Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why Is Kasey Studdard still in the Texans' long-term plans @ LG ?

But Kubiak would like the interior offensive line to be better, too. Only tackles Duane Brown and Eric Winston seem to be definite starters. Kubiak is hoping for starters to emerge at the other three spots.

“Kasey’s biggest issues have probably been more a little bit mental than ever about his effort and what
he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
all of the issues he deals with on a regular basis,” Kubiak said. “He’s improved in that area.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/7026018.html
&&
Everybody appreciates Studdards hustle and toughness, but he's always been anything but a fit for the Texans ZB system which calls for a quick-footed, athletic type like Wade Smith, signed by the Texans for some real good money this past offseason, and their 6th round Draft pick this year, CSUs Shelly Smith. And Studdard is not considered an athletic type.
Like I say, don't mean to put Studdard down here, but he's just not a fit and especially at LG which is generally considered a more challenging position that RG in terms of pure athleticism.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why Is Kasey Studdard still in the Texans' long-term plans @ LG ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
But Kubiak would like the interior offensive line to be better, too. Only tackles Duane Brown and Eric Winston seem to be definite starters. Kubiak is hoping for starters to emerge at the other three spots.

“Kasey’s biggest issues have probably been more a little bit mental than ever about his effort and what
he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
all of the issues he deals with on a regular basis,” Kubiak said. “He’s improved in that area.”
&&
Everybody appreciates Studdards hustle and toughness, but he's always been anything but a fit for the Texans ZB system which calls for a quick-footed, athletic type like Wade Smith, signed by the Texans for some real good money this past offseason, and their 6th round Draft pick this year, CSUs Shelly Smith. And Studdard is not considered an athletic type.
Like I say, don't mean to put Studdard down here, but he's just not a fit and especially at LG which is generally considered a more challenging position that RG in terms of pure athleticism.

I think(at least i hope) that what he is doing his propping up Studdard's ego. He saw the Texans sign a OG/OC and draft another one. So its importnt to keep him thinking positive. The guy was last year's starter by default and he may need to come in again this year due to injury. I hope he goes into the competition doing his best, improves his game, and is beaten out by another player.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
&&
I agree in that it seems like Studdard is better suited for a look at RG instead of left. What's going to be interesting is where Smith ends up starting at or seeing the most reps.

I heard earlier he was getting a decent amount of reps at center.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Because he can pass protect and is a demon in the open field on his one on one blocks in the second level ? We may not be able to push for a third and short. However what is beyond doubt after 2009 ,is we have the personnel to run screens.
Old 05-28-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never thought that Studdard is the answer but Gary is sold on his "fighter" mentality. He has an NFL check for 3 years and that says something.
Old 05-31-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I see some "good" theories... but this isn't the first time we've wondered what is so&so doing out there, or "surely we've got somebody better" out there...

I'm thinking maybe we need to forget what we think we know about this game, and what a ZBS really needs, and who fits what... listen to what Gary says, go back, watch, and see if we can figure out he means.
Old 05-31-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I also wonder about the differences between Gibbs & Dennison? surely there are going to be some tweeks here & there one of which could very well be Studdard. bottom line is he provides much needed depth at low cost, toughness & seems like he was born into the Denver/Kubiak system.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2010   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I see some "good" theories... but this isn't the first time we've wondered what is so&so doing out there, or "surely we've got somebody better" out there...

I'm thinking maybe we need to forget what we think we know about this game, and what a ZBS really needs, and who fits what... listen to what Gary says, go back, watch, and see if we can figure out he means.
Frankly I have a hard time undertanding what Gary Kubiak is trying to say sometimes ? I'm hoping the new OC might be more articulate in explaining the system he's going to be running and what type of player it calls for,
something beyond, "he's a good kid who hustles, trys hard on every play".
Old 05-31-2010   #9
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard is still around because Kubiak and Kasey's dad are good friends. Kubes is LOYAL to a fault to his pals.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Studdard is still around because Kubiak and Kasey's dad are good friends. Kubes is LOYAL to a fault to his pals.
So you see absolutely nothing positive in his game?
Old 05-31-2010   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you see absolutely nothing positive in his game?
"he's a good kid who hustles, trys hard on every play".
Old 05-31-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Because he can pass protect and is a demon in the open field on his one on one blocks in the second level ? We may not be able to push for a third and short. However what is beyond doubt after 2009 ,is we have the personnel to run screens.
I tend to believe there is some truth here. I don't know if I would characterize him as "a demon" but he is more than adequate. I can understand an upgrade, but to flat out not see why the coach puts him out there... or to believe nepotism is the only reason... I just don't get.
Old 05-31-2010   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

um....

Studdard can pass protect at an adequate level. That's why he's here. To look at anything in his run blocking and say something positive is a lie. He's bad in that area, no two ways about it. However, in a pinch (like...oh...say....last year after Pitts' Ironman streak ended) he can provide the one thing an OL for this team MUST be able to do and that's pass protect a dynamite QB. He's depth in the NFL due to lack of size, strength and apparently smarts. Nobody questions the hustle, just everything else.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
um....

Studdard can pass protect at an adequate level. That's why he's here. To look at anything in his run blocking and say something positive is a lie. He's bad in that area, no two ways about it. However, in a pinch (like...oh...say....last year after Pitts' Ironman streak ended) he can provide the one thing an OL for this team MUST be able to do and that's pass protect a dynamite QB. He's depth in the NFL due to lack of size, strength and apparently smarts. Nobody questions the hustle, just everything else.
granted it was his first game but he nearly got matt killed in the jets game. i like studdard hustle like everyone else but will be concerned if hes still starting on opening day (unless its injury related)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
granted it was his first game but he nearly got matt killed in the jets game. i like studdard hustle like everyone else but will be concerned if hes still starting on opening day (unless its injury related)
I think you are going to be concerned then.
Old 05-31-2010   #16
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77581 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think you are going to be concerned then.
I'm not so quick to be concerned. GK has consistently said the best five would start . It's really early and he's said every player is "competing". They've got a lot of bodies to look at. The little I can gather from the present OTAs they're working different guys at different spots. I have no doubt when the first whistle blows the best five will be there and Studdard will be a backup with a years experience.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 05-31-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: sp
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm not so quick to be concerned. GK has consistently said the best five would start . It's really early and he's said every player is "competing". They've got a lot of bodies to look at. The little I can gather from the present OTAs they're working different guys at different spots. I have no doubt when the first whistle blows the best five will be there and Studdard will be a backup with a years experience.
I really think Kubiak is going to place an extremely high value on Kasey's starting experience from last year. Really the only possible replacements are people who weren't on the team last year.
Old 06-01-2010   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I really think Kubiak is going to place an extremely high value on Kasey's starting experience from last year. Really the only possible replacements are people who weren't on the team last year.
Wade Smith, Brisiel, Caldwell all have the same or more experience than Studdard. They also have definitely MORE in the category of skills. Geez, even Myers is better than Studdard. A guy who played because of injury who is being given a fair shake because he ended the season as the starter is probably not gonna fend off 4 other guys for 3 spots. Especially not if the drafted Smith impresses.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Studdard didn't play the Jets game, Pitts did. Studdard started after Pitts went down in week 2.
Old 06-01-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard is nasty. He brings a relentless intensity to the game. He's a vet and he's been in the system for a good amount of time now. He may not be the most athletically inclined, but he was a big part of an offense that put up some good passing yards last season.

Minus the fumbles, Moats as well as Foster ran pretty damn good behind the O-line. Brown couldn't cut it and Slaton wasn't himself. Lets get a back in the game that can get something done, and I think he will be a big part in an offense that puts up some good running numbers.

Studdard is not a bad player, IMO of course. He should know the system pretty well, He has game action experience, He's tough, nasty, fights Bernard Pollard in practice...I'll roll with that...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read