Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2010   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans need to cut 5 players to make room for draft picks

Another fine piece from examiner blogger AJ Burge - http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email

his list seems fair, although I'm hoping Texans stash Sheehan & Polk on PS.

London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to cut 5 players to make room for draft picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Another fine piece from examiner blogger AJ Burge - http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email

his list seems fair, although I'm hoping Texans stash Sheehan & Polk on PS.

London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS
Keep in mind that there isn't a PS until after final cuts, but if they deem any of these guys as worthy of the PS, they will make it through until final cuts.
Old 06-13-2010   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans currently have 10 LBs on the roster. It will be difficult to get reps for that many, so I would guess one of the following would be on the hot seat:

Darrell Bing - Strictly a Will
Will Patterson - UDFA
Isiah Greenhouse - UDFA

If the Texans choose to go with only 3 QBs in camp, a decision between Sheenhan (UDFA) and Booty (less upside, more experienced) would be made.

With 7 OTs on the roster, one of these UDFAs will likely be released prior to camp:

Adam Ulatoski - Played both sides at UT
Cole Pemberton - Former Colorado State Ram (so he has that going for him)
Steve Maneri - TE conversion project (they love those guys)

8 DEs currently on the roster. Egboh and/or Unrein seem the likely choices to not see training camp.

The Texans only have one additional FB on the roster (Corcoran) to relieve Leach. I can't see him being released prior to camp, unless they pickup another FB.
Old 06-13-2010   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans only have one additional FB on the roster (Corcoran) to relieve Leach. I can't see him being released prior to camp, unless they pickup another FB.
what's Casey's status? seems he is always getting banged up but FB was supposed to be an option for him (listed 2nd on depth chart).
Old 06-13-2010   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what's Casey's status?
I think he tweaked a knee. Even if he's healthy for camp, the Texans are thin at TE with Daniels, Dreessen an Hill banged up. They'll need a FB at camp to go with Leach (ala Boomer Grigsby last year).
Old 06-13-2010   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think he tweaked a knee. Even if he's healthy for camp, the Texans are thin at TE with Daniels, Dreessen an Hill banged up. They'll need a FB at camp to go with Leach (ala Boomer Grigsby last year).
He tweaked his groin.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Owen is going remain #1 TE w/Garrett Graham is understudy which spells trouble for Casey. Dreessen is strongside starting TE w/Anthony Hill his understudy. so unless things change Casey will be in a fight to back-up Leach, I can't see them going more than 5 deep @ TE position.
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2010   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I kept Greenhouse over Corcoran because Ike can play fullback and from reports, he's a special teams demon. Who knows.... and no one will care come August. There's not much to talk about.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans did a nice job with UDFAs this year, in my opinion. There are a handful of guys I am pretty excited about.

Greenhouse is a guy I asked my friend for tape on during the draft season because I heard about his beastfullness on special teams. Words really cant do him justice: the man is crazy (in the good way). He has a shot to stick on the 53 because of that, and his ability to backup LB and FB.

Maneri I had as a blocking TE, but the coached moved him to OT. We will see, but if he can put on the weight, I could see him making the PS.

Mitch Unrein, DE from Wyoming, is a player to keep an eye on. Not really a weight room specimen, but plays the game hard. A blue collar kind of player, really good at anchoring against the run, but struggles to rush the passer from the outside. I heard he is up to 300 pounds, so they might be looking at moving him to DT. If Unrein carries the extra weight well, he should have an above average first step for a DT, and could probably get a decent push up the middle.

Polk is a FS project. WR hands, but not really physical. Still, I had him graded out to the 6th round.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I kept Greenhouse over Corcoran because Ike can play fullback and from reports, he's a special teams demon. Who knows.... and no one will care come August. There's not much to talk about.
isn't NW State the same team which lost to UH 55-7? I didn't see anything positive for him or anyone else wearing white & black that day. I think both Greenhouse & Corcoran are just camp bodies.

just throwing this out but you know there is a Colorado State connection, hence Cole Pemberton, 6'7" 316 OT very tall, angular specimen with long wingspan. could make the PS as a developmental swing tackle.
Old 06-13-2010   #11
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 14 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS
I didn't know any of these guys were even on the team. Learn something new everyday.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

just throwing this out but you know there is a Colorado State connection, hence Cole Pemberton, 6'7" 316 OT very tall, angular specimen with long wingspan. could make the PS as a developmental swing tackle.
That's why you don't see him on my cut list.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
That's why you don't see him on my cut list.
Where is said cut list?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
Where is said cut list?
In the OP, and the linked article.
Old 06-14-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Re-reading your article and taking another look at your at risk players, these would be my cuts:

London Crawford, WR, Arkansas

Reason: The team is stacked at receiver already. Dickerson will serve as our developmental player at the position, with Johnson, Jones, Walter getting a majority of playing time, with Anderson, Martinez and Davis competing for the remaining spot(s) at receiver.

Malcolm Sheppard, DT/DE, Arkansas

Reason: A DE/DT tweener is going to be cut before camp, and it is going to come from the 3 you mentioned, Sheppard, Pannel Egboh (Stanford- 2009 PS) or Mitch Unrein (Wyoming). As stated in an above post, I think Unrein makes the PS. He has enough athleticism, and hustles on every play. Between Sheppard and Egboh, Sheppard did play in a better conference, but Egboh has a year of experience in the system, and has the edge athletically.

Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas

Reason: Again, a player from this position has to be cut. Ulatoski is the least impressive OT on the roster, and is both too tall and too weak to make the switch to OG.

The cuts get harder after those first 3...

Pierre Singfield, CB, Arizona State

Reason: Once again, its about position depth. The Texans have a great problem, that being a plethora of young corners. Add in the first round pick to the likes of Quinn, McCain, Reeves, McMannis, and Molden, and they are pretty set at the corner position.

And even harder to find the final cut. I am actually going to split from your list (even though I readily admit that you are far wiser than I), and cut

John David Booty, QB, USC

Reason: Between Sheehan and Booty, I like Sheehan for this offense better.
Old 06-14-2010   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In the OP, and the linked article.
Thats an "at risk" list, as aj states that 5 need to be cut for the rookies. More will be cut later, but just to make room for the drafted guys, 5 need to go.
Old 06-14-2010   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Thats an "at risk" list, as aj states that 5 need to be cut for the rookies. More will be cut later, but just to make room for the drafted guys, 5 need to go.
And just to clarify a bit more, these are cuts that will need to be made as we sign the currently unsigned draft picks. None are necessary at this moment.
Old 06-14-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Owen is going remain #1 TE w/Garrett Graham is understudy which spells trouble for Casey. Dreessen is strongside starting TE w/Anthony Hill his understudy. so unless things change Casey will be in a fight to back-up Leach, I can't see them going more than 5 deep @ TE position.
If Casey is not a significant contributor this season, I will be even more upset he was selected over running backs in the draft.
Old 06-14-2010   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, I do not think OD is in the Texans definite long term plans at TE...

If he does not come back and show that he is capable of playing like he did pre-injury then I think we may let him go...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they traded him before the season started.

He has a injury history with his knee, and I think that the Texans can get high production from that position with or without Owen Daniels.

If it were me, I would probably trade OD for a good DT
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly, I do not think OD is in the Texans definite long term plans at TE...

If he does not come back and show that he is capable of playing like he did pre-injury then I think we may let him go...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they traded him before the season started.

He has a injury history with his knee, and I think that the Texans can get high production from that position with or without Owen Daniels.

If it were me, I would probably trade OD for a good DT
People say that about our offense, but I think having Owen Daniels in there opens it up so much more. He was Schaub's safety net before getting injured, and his skill set is better than any TE we have on the roster. I think our season could have ended up with a few extra Ws if OD was healthy.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read