Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-02-2010   #1
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x
Default Kicker Needed

Quote:
The NFL’s newest team still has not reached the playoffs, but it has made big strides toward playing in January. Kris Brown - the only player who has remained a Texan from the time the franchise was born in 2002 – seemed to be getting better with age. In 2007 and 2008, Brown made 54 of his 62 field goal attempts, numbers that would leave the likes of Adam Vinatieri and Nate Kaeding speechless. Brown even earned First Team All-NFL accolades in 2007 for his on-field accomplishments.

Then 2009 rolled around, and Brown swooned. He missed 11 field goal attempts on the season and sported the worst field goal percentage of any starting kicker in the NFL. For a team that teetered on the brink of a playoff berth, many wondered why the Texans showed such unabashed loyalty toward Brown. Against Indianapolis in a crucial division game, Brown missed a 42-yard attempt to tie the game as time expired. Just one week later against another divisional opponent, Tennessee, Brown had a chance to redeem himself. With the Titans leading by three, 20-17, and one second remaining in the game, Houston brought on its veteran kicker to try to tie the game with a 49-yard attempt. Brown missed that kick, too, and the Texans dropped another important decision. The nightmare didn’t end there, though, as Brown missed 5 of his last 12 field goal tries to end the season.

While Brown is still on the roster for spring OTA’s, the Texans added former Cardinal Neil Rackers to the fold. Rackers solidified himself as one of the more reliable kickers in the league, missing a grand total of one field goal last season with Arizona. However, Rackers only had to attempt 17 kicks last year, thanks to Arizona’s incredibly potent offense. He has proven to be a tad inconsistent when teams have had to rely on him for a high amount of attempts in a given year. In a tough division like the AFC South, the Texans will need points aplenty to hang with the Colts and Titans. Hopefully they can sort out their kicking situation without undergoing the same turmoil they faced in a 9-7 season last year.
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/05...42&feedID=4519
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kicker Needed

If its not one thing, its another with this team. Its like a seasaw.

If we get a good kicker for next year I hate to see what happens to the team. AJ probably gets kidnapped by Russians...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #3
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't wait for Rackers to take over Kris Brown's position. I hate being snakebit by our crappy kicker in crucial games.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #4
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching some Arena Football the other night and the kickers were off the hook. Maybe we should look at some of the kickers from the AFL.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I was watching some Arena Football the other night and the kickers were off the hook. Maybe we should look at some of the kickers from the AFL.
Like Rob Bironas!!! I heard that guy was awesome!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm stickin with Kris Brown until the Texans officially boot him! He had a bad year, SO WHAT! Yes, it cost us bigtime, but, all kickers have come up short at important times. As our only original Texan left, he deserves another chance to prove his worth. I believe he will have an outstanding year in 2010!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I'm stickin with Kris Brown until the Texans officially boot him! He had a bad year, SO WHAT! Yes, it cost us bigtime, but, all kickers have come up short at important times. As our only original Texan left, he deserves another chance to prove his worth. I believe he will have an outstanding year in 2010!!
I hope you are right. He is an outstanding guy and it would be nice if he could finish his career here. I just hope it is not too painful.
Old 06-03-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I hope you are right. He is an outstanding guy and it would be nice if he could finish his career here. I just hope it is not too painful.
Kris will be fine, this year. *I hope*. He hits a game winning 50+ yarder in a big game this year. *I hope*..... BTW, It's not as though Rackers hasn't had his hairball moments, either..
Old 06-03-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Kris will be fine, this year. *I hope*. He hits a game winning 50+ yarder in a big game this year. *I hope*..... BTW, It's not as though Rackers hasn't had his hairball moments, either..
Thought I would do a comparison...

K. Brown-
**** 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ TOT PCT AVG LNG XPM XPA PTS

Career 6/7 72/76 82/101 74/109 18/33 252/326 77.3 35.4 57 347 354 1103

Neil Rackers-
Career 4/4 65/67 62/78 55/74 19/39 205/262 78.2 35.1 55 290 295 905
Postseason -0/0 1/1 0/1 0/0 0/1 1/3 33.3 23.0 23 8 8 11

Seems to me they are pretty comparable.
Old 06-03-2010   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Thought I would do a comparison...

K. Brown-

Career 6/7 72/76 82/101 74/109 18/33 252/326 77.3 35.4 57 347 354 1103

Neil Rackers-
Career 4/4 65/67 62/78 55/74 19/39 205/262 78.2 35.1 55 290 295 905
Postseason -0/0 1/1 0/1 0/0 0/1 1/3 33.3 23.0 23 8 8 11

Seems to me they are pretty comparable.
Kinda my point. Go with the homeboy (albeit near Dullass), rather than the guy from Misery...
Old 06-03-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both of them have been known to choke in the clutch.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Both of them have been known to choke in the clutch.
Well, I'd rather have one of my own over someone from Mizzery - either way FAIL!

Either way, the TEXANS *GO TEXANS!* Just need to win. Conversations about kickers should be irrelevant..
Old 06-04-2010   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I'd rather have one of my own over someone from Mizzery - either way FAIL!

Either way, the TEXANS *GO TEXANS!* Just need to win. Conversations about kickers should be irrelevant..
They SHOULD be irrelevant.... but they aren't.

Not saying Brown or Rackers is the best ever...but actually giving Brown competition this year is uncharted waters with this staff.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
They SHOULD be irrelevant.... but they aren't.

Not saying Brown or Rackers is the best ever...but actually giving Brown competition this year is uncharted waters with this staff.
Yep!! A little competition never hurt anyone, in any profession.

All that matters is the score at the end of the game, and kickers put up a hell of a lot of those points! They will never be irrelevant! I just wonder how many games we lost because of FGs, whether it be last minute or just some kicker racking up points! (Briones)
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Accountability is too important for us to give K Brown another chance. He basicallyc ost us a shot at playoffs last year, and should have been let go in the offseason.

Im tired of the soft Texans mentality that we'll keep giving you more and more chances, and only once you have completely and royally shut it down will we cut you. Kris is an original Texan, and that mentality won't go away until he's been shown the door.

I like the guy personally, but felt the same way about Carr. No ill will and I wish him luck, but hopefully somewhere else
Old 06-11-2010   #16
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If its not one thing, its another with this team. Its like a seasaw.

If we get a good kicker for next year I hate to see what happens to the team. AJ probably gets kidnapped by Russians...
Boy that would be a big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Boy that would be a big mistake.
NO kidding! Russia would never be the same... they never seen a Beast like AJ before...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read