Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default way too early: 2010 openning day roster prediction!

QB: Schaub, Orlovsky
RB: Slaton, Tate, AFoster
FB: Leach
WR: AJ, JJ, KW, DA, AD, T.Holliday(and 4th RB)
TE: OD, Dressen, Casey, Graham
OC/G: Caldwell, W.Smith, CMyers, Briesel, Studdard, S.Smith
OT: DBrown, Winston, Butler, (Wade Smith)

DE: Mario, Barwin, A.Smith, Jamison
DT: Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Scheppard, Deljuan
LB: Cushing, DRyans, Diles, Sharpton, Bentley, Adibi
CB: Jackson, Reeves, Quin, McCain, Molden, McManis
S: Pollard, EWilson, Barber, Nolan
K: Rackers
P: Turk
LS: Weeks?

*** Bolded players are my prediction for the active roster in week one.

Practice Squad: Jeremiah Johnson, Nick Polk, Dickerson, Pemberton (CSU LT?), a QB tbd, A.Webster (safety), Glen Martinez (if still eligible), Bret Helms (center)

QB We keep a third on P.S. or possibly in place of long snapper, if they are confident in the combo of Dressen/\Casey

RB : I think we go with the three young guys and have Holliday involved enough that he can lineup as a HB in certain situations

WR: I think AD sticks because he plays special teams, is a quality veteran... But, he would be the one guy of the group at risk of being beat out by Glen Martinez if Holliday wins the punt and kick return job

TE: Dressen is a lock because of his experience and versatility and relative good health. Casey and OD will be there unless they have injury issues that keep them on PUP... and, I think Graham is thought too highly of to risk practice squad. Of course, his place on the team will be determined by his ability to contribute on special teams, if Casey and OD are healthy.

Interior OL
: Chris White is odd man out. I think Wade Smith's versatility will allow them to keep 6 interior guys because he can slide to tackle, if needed.

T: pretty straight-forward unless they keep a 4th pure tackle. Not sure who that would be at this point.

DE: I think the emergence late last year of Jamison combined with the versatility of some of the DTs will cost Bulman his roster spot. He just isn't the athlete some of these guys are. Tough cut! but a sign that the depth of this team is at a championship level. (all 4 guys are on active roster since ASmith will likely play inside a fair amount)

DT: Youth movement, high motors, and explosive athletes cost Okam and Zgoniga their spots on the roster. With these small and explosive players, I expect Kollar to institute a high substitution rate and keep these guys active/fresh. I would expect 4 guys to dress and play, in addition to ASmith.

LB: I'm not sure if we get a roster exemption for Cushing for his suspension. If so, then Clark probably makes the team also.

CB: I don't see Bennett on this team. I think we can keep 6 CBs since a few of these guys can play some hybrid safety in a pinch: Quin, Molden.... and, most of them are good ST players. Barring injury, Molden makes the team and makes a significant impact on gameday by midseason. It's a better group than we realize!

S: I think we have a couple guys on PS. Barber can play both spots and they seem high on Nolan. My guess is Polk will get stashed on PS.

K: I just don't see how the team can trust Brown going into the season, regardless how well he kicks in preseason. But, I really don't know what to expect. It may come down to whether Rackers can kickoff as well as Brown can. I'm not sure.

LS: I suspect the coaching staff considers that some of the kicking troubles last season may have been a result of using long snappers that are active on offense and other areas of the team... not because they snapped poorly but because of timing issues with the kicker that resulted from less practice time due to their other and primary obligations.
Old 06-24-2010   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: way too early: 2010 openning day roster prediction!

Good list, lots of things to consider. It will be interesting to see how it pans out as we progress through TC.
Old 06-24-2010   #3
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 141 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not much confidence in Anthony Hill I guess.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #4
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 135 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
I personally dont think he makes the team this year. And I am not sure that Dreesen has a guarunteed spot on this team either.
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
My guess would be that he'll be placed on the PUP and possibly IR'd. I don't think he's going to be ready for the start of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
I personally dont think he makes the team this year. And I am not sure that Dreesen has a guarunteed spot on this team either.
Hill's going to be on the team. He might not play much, if at all this season due to injury. Other than getting injured, he hasn't done much wrong to deserve getting cut. Heck, he really hasn't even had a chance yet
Old 06-24-2010   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Really, the only adjustment I would make is ADavis getting cut. I don't see him bringing something different or having abilities warranting him consuming a valuable roster spot. He's been a timid, unproductive KR guy and we've got the horses to replace him there with Holliday or JJ. I think Dickerson is the selection here because of his upside as a receiver as well as size/speed having an impact on special teams. I think DD would get scooped up off the PS.

Anthony Hill, I could see him going IR or PUP at best to start the season. Pretty damning injury late in the year but still a young enough player to see something of a future from.

Okam has done nothing but show up in half a preseason game against a weak team. I think Mitchell's pick plus if Sheppard continues to impress they fit the athletic mold better of what the FO wants to see at DT. Plus they are likely more motivated to succeed at football. Zgonina, I believe, isn't even on the team. Bulman might beat out Deljuan for the same reasons but DelRob might be the token big guy at the bottom of the chart.

Bentley might be in trouble but Clark is really the one on the bubble. Hell if Adibi shows up to play. Not worried at all about LB, very deep group.

I too think Bennett is done-skies. Shame.

I've heard nothing about Nolan but I'd say he has as much shot as the two UDFA safeties.

No comment on kickers. Don't care who it is as long as the ball is finding the uprights....or finding the space between them....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

I don't think they will practice squad Dickerson. He'll stick instead of fan darling Martinez who didn't catch a pass last year and was not a big special teamer.

Yes they get an extra roster spot for Cushing.
Old 06-24-2010   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Really, the only adjustment I would make is ADavis getting cut. I don't see him bringing something different or having abilities warranting him consuming a valuable roster spot. He's been a timid, unproductive KR guy and we've got the horses to replace him there with Holliday or JJ. I think Dickerson is the selection here because of his upside as a receiver as well as size/speed having an impact on special teams. I think DD would get scooped up off the PS.

Anthony Hill, I could see him going IR or PUP at best to start the season. Pretty damning injury late in the year but still a young enough player to see something of a future from.

Okam has done nothing but show up in half a preseason game against a weak team. I think Mitchell's pick plus if Sheppard continues to impress they fit the athletic mold better of what the FO wants to see at DT. Plus they are likely more motivated to succeed at football. Zgonina, I believe, isn't even on the team. Bulman might beat out Deljuan for the same reasons but DelRob might be the token big guy at the bottom of the chart.

Bentley might be in trouble but Clark is really the one on the bubble. Hell if Adibi shows up to play. Not worried at all about LB, very deep group.

I too think Bennett is done-skies. Shame.

I've heard nothing about Nolan but I'd say he has as much shot as the two UDFA safeties.

No comment on kickers. Don't care who it is as long as the ball is finding the uprights....or finding the space between them....
I agree that AD should be on the bubble.

Okam, Bulman and Deljuan.....meh, let the best one stay and cut the others. They haven't contributed much in a while. Deljuan had a decent game or two 2 years ago. Bulman wasn't much of a factor last season. Okam is just wasting a prototypical DT body. If I had to choose one, I suppose it'd be Deljuan. That should make his 2 fans happy at least.

I think Bentley adds too much on special teams. It'll be interesting when Cushing comes back.

Nolan has gotten a little praise during OTA's. Plus, I don't see much to compete against after Pollard and Wilson. Maybe Barber

I share your feelings on the kicker situation.
Old 06-24-2010   #9
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 6088 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More 8-8's View Post
I personally don't think he makes the team this year. And I am not sure that Dreesen has a guaranteed spot on this team either.
Dressen will because if OD comes back and re-injures, or comes back as a shell of his self, we need a veteran player who is not too shabby in this system.
Old 06-24-2010   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't think they will practice squad Dickerson. He'll stick instead of fan darling Martinez who didn't catch a pass last year and was not a big special teamer.

Yes they get an extra roster spot for Cushing.
I agree, I really hope Dickerson doesn't make it past waivers, I have a feeling some team with a need at WR or TE will take a chance on him.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree that AD should be on the bubble.
I just don't see his impact, let alone the positive portion of it...
Quote:
Okam, Bulman and Deljuan.....meh, let the best one stay and cut the others. They haven't contributed much in a while. Deljuan had a decent game or two 2 years ago. Bulman wasn't much of a factor last season. Okam is just wasting a prototypical DT body. If I had to choose one, I suppose it'd be Deljuan. That should make his 2 fans happy at least.
pfft haha...

The only thing about cutting Bulman is when he was given a chance he showed he had it. But that was before Antonio Smith was signed and had it, also before Barwin was drafted and had it. The DT/DE tweener thing we love so much and his one season of decency give him something of an argument, more than the other 2 anyway...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I just don't see his impact, let alone the positive portion of it...

pfft haha...

The only thing about cutting Bulman is when he was given a chance he showed he had it. But that was before Antonio Smith was signed and had it, also before Barwin was drafted and had it. The DT/DE tweener thing we love so much and his one season of decency give him something of an argument, more than the other 2 anyway...
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say AD has zero impact. He's pretty good on STs. He seems to be the 1st to arrive at the returner on punts most of the time. As a WR, he just doesn't seem to show his speed running routes. Maybe it's just me, but his routes seem......well..blah
Old 06-24-2010   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
DE: I think the emergence late last year of Jamison...
In what way did Jamison emerge??? He had 52 snaps and 2 tackles. Not that the Texans got much from Bulman. Or Deljuan Robinson, for that matter. Not that they've been needed much, as guys like Mario, Antonio Smith, and Amobi play so many snaps.

Some of my thoughts:

QB: Has Orlovsky shown enough in mini camps to avoid training camp competition? I'd still like to see the Texans acquire a vet to compete with Dan O.

WR: Barring an injury, I can't see Andre Davis making the team. Though I would keep him over the limited David Anderson.

LB: Danny Clark makes the team, and probably is the opening day starting SAM.

S: Every year, the Texans find a safety off the waiver wire. I think it happens again, and the Texans keep 5.

Special Teams: Yes to Holliday, Rackers, and long snapper.
Old 06-24-2010   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
In what way did Jamison emerge??? He had 52 snaps and 2 tackles. .
last year Jamison went from the PS squad to the 53 man roster, to the active roster, and eventually was playing meaningful snaps in meaningful games. Among those 52 snaps, he had some QB hits and pressures. I'm predicting the 53 man roster, not the All-Pro team.. and, Jamison was stealing snaps from Bulman late in the year.

regarding SAM LB, in a fair competition, I believe Bentley wins... I don't see Clark on the team unless we carry 7 LBs or there is an injury
Old 06-25-2010   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything on Hill's recovery/rehab this off season? Was he out of OTA's? I've been out of the country for awhile (5 weeks/returned 6-16) and haven't been able to keep up as much as I wanted.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as I can remember he has not participated in any team activities. His ACL injury was late in the year and typically rehab on something like that is pretty lengthy.
Old 06-26-2010   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
In what way did Jamison emerge??? He had 52 snaps and 2 tackles. Not that the Texans got much from Bulman. Or Deljuan Robinson, for that matter. Not that they've been needed much, as guys like Mario, Antonio Smith, and Amobi play so many snaps.
Maybe Amobis extensive time on the field might really tell you how little
those other guys contributed (or were given the opportunity to contribute),
given how unsatisfactory Amobis play often was ?
But I've already got real high expectations for this years new crop of one-gappers, 3rd round pick Mitchell & the Sheppard kid.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Maybe Amobis extensive time on the field might really tell you how little
those other guys contributed (or were given the opportunity to contribute),
given how unsatisfactory Amobis play often was ?
But I've already got real high expectations for this years new crop of one-gappers, 3rd round pick Mitchell & the Sheppard kid.
Was Amobi's play really that unsatisfactory? He was one of the top guys in the league (#4) at QB pressures and played on a D that over the last 13 games was #3 in rush D.
Old 06-26-2010   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Was Amobi's play really that unsatisfactory? He was one of the top guys in the league (#4) at QB pressures and played on a D that over the last 13 games was #3 in rush D.
cak - what do you expect the front four to look like opening day? when they rotate players in 3rd down situations who gets the call? other than Mario (monster RDE) is there going to be a smaller DL in the NFL than the Texans?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
cak - what do you expect the front four to look like opening day? when they rotate players in 3rd down situations who gets the call? other than Mario (monster RDE) is there going to be a smaller DL in the NFL than the Texans?
The Colts have been running a small DL for years. Mario is huge compared to either of their DE's and even Barwin is as big as either of their DE's and we consider him situational only. In fact our DE's are big for the league. I think what we have is very interesting. Instead of 330 lbs interior and 260 lbs outside we have 290 lbs across the board. Athleticism across the board. On third I expect Smith to move in next to Omobi and Barwin to come in at DE. That could change if any of the rookies shines bright.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read