Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2005   #1
cadahnic
All Pro

Default Texans Defense Is A Joke!!

The thought that resigning Payne, Deloach and signing L. Sanders, Greenwood and whoever else will improve our playmaking on defense is just plain insane. We are taking a chance that Payne can regain his former player status, which is probably not a bad risk. Sanders and Greenwood are "we had to do something" signings at best. Greenwood I have to believe will help our coverage, but I dont think anyone watched game tape on him and saw how sub-par TE used him, but he has to be better than anyone we have other than Peek, who should be the cornerstone of our LB crew. Yeah he is uncontrolled madness, but so was Junior Seau can anyone say great LB. I am not sold on Sharper just being ditched for nothing, he has been the consumate pro and if I am not mistaken he has led or been in the top 10 in tackles in the league since he arrived in Houston. Sharper is a playmaker on the downside of his career, we should be smart and package him in a deal during the draft to grab another playmaking linebacker. Babin was a reach and everyone knows it, we could have gotten him in the second round and filled depth, but hindsight is 20/20. Babin will be functional at best but a T. Suggs type OLB he is not. Wong should easily be moved inside, but he is costing us way to much money, but he is our best returning LB other than Peek (by the way should be a starter next season). Our secondary is nice and was near the top in interceptions, we need a eventual replacement to Glenn who only has 2 more seasons in him at most and Coleman is nice. This Earl kid the jury is still out on him we will see this year when he get tons of PT. Faggins is a prototype nickel and dime set corner so it is good we locked him down. Ahh the D-Line is actually not bad other than Walker, who should be the one we are desperately trying to ship off. He is terrible and when is he not injured now. Robaire is solid, Payne hopefully will return, and in the draft we hopefully find someone to replace Walker. Overall we should be a sleeper playoff pick, but look for us all next year to be making excuses to our friends as to why our beloved TEXANS did not make the playoffs. I will tell you right now it will be because our Defense is timid and C.Palmer will call pathetic games.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #2
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
The thought that resigning Payne, Deloach and signing L. Sanders, Greenwood and whoever else will improve our playmaking on defense is just plain insane. We are taking a chance that Payne can regain his former player status, which is probably not a bad risk. Sanders and Greenwood are "we had to do something" signings at best. Greenwood I have to believe will help our coverage, but I dont think anyone watched game tape on him and saw how sub-par TE used him, but he has to be better than anyone we have other than Peek, who should be the cornerstone of our LB crew. Yeah he is uncontrolled madness, but so was Junior Seau can anyone say great LB. I am not sold on Sharper just being ditched for nothing, he has been the consumate pro and if I am not mistaken he has led or been in the top 10 in tackles in the league since he arrived in Houston. Sharper is a playmaker on the downside of his career, we should be smart and package him in a deal during the draft to grab another playmaking linebacker. Babin was a reach and everyone knows it, we could have gotten him in the second round and filled depth, but hindsight is 20/20. Babin will be functional at best but a T. Suggs type OLB he is not. Wong should easily be moved inside, but he is costing us way to much money, but he is our best returning LB other than Peek (by the way should be a starter next season). Our secondary is nice and was near the top in interceptions, we need a eventual replacement to Glenn who only has 2 more seasons in him at most and Coleman is nice. This Earl kid the jury is still out on him we will see this year when he get tons of PT. Faggins is a prototype nickel and dime set corner so it is good we locked him down. Ahh the D-Line is actually not bad other than Walker, who should be the one we are desperately trying to ship off. He is terrible and when is he not injured now. Robaire is solid, Payne hopefully will return, and in the draft we hopefully find someone to replace Walker. Overall we should be a sleeper playoff pick, but look for us all next year to be making excuses to our friends as to why our beloved TEXANS did not make the playoffs. I will tell you right now it will be because our Defense is timid and C.Palmer will call pathetic games.
Offseason aint over whats up wit you
Old 03-12-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Babin was a reach and everyone knows it, we could have gotten him in the second round and filled depth, but hindsight is 20/20.
If you want to argue the Texans gave up to much to get Babin, knock yourself out, but hindsight says zero about whether we could have gotten Babin because no information has come out since the draft saying all the teams in between where we got him and our 2nd round pick (like the Patriots) would have passed on him.
Old 03-12-2005   #4
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

What if we draft a DL player? Would that change your mind? You see the problem I have is that you complained about the defense, but didn't offer a solution.

BTW, if Babin was a "reach" then why were other teams interested in drafting him in the first round? To be honest getting Drob made up for any lack of playmaker ability that Babin does not have. I also see Babin as a project player as well. He is still converting to LB. Why didn't you mention that? It is important.

I think we will draft a DL so we can be get younger across the entire team. If you look closely. There is solid youth at OL, QB, RB, TE, WR, LB, and DB. OL is debatable as they may not be as solid. The one area we do not have some above average youth is DL. IMHO I apologize if I seem turse.
Old 03-12-2005   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot New England is full of reaches . They have a WR playing CB . They have a college DE playing ILB . Need more Babin is a smart player who brings it on every play . He is not a stiff either look back at his combine #s .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #6
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

how can you say the D is a joke when you haven't even seen them play together
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #7
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
This dude thinks that improvement can only be made through high priced free agents.

1) Babin year 2
2) Robinson year 2
3) Earl year2
4) Peek starting
5) Possible starter from the draft
6) Greenwood speed inside

time to allow the team to mature and play as a unit is the key to improvement. Look at the redskins, dolphins....

Lets don't make any excuses this year. Hopefully all will go well but if not please no more expansion excuses, or blocking scheme excuses, or injury excuses, or rehab excuses, or rookie excuses, or player moved to new position excuses, or depth excuses, and finally pointing at other teams that are worse excuses.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2005   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Lets don't make any excuses this year. Hopefully all will go well but if not please no more expansion excuses, or blocking scheme excuses, or injury excuses, or rehab excuses, or rookie excuses, or player moved to new position excuses, or depth excuses, and finally pointing at other teams that are worse excuses.
So . . . . if all doesn't go well, then what do you want to see, or hear?

(Let me guess. You'll want to just fire them all, right?)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #9
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
how can you say the D is a joke when you haven't even seen them play together
i agree. our defense is awesome when we play together. consistency is just our problem.

p.s. (to dunta23) dunta was shafted for defensive rookie of yr! new york media is the reason y vilma won it. also bc the jets were a winning team

Last edited by TexanFanInCC; 03-12-2005 at 03:01 PM.
TexanFanInCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #10
fresno8
Veteran

I think everything is falling into place for this team. We're getting younger and holes we had are filling nicely. My only concern is the o-line. I hope we hit a homer in the draft on o-lineman or we could be in a little trouble. We have Greenwood, Peek, Babin, + draft pick, our secondary is coming together nicely (pretty young), I guess I have a little concern about our d-line, but a good draft pick will help erase that. Really if we get a better more consistent pass rush our D will be pretty good. Don't worry too much yet.
Old 03-12-2005   #11
rhc564
Veteran

Default Forgot one

Quote:
"we need to allow them time to gel"

...you forgot one
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans haven't been particularly prone to making excuses so I don't have any idea why you sound so sick of hearing them already. Someone needs to sit down with you and teach you the difference between an excuse and an explanation because you don't know what you're talking about.

Being an expansion team, being young, lacking depth, getting injured, and learning a new scheme are all things that legitimately affect a teams ability to win.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
The Texans haven't been particularly prone to making excuses so I don't have any idea why you sound so sick of hearing them already. Someone needs to sit down with you and teach you the difference between an excuse and an explanation because you don't know what you're talking about.
First off I'm not talking about the Texans making excuses. I'm talking about some of the posters on here. Secondly, I am referring to the upcoming season which is our 4th year and more will be expected from the team this year. Good teams overcome obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Being an expansion team, being young, lacking depth, getting injured, and learning a new scheme are all things that legitimately affect a teams ability to win.
Thanks for enlightening me.

Last edited by bckey; 03-13-2005 at 01:48 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005   #14
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this a fire Chris Palmer before the season starts thread or is this a defense rant? What does Palmer have to do with the D?

BTW, I am saving this to my puter and I will share it with you after the season.
Old 03-14-2005   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Does this huy know the first thing about defense ??? HAHA they need time to Gel, babin will be improved, D-rob (thats all i gotta say), Peek is a beast, Robaire Smith will only get better in our system, Aaron Gleen old but still one of the best CB in the league, Morlon Green wood has excellent speed inside and should help or LB pass protection, SeTh PaYnE had hamstring injury last game but will be fine and better next season cause a knee injury usually takes a LONG time to get back to 100%. Gleen Earl i was impressed with him when he took over browns spot last season he's good at stopping the run and dont seem to give up big plays in the passing game. If you think thats looking negetavie than i dont know what to tell you pal, but its looking pretty good to me !!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #16
jagboi
Rookie

I wouldn't say its a joke at all, you guys have one of the best defensive minded coaches in the leauge. Somthing tells me you'll be alright.
jagboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #17
texansfan88
All Pro

HEY! an intelligent jaguar fan...welcome!
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #18
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

haha yes i think we can all appreciate that !!!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #19
jagboi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

Eh...thanks, I was born in Texas, but Jags will always be my #1 team

I can't stand the Jags board anymore, all the do is go around and personally assualt eachother, I get tired of it.
jagboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #20
outofhnd
All Pro

Our Defense was a Joke When we had Matt Stevens patrolling the free safety Area. He couldnt wrap up a christmas gift. Last year was a vast improvement on defense, with the exception of the Minnesota and game 1 of the Colts we were stout and did not allow alot of points. If our defense is a joke then alot of NFL franchises missed the punchline because we were contenders to win 3 more games than we did. Examples How about the minnesota game? Even though we couldnt stop Mewelde Moore on runs we were a series away from probably winning that contest. Take 1 turnover away and we could have had victories over S.D and Detroit. If you want to look at a joke of a defense look no further than the 2004 Dallas Cowboys. The texans are just adding depth 1 draft at a time. I believe in building via the draft and minimizing your FA acquisitions after all look at the Redskins they have been big time FA deal makers and spenders, and they havent had a winning record since the Norv Turner coached era. I see us drafting defensive player no specific position just best available defensive player at 13.

P.S Babin was an awesome disruptor and made some critical defensive plays that could have been gamewinners. Babin on the outside teamed with Peek should give us an definite 2 punch threat on pass rush situations.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read