Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Earl Mitchell Thread-Tape Break Down

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Sorry it took so long.
The more I got into it, the more intriguing it became.
I found that I need to do more leg works.
Also, it is much harder to watch interior line play.

At any rate, I'd like to begin with a game against USC in Earl's Junior year, his first at DT.

USC, the line:

LT 71 Charles Brown - 6'6, 285-303; dratfed #64 by Saints; all PAC 10;
Morris Trophy winner (best O-lineman in PAC 10)

LG 53 Jeff Byers - 6'3, 290-301; UDFA Seattle; played G/C for USC; 6 yrs at USC; all PAC 10

C 61 Kristopher O'Dowd - 6'5, 300-315; started as a true freshman;
on Remington Award watch list as early as his Soph yr when he was All PAC 10 (the season this game is in).
on Lombardi Award watch list for this upcoming yr.

RG 56 Alex Parsons - 6'4, 300-305; UDFA Raiders; versatile lineman who can play all 5 spots...
and that was after he converted to the O-line in his Soph yr (he played DT before that).

RT 76 Nick Howell - 6'5, 290-300; son of Pat Howell (former All American USC guard, played for the Falcons and Oilers);
UDFA Titans; also can play all 5 positions; 38 reps at 225.

So we're looking at a group of versatile and athletic linemen for the Trojans
that Mitchell would face in his 6th game as a DT for the Arizona Wildcats.

1-10 (RDT) Pushed LG 53 in the pocket and gaining; C came to help.
Pretty good.
Sanchez might have felt the pressure a bit premature and possibly hurried his throw a tad (maybe).
Receiver wide open. Incomplete.

2-10 (RDT) got pushed back initially by LG (poor),
but then managed to get off the blocker to tackle the RB
on a cut back run for a loss of 1 (good).
- Note: LDT and LDE had shut down the POA, forcing the RB to cut back inside.

3-11 Double teamed - NA

Basically, Mitchell helped bring about 3rd and long, which is always good for the defense.
FG USC led 3-0

Only in his 6th game as a DT and the announcer had already talked about him as a "big time" player
when announcing the line-up.

1-10 8yd quick pass - (RDT) Was double teamed by LG & C, but managed to change direction and
attack outside LG 53 and gaining.
Fair to Pretty Good

2-2 (RDT) Pushed LG toward FB in the running lane behind the LOS a yard or two (1)
RB had to cut back inside (too bad, the NT missed the easy tackle) and barely made the first down.
Very good on EM's part.

1-10 QB bootleg; faked run to the right - Showed effort in pursuit.
NA or fair.

2-10 (RDT) Pushed LG a couple of yard back and into running lane (2);
controlled the edge where the FB had gone past (inside LT);
- RB had to cut back inside for 4yds (NT missed another tackle).
Very good on EM's part

3-6 Pushed LG toward QB about 6 yds behind the LOS, gaining to the inside in about 1-1/2 sec
- Good.
Sanchez was not really pressured as he slided to the left, but threw a bad pass - INT.

Mitchell played a good part in this series.

1-10 (LDT) Got pushed back 5yd beyond the LOS by the double team RG & RT (3)
- Very Bad.
EM was pushed back a couple of yards initially.
Instead of dugging in, he tried to disengage, lost his balance, and was pushed back further.
No gain on the run, however, as the LDE and ROLB were both optioned on either side and clamped in.

2-10 (RDT) Double teamed by LG & C - Displayed strong effort pushing against it
- Pretty good.
This allowed the ROLB to come in a blitz;
too bad, he pulled on Sanchez shoulder but couldn't hold on.
20 yd completion.

1-10 QB bootleg - NA

NIR (not in rotation) the next two plays

3-1 (NT) Pushed C 6yds back into the pocket toward the QB.
Sanchez scrambled to the outside and threw an Incompletion.
Good to very good.

4-1 Together with the other DT, shut down the middle with penetration (4);
Good to Very Good;
RB had to bounce outside for a first down but the RT was called for holding on the LDE.

Punt
On consecutive plays in short yardage situation, Mitchell was instrumental in stopping this drive.

Score tied 3-3

1-10 (RDT) Took on a little chip by the C then strung the LG along the LOS
(though losing a bit toward the end);
It was good enough initially to slow down the FB in his lead block.
This allowed the ROLB to come up and limit the RB to a 2yd gain.
A tad better than Fair. Probably can be considered pretty good.

2-8 3yd Quick pass - NA or Fair

3-5 Another quick pass - NA

1-10 (RDT) Double teamed by LT & LG - NA or Fair

2-10 Another quick pass - NA

3-10 Tried to bull rushed RG unsuccessfully;
Sanchez completed the pass for first down -
Below average.

1-10 NIR
2-7 NIR

1-10 (LDT) Pushed the RG toward the running lane a yd or two (5)
- Good;
Wildcats had poor run support, however.

2-1 (LDT) Penetrated inside RG; FB had to bounce outside; penalty on USC.
- Pretty Good

2-6 (LDT) Good job penetrating the inside again;
RB cut all the way outside for the first down as AZ lost containment.

1-10 (LDT) Playing the backside, EM avoided the cut block by the RT (6);
the RB eluded his arm tackle, however, for a 4yd gain.
Good effort by EM but Bad tackling.

2-6 Double teamed - NA

3-1 (NT) Got pushed back a couple of yds beyond the LOS by the combo block C & RG
That was how much Sanchez got on the keeper.
Bad

1-10 (RDT) Took on the double team by penetrating between C & LG, allowing the NT to stunt around
and force Sanchez to hurry the throw high and long
- Good

2-10 (LDT) Got pushed back 2 yds by the double team RG & RT (7).
Bad
But the bigger problem lies with the LDE who was optioned but lost containment. 12yd run.

1-goal-USC 2
QB Rolled out; incompletion - double teamed by RG & RT - NA

2-goal
(LDT) Got pushed back a couple yards by the double team RG & RT again (away from the play) (8).
Was able to disengage to pursue and tackle the runner right at the goal line.
It was a controversial TD, but not because of EM. Rather it was due to LBs slow to flow.
(Replays showed that the ball never broke the plane; even the announcer said so).
Bad start for EM turned into Very Good effort, but inconsequential.
Call it Good overall.
Remember, the run was off LT, a few miles away from EM.

Mitchell was inconsistent in this TD drive.
He wasn't the main culprit, but showed that he needs to work on techniques and strength
against the double team in the running game.

Wildcats missed a FG and trailed 3-10 at the half

2nd Half

1-10 Run away - NA - Showed effort in pursuit.
Fair or a little better than fair.

2-6 Quick pass, incomplete - NA

3-6 Double teamed - NA or fair;
Sanchez ran into a sack from the blind side, fumble.

Score tied now

1-10 Rolled out - NA

1-10 (RDT) Pushed LG toward running lane a couple of yds (9);
RB had to cut back for no gain
- Good

2-10 Same thing (10);
RB was able to cut back for 7 yds however, as Wildcats missed a couple of tackles.
- Good play on EM's part.

3-3 Rolled out for a quick pass - NA

NIR (not in rotation) for 2 plays

3-8 (LDT) Could not get much of anything going on the RG; completed pass for first down.
- Below average to Poor.

1-10 Can't see if he was in there or not; if he was it would be at NT and double teamed - NA

2-10 (LDT) Double teamed by C & RG
- Fair - TD pass.

Mitchell played fairly well overall in this TD drive.

He continued to show that he can push the G toward the running lane.
USC runs mostly a ZBS.

Mitchell achieved these - examples (1) thru (17) – due to penetration ahead of the Guard (to the outside).
It’s difficult to describe; I can only say that the net effect is good for the defense, even if
- he gets pushed back a little (as long he’s still ahead)
- or when he draws the double team G & T and gets pushed back; it means either the DE or the OLB is free).

Sometimes he can even get to the FB or slow him down, giving the LBs better opportunities; as the POA gets clogged up, the OLB can flow quickly to the outside when the RB bounces, the MLB can flow quickly up the middle when the RB cuts back.

On the back side, Mitchell quickness makes it difficult for the OT to reach block.
A clean cut block is also difficult to achieve.
Mitchell, therefore, can pursue the play from the back side,
Closing the cut back lane.

His penetration to the inside is also effective against both the running game (requiring the C to stay longer to help in the combo block) and passing game (likewise requiring the C to help).

In the passing game, his penetration generated 2 hurries and 4 pressures for the game.

He was double-teamed some 25 times and defeated it straight up a couple of times. A few other times, he sprang the DT on the stunt or freeing the blitzing LB.

Other times, the QB had to sidestep, which supposedly means good news for the DEs.

Overall, he did a good job against the double team.

Trojans got the ball back on their 4, leading 17-10

1-10 (RDT) Pushed LG back deep in the pocket - a couple of yards into the end zone,
even with C coming to help.
Sanchez had to scramble outside but managed to complete the pass for 9 yds.
Very Good play by EM though.

2-1 (LDT) Started to gain on RG at LOS on the back side,
but got cut down by the OT 68 (extra OT in the power formation, lining up outside the RT)
as he tried to disengage (11).
At least a Fair job since the pile is right at the LOS; ie. no cut back lane.
RB cut back this way with a nice move for close to 3.
LOLB overpursued and lost the chance to stop the run cold.
(better play by the LB would make EM look better since he took on two O-linemen
to give the LB the opportunity to make play.)

NIR for 2 plays

3-2 (LDT) Worked hard to push the double team RG & C in the pocket,
then get past them with a nice spin move to the inside (2-1/2 secs),
Together with the LDE; got in Sanchez' face,
forcing a dump pass out to the flat behind the LOS way short of the first down.
Very good.

Punt
Mitchell played well in this drive.
Showed that he can be strong against the double team at times.
Instrumental in stopping the third down conversion.

Bad pass by Wildcats, easy INT for USC

1-10 Rolled out - NA; EM did fairly well against the double team.
Pretty good.

2-10 Penalty on USC

2-15 Quick pass away from EM - NA

3-6 (RDT) Started with a baby club move left handed on the inside shoulder of the LG
just enough to get penetration; LG recovered by holding onto EM's face mask
but got pushed 6 yds into the backfield toward Sanchez (no call).
Very good job by EM.
Sanchez managed to squeeze to the outside (RDE lost the edge) and scrambled for the first down.

1-10 Got pushed back a little by the LG (12);
Below average.
Two LBs were able to get up and stop the RB for a 1 yd gain, however.

NIR on the next 2 plays - USC punt

Wildcats also punted

1-10 (RDT) Got ahead of the LG 53 and pushed him toward the running lane on a mid-zone run (13);
RB tried to bounce outside but EM disengaged to pursue and joined in the tackle for a 1yd loss.
Very good.
(Don't forget that McKnight is a speedy guy!)

2-11 (RDT) Couldn't get much going on the LG then got double teamed as the LT came.
A tad below average to average.

1-10 Double teamed - NA

2-1 (LDT) Gained a bit on the RG but inconsequential on the pass rush
- Perhaps a tad better than fair.

3-1 Got pushed back a little by the RG, then RT came in to help push EM further
(for close to 4 yds total beyond the LOS) (14)
The NT also got pushed back by the double team C & LG
- Easy conversion for Sanchez on the keeper
- Bad to almost very bad.

1-10 Reverse - NA
- Fair effort in pursuit.

2-5 (RDT) On the backside, EM did a good job pushing the LG making sure there's no cutback lane (15).
Good

3-1 Got penetration from the NT position, but couldn't quite get to the RB's feet.
USC got called for a penalty.
Good effort by EM.

3-6 Double teamed - NA - Fair

Same score

1-10 (RDT) Pushed LG into the running lane (16).
Very good.
No room to run as the Wildcats swarmed in for a 6yd loss.

2-16 Double teamed quick pass - NA

3-3 Double teamed - NA

Punt

1-10 Rolled out - NA

2-10 Combo blocked as C helped LG cleared EM (RDT) away for a 6 yd run.
Poor to Bad

3-4 Gaining a tiny bit on the LG but inconsequential
- Fair

1-10 Got held off just long enough by the LG at the POA on a run.
Below average to poor.

1-10 Rolled out - NA

2-10 Double teamed and dug in fairly well;
probably average.

3-1 Gained a bit at the POA in short yardage situation (17),
but RB bounced outside for 6
Fair to pretty good.

1-10 Penetrated inside LG to cut off the running lane;
helped chase RB to the other side and joined in the tackle (almost pulled out the ball).
Good to very good.

2-5 From the nose, penetrated the left side of the C and tackled the lead blocker (FB),
shutting off the running lane; 2 yd gain for the RB.
Pretty good to good.

3-3 Away from the play, got pushed back by the combo block but inconsequential
- a tad below average.

End game.

BTW, I think 25 double teams in one game against a 3-Tech is an incredible number, especially considering KC Joyner's take on Okoye.

I am not sure how they gather the data, but it seems quite odd to me.
I've looked at the first game we played against the Jets, and both Okoye and Cody had achieved their quotas (for the whole year) in beating the double-team shortly in the rotation.
When I have some time I would love to come back to that game.

On a side note, the LB we drafted from Miami looks pretty strong against linemen.
Not sure if I have time to get to him though.

I would like to rescind my initial judgments on Mitchell. I have been re-watching film, and while I still dont think the Texans reached for him, I think that he could really contribute on passing situations.

Bah, hate admitting when I am wrong.

If I'm missing it, I apologize but you could really use a grading system with these mega posts...

It's really hard.
Like the previous year, I tried a number grading system with the Texans and had to readjust so many times.

The best thing to do is probably to grade the O-linemen and what the plays were supposed to be, and then grade the D-lineman seperately (but accordingly - if that makes sense).

But it really takes a lot of time and efforts, due to a good amount of guessworks involved.

I really wish I can do a better job.
But there's really no substitute to watching interior line play.
One just have got to watch the game and slow it down a lot, lots and lots.

I would like to rescind my initial judgments on Mitchell. I have been re-watching film, and while I still dont think the Texans reached for him, I think that he could really contribute on passing situations.

Two things:

1. There were reasons why I graded him a fourth-rounder instead of where he was drafted, so I think I can understand.

2. Even as I bought into the penetrating DT concept during TC last year, I too, wanted a big-eating space-eater since Okam did not seem to be able to maintain his play at a heavier weight.
(Actually, when we drafted Okam, I said I think he can play better at a lighter weight than he was in college rather than heavier.)

Obviously, there's always concerns in short yardage situation with any 3-Tech. But then again, if we play gap-8, that concern is not any bigger than any other position along the line.

Two things:

1. There were reasons why I graded him a fourth-rounder instead of where he was drafted, so I think I can understand.

2. Even as I bought into the penetrating DT concept during TC last year, I too, wanted a big-eating space-eater since Okam did not seem to be able to maintain his play at a heavier weight.
(Actually, when we drafted Okam, I said I think he can play better at a lighter weight than he was in college rather than heavier.)

Obviously, there's always concerns in short yardage situation with any 3-Tech. But then again, if we play gap-8, that concern is not any bigger than any other position along the line.

I did not even want someone 330+ pounds. I just wanted a strong guy to occupy players. You dont have to be massive to plug the gaps.

I dont think we will see Mitchell in the starting lineup in the foreseeable future. He is raw. However, I think that we will see him in packages much sooner than my initial impression was. He could be very helpful in passing situations.

By the way, thanks for doing these reviews. They are awesome.

It's really hard.
Like the previous year, I tried a number grading system with the Texans and had to readjust so many times.

The best thing to do is probably to grade the O-linemen and what the plays were supposed to be, and then grade the D-lineman seperately (but accordingly - if that makes sense).

But it really takes a lot of time and efforts, due to a good amount of guessworks involved.

I really wish I can do a better job.
But there's really no substitute to watching interior line play.
One just have got to watch the game and slow it down a lot, lots and lots.

rep for all your time breaking down tape.

I was interested in his first week of OTA's seeing how he measured up with the big boys. might just be wishfull thinking on my part but he looked thicker/stout'er than Amobi Okoye which leds me to believe they could play next to each other with Mario & Antonio on ends. two quick inside DT's are just what Kollar likes which means that likely EARL was his guy they tageted in the draft.

I was interested in his first week of OTA's seeing how he measured up with the big boys. might just be wishfull thinking on my part but he looked thicker/stout'er than Amobi Okoye which leds me to believe they could play next to each other with Mario & Antonio on ends. two quick inside DT's are just what Kollar likes which means that likely EARL was his guy they tageted in the draft.

Were you able to view OTAs?

I have to disagree with your assessment. While Mitchell's straight line speed is phenomenal, DTs also need to be strong and laterally quick. His strength is average, but I bet he can up that with NFL training. His lateral agility though, really worries me.

I have to disagree with your assessment. While Mitchell's straight line speed is phenomenal, DTs also need to be strong and laterally quick. His strength is average, but I bet he can up that with NFL training. His lateral agility though, really worries me.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/

you know my bias, wish I could have shared before the draft but it all worked out for the best, cause Earl Mitchell is now :texan:

I wouldn't say his strength is average. He's no Hercules, but he's stronger than I thought initially.
He just looks "funny" on tape sometimes in non-HD.
A guy who is 6'2, 295-296 lbs can look "chubby" on tape.

The next game that I will do is against BYU.
Some of the "concerns" remain, but it will definitely prove that he's no weakling.

You really have to question many of these "so-called" "scouting reports" that float around.
Like "he can get pushed around easily in the PAC 10".
"He has durability question", "get tired during games"...
Some of them are really nonsensical.

And I believe his lateral movement is actually pretty decent for a guy that size. He's better against the run game than you think. It's just that he doesn't have that wow factor like Suh does.
(And that is why he's a third-rounder and not the first DT taken.)

Remember what I said about Cody when the Texans got him last year?
"The guy can penetrate some".

Remember what I said about Antonio Smith when the Texans got him (after much criticism which I believe was justified regarding a high-price free agent).
"The guy is a penetrating lineman and will be used as such".

So yes, I agree that EARL was their guy!

I did not even want someone 330+ pounds. I just wanted a strong guy to occupy players. You dont have to be massive to plug the gaps.

I dont think we will see Mitchell in the starting lineup in the foreseeable future. He is raw. However, I think that we will see him in packages much sooner than my initial impression was. He could be very helpful in passing situations.

Like I thought last year about Cody "pushing Okoye and TJ" for playing time, I would say that Mitchell will see time in the rotation just the same.

But yes, he probably won't be a starter in the near future baring injury.
But he has as much potential to be a starter as Cody when the Texans picked him up (Cody) and that is saying a lot for a third-rounder who is still raw. Mitchell might not start ever if Okoye and Cody continue to improve while Mitchell does not show marked progress.
It doesn't matter to me who's the starter, but I imagine it would be better for the team and the general populace of fans to see a first-round drat pick remain starter.

This board is full of controversy and I'm trying very hard to stay away from it, lol.

At any rate, I might as well put up the BYU game.

C 65 Dallas Reynolds - 6'4, 309-320 - UDFA Eagles - activated to active roster in late Dec; All MWC two yrs running.

RG Travis Bright 74 - 6'4-6'5, 321 - UDFA Cowboys (2009) - on PS - signed future contract in early 2010; 34 reps bench press; 540-lb bench press.

LG Ray Feinga 76 - 6'4-6'5, 335-348 - bounced around 3 teams in 09 - signed a future contract with Miami in early 2010; 2-time All MWC; turned down USC, ND and Oregon to play for BYU.

LT Matt Reynolds 70 - 6'6 329 - 2010 Lombardi watch list; All MWC; started every game since his Fr yr.
2 yrs older than normal players due to a 2-yr stint with the mission; also spurned some big programs to play at BYU.
Kiper has him rated the third best OT for next year’s draft.
Castonzo of BC and Carimi of Wisonsin will most likely be first-rounders;
That ought to say something.

RT David Oswald 68 - 6'8 - 330 - UDFA Rams 2009; another older player similar to Matt

So this is the other spectrum of O-line from the Trojans.
BYU offensive line allowed an average 1.54 sacks per game the last 2 years.

A ZBS team and now a power team.
I think it's a fairly good contrast to grasp.
Especially when you put 5 pretty good linemen together in each scheme.

This is The Las Vegas Bowl Game in Mitchell’s Junior season.

1-10 Play action fake. Quick pass. Fair against RG with TE and RB brushing on either side.

2-5 ZBS run left tackle.
Got ahead of the LG but then got stuck as the NT was held off
by the combo block (C & LG).
Managed to push the pile toward the runner who did a good job jumping over it for 4.
Pretty Good to Good

3-1 Penetrated inside LG but QB threw a quick pass for 6.
Good

1-10 Quick bubble screen away - NA

2-10 Stunted to outside of LT as QB threw a quick incompletion.
Slightly Below average.

3-10 Bull rushed the LG. Did his part of pushing the pocket.
Pretty good.
QB scrambled to the other side and threw for a first down.

1-10 Tried a spin move on the RG but met the C. Nothing doing.
Noticed the quick dump pass to the FB and came back to help (wasn't needed).
Below average (the spin move) to fairly good (the effort to pursue quickly).

2-5 Got decent leverage on the LG and push him toward the running lane some.
Pretty Good to Good.
RB bounced all the way to the outside for 8 as the Wildcats lost containment.

1-10 Penetrated the double team C & RG to chase QB out of the pocket.
Put a hit on the QB as he hurried the throw for an incompletion.
(Threw the ball away.)
Excellent.

2-10 Started by pushing the LG inside toward the C, but disengaged quickly and forced the RB to bounce outside LT.
Joined with RDE to assist in making the stop, limiting the RB to less than 2.
Very good.

3-8 Double teamed by C & RG
- Fair.

Punt

1-10 Set the edge outside RG at the POA, forcing the RB to cut back inside
where the LB shot up to make the tackle for no gain.
Good.

2-10 Avoided the cut block by the LG to pursue the RB on a 6yd stretch run.
Solid tackle.
Good to very good.

3-6 Double teamed by C & RG and still managed to disengage
to assist in stopping the scrambling QB short of the first down.
Pretty Good.

Punt

1-10 Nice quick spin move to get by the RG to the outside
(good to very good),
but QB threw a quick pass enough for first down.

1-10 Run play away – NA
- Fair - Wildcats called for offside.

1-5 Working on the LG to the outside and gaining a little.
Good job chasing QB as he scrambled up the pocket (stopped by safety for 3)
Pretty Good.

2-2 Stretch run away. Good job avoiding the cut block to pursue but not involved in the play.

1-10 Stretch run away - NA

2-7 So-so job bull rushing the LG. About average.
(QB fumbled the ball, not due to EM).

Wildcats leading 10-0 after a FG.

1-10 Decent bull rush on LG, gaining a little.
Above average or Fair.

2-10 Double teamed - NA

1-10 Outside zone run away
- Slightly below average pursuit.

2-6 Can't tell where he lined up in the pass rush.
NT was fair (getting a little push); LDT below average.
36yd pass play in the middle.

1 and goal at the 3-1/2
Got pushed all the way into the end zone by the double team LG & LT.
Very Bad.
But remember these two guys are monsters and one of them might have committed holding.
Run play away for 2-1/2

2-goal just outside the 1
Got cut block clean by the LT, impeding the OLB (a little) from pursuing the outside zone run. TD.
Bad.
Again, just want to reiterate that this guy might be a first rounder next year as an under-classman.

10-7 now

1-10 Got off the block from the C and came around to assist in the run stop (2 yds).
Good.

2-8 Good push on the LG on the pass play.
Jumped up with hand stretched out forcing the QB to pull up and scramble up the middle (1yd.)
Good effort to turn around quickly and pursued. LB called for personal foul, however.

1-10 Very minimal gain on the LG in pass rush.
About average.

2-2 Got off the RG to chip the FB releasing thru the middle.
Fair or NA
Not a bad idea to play the run there. But it was a pass play.

1-10 Lured the LG deep then took on the LT, enabling the RDE to stunt inside
to hurry the QB on the low throw. (Designed play).
Good job by EM.
Receiver made a nice catch for 9, however.

2-1 Double teamed by LG & C - NA - incomplete.

3-16 After three penalties on BYU,
Stunt to the outside; draw play up the middle - NA

Halftime

1-10 Got pushed back 3 yds by RG but managed to finally get off
and joined to assist in stopping the RB for 5.
About average.

2-5 Strung along the LOS by RT but managed not to lose much ground at the POA.
A tad below average to average.
2yd run

3-3 Double-teamed by C & LG - NA

1 and goal at the 7
6yd QB scrambled (designed play) from the wide spread and empty backfield.
(LDT) Attacked to the inside of the RG, QB went up to the outside of RG.
Middle was wide open with no defender. Good offensive call, terrible defensive call.
Good job by EM (if he was asked just to penetrate and rush the QB,
and it's somebody else problem to plug the run).
Very bad (if he was supposed to guard against the QB draw as well as rushing the QB).
Same thing goes for the LDE.
Other players were too far off to flow effectively to the play.

2 and goal at the 1
LG got a little push on EM just past the LOS.
Below average.

3 and goal at the 1/2
Play action fake; quick pass TD in the corner. NA

BYU leading 14-10

1-10 Run Play away - NA

2-6 Got off the RG quickly as he read the swing pass to the flat.
WR Collie fumbled the ball as he ran into his own blocker.
EM almost recovered the fumble but for his teammate interference.
No-catch was called, however.
Good.

3-6 Double teamed - NA

Wildcats leading 17-14

1-10 Gained a little bit on the LG, was held as he tried to disengage but no call. Good.
2yd QB scramble.

2-8 Quick pass incomplete - NA

3-8 Quick pass first down - NA

1-10 Got pushed back by the RG but managed to get off and tackled the runner after a 6yd gain.
Average to Fair (???).

2-4 Quick pass away - NA

1-10 Double teamed - NA

2-4 Indecisive on whether to go after the pass rush or drop back to follow the releasing RB.
Fortunately, the pass was incomplete. Poor.

3-4 Tried to penetrate inside the RG unsuccessfully, then met the C.
Below average on this pass play.

1-10 Nothing doing on the RG
– Below average to Poor.

2-4 PI Penalty on BYU

2-19 Quick pass - NA

3-12 Half-hearted stunt to the outside.
Below average to poor.

AZ 24-14

1-10 Got off the RG to make the tackle to limit the runner to 4yds
Good job by EM;
poor to bad jobs by the LBs.

2-6 Shut down the POA; then disengage to chase the RB forcing him to run laterally for just a one-yd gain.
Good to very good.

3-5 Stunted to the outside to draw the double team,
allowing the blitzing LB to come in and forced the QB to fumble the ball.
Pretty good execution.

Same score

1-10 Quick pass. Gained a tiny bit on the RG in the bull rush.
Average to slightly above.

2-1 Run away.
Good effort by EM to get off the block and joined in the tackle.
Still a first down as the DE lost containment on the cut back run.

1-10 Set the edge on an inside run.
Pretty Good to good.

2-5 Quick pass - NA

3-5 Nothing doing on the RG in the pass rush.
Below average to Poor.

1-10 Draw play away - NA

1-10 NIR on the INT

AZ 31-14

1-10 Get up his hand in the passing lane
- Fair - Pass incomplete.

2-10 Quick pass - NA

3-2 QB scrambled away
- Fair effort

1-10 Pushed the pocket on the LG
- Above average

2-8 Put a hand on the RG to lure him outside then stunted to the outside to take on the RT
(LDE dropped back in the zone blitz), this allowed the blitzing LB to come up the middle
and almost get to the QB who barely got the ball off.
Good execution on the stunt.

1-10 Gaining a bit on the RG to the inside on the penetration. Quick pass.
Fair to pretty good effort.

2-10 Stunted around the RT, gaining. Quick pass.
Fair.

1-10 Nothing doing against the RG
- Below average to Poor.

2-10 Quick pass - NA

AZ 31-21
California scored then recovered the onside kick.

1-10 Bootleg away - NA

1-10 QB roll out away - NA

2-10 Quick pass - Fair

NIR for 2 plays

3-9 Took on the double team LG & LT, allowing blitzing LB to come in and forced QB
to hurry up the throw (incomplete) as he got hit.
Good execution.

QB Max Hall suffered:
10 Hits - 5 Hurries - 2 sacks

Mitchell only had one QB hit, but he was involved in 6 or 7 other plays that led to those results, mostly by luring the double team.

He was generally good against the run game, except for a few plays.
Pretty impressive for a guy playing his first year at DT.

On the plays where you graded him as poorly, was the effort still there? Was he taking plays off or was it he just needs coaching up?

Note: I was doing this game without regard to the fact that these Olinemen are huge and any age/experience factor.

I've noticed you put N/A down for when he gets doubled, but how does he command the double team? How hard does he work when he see's he's doubled?

Great stuff by the way and I shall rep you with my internetz.

I wouldn't say his strength is average. He's no Hercules, but he's stronger than I thought initially.
He just looks "funny" on tape sometimes in non-HD.
A guy who is 6'2, 295-296 lbs can look "chubby" on tape.

The next game that I will do is against BYU.
Some of the "concerns" remain, but it will definitely prove that he's no weakling.

You really have to question many of these "so-called" "scouting reports" that float around.
Like "he can get pushed around easily in the PAC 10".
"He has durability question", "get tired during games"...
Some of them are really nonsensical.

And I believe his lateral movement is actually pretty decent for a guy that size. He's better against the run game than you think. It's just that he doesn't have that wow factor like Suh does.
(And that is why he's a third-rounder and not the first DT taken.)

Like I thought last year about Cody "pushing Okoye and TJ" for playing time, I would say that Mitchell will see time in the rotation just the same.

But yes, he probably won't be a starter in the near future baring injury.
But he has as much potential to be a starter as Cody when the Texans picked him up (Cody) and that is saying a lot for a third-rounder who is still raw. Mitchell might not start ever if Okoye and Cody continue to improve while Mitchell does not show marked progress.
It doesn't matter to me who's the starter, but I imagine it would be better for the team and the general populace of fans to see a first-round drat pick remain starter.

I dont really put alot of stock in online scouting reports, I rely on my own information for the most part.

His strength appears average to me, for an NFL DT. Whatever sight said he gets pushed around easily is wrong, but he also does not push other people around all that much. He gets past them with his speed, and when a stronger lineman gets a hand on him, it really slows him down. Laterally, I dont like what I see. I saw it on tape, and he confirmed my fear during testing.

We agree then. I think he could get a handful of sacks this year playing on passing situations. Maybe 3, and a couple hurries.

I've noticed you put N/A down for when he gets doubled, but how does he command the double team? How hard does he work when he see's he's doubled?
Great stuff by the way and I shall rep you with my internetz.

Valid question. That being said, it would be amazing to have an interior pass rusher that commands a double team- even if he drops into fetal position once it happens. After all, that would leave three OLmen to block Mario, Barwin, and A.Smith... that is a great situation for us!

I dont really put alot of stock in online scouting reports, I rely on my own information for the most part.

His strength appears average to me, for an NFL DT. Whatever sight said he gets pushed around easily is wrong, but he also does not push other people around all that much. He gets past them with his speed, and when a stronger lineman gets a hand on him, it really slows him down. Laterally, I dont like what I see. I saw it on tape, and he confirmed my fear during testing.

We agree then. I think he could get a handful of sacks this year playing on passing situations. Maybe 3, and a couple hurries.

3 sacks and a couple of hurries would be really good for a 3d round rookie DT... with a little coaching and some work in the weight room he could really be a good help for our D-Line...

You are right that he gets past them with speed, but I must add "and quickness", and that includes good lateral quickness.

The next game I will do is against California.
There are plenty of examples to show that.
And I really don't know how we determine what is an average NFL 3-tech strength.
But this game should show that there's pretty good strength in him.

BTW, I went back and rewatched the first half of the Nebraska-Arizona game when the Cornhuskers jumped out to a 23-0 lead in the first half that would hold for the game; there wasn't much difference in the level of play between Mitchell and Suh. Neither of them was dominant but Suh showed up on the stats sheet a little more simply because Nebraska played keep-away from Mitchell much more than AZ against Suh.
In fact, I can say that the other DT/NT from Nebraska had a much better time than both of them.

3 sacks and a couple of hurries would be really good for a 3d round rookie DT... with a little coaching and some work in the weight room he could really be a good help for our D-Line...
Honestly I have no idea what kind of numbers can be expected.
I think line play are interwoven, and it also relates to the play of the rest of the team. Year to year, somebody would get more lucky and would get showered with better stats.

I will simply be happy with good, solid plays from the D-line overall, doing what a guy is supposed to do on any given play.
There's no doubt though, that Mitchell can contribute in both the run and pass game. At the least, he will not let Rick Smith resign Zgonina due to ack of depth. (And that's with much respect to the "old" warrior.)

Mt. Cody is huge, but I don't think he is gonna be that good. He seems soft. He is a "mudslide". I know its just numbers, but a damn near 400lb man should do more reps on bench than 19 or whatever he did.

Mt. Cody is huge, but I don't think he is gonna be that good. He seems soft. He is a "mudslide". I know its just numbers, but a damn near 400lb man should do more reps on bench than 19 or whatever he did.

Yep. If you would read through the pre-draft talk, I was very anti Cody.

1-10 2yd pitch run away –NA

2-8 3yd run mid zone over RG; AZ left side did a good job turning the run in.
(RDT) disengaged from LG to join the LDE in the tackle (think Antonio here).
Pretty good to Good.

3-5 20yd pass in the middle (in about 2 secs)
(RDT) gaining a bit on the LG in the pass rush; C came over to help.
Think Okoye with a chance to rush the QB one-on-one
Above average to Pretty Good.

1-10 14yd pass to the right off a played faked (fake run one way, QB rolls to the other side) – NA

1-10 6yd mid zone run outside LG.
RDE got pushed back by LT (not gonna happen with Mario here).
(RDT) had a little push on the LG past the LOS at the POA.
This slowed down the runner a bit.
Above average to Pretty Good.

2-4 3yd cut-back run up the middle. It was supposed to be a similar run to the outside of LG.
(RDT) penetrated ahead of the LG, completely shut down the POA.
RB had to cut back inside.
Jack LB (played on the LOS) was optioned on the back side, came in and should have made the tackle
at least 3yds behind the LOS. The MLB also came up and missed the tackle as well.
Mitchell clamped in from the other side.
Actually, the LG was pulling on his arm shamelessly.
(how they did not call that I don’t know, it was as blatant as a foul can be.)
Very Good to Excellent on Mitchell’s part.
If one of the LBs did their job; it would have been 3rd and 7 something like that.
Without the hold on the LG, the RB’s best course of action probably would have been
to put both hands on the ball and lay down and die as Mitchell and the Jack LB jump on top of him.
Then follows the MLB.
To add insult to injury, the RB saw Mitchell staring at him in the face and lost the handle
on the ball, but recovered. Without the hold, Mitchell would be on him so quickly that
a fumble was quite likely.

3-1 Similar run. Barely enough for a first down.
Mitchell dug in at the POA; the FB had to bounce outside.
The RDE lost it a little bit again against the LT, where the yardage was made.
(Think Mario here stopping this run.)
Pretty Good to Good on Mitchell’s part who joined in the tackle with the SAM

1-10 QB sacked for loss of 3. QB scrambled away with pressure from NT in one-on-one situation.
WILL with a coverage sack as nobody was open downfield.
Mitchell was probably not in the rotation;
if he was in, he would have faced the double team and did his share. NA

2-13 Quick pass from the shotgun (anything around 1-1/2 sec or less, especially from the shotgun) – NA
(RDT) Did a decent job pushing the pocket on the LG.
Slightly above average.

3-13 9yd quick pass from the shot gun.
(RDT) draw the double team LG & C. Fair (above average) pushing the pocket – mostly on the G.
RDE almost got to the QB from the edge. (Think Mario).

FG

The Golden Bears got the ball back, leading 3-0

1-10 Quick slant pass for 14.
(LDT) draw the double team RG & C.
Fair job pushing the pocket.

1-10 5yd run outside LT.
(RDT) Dug in and defeated the double team LG & LT, shutting down the POA;
RB had to bounce all the way outside.
TE (strong left) took on RDE (Mario, do some thing!)
RG pulled to take on ROLB.
Very Good on Mitchell’s part.

2-5 11yd run up the middle.
It was supposed to be a ZBS run left but the defense (including RDT Mitchell shut down that side completely); the RB had to cut back.
All 3 LBs whiffed (not gonna happen with our LBs).
Mitchell (who was further from the play than both the LDE & LDT) disengaged and almost made the tackle right around the first down marker (rmartin, he showed LB-good lateral movement there).
Yeah, critics can say that he missed the tackle, but the RB with a big hole up the middle is hard to stop.
(Vereen has speed 4.42-4.58; averaged 4.5; not a burner, but no plodder either – Jahvid Best did not play. But Vereen had TD runs of 36yd, 42yd, 81yd, another 36-yarder in his career that I know of.
He’s no slouch. Another long one will come late in this game.)
With our LBs, that play would have resulted in a minimal gain and Mitchell probably would find himself with an assist or a solo tackle.
Good to Very Good on Mitchell’s part (even though he didn’t make the tackle.)
Oh, and BTW, he might been held, too!

1-10 Quick pass for 9 from the shotgun.
(LDT) Pretty good job pushing the pocket on the RG

2-1 Max-protect on the incomplete pass.
(LDT) Fair job against the double team.
Both DTs drew double team. (Either Mario or Antonio would have gotten to the QB.)

3-1 Rush for loss of 2 up the middle. The other DT with penetration.
Mitchell (RDT) did his job getting ahead of the LG and controlled that side;
He pushed the LG 3 yds into the backfield and toward the running lane.
The RB changed direction and was met by the LDT.
Very Good to Excellent job by Mitchell.
This will be Mitchell’s bread and butter.
Time and again, game after game, you would find him doing this.
You can’t do that without good lateral movement;
sorry rmarin, but I must disagree with you on this point.
Okoye, Cody, the back-side DE and the OLB should find themselves with a few more opportunities.

PUNT

……….

AZ fumbled the ball.

1-10 Incomplete pass. Max-protect. Plenty of men in coverage.
(RDT) Decent job against the double team.

2-9 Quick pass to the left flat for a 4yd loss.
(LDT) Got penetration ahead of the RG to take away the RB out of the backfield
to the right flat. QB went for the second read.
Good.

3-13 NIR – PI on AZ

1-10 9yd run off a broken play;
RDE had the runner in his grasp for a 15yd loss and let him get away back to the inside.
Mitchell was pushed in the back; no call.
He had an excellence chance to make it an 11-13yd loss
with a tackle or in helping slow down the runner.
Very Good effort in pursuit.

2-1 NIR – 2yd run

1 and goal at the 9
Pushed the RG 3yd into the backfield toward the running lane;
Read the QB draw and quickly disengage to pursue, chasing the QB to the sideline.
The safety got there first though. 2yd run.
Good effort by Mitchell.

2-7 (RDT) slowed down the LG a bit for the LB then took on the C (losing a bit) then got cut down accidentally by other falling bodies. 4yd run.
By taking on the LG first, he didn’t have time to square up on the C, but he allowed the MLB to get ready and square up on the releasing LG.
The net effect is still pretty good for Mitchell, or at least Fair.
Here, the OLB was weak and slow against the FB; that should have been at most a 2yd gain.

3-2 Held off the RG at the POA; RB cut outside
Mitchell disengaged from the blocker (again, with good lateral movement) and popped the RB square in the chest, forcing the fumble. The Golden Bears were lucky to recover.
EXCELLENTE!
It was best for Best (Jahvid) not to play in this game, otherwise Best would have been bested by the best (?)!

FG

……….

CA 6-0

1-10 (RDT) penetrated ahead of the LG and was about to tackle the RB for a loss of 2-3yds, but was held by the LG. Finally a holding penalty half the distance to the goal (9yd line)
Excellent.

1-19 Shut down the LG at the POA playing 2 gap control on the draw play.
The RB couldn’t decide which way to go and was tackled for no gain.
Very Good.

2-19 13yd pass into the right flat from the shotgun (about 2 secs).
(RDT) stunted inside, taking the triple team plus the releasing RB who might have brushed him a little. Got some penetration.
The other 3 linemen couldn’t do anything though.
Good to Very Good.

3-6 (RDT) Decent job pushing the double team on the blitz.
QB felt the pressure and hurried the throw high.
Bogus PI call. (Announcer after the replay: “I don’t know what they call. Not only it was non-catchable, but there was no contact anywhere.”)
That should have been 3 and out and very good field position for AZ.

1-10 NIR – 1yd run

2-9 (LDT) pushed the RG into the QB. Pass no where near the WR as the QB hurried the throw.
Receiver probably ran the route as well.
Very Good

3-9 (RDT) Decent job against the double team on the blitz.
QB was pressured and scrambled out of the pocket for 8

PUNT

AZ finally scored to lead 7-6

1-10 (LDT) Pushed the RG way into the running lane; RB bounced outside for 2.
Very Good.

2-8 (RDT) Took on the double team C & LG on a ZBS run right.
Penetrated through it after much pushing and shoving. C couldn’t release to help RG at the POA.
RB cut back and was popped by Mitchell; the RDE came in to clean up. One yd gain.
Very Good

3-7 QB sacked for a 3yd loss by Mitchell.
It took a little over 3 secs, but that was because he had to fought through a triple-team (C, LG and RB)
Excellent

That forced a Punt and give the ball back to AZ with just under 2 mins left to the half.
Enough time to score a FG to go ahead 10-6

The Golden Bears got the ball back with 22 secs though.

1-10 (LDT) Pushed the double team right into the QB, hitting his arm in the forward motion.
Pass sailed way high out of bound. Lucky for California it wasn’t a pass in the middle.

2-9 (LDT) Pushed the double-team C & RG back, putting the C on his back. (I think that's strong enough).
The LG brought the NT inside plugging the gap.
QB completed a pass for 25yds.
Excellent

1-10 (LDT) Took the RG outside then bull rushed the RT pushing him back,
allowing the LDE to stunt inside (but met with the combo block).
QB did not feel comfortable and left the pocket; Mitchell chasing him hotly.
The QB threw the ball away to avoid the hit from Big Earl.
Excellent

2-10 Pretty good push on the LG into the pocket.
Quick pass for 7

FG

AZ 10-9 at the half

I'll still hold out judgment, but I have yet to see the smaller, quicker DLmen work for this team.

Just me but I thought picking up a DL early wasn't as much a need as some people. Not that our DL was fabulous by any means, but it was good enough to get by.

2nd Half

California gets the ball after a deflection/INT

1-10 3yd run away – NA

2-6 2yd run away – Mitchell got off a bunch of bodies to pursue but not involved in the play.

2-7 Quick pass – incomplete – NA against the double team.

PUNTs traded

…….

1-10 2yd run away (LDT) Mitchell and the RG tangled their feet and tripped on each other.
Hey, that’s a classic Judo take down move by Earl J
Also he got right back up, showing that he is light on his feet and not slumbering.
He also showed that he can read his keys.
While he was engaging in the hand fight with the RG to the outside (his left), he noticed that the RT pulled behind the guard to the inside; you can see that he immediately started to try to get off the blocker to follow the play to his right instead of blindly continuing to push to his left.
NA

2-8 (RDT) Showed an effective juke move, started “stutter stepping” to the outside of the LG but quickly went back inside to gain penetration toward the QB. Completed pass (about 2 secs) in the middle for 17.

1-10 (RDT) Play faked left; QB rolled right. Ill-advised throw across the body into double coverage.
INT. - NA

AZ with a short punt of 14yd.
California had the ball on the Wildcats’ 27

1-10 (LDT) Pushed the pocket on the double team.
QB wanted to step up and ran but couldn’t so he retreated and luckily found an open receiver in the corner for a TD.
Good to very good effort by Mitchell.

California with the lead 15-10

1-10 (RDT) Defeated the LG to the inside to take on the pulling LT at the POA behind the LOS.
This forced the RB to slow down and tried to cut to his right. Safety came in for a 2yd tackle for loss.
Excellent job by Mitchell.

2-11 (RDT) stunted to the inside to take on the double team C & RG, pushing the pocket.
The NT stunted to the right and was taken further right by the LG (holding, no call).
QB saw the opening so he pulled up and ran for 9.
Good job by Earl

3-3 (LDT) Play fake left. Mitchell started to follow the RB to his right ahead of the RT, then recognized the run fake.
He immediately disengaged and quickly turned back to his left (now if that’s not good lateral movement, I don’t what is.) LDE beat him to the sack for 5yds (TE released too soon off the LDE).

PUNT

Bad special team coverage after a punt by AZ gave the ball to the Golden Bears at the Wildcats 29.

1-10 (LDT) beat the RG to the inside with a little hesitation move to get into the face of the QB, forcing him to leave the pocket. (Hey, Mitchell isn’t that “raw”)
So close to a sack. RDE tackled the QB after a gain of 2.
Mitchell got there quickly (under 2 secs), and the QB had not found a receiver.
If he was into his throwing motion, that would have been a sure QH Hit and a sack for Earl.

2-9 Dug in against the double team RT & RG in a fairly decent fashion.
RB cut to the outside and gained 13 as the LDE, the LCB and the safety lost containment.

1-10 At the 16
Penetrated to the inside and took the RG with him quickly, leaving a huge gap for the safety to come in on the blitz, forcing a QB hurry and an INT. (RT went wide with LDE).
Good execution. Saved a TD there.

AZ scored to retake the lead 16-15 (both sides failed the 2-pt conversion).

AZ offside.
1-5 (LDT) Gained a little on the RG at the POA; RB cut to the outside for 4.
Pretty Good

2-1 (LDT) A rare “weak” play by Mitchell, getting pushed back 3-4 yds by the double team RG & RT
(RT wrapped left arm around Mitchell for leverage; RG shielded the hold from the refs – OK not so weak after all for Earl).
5 yds run outside RT as LG pulled to block LDE.
Safety was free but missed a tackle right around the LOS.

1-10 3yd run off LT, far away from Mitchell.
(LDT) Mitchell beat the double team RG & RT (and another hold by the same guy) to pursue and make the tackle, clearly showing his strength and explosiveness out of the block.
Excellent play by Earl.

2-7 Quick pass out to the flat for a first down – NA

NIR for 2 plays

1-10 Pushed the RG into the running lane (about 3yds behind the LOS) – with one hand,
and tackled the RB who cut to the side line for a small loss. (that’s pretty strong right there.)
Excellent

2-10 Draw play enough for a first down.
(LDT) Mitchell showed good effort getting off the blocker.
NT was neutralized by the combo block.

1-10 (RDT) lost a little to the LG but still control the POA.
RB cut back all the way to the other side for 12.

1-10 at the 11 and threatening
False Start

1-15 Sweep run to the outside for 5.
(LDT) lost a little to the RG, but managed to disengage to pursue (not needed)
Below average to average

2-10 RG pulled to the other side.
(RDT) Mitchell got off the combo block RT & C;
He then shifted all the way to the other side and tackled the RB after a one-yard gain.
Yeah, I think he has “pretty good” lateral movement alright!
(Announcer: “Mitchell again, playing a HEWWWGE game for AZ – drawing out the word HUGE”)

3-8 Run away to the outside for 5.
Mitchell held off the combo block long enough for the back 7, then disengaged to pursue (but not involved).
But he had already done his job by slowing down the releasing O-lineman.

FG

AZ went on a 10-play drive but couldn’t score and turn the ball over on down sufferng from bad QB’s decision and accuracy.

California got the ball with 1:30 left.
Veneer would score on a 61yd run off LT to seal the game for the Golden Bears.
(Here’s the speed I was talking about).
Mitchell did his job.

(RDT) Took the LG toward the running lane; it started to the right;
Mitchell was pushing on the inside of the LG.
The SS came up but over-pursued to the inside then was picked off by the releasing LT.
(The LT actually put a hand on Mitchell to help him to the inside before releasing.)
The RDE penetrated to the inside of the TE and got pancaked (might have been a hold by the TE).
This left a nice gap for the RB to cut back. (great cut, explosive burst).
The RCB (with no receiver on him) attacked to the outside of the RDE and was not quick enough,.
Simply took himself out of the play.
FS also over-pursued and couldn’t get back soon enough.
This one was on the RDE & the RCB mainly.

What’s the odd of Mario get taken down by a TE?
Also, I believe Kareem Jackson is quicker and faster in run support than this here RCB.

The Wildcats missed 3 TD chances as the QB left the ball short each time on an open receiver.
He also made a couple of bone head moves.

Mitchell played a dominant game in which he clearly won more than half the individual battles (13 out of 25) and was good in another 10.

The two that he lost wasn’t by much. On one of them, he was still in control of the POA; on the other, he quickly disengaged to pursue. So we can’t really say those were lost.

He faced the double/triple team a great deal (24 times) and won an insane number of them (9) while looked good in another 6. He did not look bad against any double team.

He recorded 5 assists and 4 solo tackles, including a sack.
The other 3 solos were all for loss.
Earl forced a fumble. He also registered 3 QB pressures and one hurry.
Let’s also not forget that the better he looked against the double/triple team, the more one-on-one chances he created for others, even bursting them totally free at times.

Oh, and BTW, he EASILY outplayed the #10 pick of the Jaguars Tyson Alualu who is about the same size, only slightly taller. Alualu is a good fit for the Jags as he played NT/DE in the 3-4. (Antonio Smith with a little less quickness.) I don’t know how to determine his strength but let just say he did fewer bench press than Mitchell.

Tyson had some good moments but also looked bad at times.

He clearly lost a few individual battles.
Against the run, he got pushed back pretty badly by an O-lineman once.
He got taken down (pan caked) once.
Then he got cleared off to one side totally by the RT, directly allowed a 34yd TD run.

He lost completely against the double-team at the POA, allowing a 3rd conversion for the Wildcats.
He lost it big again on another run.
Another time against the double-team, he lost completely again, this time allowing a TD run.

In the pass rush, he was neutralized (like in totally) at least twice one-on-one and several times by the double-team
(ie. Did not look anywhere as good as Earl in those double-team situations.)
He also played patsies quite a few times (at least 5).

Mitchell played like a first-rounder and Alualu a third-rounder in this game, IMHO.

You are right that he gets past them with speed, but I must add "and quickness", and that includes good lateral quickness.

The next game I will do is against California.
There are plenty of examples to show that.
And I really don't know how we determine what is an average NFL 3-tech strength.
But this game should show that there's pretty good strength in him.

BTW, I went back and rewatched the first half of the Nebraska-Arizona game when the Cornhuskers jumped out to a 23-0 lead in the first half that would hold for the game; there wasn't much difference in the level of play between Mitchell and Suh. Neither of them was dominant but Suh showed up on the stats sheet a little more simply because Nebraska played keep-away from Mitchell much more than AZ against Suh.
In fact, I can say that the other DT/NT from Nebraska had a much better time than both of them.
I went ahead and finished analyzing the bowl game.

Suh did not play worth his draft status; I would consider him a mid 2nd-rounder if I must grade him.

And there was not 32 spots worth of difference between Suh and Mitchell based upon this game.

California Golden Bears Offensive Line

LT 79 Mike Tepper – 6’7, 319-324; All PAC 10; (older player, 6 years); UDFA Cowboys

LG 75 Matt Summers-Gavin - 6’4, 290; RS Soph; Team MV Frosh; rated #11 HS OT national as a college prospect.

C 54 Chris Guarnero – 6’2, 281 – All Pac 10 HM; as a Jr. played LG and also served as back-up at C for Alex Mack

RG 61 Justin DeWayne Cheadle – 6’2, 299

RT 62 Mitchell Schwartz – 6’6 331; All PAC 10 HM

I recounted that he took on the double-team RG & RT and won handily twice, pushing the big 331-lb RT back.
A third time he was good but was held.
The other two times he was fine.
So I honestly don't think that one can declare that his strength is NFL average.
Maybe it is as we know he can be pushed back at times, but that could be due to leverage rather than strength.

And if you can put one hand on a 300-lb guy and shove him back a few yards (and he wasn't standing straight up) that's not bad at all.

But I understand the concern because I've seen the inconsistency as the next game will indicate.

The California game is from week 11.
The week 12 game is against Oregon.

This game is mired with inconsistencies.
Mitchell looked extremely good several times and extremely bad quite a few times.

Oregon is an option team with the QB Masoli being a slithery guy.
He's not as fast as Pat White (Slaton's old teammate at W.Va) but he's more slithery.

He won 13 individual battles clearly (about a third of them really handily), and looked good in 3 others.
He lost a little 10 times and badly 4 times.

Of the double-team he worked against (at least 20, a few of them in the NA category).
He won 5 of them hand down (that's an excellent ratio of 25%) and looked good in 3 more.
But he also looked very bad 3 times.

He registered 7 tackles (all of them solos), 3 of them for loss, and 2 for very minimal gain (1/2 and 1 yard).
He also had 3 QB pressures and one hurry.

He nearly had 2 sacks; one time the slithery got away from his grasp; the other time it looked very much like he was held.

Overall, it was a very good day at the office for a DT, I believe.
But the inconsistency... arghhh!

I think I have the answer to the inconsistencies:

The Ducks O-line:

LT Bo Thran 6’5 303
LG Carson York 6’5 285
C Jordan Holmes 6’5 294 team high 55 pancakes
RG Mark Asper 6-7, 323
RT C.E. Kaiser 6-4, 290

I only just pull up this line-up, but I did look back at my note and noticed one play that I described as followed:

Beat RG to the outside then pushed him toward the QB.
As the slithery Masoli (QB) scrambled up the pocket, Mitchell disengaged and almost sacked the QB.
The Big RG recovered, however, and gave Mitchell a shove.
(Might have gotten away with holding - the RG).
Excellent effort by Mitchell; fair result.

I've checked my notes and saw that he pushed on the RG some and got pushed back some. That explains the inconsistencies in his plays and it still shows that he's pretty strong. You win some, you lose some against a big guy in a strength contest.

Back