Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Jacoby Jones... Not a Texan!!!??

That just wouldn't be right... would it???

Quote:
Considering the money that's tied up in Johnson and Walter, I doubt the Texans will be willing to compete with free agent suitors if Jones is unrestricted next year. Jones will have earned the right to pursue the biggest contract he can get, and the Texans made their choice with Walter.
Old 05-28-2010   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones... Not a Texan!!!??

I'd like to see JJ stay a Texan, but these days in the NFL (and pro sports in general), never count on a player to stay anywhere forever.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This was one reason why I thought it would be a good idea to draft a WR in this draft. I didn't think I our depth at WR would hold for so long. We drafted Dorin Dickerson so that was good but I would've loved to see Jordan Shipley over here also.

Hopefully Jacoby makes it happen for us. There's still a side of me that blames our second loss to Jville on him because he didn't know how to make it on time to the team flight. I think this year we will see a more mature Jacoby and he will be the reason a guy like Andre Davis will have to leave.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #4
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

noooooo!
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #5
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
This was one reason why I thought it would be a good idea to draft a WR in this draft. I didn't think I our depth at WR would hold for so long. We drafted Dorin Dickerson so that was good but I would've loved to see Jordan Shipley over here also.

Hopefully Jacoby makes it happen for us. There's still a side of me that blames our second loss to Jville on him because he didn't know how to make it on time to the team flight. I think this year we will see a more mature Jacoby and he will be the reason a guy like Andre Davis will have to leave.
I think Martinez is the odd man out this year. He barely made the team last year, I think it came down to him and another at the end. They may put Dickson on PS for this year and have your WRs

AJ
Walter
Jones
Davis
Anderson
Holiday (Special Teams)

but guess we shall see at the end of TC

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

I thought he was suspended for a game for being late or missing a team meeting?

KW got a 5 year that totals 21 million with 8 of it guaranteed. All things considered that's a pretty cap friendly deal.

For Jones to get a big time contract elsewhere he's going to have to make plays from at best, the 3rd WR slot. While he made big plays last year, he's still inconsistent and will have to prove that he can make big plays on a consistent basis before he can command big money.

I think we'll be able to afford his next contract.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I thought he was suspended for a game for being late or missing a team meeting?

KW got a 5 year that totals 21 million with 8 of it guaranteed. All things considered that's a pretty cap friendly deal.

For Jones to get a big time contract elsewhere he's going to have to make plays from at best, the 3rd WR slot. While he made big plays last year, he's still inconsistent and will have to prove that he can make big plays on a consistent basis before he can command big money.

I think we'll be able to afford his next contract.
What if JJ decided he has to buckle down because he has a contract coming up ? If he has to leave , it's on him for deciding to buckle down after they resigned Walter .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
They may put Dickson on PS for this year and have your WRs
I think if Dickson goes on the PS, someone snatches him up so he'll be on the regular roster if he shows anything in camp and pre-season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny because this kind of contradicts todays article....of course he has to live up to the work talked about here. I think he is the 2nd biggest threat on the team when he plays to the his potential

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7025998.html

Quote:
Texans coach Gary Kubiak is expecting fourth-year receiver Jacoby Jones to compete with Kevin Walter for a starting job this season.

“Whatever their plans are, I know it'll be big and it'll be fun,” Jones said.

Jones has been one of the Texans' bright spots during the first two weeks of organized team activities. This time last year, he timidly dropped passes and often looked confused during practice. Jones said he would blame his mistakes on teammates. He almost constantly wore a face of frustration, and he said he knew it was hampering his ability.

“I was kind of a mess,” Jones said.

But something changed, and Jones was suddenly a different player. During this year's OTAs, he has not only verified his place as one of the league's best return men but also shown the potential to be a big-play receiver.
Quote:
“He's pushing for more playing time on this football team,” Kubiak said. “If the OTAs are any indication, he's doing a hell of a job.”
Old 05-28-2010   #10
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Funny because this kind of contradicts todays article....of course he has to live up to the work talked about here. I think he is the 2nd biggest threat on the team when he plays to the his potential

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7025998.html
That is my kind of chronicle article. It sounds like it was written in a place that has whiskey rivers and gumdrop mountains.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
That is my kind of chronicle article. It sounds like it was written in a place that has whiskey rivers and gumdrop mountains.
Is that place anywhere near Big Rock Candy Mountain?!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have posted that this should be JJ's year and think he will supplant as #2 WR. The kid is just too good and if he has matured, he could be an AJ type. He will be a Texan as long as he does more than "flash" the skills. I would not be surprised if his stats are mentioned in negotiations with AJ's new uncle er agent. I AM NOT saying he will replace Johnson so don't freak and pm me. WRs and RBs should have a great year.
Old 05-28-2010   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have posted that this should be JJ's year and think he will supplant as #2 WR. The kid is just too good and if he has matured, he could be an AJ type. He will be a Texan as long as he does more than "flash" the skills. I would not be surprised if his stats are mentioned in negotiations with AJ's new uncle er agent. I AM NOT saying he will replace Johnson so don't freak and pm me. WRs and RBs should have a great year.
I agree badboy. Jacoby was an unpolished WR coming out of Lane College. That selection indicated we liked his upside, his ability to immediately contribute on special teams and that we were willing to take the time to develop him. I think that's exactly what we've seen.

I think the key here is that we've witnessed his growth during each season here. It sounds like he has or is about to have his head screwed on straight, getting past placing blame on other people and stepping up and taking care of his business. This could be a HUGE year for him and in turn, I think we'll reward him with a contract extension. He's a BIG, FAST receiver and can be an absolute weapon for our team as we advanced into our playoff years.

The key for him is getting the mental aspect down. If he can become an NFL player, he's going to find huge success. All I've seen from him is a kid out of college enjoying playing pro ball. He can't be doing anything off the field to may get him in trouble (being late, banned substances, etc). If JJ had Cushing's love for competition and the game, he'd be a pro bowl WR this season.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
True. I'm not one on here that is known for optimism or being on the Sunshine side of things but his stats for last year and how he ended the season makes him someone that can have a big impact. I'm just saying that if he can take another step he is a hard guy to cover with AJ out there. His talent level is huge with his head on straight...the x factor...same article quote

Quote:
Last year, Jones improved drastically. After catching three passes for 81 yards and zero touchdowns in 2008, he made 27 receptions for 437 yards and six touchdowns and had a team-best 16.2 yards per catch. Of the eight games in which he made at least two receptions, he scored touchdowns in six of them. Jones gives much of the credit for his improvement to a more mature approach to the game.
Old 05-28-2010   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think the only numbers AJ and his agent need to mention are his own.

I don't think JJ is physical enough to be considered an AJ type player. I do think however, he more favorable compares to Reggie Wayne with an ability to contribute in the return game. I don't think that's all that bad.

I think JJ is going to make it hard to not go 3 WR sets this year if we get decent protection up front. If JJ steps it up and we get some decent production from our running game. Cushing there or not this offense is going to make it tough for opposing teams period.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Have to disagree with AJ on this one. If JJ has a big year I think the Texans will sign him to a deal like Walter's.
Old 05-28-2010   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Have to disagree with AJ on this one. If JJ has a big year I think the Texans will sign him to a deal like Walter's.
I would have to agree with you. If JJ continues to improve in reliability as per last year's trend, he will be going nowhere. But if JJ slips back to old patterns, he will be also be going nowhere......at least not with the Texans.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I don't think the Texans are in a position where they can afford to let big time playmakers walk. If Jacoby proves himself as a bonafide weapon this year, I think that the Texans would pay the man.

If he doesn't play up to the level expected of him then he won't command as much money anyways.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I agree badboy. Jacoby was an unpolished WR coming out of Lane College. That selection indicated we liked his upside, his ability to immediately contribute on special teams and that we were willing to take the time to develop him. I think that's exactly what we've seen.

I think the key here is that we've witnessed his growth during each season here. It sounds like he has or is about to have his head screwed on straight, getting past placing blame on other people and stepping up and taking care of his business. This could be a HUGE year for him and in turn, I think we'll reward him with a contract extension. He's a BIG, FAST receiver and can be an absolute weapon for our team as we advanced into our playoff years.

The key for him is getting the mental aspect down. If he can become an NFL player, he's going to find huge success. All I've seen from him is a kid out of college enjoying playing pro ball. He can't be doing anything off the field to may get him in trouble (being late, banned substances, etc). If JJ had Cushing's love for competition and the game, he'd be a pro bowl WR this season.
He's making third round money. And he likes it here. It's not going to take a whole lot to make the guy happy. End of the first round money with the money up front will Make J.J. a very happy camper. At least it should. Of all the things to worry about, this should be on the bottom of the list for 2011.
Everyone wants to get paid. But if the man offers you more money than your family has seen in several generations in one lump sum, you do the deal and be happy. At least I would.
Old 05-28-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He's making third round money. And he likes it here. It's not going to take a whole lot to make the guy happy. End of the first round money with the money up front will Make J.J. a very happy camper. At least it should. Of all the things to worry about, this should be on the bottom of the list for 2011.
Everyone wants to get paid. But if the man offers you more money than your family has seen in several generations in one lump sum, you do the deal and be happy. At least I would.
Yeah, but your forgetting about that little thing there called an Agent

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read