Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2010   #1
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?

Interesting comments by Kubiak ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...ns-nickel-work
Old 06-08-2010   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?

Weird. Reeves was well above average 2 years ago and I thought he was certainly good enough to be 3rd on the depth chart last year. what happened i wonder
Old 06-08-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

"Third corner on the field" translates to me that Kubiak is referring to the nickel on the field at the same time. This statment would not preclude Reeves and Molden in the back up roles for the true right and left corners.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
"Third corner on the field" translates to me that Kubiak is referring to the nickel on the field at the same time. This statment would not preclude Reeves and Molden in the back up roles for the true right and left corners.
Yeah, I know that. It just seems surprising to me that they were not mentioned. I guess they will be relagated to ST and backups. But he did mention that Bennett and McMannis were being considered.

And if they move Quinn to the slot in the nickel, is Bennett or McMannis better outside than Reeves?
Old 06-08-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yeah, I know that. It just seems surprising to me that they were not mentioned. I guess they will be relagated to ST and backups. But he did mention that Bennett and McMannis were being considered.

And if they move Quinn to the slot in the nickel, is Bennett or McMannis better outside than Reeves?

I've actually come to like Reeves. Last season with a questionable pass rush, Reeves had his share of being picked on and did surprisingly well.........much better than the previous season. I believe has gets less credit than he deserves. But the competition should prove interesting this summer.
Old 06-08-2010   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

There should be good battle for that third spot.
Old 06-08-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've actually come to like Reeves. Last season with a questionable pass rush, Reeves had his share of being picked on and did surprisingly well.........much better than the previous season. I believe has gets less credit than he deserves. But the competition should prove interesting this summer.
Do you think Kubiak is sending a message to Reeves & Molden?
Old 06-08-2010   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

To think our secondary has fallen so far since the end of the season that Reeves isn't even a nickel anymore
Old 06-08-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you think Kubiak is sending a message to Reeves & Molden?
I still believe Reeves will be solidly inscribed as a veteral presence back up corner for us this year. I also think that if Molden can stay healthy, and that's a big IF, Kubiak feels that he could be a solid CB on this team.
Old 06-08-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I still believe Reeves will be solidly inscribed as a veteral presence back up corner for us this year. I also think that if Molden can stay healthy, and that's a big IF, Kubiak feels that he could be a solid CB on this team.
Ya know Doc Jean, I agree with you. After thinking about it, I think the only reason Kubiak did not mention Reeves and Molden is because he pretty much knows what he has with those two, and is more interested in answering questions about the others here in OTA's and mini-camp.
Old 06-08-2010   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

For what it's worth this discussion was begun by me a few weeks ago in the "Cornerback Rotation" thread..
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

If Molden stays healthy I think Bennett gets whacked. Bennett doesn't have the hips to be a corner and when Molden is healthy all he does is make plays. He was a beast on special teams as a rookie so if he's healthy, I think that'll be the edge...his special teams play.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #13
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The 3rd corner in the nfl plays more snaps than the slb. The 3rd corner plays over 60% of the snaps. Teams need 3 and smaybe 4 starting quality corners.
Old 06-09-2010   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure they have a spot.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive watched both Bennett and Reeves play and the thought of having Bennett on the field while Reeves is on the bench makes me seriously wonder if our coaches have any idea wtf they are doing sometimes
Old 06-09-2010   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

That's not a direct quote from Kubiak and is probably just an omission by Kuharsky.

Kubiak's been trumpeting up the young guys this offseason, but it'd take a monumental leap by McCain to unseat Reeves at the third CB.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 06-09-2010 at 10:56 AM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I felt like McCain had decent to above average coverage skills but his lack of physicality as a tackler showed up time and time again when I would re-watch. I know Kubiak has mentioned publicly that they are on him about being more physical but both he and Reeves are similar in that. I don't know if it's a physical issue in that they are both lighter (obviously McCain is smaller) but Molden would seem to have a better upside in that he's bigger. Question remains, can the dude cover? Will we ever get to find out?

p.s. You gotta love that Quin want's to slide in so he can hit somebody!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ya know Doc Jean, I agree with you. After thinking about it, I think the only reason Kubiak did not mention Reeves and Molden is because he pretty much knows what he has with those two, and is more interested in answering questions about the others here in OTA's and mini-camp.
I think it is that and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's not a direct quote from Kubiak and is probably just an omission by Kuharsky.
this. Kubiak knows reporters primarily want to know about young guys and their improvement.
Old 06-09-2010   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin oughtta be the FS. I'm gonna call shenanigans if I see Quin flip-flopping about the secondary as a CB to emphasize his tackling.

Of course Reeves has a spot. #3. McCain as the #4 gives 4 guys who are solid cover guys.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
no surprise here as advertised, should have seen it coming but very well covered up underclassman from an outstanding defensive national championship team.
#2 Glover Quinn
starting cb who bumps down into nickle packages, playmaker, excellent cover & tackling skills but does lack long speed so his effectiveness increases close to scrimmage & in underneath routes.
#3 Brice McCain
first off bench to cb in when they go to extra db sets. has the best long speed of bunch can stick to man like glue downfield but needs support in size mis-matches. also has good eye & play recognition to captialize on turnovers.
#4 Jacque Reeves
4th cb off bench because of expereince, size & speed. his ball skills must improve to move up this list, but still offers quality depth & can fill in case of injury, in the last year of his contract (I think) so he has something to prove to get that next deal done.
#5 Sherrick McManis
rookie 5th rd. draft pick I know but has the package the Texans covet @ CB to pair with fellow rookie Jackson (in due time). has very fluid hips & change of direction skills, not afraid to put his hat on people & natural instinct for position.
#6 Antwaun Molden
still untested 08 3rd rd. draft pick who has been hampered by injurys. must remain healthy to make the 53 man roster, but if he does I give him an edge to make this team based off his ability to play CB or Safety plus special teams gunner.
#7 Fred Bennett
odd man out. similar size to Molden, similar tools just has not been consistant enough to keep him over recent additions which have upgraded secondary. biggest problem for him has been his lack of competitiveness both on & off the field, remains a question mark.

so to answer the question "Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?" it's yes to both (right now) for me going into training camp this summer.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read