Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2005   #1
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Texans looking at a Center....

Texans | Interested in Lehr - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:18:19 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Houston Texans are interested in free agent OG Matt Lehr (Rams) at the center position.

Hmmmm....I'm not gonna look in to this much, cuz Lehr isn't a starter. Prolly just as a backup C.
Old 03-04-2005   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmmm....I'm not gonna look in to this much, cuz Lehr isn't a starter. Prolly just as a backup C.
Still would be better than McKinney.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Still would be better than McKinney.

I agree!! McKinney should move back to guard and let someone else become center!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

McKinney sucks more than a Hoover...that said, I gotta know more about Lehr.
Old 03-04-2005   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

So Todd Washington who got a contract extension last year I guess would fall out of the equation.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

This doesn't make sense, you could get a center in the draft with one of our 3 round picks that is better than McKinney, why send that money on a free agent who can't even start for the team he was on.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm thinking the same thing as V Man. Near as I can tell he was with the Cowboys for a few years, and then it looks like he was brought in last year to help out a very weak Rams OLine. If you recall they were so desperate that they were trying to lure some guys out of retirment. I assume if we did sign him he'd be nothing more than a backup at C and G. I think we could find a good backup C or G in the draft, but perhaps Lehr is cheap and willing to come in just to compete and will be nothing more than training camp fodder.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all, you *can* get a player at any position in the draft. Rookie Centers and the NFL are not something you want to see when you are fighting for the playoffs. Washington is a scrub and has lead feet. He is a miserable pass protector.

The bottom line: Center is a weakness on the team. We are looking at one as far as we know. You put together the very best team you can possibly put together before the draft. THEN when the draft rolls around you are not panicing and picking for pure need and reaching.

Some of you guys will complain about anything (not aimed at anyone, but we are turning into one heck of a negative fan base lately).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

How many rookie centers would be better than McKinney . The position is a little bit more complex than snapping the ball. In the 3rd or 4th rd if a center you like is on the board take him but you can't pencil him in right away .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #10
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover

I know you *can* get any position in the draft. My point is that the Texans could spend their money better ways than going after a player who can't even start for the team he was on. I would rather go with a rookie than sign that particular player.
Old 03-04-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
I know you *can* get any position in the draft. My point is that the Texans could spend their money better ways than going after a player who can't even start for the team he was on. I would rather go with a rookie than sign that particular player.
Perhaps they are looking to upgrade the starter and the reserve? The combo of McKinney/Washinton may be the wost combo in the league.

Old 03-04-2005   #12
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Perhaps they are looking to upgrade the starter and the reserve? The combo of McKinney/Washinton may be the wost combo in the league.
Agreed, but Rasizer (in my opinion, and we all have one) isn't an upgrade.
Old 03-04-2005   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as McKinney is/was last year, Lehr isn't any better. In fact he may be worse. I know the name sounded familar, but couldn't place till somebody mentioned teh team from Arlington. If y'all think we complained about McKinney, just change his name to Lehr and that's how it sounded hear in Dallas before he left. This, if it happens, is more than likely a move to solidify the back-up spot; or to push Washington.

If this deters the front office from drafting a Center in April, I may start to lose faith in them.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-04-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
Agreed, but Rasizer (in my opinion, and we all have one) isn't an upgrade.
That's fine. If you notice, I gave no opinion on the player. I just am trying to express that we should keep an open mind about our moves and the speculated moves.

Old 03-04-2005   #15
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

The guys seems like at least solid backup material for the present. I looked around a little and he was ranked around the 3rd best OG prospect in 2001. Brandt from NFL.com listed him as the center for the under 25 team last June. The guy sounds athletic and he is young. We have to get young athletic guys...he is both. Maybe he is well suited for the Zone blocking system. I think we shouldn't be so quick to draw conclusions. But then again...What else is there to do during the offseason.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #16
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Bold stuff from Casserly, I guess if you can ask your best defensive player to seek a trade, then I guess it's not problem to tell Mckinney to take a seat!

Casserly isn't seeking to trade Dunta Robinson, who by the end of the year was definitely the best defensive player on the Texans.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #17
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
First of all, you *can* get a player at any position in the draft. Rookie Centers and the NFL are not something you want to see when you are fighting for the playoffs. Washington is a scrub and has lead feet. He is a miserable pass protector.

The bottom line: Center is a weakness on the team. We are looking at one as far as we know. You put together the very best team you can possibly put together before the draft. THEN when the draft rolls around you are not panicing and picking for pure need and reaching.

Some of you guys will complain about anything (not aimed at anyone, but we are turning into one heck of a negative fan base lately).
Yes, some guys will complain just about anything, I do understand that we're building a team and that takes some time but some people want a superbowl contender is 3 years, that's impossible. The o-line will be better than last year and the team will be better than last year also, I do believe CC knows what he is doing.
southtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #18
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans talking to Matt Lehr

Texans | Hold Preliminary Talks with Lehr - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:05:39 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Houston Texans have conducted preliminary negotiations with free agent OL Matt Lehr (Rams).

From STLOUISRAMS.com

Pro Highlights:The Cowboys believe they addressed their long-term future at either guard or center when they selected Matt Lehr (pronounced LAIR) with the 137th overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft. Lehr combines good athleticism with excellent technique to dominate his man at the line of scrimmage. His quickness and strength were big reasons Virginia Tech was able to establish Big East rushing records during his junior and senior campaigns. Lehr worked at guard and center during his first professional season to provide the Cowboys with a more versatile reserve lineman. Entering his second season, the Cowboys are looking to move Lehr to the starting center position to replace departed veteran Mark Stepnoski.

College Highlights:As a senior, Lehr earned second-team All-Big East and All-America honors while allowing only half a sack and five quarterback pressures and leading the team with 57 knockdown blocks. His performance throughout the season also earned him selection to play in the Hula Bowl. Lehr started all 12 games as a junior at left guard and surrendered only one sack and just three quarterback pressures to earn second-team All-Big East honors and help take the Hokies to the BCS National Championship game. After seeing practice time at guard and tackle during spring workouts of his sophomore year, Lehr injured his ankle during preseason practice and missed Techs first two games. He saw his first action of the year in the third week and midway through the season he moved into the starting lineup.
Old 03-11-2005   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I want this deal to fall through so we wont "HAVE TO DRAFT" Baas #2.
Im confused. You want the deal to not happen, so we dont have to draft baas?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #20
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Well, at least there will be some one to push McKinney for a change.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read