Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2010   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Duane Brown?

Anyone heard anything lately about the offseason activities of starting Left Tackle Duane Brown? He has continued to progress over the last two years, and he has not been bad at all. However, it would be nice to see him step up to the next level this coming season. I would love to hear that he has been really working out hard in the weight room and getting stronger, as this is definitely a key area that he would do well to improve in.

In any case, Left Tackle is an incredibly important position on this football team, which makes Duane Brown and incredibly important player for this football team. Anyone have any insight into what he has been up to, or what we can look forward to this upcoming season?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Anyone heard anything lately about the offseason activities of starting Left Tackle Duane Brown? He has continued to progress over the last two years, and he has not been bad at all. However, it would be nice to see him step up to the next level this coming season. I would love to hear that he has been really working out hard in the weight room and getting stronger, as this is definitely a key area that he would do well to improve in.

In any case, Left Tackle is an incredibly important position on this football team, which makes Duane Brown and incredibly important player for this football team. Anyone have any insight into what he has been up to, or what we can look forward to this upcoming season?
I think I remember hearing that he dropped weight to get quicker . To me , no news is good news with him or most vets .
Old 06-16-2010   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think I remember hearing that he dropped weight to get quicker . To me , no news is good news with him or most vets .
Thats what I was thinking , when it comes to the OL , no news is good news. If we are talking about OL .... Something's probably not right or someone's playing poorly.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It has been said that Brown hasn't been able to perform his best and take it to the next level because of spotty LG support. He has overall held down the fort. But he has had his weaknesses exposed often enough. This year, we should have an improved LG support that will no longer give Brown much leeway for excuses for not attaining next level status.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
We haven't really been told how much weight he has lost. In his rookie year, he came into TC weighing 20 pounds heavier than the 310 pounds the Texans wanted. He never got past 315........and played that weight last year. The reason Kubiak wanted him down in weight is because he had so many problems against the speed rushers. They questioned his lateral quickness. This was especially evident in the 2 Colts games where he was dinged with
9 of his 36 pressures allowed and 3 of his 7 sacks allowed. It is to be seen if he will keep his weight down, and if he does, if he gains that lateral quickness........and, of course, while gaining not losing strength. Remember, Kubiak emphasizing earlier this year that, if we were to go further, both OL had to "play stronger?"
Old 06-16-2010   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Really Brown needs to tighten up against Freeney. I don't think he's ever going to be a top tier elite tackle, but he definitely does a great job protecting the blindside (Just not against Dwight Freeney).
Old 06-16-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Really Brown needs to tighten up against Freeney. I don't think he's ever going to be a top tier elite tackle, but he definitely does a great job protecting the blindside (Just not against Dwight Freeney).
Not too many LT do a great job against Freeney. That's why he goes to the pro bowl every year.
Old 06-16-2010   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We haven't really been told how much weight he has lost. In his rookie year, he came into TC weighing 20 pounds heavier than the 310 pounds the Texans wanted. He never got past 315........and played that weight last year. The reason Kubiak wanted him down in weight is because he had so many problems against the speed rushers. They questioned his lateral quickness. This was especially evident in the 2 Colts games where he was dinged with
9 of his 36 pressures allowed and 3 of his 7 sacks allowed. It is to be seen if he will keep his weight down, and if he does, if he gains that lateral quickness........and, of course, while gaining not losing strength. Remember, Kubiak emphasizing earlier this year that, if we were to go further, both OL had to "play stronger?"
Do you have a link for that info? I'm not questioning you, just thought it would be interesting to see stats like that for OL.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown will have some serious challenges this season.

Dwight Freeney (twice)
Brian Orakpo
DeMarcus Ware
Kamerion Wimbley
Osi Umenyiora
Tamba Hali
Shawne Merriman
Aaron Kampman (twice)
Calvin Pace
Derrick Morgan (twice)
Terrell Suggs
Trent Cole
Elvis Dumervil

Brown needs to get in the best shape of his life and study tape more than ever. Matt Schaub's health depends on it.
Old 06-16-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Do you have a link for that info? I'm not questioning you, just thought it would be interesting to see stats like that for OL.
Sacks Allowed 7 http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/b...he-most-sacks/

I'm still looking for the source of the 36 pressures number.
Old 06-16-2010   #11
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No worries man, don't strain yourself looking to prove to me. I was just wanting to see other individual stats like these that you don't normally see on the major sports site, i.e., nfl and espn
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Very interesting to note that the 7 sacks allowed was in the first 9 weeks. And also that the median time was 3.6 seconds. IMO, if the QB is given 3.5 seconds the OL has done their job. After that, it is on the QB.
Old 06-16-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
No worries man, don't strain yourself looking to prove to me. I was just wanting to see other individual stats like these that you don't normally see on the major sports site, i.e., nfl and espn
Finally found it:

Quote:
We have news of another Texans who lost weight: LT Duane Brown. Why is this newsworthy? Well, Duane Brown did show improvement last season (I know Rivers is saying that it's hard not to show improvement when you were so bad in your rookie year), but his main weakness continues to be was Indianapolis and their speed rushers. He gave up 3 of his 7 sacks to Indy along with 9 of his 36 pressures allowed so it's the biggest area where he needs to improve.
Old 06-16-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Very interesting to note that the 7 sacks allowed was in the first 9 weeks. And also that the median time was 3.6 seconds. IMO, if the QB is given 3.5 seconds the OL has done their job. After that, it is on the QB.
I read somewhere a while ago that the sacks we gave up as a team avg out to be somewhere around the 3.6 number you mention...

I think what I read also said that the sacks Matt took avg out to be some of the longest if not the longest times holding the ball...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I read somewhere a while ago that the sacks we gave up as a team avg out to be somewhere around the 3.6 number you mention...

I think what I read also said that the sacks Matt took avg out to be some of the longest if not the longest times holding the ball...
I would be really interested if we could find the other side of the coin. Our pass defense was not all that good and the sack total was low, but I think our pressure time was pretty good. Our cb's (read DR mostly) was just not able to cover for 3.5 seconds. Or even 3.
Old 06-16-2010   #16
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thanks for the great links and great information.

Of course the pass rushing ability of the LT is crucial, and it is at that point of the game that a great LT earns his pay. So I am very interested in all the insight I can get into that aspect of Duane Brown's play.

However, the Texans led the NFL in passing last year, but continue to struggle with their running game. Chester Pitts going out was a big loss, but surely all of our running woes cannot be attributed to our injured guards. The Texans have two starting tackles that they appear to be content with at a minimum, with Eric Winston probably being regarded as the better of the two at this time.

Does anyone have a good sense about how strong of a run blocker Duane Brown is, and what he needs to do to improve his run blocking?
Old 06-16-2010   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the great links and great information.

Of course the pass rushing ability of the LT is crucial, and it is at that point of the game that a great LT earns his pay. So I am very interested in all the insight I can get into that aspect of Duane Brown's play.

However, the Texans led the NFL in passing last year, but continue to struggle with their running game. Chester Pitts going out was a big loss, but surely all of our running woes cannot be attributed to our injured guards. The Texans have two starting tackles that they appear to be content with at a minimum, with Eric Winston probably being regarded as the better of the two at this time.

Does anyone have a good sense about how strong of a run blocker Duane Brown is, and what he needs to do to improve his run blocking?
http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...e_numbers.html

Quote:
Duane Brown - 129 Point of Attack (POA) attempts (a POA attempt being credited to a lineman whenever they are blocking at the point of attack where the running back started upfield on his run), 569 yards (i.e. how many yards the ballcarriers gained on runs where Brown blocked), 4.4 yards per attempt (YPA), 113 POA wins (i.e. how many times Brown moved the defender out of the way to give the RB room to run - there is a lot more to it than that but that it the general explanation), 87.6% POA win rate (i.e. the percentage of times that Brown won his POA block)
Old 06-16-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Brown was a better pass blocker than run blocker (see Cumulative Tackle Summary below)

Guys, for those that love sophisticated and hard-to-find formula-based statistics, you'll love knocking your heads against this web site.

ProfootballFocus.com

Cumulative Tackle Summary

Pass Blocking Productivity - Part 1

Pass Rushing Productivity
Old 06-16-2010   #19
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Brown was a better pass blocker than run blocker (see Cumulative Tackle Summary below)

Guys, for those that love sophisticated and hard-to-find formula-based statistics, you'll love knocking your heads against this web site.

ProfootballFocus.com

Cumulative Tackle Summary
Pardon my ignorance, but what do these numbers tell us? The following two lines are the stat lines ffor Brown and Winston from Cumulative Tackle Summary at the ProFootballFocus link above. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Code:
 #  	Pos.  	  Name         Team  	Snaps  	Ovrall  Pass  Screen  	Run  	Pen  	#Pen 	QBSk QBHt QBPr
LT (0), RT (16) Eric Winston	HST	1084	4.6	8.4	3.0	-3.8	-3.0	3-0	5     7    19
LT (16), RT (0) Duane Brown	HST	1055	-15.0	-12.2	2.0	3.2	-8.0	8-1	7    11    35
Old 06-17-2010   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what do these numbers tell us? The following two lines are the stat lines ffor Brown and Winston from Cumulative Tackle Summary at the ProFootballFocus link above. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Code:
 #  	Pos.  	  Name         Team  	Snaps  	Ovrall  Pass  Screen  	Run  	Pen  	#Pen 	QBSk QBHt QBPr
LT (0), RT (16) Eric Winston	HST	1084	4.6	8.4	3.0	-3.8	-3.0	3-0	5     7    19
LT (16), RT (0) Duane Brown	HST	1055	-15.0	-12.2	2.0	3.2	-8.0	8-1	7    11    35
Actually, by these numbers, Winston was a better pass blocker than a run blocker (the green and more positive, the better; the red and more negative, the worse; sacks allowed, qb hits allowed, qb pressures allowed are listed in the right most columns) and Brown a better run blocker than pass blocker (I correct myself).
In these overall ratings of the 77 OTs, Winston rated 15th..........and Brown 60th (not very impressive).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read