Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans impressed with Bainbridge’s Sheppard

Thankful for his opportunity and trying to make the most of it.

Quote:
HOUSTON — Whether you look at them as baby steps or giant steps, it’s all the same to Malcolm Sheppard, who just keeps walking a straight path toward the NFL.

Sheppard, an undrafted free agent from Bainbridge who was a star at Arkansas, took another huge step this week. He didn’t just emerge from the Houston Texans’ mini-camp alive and well, he finished the camp with an invitation to team’s training camp that begins July 30, and had the coaches beaming about his progress.

“Probably the young kid who has surprised me the most through OTAs (organized team activty days) and everything has been this Sheppard kid that we got from Arkansas,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak told the media after the team’s final practice on Wednesday. “I’m not trying to put pressure on him or anything, but he’s been a very pleasant surprise.

Kubiak all but said he will give Sheppard every chance to make the team when training camp begins.

“I think he’s going to make a good push for this football team,’’ Kubiak said. “He’s played extremely hard, very physical, better athlete than we thought coming out. We thought he was going to get drafted but he didn’t, and we were lucky to get him.”

Sheppard, a 6-foot-2, 280-pound defensive tackle, was a force at Arkansas, where he had 24.5 tackles for losses, including nine sacks. He was twice named to the All-SEC second team defense, and arguably could have been an all conference player in just about any other conference in the nation.

Surprisingly, he went undrafted, but might have been picked if not for a nagging shoulder injury that affected his performance at the NFL combine.

“I had a slight shoulder tear,’’ Sheppard said. “It affected the way I ran and it affected my strength. I couldn’t train properly for the combine.’’

The day the draft ended, Sheppard’s phone started ringing with offers to sign as a free agent. He looked over the future and it took him less than a minute to choose Houston over the other offers because he felt he had the best chance with the Texans.

To say he has taken advantage of it is an understatement, but that’s in great part to Sheppard’s attitude, a bigger force than his pass rush.

”I feel like I’m a first round pick, because I got the opportunity to show what I can do,’’ Sheppard told The Herald in a phone interview on Thursday. “I take a humble approach. Some guys feel like they should have been drafted (and get down). Every guy in the world feels he should have been No. 1. But I just look at it as an opportunity. It doesn’t matter of you’re the No. 1 draft pick or a free agent, you still have to prove yourself. All you can ask for is the opportunity, and I just look at this opportunity as a blessing.’’

The Texans might have gotten one of the biggest steals out of the college crop.

“He has done a great job for us,’’ Texan general manager Rick Smith told the media this week in Houston. “What you look for is you look for some redeeming qualities, very similar to the latter part of the draft when you’re looking for… guys who have good football character and guys that have something about them that you like. He has shown flashes out here over the last few weeks that he is capable of playing in this league, and that’s exciting for him.”

Still, it’s one step at a time for Sheppard.

“I think I did pretty good. I got better every day, and that was my goal,’’ he said. “I don’t feel like I accomplished everything I wanted, but it was enough to be invited to training camp. The last couple of weeks I got a chance to work with the coaches and the players and learn a lot. It’s one step at a time. There’s the OTAs, the training camp, the preseason games — it’s one phase at a time.’’

He has heard the compliments and knows his name is being bounced around as a guy who could make the team, but Sheppard’s keeping both feet on the ground.

“When I hear that it just humbles me down even more,’’ he said. “It makes me want to work even harder. It doesn’t make me want to relax. It just give me more motivation to make the team.’’

Sheppard has always been an underdog. He didn’t play his ninth grade season at Bainbridge and was over looked by colleges coming out of high school. Houston Nutt, who was then the Arkansas coach, saw what should have been obvious: Sheppard is a powerful and fierce defensive lineman who creates havoc, a player who lives in the opponent’s backfield.

Now it’s just a matter of Sheppard proving himself all over again.

“It’s exciting,’’ said the ever-positive Sheppard, whose shoulder is now 100 percent. He doesn’t have to hold back anything. “It’s a lot of hard work, but a lot of fun. Every day I’m learning something new. I’m having a blast.’’

Sheppard is staying in Houston for another two weeks to work out with the strength coaches and run on his own, then he’ll come home to Bainbridge for about 10 days, then head back to Houston to work out on his own for another 10-12 days before training camp begins. He doesn’t mind the work or the grind. He relishes it.

“It kills your social life in a good way,’’ he said of his regimen. “You’re getting up every morning thinking about nothing but football. When you’re really focused on something that’s the way it is. You don’t have time for other things. You want to be 100 percent football.’’
It’s simply a matter of knowing what’s at stake.

“If you don’t take care of business, you’ll be going home,’’ he said. “There’s no time for slacking off. They can do without you if you don’t take care of business.

“The way I feel is that the good Lord has blessed me with an unbelievable opportunity just to be here,’’ he said. “It humbles me and makes me excited to be here every day I’m here, and makes me want to work that much harder every day.’’
LINK
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans impressed with Bainbridge’s Sheppard

You know your weak in a position when the UDFA feels they have a chance to make your roster in their position. Especially when the UDFA is highly sought after (as much as a UDFA can be ).
Old 06-18-2010   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd really love to see this kid make the team...he's hungry to succeed while Okam is hungry for donuts.
Old 06-18-2010   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

More omens for Amobi.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been hearing a lot about this kid the past couple days. I'm already going to be watching the Mitch during camp. I reckon I'll be keeping an eye on Sheppard too? Imagine if 2 rookies make the final DT rotation.
Old 06-18-2010   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
More omens for Amobi.
id be thinking theres alot more guys like okam, bulman, deljuan etc worried about these guys than amobi
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I need to go watch more Arkansas tape. I was expecting this guy to be cut, because like the Texans FO, I thought he had limited athleticism. The shoulder tear definitely would impact the combine and such.

This team's DT rotation could be really young. Mitchell, Sheppard, and Okoye are all rookie aged. Odds are one of them pans out.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2010   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really understand why Okoye's age matters. He might be the same age as some rookies, but he's also had the benefit of 3 years of NFL training and coaching, and hasn't made anything of it. His age is pretty much irrelevent, unless you can explain to me what benefit a 3 year NFL veteran aged 26 has over a 3 year NFL veteran aged 23.
Old 06-18-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't really understand why Okoye's age matters. He might be the same age as some rookies, but he's also had the benefit of 3 years of NFL training and coaching, and hasn't made anything of it. His age is pretty much irrelevent, unless you can explain to me what benefit a 3 year NFL veteran aged 26 has over a 3 year NFL veteran aged 23.
If it all clicks for him this year, then he is still young. Which is good, because the Texans can have him longer, barring injuries.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #10
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 834 Wolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

Quote:
Physically, males don't stop growing until about age 21. When we picked up Amobi, his body hadn't stopped changing. That alone can play havoc on any athlete. Imagine playing in the pros and you are still trying to adjust to a constantly changing body.

I found this link interesting for general info: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4090736AAUWUnZ

CND would know more. I think that Amobi will be a beast this year.
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“I’m not trying to put pressure on him or anything, but I am putting the pressure on Amobi Okoye and the rest of the DTs."
Fixed it for you guys.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiegrrl View Post
Physically, males don't stop growing until about age 21. When we picked up Amobi, his body hadn't stopped changing. That alone can play havoc on any athlete. Imagine playing in the pros and you are still trying to adjust to a constantly changing body.

I found this link interesting for general info: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4090736AAUWUnZ

CND would know more. I think that Amobi will be a beast this year.
So, it's your contention that Amobi has struggled the past two seasons because he has reached the age in which some men stop growing? I guess I fail to see the connection, even if that were true.
Old 06-18-2010   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, it's your contention that Amobi has struggled the past two seasons because he has reached the age in which some men stop growing? I guess I fail to see the connection, even if that were true.
Amobi played well last year. How can you fail to see the connection between not being fully physically mature and not being at max potential performance level? Seems pretty obvious.
Old 06-18-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be really surprised if Sheppard supplants a starter in his rookie year. I think Frank Okam is as good as done though.
Old 06-18-2010   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Amobi played well last year. How can you fail to see the connection between not being fully physically mature and not being at max potential performance level? Seems pretty obvious.
She said the age in which men stop growing is 21. He was 22 last year. Whatever that age may be, it's that age for some men.

Further, Amobi played at 300 lbs., heavier than he was his rookie season, and he played worse than his rookie season. So, I find any argument about physical maturation being the cause of his play weak.

He has NFL size, NFL training, and NFL coaching, I don't really see how it matters that he's 23 or 25.
Old 06-18-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Well, I need to go watch more Arkansas tape. I was expecting this guy to be cut, because like the Texans FO, I thought he had limited athleticism. The shoulder tear definitely would impact the combine and such.

This team's DT rotation could be really young. Mitchell, Sheppard, and Okoye are all rookie aged. Odds are one of them pans out.
You are reading him right. Kubes loves this kid's intensity and fire like he does Studdard. Sheppard will be a TC tool to push those assuming a roster spot. He might make the team but I'll be surprised.
Old 06-18-2010   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad the guy is impressing, but want to see how a smallish DLman holds up with the pads on.
Old 06-18-2010   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
You know your weak in a position when the UDFA feels they have a chance to make your roster in their position. Especially when the UDFA is highly sought after (as much as a UDFA can be ).
Yep, that's what I was thinking...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

out DT situation is going to be extremely interesting this year thats for sure. between the new guys impressing & amobi at his best pass rush weight, we might finally see a bit more production there. just hope the run D continues to hold up
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The more competition the better. I hope Sheppard can supplant someone.

I guess Zgonina is finally gonna retire? Mitchell and Sheppard combined are about the same age... that's crazy to think about!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read