Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winston talks scheme, Gibbs, red-zone woes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,249191

Eric was his usual self candid, open, honest.

On the scheme:
Quote:
SC: Are the Texans are still a zone-blocking team?
EW: Yeah, that's pretty much who we are - I don't see us going away from that. That's the way we've been since I've been here. I think we're a zone team that's (going to) change speeds with a man-blocking play - we're not a curveball pitcher. We like to bring the heat with the zone, and we'll mix it up with other stuff.
Gibbs:
Quote:
SC: What was working with Alex Gibbs like? What did you learn from him that you didn't already know?
EW: And that's been the best thing about Alex - if you look at him, you know he's never played a down of offensive line in his life (laughs), and he'll be the first to admit it. He told us that he learned a lot of (what he knows) from the guys he coached. That's how things become a little different; it's not theory ... just one guy who played offensive line, and his coach told him how to do this, and another coach told him how to do that. And really, he was smart enough to take all that commentary, put it together, and come up with this (zone-blocking) scheme.
Red-zone troubles (very interesting):
Quote:
SC: What has been the issue with Houston's red zone inefficiency in the last two seasons? And do you think Alex Gibbs teams get an unfair debit when it comes to red zone running?
EW: I've never been a big fan of the idea that when you get near the goal line, you have to put that big, 250-pound running back in. I've played with guys at 185 pounds who are some of the best goal-line backs I've ever seen, and I've played with guys who are 235 and great goal-line backs. Red zone running is just so different from open-field running; even down at the 25- or 20-yard line. When you're down at the one- or two-yard line, there's a certain way you run. Some guys just know what the hole is going to look like, and how to get in there. So, people who say, "Oh, the lighter guys, that's the problem," it's not really that.
I think our red zone problems are getting better. It was a huge problem in 2008. I think we were a better offense in 2008 than in 2009, even though the stats don't show it, because we were more balanced. (New offensive coordinator) Rick Dennison will be a big factor; I think that will be his stamp on the team. All the (offensive coordinators) who have come through here have done something special. If you look at the two years (2008-2009) that Kyle Shanahan was the offensive coordinator, we had some huge passing numbers, and Matt Schaub(notes) has developed in to an elite quarterback. But a few of the wrinkles that Dennison has put in could be a big difference in the red zone, and let's face it, that's the difference between winning and losing - are you going to kick field goals, or are you going to score touchdowns?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winston talks scheme, Gibbs, red-zone woes

The backs have never really been the big problem in the redzone......the guys if front of them have been (which Winston doesn't even talk about, which is understandable)

When you get into the red zone or obvious short yardage running situations things become more bunched up and when it's time for the guys in the middle to put on their big boy pants and get the big boy yards.....they (Myers) can't get any push up the middle. Our line repeatedly gets blown off the ball in the red zone and our backs have to try to dodge tacklers in the back field.

Foster was the only back that I saw who was able to overcome this last season....in the Pats game, he basically pushed the pile into the endzone.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
The backs have never really been the big problem in the redzone......the guys if front of them have been (which Winston doesn't even talk about, which is understandable)

When you get into the red zone or obvious short yardage running situations things become more bunched up and when it's time for the guys in the middle to put on their big boy pants and get the big boy yards.....they (Myers) can't get any push up the middle. Our line repeatedly gets blown off the ball in the red zone and our backs have to try to dodge tacklers in the back field.

Foster was the only back that I saw who was able to overcome this last season....in the Pats game, he basically pushed the pile into the endzone.
Yep
Old 06-17-2010   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read, thanks.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Dennison hire. But I don't remember Denver being very effective in the Red Zone last year either.

The play calling could have as much effect on the Red Zone conversion as the RBs. Run-Pass Imbalance In the Red Zone--1st Downs

I think we also we find out this year if the typical light weight fleet-of-foot Gibbs type OL (ala Myers) in the Red Zone has played out its swan song in the NFL, especially with so many Ds going to the Mammoth 3-4 types.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I like the Dennison hire. But I don't remember Denver being very effective in the Red Zone last year either.

The play calling could have as much effect on the Red Zone conversion as the RBs. Run-Pass Imbalance In the Red Zone--1st Downs

I think we also we find out this year if the typical light weight fleet-of-foot Gibbs type OL (ala Myers) in the Red Zone has played out its swan song in the NFL, especially with so many Ds going to the Mammoth 3-4 types.
Dennison was not the OC in Denver last season, he was the OL coach, as such he did not call the plays. He was replaced when Josh McDaniel's was hired to be the new HC. Denver changed it's entire offense and defense from the Shanahan teams.

Also if people remember correctly Dennison was Kubiak's first choice to be his OC when he came here, but Mike Shanahan refused to allow him to interview.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never been a big fan of the idea that when you get near the goal line, you have to put that big, 250-pound running back in. I've played with guys at 185 pounds who are some of the best goal-line backs I've ever seen, and I've played with guys who are 235 and great goal-line backs. Red zone running is just so different from open-field running; even down at the 25- or 20-yard line. When you're down at the one- or two-yard line, there's a certain way you run. Some guys just know what the hole is going to look like, and how to get in there. So, people who say, "Oh, the lighter guys, that's the problem," it's not really that.
Hmmm, someone around here has been saying this for years.
Old 06-17-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Dennison was not the OC in Denver last season, he was the OL coach, as such he did not call the plays. He was replaced when Josh McDaniel's was hired to be the new HC. Denver changed it's entire offense and defense from the Shanahan teams.

Also if people remember correctly Dennison was Kubiak's first choice to be his OC when he came here, but Mike Shanahan refused to allow him to interview.
I separated my first and second paragraph for a reason. The comment about play calling was not meant to be directed specifically to Dennison. It was referring to how it has affected our past Red Zone ineffectiveness, besides our RB problems.
Old 06-17-2010   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Hmmm, someone around here has been saying this for years.
Oh, Oh Mr. Kotter! Pick me!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was responding to this line not the later parts. Dennison did not have a say in the Denver play calling and thus Denver's Red Zone play is not relevant, IMO.

Your other points where/are strong points.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was responding to this line not the later parts. Dennison did not have a say in the Denver play calling and thus Denver's Red Zone play is not relevant, IMO.

Your other points where/are strong points.
It wasn't even the same blocking scheme either. McDaniels wanted to implement a power scheme but because of the pure zone scheme being in place there before (and Dennison coming from the Denver ZBS obviously) they went with a hybrid man/zone mess that amounted to a horrible running game. With Dennison as the OC here he's on the same page with his head coach and obviously has the power of calling plays and comfort of the familier ZBS already being in place.
Old 06-17-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gotcha.
Old 06-17-2010   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping to have a companion post to this up on the blog tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2010   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's part II?

Old 06-17-2010   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Here's the followup interview:

The Shutdown Corner Interview: Eric Winston (Part 2)
Old 06-17-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Part II even better!
Old 06-17-2010   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Thanks

Old 06-17-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I'm hoping to have a companion post to this up on the blog tomorrow.
I should give credit to Steph for this link she posted it on twitter
Old 06-18-2010   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I should give credit to Steph for this link she posted it on twitter
I was unaware of Steph's Twitter post of the link...........I obtained the link from another search source. Evidently, Steph posted the link on her account 1 1/2 hours PRIOR to my post.............sharp little cookie!
Old 06-18-2010   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

He also did very well against the Dolphins in terms of what you are talking about.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read