Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2010   #1
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected
Default what keeps schaub from being an elite qb?

What do you guys think schaub has to do to be considered an elite QB? He did great 09 season, and has steadily improved. If he stays healthy I consider him to be top 5. He has good accuracy short, medium, and deep. Has a great play action even though the run game is almost non-existent. He obviously has to win in the division but I don't blame him as much as I do our play calling.
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what keeps schaub from being an elite qb?

Cut down the INT's while getting better at passing for TD's in the red zone.
Old 05-29-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is an elite QB already
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's the stigma of being soft, or injury prone. What was it his first two seasons, he only played in 11 each of those seasons.

That said, if 2009 was indicative of the type of QB he can be, than he should hit near elite status - SOON!
Old 05-29-2010   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning games despite your teams shortcomings is what elevates players from above average to elite. It is not totally fair to Qbs, but until people think that Schuab takes a good offense makes it truly great he is going to be at the levels below the top handful of guys no matter what the stats say.
Old 05-29-2010   #6
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think he is an elite QB already
I think that is basically right, except he needs to show he is not a one-year wonder. If he performs next year on par with how he performed last year, I believe he will then be recognized in most circles as an elite QB.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #7
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

I think he is quite likely already "elite".....assuming he's healthy. Otherwise the things that hold pundits (and a number of people on this board) back from this opinion could include field goal kickers who missed a number of key kicks, running backs fumbling at key moments, and under-performing d-backs with a penchant for writing on their shoes. If those things go a bit differently, we'd "suddenly" have an "elite" QB, good coach, and we'd have likely been in the playoffs. Would have, could have. I don't have an issue with our QB. Can't name many that I'd rather have, so I guess that must mean that he's elite in some sense.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2010   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Get this team to the playoffs and we'll talk elite, but until then, he's just at the very top of the second tier of quarterbacks.
Old 05-29-2010   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

If he has a similar season to last season, he's elite in my book.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #10
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforces View Post
What do you guys think schaub has to do to be considered an elite QB?
Win. He's got the tools and the horses to put up big numbers, which he's proven he can do. The perception of the elite QB comes from two main attributes: they throw a lot of touchdowns, and they win big games - consistently. Schaub can do the first, he has yet to really do the ladder on any stage of genuine significance. The Texans need a year or two of solid playoff contender type years (10-11+ wins) and he'll be recognized as an elite QB.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

top ten in madden means he's already an elite. derp.
Old 05-29-2010   #12
Grforces
Veteran

Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
top ten in madden means he's already an elite. derp.
LMAO! He dint do that bad with interceptions. He threw 15 and had 29 TD's. Its not great but its also not bad. It wasent a secret that we were gonna throw. Plus our O line sux.
Old 05-29-2010   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Only two things - playoff wins and consistency. Those two things should go together.
Old 05-29-2010   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Already ther stat-wise for me. National recognition, being down in the 4th, taking charge and pulling home the win on his arm/leadership.
Old 05-29-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The biggest thing, I think, is that he has to continue to do what he is doing. Like several have already said, he has to prove he wasn't a one-hit-wonder.

winning a few important games would help too.
Old 05-29-2010   #16
Grforces
Veteran

Your right on the stats, they are all there. I think what makes manning the best qb in the league and top 3 to ever play the game is his come backs. Something that schaub obviously lacks, but then again, Manning calls almost all the plays.
Old 05-29-2010   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
I think he is quite likely already "elite".....assuming he's healthy. Otherwise the things that hold pundits (and a number of people on this board) back from this opinion could include field goal kickers who missed a number of key kicks, running backs fumbling at key moments, and under-performing d-backs with a penchant for writing on their shoes. If those things go a bit differently, we'd "suddenly" have an "elite" QB, good coach, and we'd have likely been in the playoffs. Would have, could have. I don't have an issue with our QB. Can't name many that I'd rather have, so I guess that must mean that he's elite in some sense.

This!! He's only as good as the players around him. He has the stats. He just had key players around him last year who screwed up, not his fault!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #18
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

If you don't consider Schaub elite, your smoking something. Yes he has room to improve, but he doesn't need to improve much to be considered a Top 5 QB. Like what has already been stated, he needs to help his team win those close games. A few come-from-behind victories would be nice as well .
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe he already is, but to be recognized I think he has to date a model or movie-star or something.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs competition and playoff victories.
Joe Montana, a rather slightly better-than-ordinary QB otherwise, parlayed
playoff victories and ultimately SB victories into ratings as one of the greatest NFL QBs in history.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read