Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-13-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Pollack sounds like our kinda guy

I was just reading an article on Pollack in the "SportingNews" magazine.. and he sounds like our kind of player.

he is not exceptionally gifted, physically.. which is the only downside he has.

He has great instincts.. an impeckable work eithic.. he trains very hard in order to "keep up" so to speak, with the other guys in the draft.

The difference between him and a physical specimen like Shawn Merriman(for example) is that Pollack has constantly been fighting people saying he isnt big enough or fast enough to play a position. He was a 265 pound DT.. and he was tearing it up in that position. But he was too small so they moved him to DE.. despite his production.

Anyway.. he isnt FAST (he ran a 4.8).. but he is QUICK.. and he is very intelligent it seems. he plays with ALOT of fire and anger.

I would be happy to grab him in the 1st. he strikes me as a cant miss player.. just because of his drive, tenacity, and intelligence. I dont think a player like that has a chance of failing in the NFL.

he would be an OLB for us.. which might work out really well for someone of his size.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollack had some of the better times in the quickness drills. I've been a fan of his for a while. He is my favorite youngster coming out of College. He is very impressive when interviewed also. We could do much worse than taking him. www.nfldraftscout.com has the results for the combine. Hound at hpf first pointed it out but he ran as fast as Terrell Suggs in the 40 and he had unreal short shuttle and cone drill times (3.94 and a 6.87). Darren Sproles ran a 3.96 and a 6.96 and he is lightning quick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

a 4.8 for a DLman is fast. I also was impressed with the film is saw of pollack and his combine. Although at his size he may be a little to small since we only have 3 dlmen we need BIG guys to tie up blocks. Having said that I would not be upset in the least if we did aquire him. I feel we have to absolutely draft a DL man high in the draft.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He would project to OLB for us. He is nearly identical in size to Jason Babin.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds pretty good to me

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-13-2005   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

I'm just saying this is probably the last time we are going to have a high draft pick and we have youth everywhere except the dline. We need to address the line (on both sides of the ball).

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-13-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

unfortunatly there are no truely elite prospects at DL. Spears is about the best one.. and im not so sure he is worth the #13. he seems like Jerry DeLoach to me. Solid.. but not any better than advertised.

Id be more interested in trying to acquire an extra #1 next year somehow.. and trade up for Ngata or Wright (assuming we dont already have a high 1st next year.. *fingers crossed*)

But, yah Vinny I was real impressed with what I read about him and what he said in the interview. A guy like that could be perfect for us.. especially if Wong and Greenwood are playing ILB... since they seem to be good at dropping into coverage.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2005   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He would project to OLB for us. He is nearly identical in size to Jason Babin.
This is one of the reasons Im not 100% confident on getting this guy. I want a guy I know who is going to come in day one, and contribute for the start. Im not saying that Pollack isnt going to compete, but it will be tough for him.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
I'm just saying this is probably the last time we are going to have a high draft pick and we have youth everywhere except the dline. We need to address the line (on both sides of the ball).
This is good thinking, but I hate to use our first round pick on need. That is where ive noticed teams get messed up. They take a player like Courtney Brown over Lavar because they felt the "need" squeeze. IMO.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #10
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollack's NFL.com draft profile:
Quote:
Excellent rush end whose only deficiency is a lack of ideal height (6-2). Pollack is very productive and disruptive coming off the edge, using his explosive quickness to penetrate the backfield. Pollack is a bit of an overachiever, but he is a smart player with natural instincts who always seems to be around the ball. He shows explosive acceleration and excellent instincts into the backfield and is very effective using his hands to disengage.

Pollack is a solid run defender with the quickness and lateral agility to make plays on the move. When he gets too high in his stance, he can be tied up working in-line, but he is able to compensate, as he uses his hands effectively to get across the blocker's face quickly. He has a high motor and makes plays from sideline to sideline. Pollack shows a natural feel for the play and, at the point of attack, has the lower leg power to hold firmly. He uses his hands, flexibility and body control to get upfield and disrupt plays off the snap (108 pressures), playing with natural leverage and strength.

Pollack does a very good job of redirecting down the line and has the speed to close when in pursuit. He is a classic wrapup tackler who makes good body adjustments and always makes plays with good force. He is a fierce pass rusher with a natural feel for the ball, demonstrating outstanding flexibility to get upfield and disrupt the snap. Due to size limitations, you would expect him to only be effective coming off the edge, but he has more than enough strength to run over blockers in his quest to get to the quarterback.

His speed allows him to beat offensive tackles off the line and redirect. His relentless approach makes him a player that must be constantly accounted for. Even when he does not make the play, his pursuit is such that it probably affected the outcome of that play. Pollack is a solid wrapup tackler who makes good body adjustments and delivers the powerful hand swipes to defeat blocks. His natural feel for the ball in the short area is likened to that of Indianapolis' Dwight Freeney, as he always seems to gain proper position before making the hit.
Texans draft section Pollack media interview clip: Link.

Here is a Texans article on Pollack: Link.

Last edited by MojoX; 03-13-2005 at 02:13 AM.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #11
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

after reading the above posts and remembering the dominating player i watched this past collegiate football season, i am hoping more and more the texans somehow aquire mr. pollack. i just get this feeling that he can do what everyone kept nagging babin wasn't doing. nothing against babin, i'm one of the few year round supporters of him, but i just like the tandem of pollack/babin. i think jason's going to come into his own this year and really standout and i just have this hunch david will make an imediate impact while still being solid (with his main weakness in coverage). anyone this enthusiastic about football would seem to have an edge when it comes converting position's...his character would also be a welcome addition to the team, because whatever team gets him will get a straight shooter that seems to be capable of becoming a leader in the first years of his NFL career. pollack definately doesn't seem to be synomonis with 'training camp holdout'...

i also feel our team can't have enough young LB's. since both lines are going to remain basically unchanged and our secondary has been acceptably solidified, i have this gut feeling the '05 draft will looking surprisingly like the '04 draft. if pollack is drafted i see him at '13' (as an OLB of course), one of the many cover guys as our second pick (CB most likely), then addressing RB, TE, OL in that order in the later rounds. but knowing cass, it's going to be a totally unpredicatable, yet a very enjoyable experiance
Old 03-13-2005   #12
uga_iv
Rookie

I feel like I am back in Georgia. Are you guys trying to set me up? I would love to get this guy! Intensity, intensity, intensity! Pollack always gives you 110%. His size has been questioned, but he is the same size as Babin. His times in the 40 have been questioned, but Eramus James ran comparable times and I have heard James mentioned as a possible linebacker in a 3-4. I think Babin ran comarable times to Pollack as well. Plus, Pollack had impresive times in the drills that measure quickness. Also, he ranked first in the swim move. I must admit that his armspan is short, but that is really the only legitimate criticism.

I think Pollack would be an awesome pick. I realize that many "Homers" want DJ. He is a great player, but I seriously doubt he will be on the board when we pick. Pollack will most likely be on the board and possibly we could trade down to get extra picks and still get him.
uga_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be very ambivalent about us drafting this guy. I mean what the hell would
we do with him - do we want another college DE like Jason Babin to go thru
a "trial by fire" rookie year in the NFL while they learn a brand new position.
And we are now quite strong at OLB and I think they want to give Peek a
chance to make or break himself with the team as a regular OLB.
And he's just too small to be a downlineman in the 3-4. Looks like he'd have
to gain atleast 25 lbs and then he'd be "only" 'bout 290. That's right at the
very bottom of the range for ends in our D, and you gotta wonder how much of his quickness and agility he'd lose at that weight.
But he wouldn't lose his fire, and that's what you gotta love about this guy. Talk about a presence in the locker room. He would be a very inspirational
player to have on the team and people would buy tons of tickets just to come
see his hustle and entuisiasm.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Well the coaches are not sold on Peek.. and after Peek.. who do you have? Wong? he will be playing ILB and probably wont be playing with us after next season.

the reason to draft Pollack is because he is worth it. He looks like a very solid pick.. great personality, a good athlete, alot of drive. He would give us another very solid and very young OLB... and hopefully help provide the pass rush we are lacking.

honestly.. think about it.. if we dont take an LB.. what are we going to take?

WR? we dont need it.. its a very MINOR need.. and Edwards and Williams will both be gone anyway.

RB? Dont need it.. Davis has been doing well for us and if the line performs like we are expecting it to.. he will be even better.

OL? not in the first round. There is no Olineman in the first round that is WORTH a pick. There will still be linemen of comparable quality in the second, third, and fourth round.

Dline? who is the elite prospect? The only two I can think of that would fit the 3-4 and are worth the #13 is Marcus Spears, and Anntaj Hawthorne. There will still be some very high quality Dlinemen available in the 2nd 3rd and 4th. (BTW there is also Shaun Cody, but everything I read about him is about him being a quick pass rusher.. and that he is a little small to play DT. THat doesnt strike me as 3-4 Dlineman kinda traits)

Secondary? we need NO HELP in our secondary. if we take a player in the secondary.. I would be surprised. Signing Lewis has shored us up there.

so that leaves LBs. of course.. you have ILB and OLB. But there is only ONE ILB that is an elite level player.. and that is DJ. The others will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
Old 03-13-2005   #15
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

As much as I loved Pollack and cheered for him when I saw him play last year. I just dont think that he couldn win a starting job for us as an OLB. Hes not going to come in and be a better pass rusher than Babin and definitely no Peek. If we draft him it would basically be drafting for depth, when we could use some people at other positions.
Old 03-13-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

hmm.. I disagree with ya BuffSoldier.. but im basing it just one what ive read about him, not what ive seen from him. So who knows.. maybe you are right there.
Old 03-13-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
But there is only ONE ILB that is an elite level player.. and that is DJ. The others will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
Like you say there's good backer strength in the mid rounds, so I'm thinking they do take an ILB somewhere in the 2nd thru 4th rounds and play Wong/Peek @ weakside OLB this fall. If Peek finally matures and realizes his
potential, then they have the pleasant problem of figuring what to do with Wong in what will probably be his last year here. If Peek once again fails to
blossom, Wong covers.
Someone mentioned choosing Williamson instead of Clayton - I don't think
he'll be on the Board when we pick but if he is, we might very well take him over Clayton. But I think Mark Clayton might be this years Michael Clayton.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
. . . and he had unreal short shuttle and cone drill times (3.94 and a 6.87). Darren Sproles ran a 3.96 and a 6.96 and he is lightning quick.
For comparison purposes, I looked up both Jason Babin and Antwan Peek's combine times.

Babin ran two 40s (4.64, 4.67), the short shuttle (4.14) and the three-cone drill (7.03). Peek ran one 40 (4.66), the short shuttle (4.38) and the three-cone drill (7.06)

Interesting. By just looking at the quickness drills, Babin is quicker than Peek, even though he outweighs him by twenty pounds. And Pollack is quicker than the both of them.

I think you just sold me on Pollack.

Last edited by Marcus; 03-13-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #19
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
This is good thinking, but I hate to use our first round pick on need. That is where ive noticed teams get messed up. They take a player like Courtney Brown over Lavar because they felt the "need" squeeze. IMO.
actually, they took courtney because he was the better player.
Old 03-18-2005   #20
hound
Rookie

Shawne Merriman is a very hot prospect right now at OLB. Chances are pretty good that the Cowboys will take him before Houston gets a chance to . Lots of people think he'd be great for Houston at ROLB. Merriman is an obviously very gifted physical type... He had a very nice Pro Day running about a 4.66 40 at 274 pounds. If he plays ROLB he'll probably play lighter.

And then there's Pollack. He is not so obviously gifted... He ran only a 4.75 or so 40... But the truth is Pollack is as gifted as anyone in the draft. He just has his gifts in other places besides his straight away speed.

As Vinny said above....

"Hound at hpf first pointed it out but he ran as fast as Terrell Suggs in the 40 and he had unreal short shuttle and cone drill times (3.94 and a 6.87). Darren Sproles ran a 3.96 and a 6.96 and he is lightning quick."

Talk about gifted... Pollack is 6'2" 265 pounds and he is as quick as the very quickest running back... a little 5'6" RB. And his 40 is still as fast as the best sack artist to enter the NFL in the last three years.

I mean Merriman is great and it would be okay if the Texans take him. And if you wanted someone to run 40 yards and then tackle someone Merriman would get there before Pollack... But if you want someone to come off the line and tackle the QB... no DE/OLB can compete with Pollack.

But the truth is timed numbers isn't really what it's all about. It's really about how they played in real games. Well Pollack left Georgia with 36 sacks... and he only had 2 the first year.

DJ Williams is a great LB and most people thought he was going to sweep all the awards for defensive players... But he didn't... because Pollack won half of them. Pollack will be a great pick for someone and he'll get picked possibly in the second half of the first round. The Texans could probably trade down a few spots and still get Pollack. And if we do, after Pollacks rookie year everyone will want the Texas arrested for stealing.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read