Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2010   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dickerson Happy to Know What He Is

Rookie Dickerson adjusts to new position
By KRISTIE RIEKEN (AP) 3 hours ago

HOUSTON Dorin Dickerson spent the last two seasons as a tight end at Pittsburgh after spending his sophomore year playing linebacker.

Now the rookie seventh-round pick is a receiver for the Houston Texans. At least he's returning to the position where he started his college career.

The transition hasn't been easy. Dickerson has been eating salads to shave 8-10 pounds off his 6-foot-2, 230-pound frame. Lunching on lettuce after sweating through hours of practice in the Houston heat and humidity has been difficult, but he's sticking to it to reach his goal.

Coach Gary Kubiak said the weight loss is necessary to increase his stamina so he can compete with Houston's other receivers.

"His conditioning level is not good enough to play at our level right now," Kubiak said. "I don't think that's his fault. We're trying to catch him up. He's got to lose about 10 pounds and just get to where he can run all day."

For now, Dickerson is adjusting to the change by shadowing star receiver Andre Johnson. He hopes learning from one of the best receivers in the NFL will help and said he's already picked up a lot from Johnson.

The Texans believe Dickerson's progress in college may have been hindered by playing so many positions. Along with tight end, linebacker and receiver, he also saw action at fullback and returned kicks. Last season he had a career-high 49 receptions for 529 yards and 10 touchdowns.
Kubiak suggested that Dickerson spend time with Johnson because he sees similarities in the two players.

"He's got that big body like Andre," Kubiak said. "He's got a little stiffness that we've got to work through and I think that comes from just not playing that position for a long time. It's been hard on the kid: linebacker, fullback, tight end, wide receiver. Hopefully we'll settle him down and now he can be the best he can be."

Dickerson said he was smaller when he arrived at Pittsburgh and as he got bigger coaches couldn't figure out where they wanted to use him. He seems relieved the Texans aren't planning to move him around.

"I'm a receiver now," he said. "That's where I'm going to be playing at this year. I don't know what the future holds but I'm working at receiver now and trying to mold myself into a receiver."

Moving around so much could have hurt more than just his development. Dickerson was projected to be drafted as high as the third round, but instead fell to the last round. He said he's using that as motivation.

"I was supposed to go pretty high in the draft and I ended up not," he said. "So that's life. But I still want to prove something. I have a chip on my shoulder now and I want to show everybody I wasn't a seventh-round pick and hopefully help this team win."

While the Texans hope to keep him at receiver, he will see some work on special teams. With nine other players vying for playing time at receiver, Kubiak said Dickerson will have to contribute on special teams to earn a spot on the team.

Dickerson's progress was halted on Tuesday when he tweaked a hamstring during practice. He'll likely miss Houston's last offseason workout on Wednesday because of the injury, but will be back on the field when the Texans start training camp later this summer.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Dickerson Happy to Know What He Is

I'm extremely excited about this player's potential. He can be our Marques Colston... but for now i'd love to see him at gunner. A big WR who can run and tackle like a LB? Joe Marciano is tickled pink by the idea!!!
Old 06-15-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I am excited about him as well. But I expect him to open the year on the PS.
Old 06-15-2010   #4
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i was super pumped when we drafted him... i hope he turns out good lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved this pick, the moment I found out he was going to be a receiver (I was pissed at the idea of two 2 TE drafts back to back). Watching him catch the ball is beautiful. He will instantly become one of the better blocking receivers, and his time on D has taught him some nastiness. He will make the team based on special teams prowess alone. And by the end of his rookie deal (3-4 years) I predict he will be a starting caliber receiver.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #6
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I am excited about him as well. But I expect him to open the year on the PS.
Would they chance him on the PS?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"He's got a little stiffness that we've got to work through and I think that comes from just not playing that position for a long time. It's been hard on the kid: linebacker, fullback, tight end, wide receiver. Hopefully we'll settle him down and now he can be the best he can be." -- Kubiak
Two things:

1. I'm surprised Kubiak didn't tear him a new bootie-hole for not knowing what's up, and for not being in condition. I mean, Holliday didn't know all the ins-and-outs at OTAs...so how does Dickerson get a free pass on not being in better condition--Something that is easily attainable at his age and for being in the NFL now. Very interesting. The old Arbitrary Gravy Train vs. Dog House system is still in effect for Kubiak. It's like that game on Price is Right, where you drop the big disc onto the board and hits those pegs on the way down--Will your disc end up in the Gravy Train section or the Dog House section? Oh well, who cares about just treatment.

2. Glad to see Dickerson is a "kid." Always good to see Kubiak keeping it very Pop Warner League with the boys and such.

LOL. I'm just not in the mood for some of the B.S. I'm seeing lately. It's like Groundhog Day. I need a truck, a groundhog, and a cliff. Tried the toaster oven and the bathtub already.
Old 06-16-2010   #8
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hahaha that thread title plus my mind in the gutter had me afraid to open this thread...

pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I loved this pick, the moment I found out he was going to be a receiver (I was pissed at the idea of two 2 TE drafts back to back). Watching him catch the ball is beautiful. He will instantly become one of the better blocking receivers, and his time on D has taught him some nastiness. He will make the team based on special teams prowess alone. And by the end of his rookie deal (3-4 years) I predict he will be a starting caliber receiver.
Exactly my thoughts. Stamina is something that can be worked on. It never ceases to amaze my how much poor coaching goes on in college. Sort of expect that in high school. Example in the opposite is Kareem Jackson whose excellent college coaching in a pro defensive style helped him land this gig with Texans. So many players are just glad to get a scolarship at any school they do not evaluate the coaching staff that is to prepare them to succeed in NFL. With the receivers on the roster ahead of Dickerson, time can be spent to develop him into a very good player. Probably a perfect team for him to be on.

I enjoyed the thread topic.
Old 06-16-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting to note the AP writer chose to write on Texans lower round choice. I see that as a step in right direction.
Old 06-16-2010   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ive watched quite a few tapes on Dickerson myself - Its obvious he is physically gifted but I think he has a whole lot of work to do as a reciever.
Two things stand out , his routes arent real crisp and he seems to let the ball come to him rather than attacking it at its highest point.

It may take a couple years to for his play at WR to catch up to his ability physically.

I think if he makes the team out of camp its his ST play tht does it for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

1. I'm surprised Kubiak didn't tear him a new bootie-hole for not knowing what's up, and for not being in condition. I mean, Holliday didn't know all the ins-and-outs at OTAs...so how does Dickerson get a free pass on not being in better condition--Something that is easily attainable at his age and for being in the NFL now. Very interesting. The old Arbitrary Gravy Train vs. Dog House system is still in effect for Kubiak. It's like that game on Price is Right, where you drop the big disc onto the board and hits those pegs on the way down--Will your disc end up in the Gravy Train section or the Dog House section? Oh well, who cares about just treatment.
I think what Kubiak was getting at as far as conditioning is the difference between playing LB and WR . A WR is running up and down the field on almost every play where a LB is reading a play and moving into position to make a play on the ball. There's a lot less running at LB than there is at WR.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Stamina is something that can be worked on. It never ceases to amaze my how much poor coaching goes on in college. Sort of expect that in high school. Example in the opposite is Kareem Jackson whose excellent college coaching in a pro defensive style helped him land this gig with Texans. So many players are just glad to get a scolarship at any school they do not evaluate the coaching staff that is to prepare them to succeed in NFL. With the receivers on the roster ahead of Dickerson, time can be spent to develop him into a very good player. Probably a perfect team for him to be on.

I enjoyed the thread topic.
Yep. Let Dickerson sit behind AJ, learn from him and Walter, even JJ would be a good teacher. Dickerson has serious potential, and if receiver does not work out, he should be a good special teamer.

Good point on Jackson. I occasionally wonder if he has just about tapped out his potential, die to the fantastic coaching he received at 'Bama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ive watched quite a few tapes on Dickerson myself - Its obvious he is physically gifted but I think he has a whole lot of work to do as a reciever.
Two things stand out , his routes arent real crisp and he seems to let the ball come to him rather than attacking it at its highest point.

It may take a couple years to for his play at WR to catch up to his ability physically.

I think if he makes the team out of camp its his ST play tht does it for him.
Thats why he was a 7th rounder, as opposed to the 3-5th people were predicting pre-draft. He is rough, but the skills are all there. Route running can be taught; guys like Walter and Anderson are excellent route runners for Dickerson to emulate. He does need to work on timing his jump better, that is true. But he has an outstanding vertical, something like 43 inches. That, coupled with the fact that he will be taller than the CBs he is going against make it a little more acceptable. He also has incredibly strong hands, something instrumental for catching.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yep. Let Dickerson sit behind AJ, learn from him and Walter, even JJ would be a good teacher. Dickerson has serious potential, and if receiver does not work out, he should be a good special teamer.

Good point on Jackson. I occasionally wonder if he has just about tapped out his potential, die to the fantastic coaching he received at 'Bama.

Thats why he was a 7th rounder, as opposed to the 3-5th people were predicting pre-draft. He is rough, but the skills are all there. Route running can be taught; guys like Walter and Anderson are excellent route runners for Dickerson to emulate. He does need to work on timing his jump better, that is true. But he has an outstanding vertical, something like 43 inches. That, coupled with the fact that he will be taller than the CBs he is going against make it a little more acceptable. He also has incredibly strong hands, something instrumental for catching.
You hit the target as that is a concern for me. Hope we are wrong but do not need a DR type player that annually loses ground. I want my corners, QBs and WR to keep getting better in their first 3-4 seasons.
Old 06-16-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

still amazing to me we missed on Kareem Jackson in our collective mocks, he is ready made to start & key to his selection along with prioity need which was necessitated with loss of Dunta in free agency.

Dickerson is a project, can he follow in Andre Johnsons shoes? probably not but a big physical WR in the 7th round in a very strong class depth wise is not such a bad move. I still would have grabbed Blair White in the 7th (went undrafted) now trying to stick in a talented Peyton Manning corps of WR's.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

DD and AJ have a bunch in common . Size , speed , strength , and both were RBs in high school .

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ickerson-32000
Old 06-16-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
still amazing to me we missed on Kareem Jackson in our collective mocks, he is ready made to start & key to his selection along with prioity need which was necessitated with loss of Dunta in free agency.

Dickerson is a project, can he follow in Andre Johnsons shoes? probably not but a big physical WR in the 7th round in a very strong class depth wise is not such a bad move. I still would have grabbed Blair White in the 7th (went undrafted) now trying to stick in a talented Peyton Manning corps of WR's.
I don't think we missed on him BL. I had him rated, but late first and not the type CB Texans needed. I will think that way until Jackson proves me wrong. He will be good inside 15-20 yards and should earn his paycheck bumping the WR. If he can learn to turn and pursue and also when beat as all CBs are, to not take long to turn on his afterburners, he will be ok. I'm not sure he can do that but it is coachable. You are right that he will start but hopefully not too many TDs are given up before he gets the coverage down.
Old 06-16-2010   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we missed on him BL. I had him rated, but late first and not the type CB Texans needed. I will think that way until Jackson proves me wrong. He will be good inside 15-20 yards and should earn his paycheck bumping the WR. If he can learn to turn and pursue and also when beat as all CBs are, to not take long to turn on his afterburners, he will be ok. I'm not sure he can do that but it is coachable. You are right that he will start but hopefully not too many TDs are given up before he gets the coverage down.
I think the day he showed up , he was the best CB on the team .
Old 06-16-2010   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting to note the AP writer chose to write on Texans lower round choice. I see that as a step in right direction.
The PR department of the Texans let the writers know who they will get to talk to after practice, then the writers ask the coach about the kid, and interview the kid. That is why all the different sources for Texans news has the same stuff (everyone has the same interviews) everyday.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think the day he showed up , he was the best CB on the team .
I just don't agree with you. Reeves and Quin should be better just based on NFL experience. I think he will surpass Reeves by game one but will wait to see on beating Quin. I was flammed in my thread concerning drafting Jackson over Kyle Wilson or even McCourty. It is simply a taste test, you want a banger like DR that will often get beat on a deep route or a cover type CB? I like cover guy that mirrors WR like McCain, Texans and many on MB want a near the line banger.
Old 06-16-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
The PR department of the Texans let the writers know who they will get to talk to after practice, then the writers ask the coach about the kid, and interview the kid. That is why all the different sources for Texans news has the same stuff (everyone has the same interviews) everyday.
Ah, did not know that. I was impressed that she did not go after the "show" dogs but a mutt that I hope makes it to the ribbon ceremony.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read