Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No Training Camp for OD, Hill

Quote:
If I had to go to one place thats going to be the sticking point throughout camp as we work, and Im going to have to work around it, its our tight end position, because O.D. and Anthony Hill will not be participating in training camp, coach Gary Kubiak said after the Texans' OTA practice on Wednesday. You go carrying six tight ends when you get through training camp, youve got other problems at other spots, so weve got some work to do from that standpoint.
Quote:
"Hes (OD) way ahead of schedule, hes doing very well, but its been thought of all the time that if we get to camp that he would do some possible work in seven-on-seven, non-contact type of stuff but (we would) not throw him right back into full banging, so to speak," Kubiak said. "So theres going to be some maneuvering to do, and Anthony realistically probably wont be ready until the beginning of the season.
The other 4 tight ends: Dreessen, Casey, Garrett, Gaines

We all knew that the reason they signed Gaines and drafted Garrett was to have camp bodies knowing OD and Hill wouldn't be there. I'm shocked Kubes said Hill won't be ready until the season. I think he's headed for the practice squad or the unemployment line. OD's stuff sounds encouraging but missing camp is never good right?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/in...p?post_id=1178
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No Training Camp for OD, Hill

I see OD getting into maybe the last game of pre-season and I don't know what to think about Hill. I imagine they will keep him but I can't see that lasting through next season too if he's as unproductive/injured as he has been.
Old 05-26-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess this explains why we took some TE insurance in the draf
Old 05-26-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

We HAVE TO draft 2-3 TE's a year since we have the TE curse of Joppru. No TE is safe within this city!!!!
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I see OD getting into maybe the last game of pre-season and I don't know what to think about Hill. I imagine they will keep him but I can't see that lasting through next season too if he's as unproductive/injured as he has been.
Hopefully its more than just the last game of preseason for OD. My next question for Kubiak would've been "do you expect OD to be 100% for week 1 with no restrictions or will he have limitations placed on his number of snaps based on his health heading into week 1"?

If he'll be 100% by week 1, then I wouldn't worry too much about camp or preseason. If he's not ready to go all out week 1, I'm starting to get nervous. If thats the case, here's to hoping Casey or Garrett can take the next step up.
Old 05-26-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This just means Casey and Garrett are getting tons of snaps. Schaub will find them.
Old 05-26-2010   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Hopefully its more than just the last game of preseason for OD. My next question for Kubiak would've been "do you expect OD to be 100% for week 1 with no restrictions or will he have limitations placed on his number of snaps based on his health heading into week 1"?

If he'll be 100% by week 1, then I wouldn't worry too much about camp or preseason. If he's not ready to go all out week 1, I'm starting to get nervous. If thats the case, here's to hoping Casey or Garrett can take the next step up.
OD will probably be doing stuff in practice and whatnot, I just don't see Kubes putting him in a semi-game situation unless he is 100% comfortable with what he has seen Daniels doing in the week prior. I mean, I doubt the offense is going to be so considerably different that Daniels will need the pre-season games to get up to speed.
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2010   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
OD will probably be doing stuff in practice and whatnot, I just don't see Kubes putting him in a semi-game situation unless he is 100% comfortable with what he has seen Daniels doing in the week prior. I mean, I doubt the offense is going to be so considerably different that Daniels will need the pre-season games to get up to speed.
Yeah I agree, OD's gotten enough snaps in this offense, mentally he's up to speed and could miss all of camp and preseason and step in and be fine.

My questions start there though. How long before his knee feels 100%? Is he going to need to run on that knee for a few weeks before it feels normal? Sometimes after these surgeries they'll be 100% heeled but still not feel completely back to normal for weeks even months. These questions are probably better directed towards Owen than Kubes but still need to be asked and answered. Who the heck was conducting this interview with Kubiak anyways? Zero follow up questions on some heavy stuff from Kubes.
Old 05-26-2010   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I agree, OD's gotten enough snaps in this offense, mentally he's up to speed and could miss all of camp and preseason and step in and be fine.

My questions start there though. How long before his knee feels 100%? Is he going to need to run on that knee for a few weeks before it feels normal? Sometimes after these surgeries they'll be 100% heeled but still not feel completely back to normal for weeks even months. These questions are probably better directed towards Owen than Kubes but still need to be asked and answered. Who the heck was conducting this interview with Kubiak anyways? Zero follow up questions on some heavy stuff from Kubes.
Well, if coming back from knee surgery is something you can learn to do, then he should be getting good at it, as this will be his third comeback from an ACL injury.
Old 05-26-2010   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I think long as he's ready to go 100% week 1 I'm comfortable, if not and Casey or Garrett doesn't look capable of being a decent step in, I'm nervous.

From what I keep hearing Garrett is supposed to be an OD clone.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #11
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The other 4 tight ends: Dreessen, Casey, Garrett, Gaines

We all knew that the reason they signed Gaines and drafted Garrett was to have camp bodies knowing OD and Hill wouldn't be there. I'm shocked Kubes said Hill won't be ready until the season. I think he's headed for the practice squad or the unemployment line. OD's stuff sounds encouraging but missing camp is never good right?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/in...p?post_id=1178
Hill pretty much had the same injury as OD and right after OD I believe. It will hurt Hill not being in camp though and what you said about PS or unemployment could ring true. Sucks for him cause he is a big kid that could help out with blocking.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, if coming back from knee surgery is something you can learn to do, then he should be getting good at it, as this will be his third comeback from an ACL injury.
Third? I thought OD only had 1 knee injury in college...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Hill pretty much had the same injury as OD and right after OD I believe. It will hurt Hill not being in camp though and what you said about PS or unemployment could ring true. Sucks for him cause he is a big kid that could help out with blocking.
When you're that young and you have this hard of a time staying healthy your future isn't good. I've been rooting for him since we drafted him, a 6-6 260 pound tight end that blocks like a tackle was tantalizing but its becoming clear that his body can't take the NFL wear and tear.
Old 05-26-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line, it looks like we may be looking at beginning the season having at least 2 TEs having questionable starting physical capabilities, 3 TEs having questionable starting capabilities, and 1 TE having very questionable starting capabilities. In other words, come opening day, we are one big question mark at tight end.........hopefully not dead end.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hill is going to be in trouble. I really liked Temple TE Steve Maneri coming out in the draft as a blocking TE. Look for him to impress in training camp.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Third? I thought OD only had 1 knee injury in college...
He also had one in HS.
Old 05-26-2010   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hill is going to be in trouble. I really liked Temple TE Steve Maneri coming out in the draft as a blocking TE. Look for him to impress in training camp.
Is he getting any reps?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Is he getting any reps?
No clue, I dont have access to OTAs. I think he will surprise some people, I am really shocked he went undrafted.
Old 05-26-2010   #19
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
No clue, I dont have access to OTAs. I think he will surprise some people, I am really shocked he went undrafted.
Not shocked he went undrafted, I had a 7th round grade on him. He's asked to switch to OT btw.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian View Post
Not shocked he went undrafted, I had a 7th round grade on him. He's asked to switch to OT btw.
I had him as a solid 5th.

Where did you hear about him being switched to tackle? Because I think that is internet speculation. He is more of a TE/OL hybrid, much like Hill, which is why I think that Hill's roster spot is in jeopardy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read