Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-09-2010   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Steve McNair death ruling is being challenged

Not sure if it will be re-opened, but here's a guy who is going to the trouble of trying to force this case back open again. I think CND was one of the people, along with me and a few others, who also felt this was too neat and tidy. Story details:

Quote:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A former Nashville police officer says he will present a report to a grand jury Friday asking that the Steve McNair murder-suicide case be reopened.

Vincent Hill, the former officer, filed a 32-page complaint last month citing what he called "numerous errors" by Nashville police in their investigation of McNair's murder on July 4, 2009. Police ruled that the former Tennessee Titans quarterback was shot dead in his sleep by his 20-year-old girlfriend, Sahel Kazemi, who then turned the gun on herself.

Roughly a week after the murder, Hill contacted Kazemi's sisters, telling them he didn't believe Sahel was the killer. For the past 11 months, Hill says, he's conducted interviews and compiled information on the case. This spring, Hill self-published "Playbook to a Murder," a book that outlines his theories on the McNair murder and his belief that Kazemi wasn't the shooter.

Hill says he spent most of his 4½ years on the Nashville police force in traffic patrol and resigned in 2006 to spend more time with his daughter. He currently serves as a fraud investigator for a credit card company and says he is working on his private investigator license. Though his history with former Nashville police chief Ronal Serpas has been described in the media as somewhat strained -- Nashville police say Hill resigned in 2006 with disciplinary action pending over a terminated pursuit -- Hill says he isn't doing this to get back at anyone.

"My whole motivation behind this the entire time," Hill said, "was to find answers for both families."

A longtime Nashville criminal attorney contacted by ESPN.com on Tuesday said that in Tennessee private citizens have the right to present criminal cases to the grand jury. Rob McKinney, a defense attorney in Nashville, said it's unusual for the grand jury to hold such a hearing.

"I don't want to say it's unheard of," McKinney said. "But it's extremely rare."

Reached late Tuesday, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said that the investigation remained closed and "we stand by that investigation."
Link to story
Old 06-09-2010   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Steve McNair death ruling is being challenged

"My whole motivation behind this the entire time," Hill said, "was to find answers for both families."

And definitely not to sell books. Nope. No way, Jose.
Old 06-09-2010   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Meh. You can have dual motivations, each one helping the other. I actually might get that book.

He's no Tony Montana. Of course, there will never be another Tony Montana.
Old 06-09-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I believe him but I don't see a problem with selling books either. He did the work and it takes a certain kind of passion to follow through with this. I'm very interested in buying the book.
Old 06-11-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not sure if it will be re-opened, but here's a guy who is going to the trouble of trying to force this case back open again. I think CND was one of the people, along with me and a few others, who also felt this was too neat and tidy. Story details:

Link to story

Thanks for the heads up......and I was indeed one who, given the available evidence, cannot accept the police conclusions. A perfect example of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Hopefully, the full Grand Jury is convened to reconsider the case.

Quote:
Grand Jury Hears Theories On McNair Case
Police Stand By Conclusion Of Murder-Suicide By Sahel Kazemi

UPDATED: 7:02 pm CDT June 11, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A former Metro police officer who wrote a book contradicting conclusions about Steve McNair’s murder took his theories to a grand jury Friday. He now says he has more information he's never disclosed.

"I will never believe that Sahel Kazemi pulled the trigger and shot Steve McNair four times. Never," said former Metro police officer Vincent Hill.

Hill detailed his theories in a recently released book called “A Playbook for a Murder.” But Friday, he said he had many more details to share with the grand jury.

"(I have more) information that I chose to keep out of the book, for obvious reasons. I didn't want to present that until I could get it to this level," said Hill.

On Friday, Hill presented his findings about former Tennessee Titan McNair to three members of a grand jury who could then take it to the full grand jury. They could take several actions, including dismissing it entirely or asking for a new investigation into McNair's death.

"The police department, without reservation, stands by its investigation," said Metro police spokesman Don Aaron.

Police also point to Hill's own history that includes a resignation from Metro Police Department following allegations he lied about a police pursuit.

"If the only thing they can come at me with is a pursuit, I welcome it. Unfortunately, they would rather focus on that than the true issues. It's sad," said Hill.

The grand jury could issue its findings next week.

Police recommended Hill lose his certification after the pursuit incident, but the Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission, which oversees police training in Tennessee, ruled otherwise.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the whole thing was fishy as well.
Old 06-17-2010   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

In my opinion, unfortunate. But I'm not sure that this is the last of it. How many murder cases don't end up being solved for years?

Authorities won't reopen Steve McNair murder case

Quote:
Last month, former Nashville police officer Vincent Hill filed a 32-page complaint seeking to reopen the Steve McNair murder case. On Thursday, a three-member grand jury panel opted not to do so.

Elizabeth Merrill of ESPN.com reports that the panel concluded that insufficient evidence exists to present Hill's theory to a full grand jury.

"Win, lose or draw, it's historic to just get it at that stage," Hill told Merrill. "Obviously, they thought there was something worth hearing just to even listen to the case.

"I would say that it's not over at this point."

We would say that it is over.

But that doesn't mean that we think it should be. We've long been troubled by the notion that Sahel Kazemi, a 20-year-old woman calmly pumped multiple bullets into the body of a sleeping McNair, especially after Armen Keteyian of CBS reported that the man who sold Kazemi the gun is himself a convicted murderer who traded 49 calls and text messages with Kazemi on the day before the incident, even though he claimed initially that he barely knew Kazemi.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

This is nothing more, IMO, than an entity who knows they screwed the pooch.

People are protecting their own you-know-whats, and pride is preventing this from being re-opened.

Some day, this will be re-opened and ruled differently.
Old 06-19-2010   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What, is he gonna still play that way or something?

Sheesh, the man is relentless.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

One year later, Nashville police still debunk "myths" on McNair murder

Quote:
After 20-year-old Sahel Kazemi gunned down former NFL quarterback Steve McNair on July 4, 2009, numerous questions immediately emerged regarding whether the case was as simple as it appeared to be. A year later, police in Nashville are still dealing with the question of whether the case was as simple as it appeared to be.

At some point, however, Nashville police will be perceived as protesting too much.

On Friday, they held a press conference to address multiple "myths" regarding the case. Per Chris Echegaray of the Tennessean, the police dealt with four of them.

First myth? "A pistol registered to Steve McNair was found inside the condo after the bodies were discovered." Police claim the pistol was in McNair's car.

Second myth? "Adrian Gilliam, who sold Kazemi the murder weapon, dated a woman on a professional football team that rented a nightclub owned by a McNair friend who found the bodies." (Yeah, we had to read it three times before it made any sense to us.) Police say the club was never rented by the team in question.

Third myth? "Gilliam promoted concerts at the friend's nightclub." Police claim it didn't happen.

Fourth myth? "The keys to McNair's car, parked outside the condo, were missing." Police contend that the keys were on McNair's body.

Frankly, we'd never heard any of those myths. And none seem to be nearly as potent as the facts reported in October 2009 by Armen Keteyian of CBS.

Gilliam was characterized last July as a bit player, a guy who had a gun for sale and who sold it to Kazemi. But Keteyian reported that Gilliam -- a convicted murderer -- had been in daily contact with Kazemi in the weeks preceding the shootings. In all, they exchanged more than 200 calls and text messages.

The day before the supposed murder-suicide, they exchanged 49 calls and texts.

Last December, police admitted that Gilliam was pursuing a relationship with Kazemi, but they claimed that cell phone records show that Gilliam was in the Spring Hill/Smyma area at the time of the shooting.

It's unclear whether anyone has considered the possibility that Gilliam's cell phone was in the Spring Hill/Smyma area at the time of the shooting, and that he had someone else make calls from it to cement his fairly simple alibi.

But, hey, why should we suspect a convicted murderer of, you know, murder? It's much simpler to conclude that a girl barely out of high school was capable of pumping two bullets into a man's chest -- and two more into his head -- while he was sleeping.
Old 07-03-2010   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

DATELINE had a whole program on all this a week or so ago.

Steve had several girlfriends. More than just the one young lady that murdered him.

He got around. And was open about it.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Although the recent Grand Jury failed to call for an indictment, there appears growing support for a reopening of the case. Apparently, there is a significant amount of pertinent evidence which has not been made public by the Tennessee PD.

Former police officer, college professor want to reopen case
Mock trial being planned in Mississippi to dispute murder-suicide conclusion

The Baltimore Sun
July 4, 2010

A year ago, Vincent Hill was like many others in Nashville caught up in watching and reading news reports on the death of former Tennessee Titans and Ravens quarterback Steve McNair. But as details emerged about what police called a murder-suicide that also took the life of McNair's 20-year-old mistress, Hill became suspicious.

"There are too many coincidences in this case for it to be a murder-suicide," Hill, a former Nashville police officer, recalled thinking.

There was the manner in which police say McNair was shot. Two of the shots were fired into McNair's temples, a sign of an execution rather than a crime of passion, Hill thought. When police said that the murder weapon — a 9 mm handgun — had been purchased by Kazemi a few days before the murder from an ex-convict named Adrian Gilliam, Hill suspected a cover-up.

"An ex-con would not sell a gun to a woman he didn't know, because she could have been an undercover cop or an informant," Hill said in a recent interview.

Police quickly closed the investigation, but Hill continued his own. An interview on NBC's "Dateline" led Hill to be contacted by several of McNair's family members and friends, as well as Kazemi's, and eventually to Hill's publishing a book on the murder. One of those Hill interviewed was Dr. Alvin T. Simpson, an Alcorn State professor who had known McNair since his career was launched at the small Mississippi university.

"Nothing ever made any sense," said Simpson, the interim chairman of the school's psychology department.

Though Hill and Simpson seem to differ on why McNair was shot, both believe Kazemi didn't do it.

In a joint statement released last month, police and prosectors stick by the murder-suicide conclusion.

"Detectives with decades of cumulative homicide investigative experience worked hundreds of hours to develop the facts surrounding the circumstances of these deaths," Nashville Police Chief Steve Anderson said. "Without any doubt, I remain confident in the murder-suicide conclusion."

Davidson County District Attorney Torry Johnson said Hill's conclusions are not backed up by facts.

"As these theories have been suggested, any necessary police work has been done to follow up," Johnson said. "But each time, those views have proven to be wholly without merit or contained a misrepresentation of the facts."

While denied by the grand jury, Hill and Simpson are trying to stage a mock trial to see where the evidence takes them. A confluence of text and taped messages between McNair and Kazemi in the days leading up to the murder — and Gilliam's phone records — will lead to a different conclusion, Hill said.

Hill said he was also suspicious of the fact that police said McNair was found with only $7 in his wallet at his downtown condominium; family members and friends told him that McNair often carried large sums of money on him.

Simpson recalled the question he asked members of McNair's family the day after the murder, when he went to the Mississippi ranch where McNair's mother and some other relatives lived.

"Steve was a sworn police officer in the Greenville [Miss.] Police Department and a little careless with his weapon. The first question I asked them was, 'Was he killed with his gun?'" Simpson said. "They didn't know at the time, but a few days later it was determined that he was not killed with his gun. That confirmed my theory that if she wanted to kill Steve, she had plenty of opportunity to use his gun."

McNair's gun, a Glock, was recovered at the condo, an indication to Simpson that there would have been no reason for Kazemi to buy a gun from Gilliam. McNair's brothers told Hill that McNair never slept without his own gun within arm's reach and that Kazemi was aware of where he kept it.

Hill said hours of Internet conversation between Kazemi and her sister who lives in Australia, as well as text messages between McNair and Kazemi the night before the murder, were never released by police.

Ultimately, the grand jury in Nashville considered Hill's request to reopen the investigation, but in the end decided to keep it closed. A police spokesman has characterized Hill as a disgruntled former officer who was dismissed from the force and is now trying to restore his reputation.

Hill said prosecutors are trying to protect the reputation of former Police Chief Ronal Serpas, who is now in the same position in New Orleans. Serpas did not return telephone calls from The Baltimore Sun.

"He's all about stats and numbers," Hill said. "What would you rather sell: two unsolved murders, one of them being Steve McNair, or just put it on her, close the case and pacify the world? A month ago, Chief Serpas came under fire for how he's been falsely reporting stats and handling homicides like this. I worked for that administration, and I know what goes on there."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read