem smart to draft a DL after we resigned Payne $4 million contract and sit him on the bench. Walker has what 1 more year and SMith has a long term deal. There is no real for a DL on this team. To pay #13 money to some 1 that will sit doesnt make sense. We have more pressing needs at WR and OL. I would say CB but then we signed Sanders. I think that means he is gonna get his chance here. He will be a dime coner. Thats takes the need away from a 1st round pick to like a 3rd round pick. LB even if Sharper and Foreman are gone we have wong and greenwood on the inside, Babin and peek on the outside. We have an urgent need to find a player like but alot better than Bradford. I would like to see Williamson of South Carolina or Clayton of Oklahoma. On the mocks i have been Williamson has been being drafted #14 to Carolina. Clayton i have him going in the 20's. I think both are good topics. I admit before payne and deloach signed i though it was gonna be Spears. Afterwards i was thinking Carlos Rodgers then we signed Sanders. Now we are going to #3 need. WR and #4 OL
Old 03-13-2005   #14
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Barylon is most likely a top 5 pick and even if he slides, he would VERY likely be picked by the Vikes at 7. LOL
All the teams that go before Minnesota are not in needs of a wr, so I think The vikes grab Mike Williams, and the next teams that would be interested in a wr would be perhaps dallas or san diego, and those two have the #11 and #12 picks, and if Dallas doesnt grab him with #11, i say we trade up to the #12 before San Diego and grab braylon. OR we could stand pat and take Williamson, but i'd hate to see us miss out on Edwards by a margin of 2 picks before us.

All of this above is assuming that tennessee doesnt take a wr at #6
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Spears won't get any PT...
Spears may not start but he would get playing time. An ideal situation for a 3-4 d-line is to have 4 guys that you can rotate in and out so at the end of the game they are relatively fresh

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #16
royce1054
All Pro

but that makes no sense to draft a guy pay him more than your starters and not start him. There are more pressing needs for our #1 and maybe go 1st of 2 3rd rounds on a DL. You can get just as good of talent their.
Old 03-13-2005   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Spears may not start but he would get playing time. An ideal situation for a 3-4 d-line is to have 4 guys that you can rotate in and out so at the end of the game they are relatively fresh
That is why the texans made such a big deal about resigning Payne/Deloach/Sears. But I dont have any problem with adding a stud like Spears into the mix. The boy was made for the 3-4.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
but that makes no sense to draft a guy pay him more than your starters and sit him on the bench. There are more pressing needs for our #1 and maybe go 1st of 2 3rd rounds on a DL. You can get just as good of talent their.
If the Texans drafted him, he wouldnt sit on the bench. Doesnt mean that he is not a starter that he wont get just as many plays as the starters. And would the 13th player selected in the draft be paid more than Smith and Walker are being paid???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #19
royce1054
All Pro

i changed it to not startting.. The texans wont draft a player that will not start esp with the #13 pick. WR and OL are more of pressing needs than a #4 DL that isnt gonna be on the field. What about Slary Cap that is gonna hurt our #. We can get a perfectly good DL and in the 3rd or 4th round to be that #4 DL
Old 03-13-2005   #20
royce1054
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
And would the 13th player selected in the draft be paid more than Smith and Walker are being paid???
They do make too much money... It might not be as much as Walker or smith but its more than Payne i think. I might have smith worng i dont know his #'s but i am sure its alot

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read