Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2005   #1
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default Bennie Joppru

does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr? i really am dying to see what he has because he has been highly thought of by casserly and capers ever since b4 he was drafted. he has been having nagging groin injuries and its unfortunate. i hope he can still come in and make an impact bc i hear he is (or was) a complete TE.
Old 03-12-2005   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I have no idea. To be honest there is a better chance he never plays again, and we can never say if he ever fully heals because we never saw him play in the NFL before the injury.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He was supposedly fully healed last year but the team didn't want him playing in games when not in football shape and didn't want to take a roster spot from a guy who could contribute. We aren't going to know anything more than that until camp starts.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #4
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default ...

What kind of tight end was he projected to be, with a 2nd round pick I am guessing he is a game changer? If anyone can let me know Id like to hear more about him
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default discussion of Michigan and hernia/groin injuries

from footballguys.com a discussion

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...hl=chris+perry
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting that Perry and Joppru both have the same type problem and both from Michigan.

OT but that board has a serious case of quote-itis. Every other post is a monstrous multiple quote post.

Old 03-12-2005   #7
no81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Goooo bennieee goooooo! Now we need a TE who can recieve and block. This Miller and Breuner rotation is simply just....... silly.

We can find a starter 3rd round in the draft or if we really wanna somethng special, we go for Heath Miller. He is like Bubba Franks w/ Gaffney's speed and insanely smart at exploiting the zone. He might drop to as far as 20. Get an extra 2nd round and load up on future Linemen.
We have one .......Matt Murphy
Old 03-12-2005   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Interesting that Perry and Joppru both have the same type problem and both from Michigan.

OT but that board has a serious case of quote-itis. Every other post is a monstrous multiple quote post.
I think we would need at least a third before we blame Michigan's training program, but the way it came down with the double surgeries being need is too errie.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #9
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default David Baas

Please don't draft David Baas!!! Michigan is cursed program
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont know why we even drafted him. I was like, what the hell Jason Witten is still on the board, and we draft Bennie Joppru. I thought that the best TE in the whole 2003 draft was Witten, even over Dallas Clark. But we miss out on a future pro bowl TE and give him up to the CowGirls

Oh yeah we passed up EJ Smith too. OMG

Last edited by BuffSoldier; 03-12-2005 at 05:26 PM.
BuffSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been very sympathetic to Joppru's situation, but knew nothing about
the person other than he was a talented college football player. Maybe since he came from some really small place in Minn, I thought Bennie was one of those puratanical midwestern guys who read the Bible on a daily basis and never had a drink.
But I've stumbled across a link that describes some of Bennie boys social activities in college and they didn't mention Bible study groups. Seems he got
on the coaches shi& list because he was talented but didn't apply it. Actually
he was a bar room brawler who goofed off his first few years of college.
But he redeemed himself and gained the affection and respect of his teammates - they voted him a captain.
Good link if you interested in Bennie the person:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...file112902.htm
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by no81
We have one .......Matt Murphy
Are you really Matt Murphy, or are you just an obsessed fan?
Old 03-12-2005   #13
no81
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Are you really Matt Murphy, or are you just an obsessed fan?

No, I'm not...I just think there are greater needs than the TE position.
Old 03-12-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr?
I remember asking myself this same question last offseason.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

it is still 50-50. There is no way to say he is more or less likely to recover until we hit training camp.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
But he redeemed himself and gained the affection and respect of his teammates - they voted him a captain.
Good link if you interested in Bennie the person:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...file112902.htm
Nice find. The late great Joel Buchsbaum said good things about him apparently. Joel was not the kind to gloss over guys he didn't like.
Quote:
And Joppru has not disappointed. He’s been one of the country’s most productive tight ends this fall, catching 47 passes for 499 yards and five touchdowns. Just as importantly, he is a team leader — one of the Wolverines’ best captains during Carr’s tenure at Michigan, according to the head coach. Draft expert Joel Buchsbaum rates the 6-foot-4, 245-pound Joppru as one of the Big Ten’s best tight ends, and said in the most recent issue of Pro Football Weekly that the redshirt senior has “grown up and improved more than anyone on his Michigan team.”

Old 03-13-2005   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC
does anyone here think that joppru will make a significant contribution to the texans next yr?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! BJ is a huge draft bust! On the payroll for TWO years and hasn't played ONE stinkin down in the NFL! Even if he gets a little playing time, doubtful he will be a starter. He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #18
uhcougar08
SHSUKATS08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! BJ is a huge draft bust! On the payroll for TWO years and hasn't played ONE stinkin down in the NFL! Even if he gets a little playing time, doubtful he will be a starter. He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.
No offense, but how can you people critisize the guy? He is injured. If you have ever played sports, then you would know that sometimes an injury occurs even when in awesome shape. I gaurantee he is not sitting at home saying "I hope I stay injured so I don't get to prove myself!"

Not everyone is Dunta or Dre. If he comes back healthy, let him try to prove himself before you kick the guy when he's down.

By the way, if you didn't know, not every star in the NFL started their careers out the way these two talented young men have, some people just have to work a little harder to get to that next level.
Old 03-13-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Says the Billy Miller for President fan club. Joppru wasn't drafted in the top 10 of the draft either so why even compare him to DUNTA or AJ?
Old 03-13-2005   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He was NEVER the calibur draft pick like Dante or Andre, so doubtful he would be able to make the impact those two players made their first year.
Its spelled Dunta

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read