Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2010   #1
buckaroo_banzai
Rookie

Rep Power: 157 buckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down The 2010 Sporting News Magazine Stinks!!!!

hey all,
Today I was reading my haul of new football magazines previewing the 2010 season....
things were looking good, as most of the mags had the Texans making the playoffs. I felt like we were finally getting some love.........then I read the Sporting News 2010 magazine and none other than John McClain had done the Texans write-up.
The sporting news magazine rates teams overall on a 1 to 100 scale, with the best teams around 95 or so. Try to imagine my surprise when they rate Indy at 91 (OK, that's maybe about right), but the second place team was the titans at 89....."huh?!?!?" Then just to rub salt on the wound, they have our beloved Texans at 79 WTF!?!?! A 79...REALLY!?!?! that far behind everyone else? The jags were rated at 72.
So I'm supposed to believe that we are closer to the jags then the colts? Am I missing something?
at least the write-up about us from McClain was fair, but man those people at the sporting news must really hate us or something because it was BY FAR the most negative review of the team so far. (I guess more upcoming mags could treat us worse, though I doubt it)
Even the chiefs (85) and cardinals (81) were rated higher....."SHEESH"
buckaroo_banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #2
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 175 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The 2010 Sporting News Magazine Stinks!!!!

Sounds about right considering how horrible we've been in our division.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

This is a "put up or shut up" league and the Texans haven't put up yet. Don't expect everyone to jump on a bandwagon of a team who's never made playoffs.
Old 06-03-2010   #4
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Those are almost the exact same numbers Madden gave last year (we were 78 or 79 I think) and I imagine we might be 80 or 81 this year because of Cushing and Pollard, but not much higher.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo_banzai View Post
hey all,
Today I was reading my haul of new football magazines previewing the 2010 season....
things were looking good, as most of the mags had the Texans making the playoffs. I felt like we were finally getting some love...
Where have you been the last couple of offseasons?

The Texans have gotten nothing but love...only to make fools out of the people who went out of their way to rave about the "new up and coming team in the NFL".

Forget love and respect (which is meaningless) I want wins and results ON THE FIELD....and only the Texans can control and supply that. Frankly other than being very entertaining with a high octane offense, the Texans haven't offered up any real substance for outsiders to go crazy about. All they've done is disappoint and lay eggs when they should've been "taking the next step/turning the corner" (yack)
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This is a "put up or shut up" league and the Texans haven't put up yet. Don't expect everyone to jump on a bandwagon of a team who's never made playoffs.
Yep

But some cant come to grips with the thought of the NFL being a put up or shut up league. They're getting better but this just in......... so are the rest of the teams in the NFL.

It really comes down to injuries and if Kubes can improve. Right now it doesn't look promising. (Cushings suspension and my lack of faith in Kubes)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just repost the post I made a couple of months ago when someone trashed Tim Cowlishaw when he had a negative opinion of us because it's also relevent for this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Cowlishaw has been a Texans supporter on that show more than a couple of times (as well as the Rockets) and usually when he sticks his neck out for us and gives us some props, we do something stupid like find a way to lose a game that we should win or fail to "take the next step/turn the corner" (yack ) and we make him look like a fool

I have no problem with what he said, if you put all the "Texans' fandom" aside and think with out bias, everything he said was sadly the truth.

And it's not just him that feels this way either. If Houston won a couple of those games or turned a few of those corners that we keep hearing about (again yack), then that game wouldn't have a noon start time, it would probably be a nationally broadcasted game. Houston has no one to blame except themselves for the way outsiders view this team. They are annually offseason favorites that become a regular season letdown. I think people in the media are getting to the point where it's put up or shut up...and I can't really blame them, because I'm getting that way with this team.

NO MORE TALKING, NO MORE EXCUSES......START DOING, START PRODUCING!

They do that and there will be more respect bestowed on this team than we can shake a stick at. Respect is earned...it's not given and if this team can make some big noise this year with this schedule they'll be given PLENTY of respect by everyone in the national media.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...aw#post1412346
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2010   #8
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

That sounds about right to me. They haven't done anything significant yet, so they need to do that to be rated higher.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Sounds about right considering how horrible we've been in our division.
Despite being 1-5 against the division the Texans were the 2nd place team in the division and thats not bad considering the 1st place team arguably could have gone 16-0.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

sadly first four years we kept making circles with those 4 left turns with C & C factory

Kubiak is on his 4th so well time will tell if it is 4 right turns
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

our head coach sucks and we did nothing in the offseason to really improve

why is anyone surprised that someone who isn't biased or a homer thinks we are average

we are a .500 team under Kubiak and we haven't met a big game we couldn't lose

6-10 here we come, Thanks for re-signing Kubiak, Bob.
Old 06-03-2010   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

why is anyone surprised that someone who isn't biased or a homer thinks we are average

The team went 9-7 last year and was 5-6 plays away from being 12-4. The team is one of the youngest in the league and has someone close to or entering the prime of their careers at nearly every starting position. Your continued bitter pouting over daddy McNair not satisfying your spoiled brat needs for a new head coach or a high dollar ESPN-recognizable free agent is obnoxious and reflects poorly on Texans fans and this board. Get over it and please re-think posting next time you have something dumb like this to say because your embarrassing yourself.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

The jags are like dallas and redskin games

we can be 14-0 and the jags 2-12 and they can still find a way to always bet us

Has long has we are in this divison the Jags will play us like its WW3 or something same with the titans
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
The jags are like dallas and redskin games

we can be 14-0 and the jags 2-12 and they can still find a way to always bet us

Has long has we are in this divison the Jags will play us like its WW3 or something same with the titans
Actually, we have a better record against the Jags than either the Colts or Titans...look it up

Last edited by JB; 06-04-2010 at 06:19 AM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

But some cant come to grips with the thought of the NFL being a put up or shut up league. They're getting better but this just in......... so are the rest of the teams in the NFL.

It really comes down to injuries and if Kubes can improve. Right now it doesn't look promising. (Cushings suspension and my lack of faith in Kubes)
But, But...they were the best 9-7 team to not make the playoffs! In fact they could go down as the BEST 9-7 team ever.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

blah blah blqh blah

blah blah blah blah

next article.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the first OFFICIAL "Why don't we get any media love?" thread of the season?

They always crop up about June each year.

Every such thread should have plastic explosives attached to it and detonated from a safe distance...within 2 minutes of it being created :kaboom:
Old 06-04-2010   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
But, But...they were the best 9-7 team to not make the playoffs! In fact they could go down as the BEST 9-7 team ever.
Gosh darn it, Timmy! If you don't calm down right now, I'm going to send you AND your sister to summer journalism camp with Justice and McClain.

I'll have no more of that sort of temper tantrum from you, young man.

Now go set the table and grab your grandmother's heel file. She wants to get in a good heel shaving before dinner.

And wipe that frown off your face, or I'll make you sweep up the dust and shavings once she's finished.

Old 06-04-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

YUP!!! Thanks Bob! I really appreciate having Kubes around for another season, too.

Geeeez, just when I thought SH had given it a rest, he chimes in with his typical, redundant and ridiculous rant..

That said, I could care less what any publication's pre-season predictions are. That's why they actually play the games.
Old 06-04-2010   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
This

For years the cards were the Texans yet they kept disappointing. Then they made the SB and now they have some cred. You may have talent and think playoffs, but until you do you will be considered amn underacheiver.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read