Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2005   #21
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Edge is one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL, the play action pass will not be as effective with another RB in their backfield, he is one of the reasons the Colts passing game opens up so well.
If all Manning's passes were PA plays then sure there would be a decline. The fact is that Edge was just one reason why the Colts passing game was so effective the past few years. The two biggest factors in the Colts passing game are Manning and OC Tom Moore. Manning is great at reading defenses (with the obvious exception of NE), and Tom Moore gives him free range with the offense. Fact of the matter is he gets the ball to the receiver when he wants to. He's got a great relationship with his receivers, and Harrison, Wayne, and Stokely are still there so he's set. PA doesn't become less effective when a team can still run the ball. In 2001 when Edge went down due to an injury did their rushing game collapse? No. Rhodes went on to rush for 1100 yards the rest of that season, and the PA still worked. Losing Edge hurts them, but it's not going to be as big of a hit to their passing attack as some might think.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #22
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
JMO but the reason Indy's play action is so good is primarily because Peyton has one of the best fakes in the league. He gets his whole arm and body extended into it. Watch Carr by comparison some time. There isn't near as much salesmanship there.
He's definately among the best in the league. I think Pennington has the best fake in the league. There are plays where it looks like he's sitting back there four or five seconds before the defense first realizes that the RB they just tackled doesn't have the ball.

I think Carr's gotten better than his first year in the league, but it would be nice to see him have a great fake like Manning or Pennington.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
...Peyton has one of the best fakes in the league. He gets his whole arm and body extended into it...
True. Manning has the best fake since Boomer Esiason. Maybe better.

Of course Peyton can turn his back to the D-line for an extended period of time without fear of decapitation. David doesn't have that luxury, as of yet.
Old 03-11-2005   #24
GotMojo80
Rookie

were AJ and Edge every teamates at "The U" as they call it.
GotMojo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #25
Anishin
Rookie

I realize he had a rough start last tear, but I would hate to lose Davis. I think he's a great fit for us. Even if we get someone as great as James, I really don't want to see DD go, or even not be starting. Probably just the fanboy in me.
Anishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #26
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

well all this talk is nice and dandy except the fact that Edge will prolly cost way more than we are willing to pay him, and i think the coaches think we have a game breaker in davis, and i think the same thing !!! And what would be the point of getting Edge , yalld all be saying he's a bust after the first few games, because our o-line gives him absolutley NO help at all !!! It'd be the same thing yall are saying about Davis but yalld be saying it about Edge !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #27
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And what would be the point of getting Edge , yalld all be saying he's a bust after the first few games, because our o-line gives him absolutley NO help at all !!! It'd be the same thing yall are saying about Davis but yalld be saying it about Edge !
Do you remember how well our O line run blocked the last couple of games last season?
Old 03-11-2005   #28
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

and do you remember how well D.D ran the ball the last couple games of the season ?
Old 03-11-2005   #29
M@DD Mike
Rookie

I would much rather keep DD and focus our attention and money on the O-line or the Defense.
Old 03-11-2005   #30
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and do you remember how well D.D ran the ball the last couple games of the season ?
That is only because of how well the O line started doing in the end of the season, kind of like Denver, their RB's are products of the system...you take Denver's RB's and put them in different offensive schemes or blocking schemes and see how they do, just look at Clinton Portis, his first two seasons he averaged 5.5 yards per carry with the Broncos and had 15 TD's his first season and 14 his second season with the Broncos, his first year with the Redskins he averaged 3.8 yards per carry and only had 5 rushing TD's, and last season with the Redskins he started 15 games, his first season with the Broncos he started 12 games and his second season with the Broncos he started 13 games, you do the math...
Old 03-11-2005   #31
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That is only because of how well the O line started doing in the end of the season, kind of like Denver, their RB's are products of the system...you take Denver's RB's and put them in different offensive schemes or blocking schemes and see how they do, just look at Clinton Portis, his first two seasons he averaged 5.5 yards per carry with the Broncos and had 15 TD's his first season and 14 his second season with the Broncos, his first year with the Redskins he averaged 3.8 yards per carry and only had 5 rushing TD's, and last season with the Redskins he started 15 games, his first season with the Broncos he started 12 games and his second season with the Broncos he started 13 games, you do the math...

HAHA i agree with you, so why are we arguing, i just think D.D can be just as productive as Edge can if our o-line performes the way they should. So i see no reason in spending big bucks getting Edge, when Davis can get the job done. Like ya said D.D ran good when the o-line did good.
Old 03-11-2005   #32
texan279
Hall of Fame

I thought you meant Davis' yards in the last part of the season were all him, not the O line, my bad...
Old 03-11-2005   #33
M@DD Mike
Rookie

Quote:
That is only because of how well the O line started doing in the end of the season, kind of like Denver, their RB's are products of the system...
Exactly. The o-line will have a year of this blocking scheme under thier belt and DD was feeling it towards the end there. I wouldn't get rid of him he's a double threat and was only a couple hundred rushing yards away from a pro bowl caliber season last year.
Old 03-11-2005   #34
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I thought you meant Davis' yards in the last part of the season were all him, not the O line, my bad...

haha its cool. (A back is only as good as his line), and that goes for all the great running backs out there !!
Old 03-11-2005   #35
NeViKaN
Rookie

Well I like the Edge and I like DD to. At lunch we talked about taking the Edge but came up with another trade. What do ya'll think? Sharper, Forman and pick for Dwight Freeney. Hell I'd give up two.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #36
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeViKaN
Well I like the Edge and I like DD to. At lunch we talked about taking the Edge but came up with another trade. What do ya'll think? Sharper, Forman and pick for Dwight Freeney. Hell I'd give up two.

well i'd like it if, we hadnt signed walker and smith to contracts. And i dont think we signed them guys to be our back-ups. Plus freeney is a beast and would problably cost a good bit of money to bring here ! More than i figure we are willing to pay him !
Old 03-11-2005   #37
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well i'd like it if, we hadnt signed walker and smith to contracts. And i dont think we signed them guys to be our back-ups. Plus freeney is a beast and would problably cost a good bit of money to bring here ! More than i figure we are willing to pay him !

He wouldn’t play their position. He is an end in the 4-3, that is like Babins or Peeks pos. in the 3-4. An end in the 3-4 is pretty much just a DT. And as far as the money, he would not equal Sharper and Forman. We still come out ahead. Oh well.. does not matter it won't happen, it was just a thought.
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #38
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah my bad i forgot they ran the 4-3, but still i'd like to see babin and peek play the outside positions with wong moving back inside along with Greenwood OR sharper if he stays !
Old 03-11-2005   #39
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

they want less than a first rounder, so y not a 2nd rounder ?
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #40
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

i say we trade domanik davis and jamie sharper and a 4th round pick for edgerin james and a 2nd round pick
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read