Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2010   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans hire college scout Mike Ackerley and other Scouting Moves

according to Paul Kuharsky via twitter. link

He's been with the Titans the last 10 years.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire college scout Mike Ackerley

The Tacks have always done a good job in the draft. I'm sure Ackerley will be a quality addition.

Anybody know who Ackerley is replacing on the scouting staff ? If anybody is being replaced.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Multiple scouting department moves

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...t-changes.html

The Houston Texans made several changes to their personnel department, promoting three people and hiring two scouts.

They promoted Chris Olsen to vice president of football administration, Lloyd Richards to vice president of football operations and Mike Maccagnan to assistant director of college scouting.

And the Texans hired Larry Wright as a pro scout and Mike Ackerley as a college scout.

Olsen is in his fourth season with the Texans. His primary responsibility is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the team’s salary cap.

He spent 13 years working at the NFL office in New York where he served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council.

He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure that teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and the salary cap.

Richards is in his fourth season with the Texans.

He oversees team travel, training camp, the Methodist Training Center and the Texans areas in Reliant Stadium, including scheduling, cleaning and maintenance.

Richards also oversees the team’s game day operations.

Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout as one of the team’s first hires. He works with director of college scouting Dale Strahm in coordinating all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts.

Wright is responsible for evaluating players on current NFL rosters as well as street free agents and players in the AFL, CFL, and UFL. He will also assist in advanced scouting of Texans’ opponents.

He previously worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003-07 in their pro scouting department.

Ackerley enters his first season as a Texans college scout after spending the previous 10 seasons with the Tennessee Titans. He is a 20-year NFL veteran that also worked for the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Old 06-16-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Wright replace Greir?

Hope the answer to that one is yes.
Old 06-17-2010   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

This was my first thought as well. Didn't see his name appear though so my guess is Grier is still with us in some capacity.
Old 06-17-2010   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No. Grier is the associate director of pro scouting while Wright was hire as a scout.In short, Grier is his boss and probably interiewed him etc.
Old 06-17-2010   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Olsen is one of the better hires during the Smith/Kubiac regime. Supposedly a very sharp dude with contracts. He has helped to correct some dufus decisions made by prior management, but hey..
Old 06-17-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
No. Grier is the associate director of pro scouting while Wright was hire as a scout.In short, Grier is his boss and probably interiewed him etc.
This is disturbing.

Incompetent people (Greir) shouldn't be part of the hiring process.
Old 06-17-2010   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As some of you know I'm kinda new at following the Texans closely year round, thus my question. After this comment and several mirroring the sentiment, what has this Greir fellow done that's so bad? Is he a leftover from the C&C days, throw somebody's Ganny on the tracks or what?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
As some of you know I'm kinda new at following the Texans closely year round, thus my question. After this comment and several mirroring the sentiment, what has this Greir fellow done that's so bad? Is he a leftover from the C&C days, throw somebody's Ganny on the tracks or what?
Bobby Grier has been in charge of saying these particular players are okay to pay money for in free agency:

Anthony Weaver
Ahman Green
Todd Wade
Tony Bosseli
Eric Moulds
Robaire Smith
And more
He's in charge of Pro Scouting and he has done a bad job.
Old 06-17-2010   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I think he is sort of a whipping boy as the one connection between the two administrations. We overall have not done well in our free agent acquisitions (although a little better now), so much has been laid at his feet by a group here. Really he is a non-decision making administrator at this point so while not a defender of his I think he gets too much talk for a guy who oversees aspects scouting but is not even the top manager the pro side of things.
Old 06-17-2010   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Default Re: Texans hire college scout Mike Ackerley and other Scouting Moves

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOffice.asp

Gardner, Brian Director of Pro Personnel
Grier, Bobby Associate Director of Pro Personnel
Murphy, Kevin Pro Scout
Wright, Larry Pro Scout
Strahm, Dale Director of College Scouting
Maccagnan, Mike College Scouting Coordinator
Ackerley, Mike College Scout
Carr, Jon College Scout
Cavanaugh, Ryan College Scout
Lambert, Ed College Scout
Martin, Mike College Scout
Merritt, Bob College Scout
Trott, Nathan College Scout

Grier is not even the top administrator on the Pro Side, much less is a decision maker.
Old 06-17-2010   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOffice.asp

Gardner, Brian Director of Pro Personnel
Grier, Bobby Associate Director of Pro Personnel
Murphy, Kevin Pro Scout
Wright, Larry Pro Scout
Strahm, Dale Director of College Scouting
Maccagnan, Mike College Scouting Coordinator
Ackerley, Mike College Scout
Carr, Jon College Scout
Cavanaugh, Ryan College Scout
Lambert, Ed College Scout
Martin, Mike College Scout
Merritt, Bob College Scout
Trott, Nathan College Scout

Grier is not even the top administrator on the Pro Side, much less is a decision maker.
And prior to Gardner, Grier worked under Chuck Banker, so while it's probably valid to criticize his performance, I don't believe he's ever been the top of the Pro Scouting department food chain.
Old 06-17-2010   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the follow up and background. I figured it had to have something to do with the "old days". ABTW, (edit) Granny ;^)

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Greir has been the constant in 2 different regimes. That has led to some of the dumbest FA signings in NFL history.

The late great Joel Buschbaum ? Greir's qualifications when he was the GM of the Pats. I cant find the link. The C&C losing factory thought it would be a good idea to bring Greir on board to help build the the franchise on the pro personel side of the organization. What true impact FA has been signed since this franchises inception? In short Greir isn't very good at his job.

Dont give me Pollard. He fell into their laps.
Old 06-17-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greir has been the constant in 2 different regimes. That has led to some of the dumbest FA signings in NFL history.

The late great Joel Buschbaum ? Greir's qualifications when he was the GM of the Pats. I cant find the link. The C&C losing factory thought it would be a good idea to bring Greir on board to help build the the franchise on the pro personel side of the organization. What true impact FA has been signed since this franchises inception? In short Greir isn't very good at his job.

Dont give me Pollard. He fell into their laps.
You also have to figure in trades. And to some degree, game preparation.

So, Walter, Antonio, Pollard, are a few who go on that ledger card. Yes, plenty of bad FA signings, but it doesn't all go on Greir. I am sure that Green was Sherman's choice. We don't know what Greir had to say about that.

As posted earlier, greir is a voice, not necessarily a loud one.
Old 06-21-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

He was a loud voice in the previous regime.

The FA signings back then created the hole that Smithiak have yet to crawl out of. IMHO
Old 06-21-2010   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You also have to figure in trades. And to some degree, game preparation.

So, Walter, Antonio, Pollard, are a few who go on that ledger card. Yes, plenty of bad FA signings, but it doesn't all go on Greir. I am sure that Green was Sherman's choice. We don't know what Greir had to say about that.

As posted earlier, greir is a voice, not necessarily a loud one.

and also leach, andre davis, dreessen, butler, myers, zgonina, bentley, cody, reeves & wilson. granted not many on my list are standouts (apart from schaub) but most are solid contributors/ role players
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Bobby Grier has been in charge of saying these particular players are okay to pay money for in free agency:
Bobby Grier has been a whipping boy on Texan fan forums for every poor decision the Texans have made. Despite the fact that no one knows how much juice he has in the organization. If any. Ridiculous. Blame the guys at the top when things go wrong. That's the honest thing to do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read