Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Fred Bennet Headed For The Outhouse?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...=Google+Reader
Old 05-26-2010   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Bennet Headed For The Outhouse?

Gary,

IIRC Soloman said " moved from the doghouse to the outhouse to just plain out."

Seems as I've heard that bandied about here. The look on his face says to me:

"I'm ********d"

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone say Petey? Last year, Bennet had a real problem staying up with receivers. He's the best thing that ever happened to Dunta. When both were out there together, Bennet would be the opposing QB's favorite "target".............his inability to cover or wrap up making Dunta's questionable "performance" stellar by contrast........by default.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If Fred can't improve his game significantly I don't see how this team is going to keep him. He was pretty much a liability on the field in 2008 and lost his job to rookies in 2009.

There was a great post that outlined why he looked good in 2007 and looked like booty for the rest of the time, I'll dig it up real quick.

EDIT: http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/5/...t-happened-to#

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkenney
What happened? Emergency shemes after Dunta's injury...

… masked Bennett’s inability to effectively play man coverage.

I remember being excited the day in 07 when it was announced that we would be starting Fred Bennett opposite Dunta Robinson. I appreciated the the novelty of having 23 at one corner and 32 at the other, and the fact that they were both South Carolina alumni. Granted, it was only Oakland, but the first several defensive series sent my hopes soaring… only to come crashing down with an over-eager, tragic accident at the hands of Earl Cochran.

Then, Bennett shifted over to number one, and looked good doing it. Why?

When Robinson went down, we’d already acknowledge we had no good corners on the team aside from him and Bennett. The prospect of starting raw rookie Bennett next to DeMarcus Faggins was a tough pill to swallow for Richard Smith. To cover for the obvious flaws in both Faggins’ and Bennett’s game, the defense switched to a deep cover-3 zone shell BASE. We essentially played Bennett as a 3rd safety. We hardly engaged in man-coverage, and this masked the fact that Bennett cannot flip his hips. He just can’t. He looked good as what was basically a safety, but this hid the fact from the average fan that he was never asked to play in real coverage as a rookie.

That’s what happened.

I think Bennett would have made a wonderful, cheaper option as a long-term solution at SS. He’s excellent against the run and excels in deep zones, but the coaching staff, for all its premium on versatility, never seemed even remotely interested in trying him there, and that’s why he’s not going to make this team. He can’t play corner—he lacks the footwork and the hips for it, but I think he’ll get picked up somewhere else, and if its by a savvy DC, he’ll be a nice back-up at SS and a respectable spot-starter.
I find that to be some decent reasoning for what was happening.
Old 05-26-2010   #5
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I find that to be some decent reasoning for what was happening.
It all sounds good except for the part about Bennett being good against the run and a respectable spot-starting SS. Not only can Bennett not cover, he can't tackle. I don't see SS in his future. The rest sounded plausible to me.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #6
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Bennett may be better suited for another team defense. Look at Pollard, KC released him and he's been a gold mine for us.

I admit I had high hopes for Bennett after his first season.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I do not see him making the team.
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2010   #8
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't there speculation that, after Smithiak passed on any and all FS's in this years draft, that Kubiak might try a corner there at some point in training camp if Barber and Nolan don't pan out?

From b0ng's article and Fox's added insight I see this as the best position for him. It'll keep him from having to flip his hips and playing behind DeMeco and Cush with Pollard next to him will mask his tackling troubles at least in run support.

Just food for thought.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
Wasn't there speculation that, after Smithiak passed on any and all FS's in this years draft, that Kubiak might try a corner there at some point in training camp if Barber and Nolan don't pan out?

From b0ng's article and Fox's added insight I see this as the best position for him. It'll keep him from having to flip his hips and playing behind DeMeco and Cush with Pollard next to him will mask his tackling troubles at least in run support.

Just food for thought.
Do you really want a player with such questionable wrap up abilities to be that last man on the island.........protecting the island?
Old 05-27-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If the island is surrounded by the Texans Navy I wouldn't feel too worried. We got the battle ships too afford Bennett's bad tackling if it means he is making positive strides in coverage as a FS. He could hold a few more lbs. too. I'll definitely be looking for either him or Molden or McMannis at FS because I think Wilson is running out of time as a bandaid and Barber...well...Busing...geez....um....Nolan? No at least we've seen that Bennett can hold on to a pick when it falls out of the sky into his lap.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
If the island is surrounded by the Texans Navy I wouldn't feel too worried. We got the battle ships too afford Bennett's bad tackling if it means he is making positive strides in coverage as a FS. He could hold a few more lbs. too. I'll definitely be looking for either him or Molden or McMannis at FS because I think Wilson is running out of time as a bandaid and Barber...well...Busing...geez....um....Nolan? No at least we've seen that Bennett can hold on to a pick when it falls out of the sky into his lap.
True, but the powers that be don't like to convert people. Don't know why, they just dont. I would try him out at FS. I would try everybody there not named Kareem Jackson.
Old 05-27-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

So Fred's headed for the outhose? He gotta take a dump or something?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When you are the last defender before getting to the goal line, the only thing that the Texans Navy, Army and Marines will only be able to do is CHEER Bennet to make the tackle. I take very little comfort in that type of "support."
Old 05-27-2010   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that concerns me the most in this article is the following:

Quote:
“Everybody else might call it a disappointing year, but I won't call it a disappointing year. Because to me, I went out there and did my job,” Bennett said. “I did everything they asked, everything the right way. Why things happened as they did, I don't know. You have to ask the coaches. I don't understand and don't know why.
Old 05-27-2010   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The best thing that ever happened to Fred Bennett was Will Demps.

After Demps was out, Bennett became a liability all of a sudden.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #16
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
True, but the powers that be don't like to convert people. Don't know why, they just dont. I would try him out at FS. I would try everybody there not named Kareem Jackson.
and yet Kubiak is always shifting O-lineman and D-lineman around, that is odd that they would do that but not a CB to Safety. You would think that a CB could transfer to Safety pretty easy, especially if he has some coverage skill and can hit.

I always thought Bennett would make a great FS but I guess they know more?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said this too when they didn't draft a FS or give any of the possible safety FA a look this off-season, they're likely to try and shift one of the bubble CBs over to one of the safety spots.

Looks like the extent of their plan at FS goes something like pray Wilson can make it through the season healthy and if not...well shit.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #18
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I said this too when they didn't draft a FS or give any of the possible safety FA a look this off-season, they're likely to try and shift one of the bubble CBs over to one of the safety spots.

Looks like the extent of their plan at FS goes something like pray Wilson can make it through the season healthy and if not...well shit.
If Moulden could stay healthy, I think he would fit nice at FS...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This will be another excuse for why the Texans didn't make the playoffs if Wilson gets hurt.

Kubes will be like, gosh darn it if we wouldn't have had injuries in the secondary we would have made the playoffs.

I'm not buying the excuses.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
If Moulden could stay healthy, I think he would fit nice at FS...
Yeah, Kubiak constantly refers to him as a possible starter and a guy who has the skills if/when healthy and that's usually talking about him as a CB. For a guy his size, with his speed and he's always seemed like a capable tackler...on a team with little FS help...and lots of CB depth...

Quote:

How ridiculous is it that they don't even make the attempt? They draft these CBs who fit a very specific CB/S tweener mold (except McCain who was drafted for his speed) and let them rot as depth not even throwing out a word in OTA's about getting creative.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read