Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Jackson Ready To Start

Not sure if this has been posted yet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...r3X5wD9FQGLM01
Old 05-20-2010   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jackson Ready To Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...r3X5wD9FQGLM01
Coming from a Pro style football program will be a big advantage to breaking into our starting lineup sooner than later.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Coming from a Pro style football program will be a big advantage to breaking into our starting lineup sooner than later.
Not having anyone established helps alot also
Old 05-20-2010   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Ain't that the truth.
Old 05-20-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Crimson Tide players have distinct advantage when it comes to transitioning to the NFL.

Quote:
"Nick Saban runs a pro-style defense so when I get up there hopefully I won't have to make a lot of adjustments," said linebacker Eryk Anders, who is probably looking at the free-agency route. "Different verbage but doing the same kinds of things."

Teams also know that if a player can succeed executing Saban's complex schemes he can also probably pick up whatever they do in similar fashion. Last year both center Antoine Caldwell and safety Rashad Johnson were third-round picks by teams that already had established starters at those positions, but the Houston Texas and Arizona Cardinals felt they were too good not to select.

"Things changed when Coach Saban came in," Johnson said. "Running the pro-style of coaching, of defense, it makes you think a lot different about the game, of the details of learning your position and learning your craft. That's exactly how it is in the league.

"It really helped me become a professional and think I could make it at the next level."

........................"The most intense practices you're ever going to see, and the game speed's not much different. So you get that advantage going to the NFL."
Old 05-20-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally agree that he was the most ready of all the CB's in the draft.

I was just making a snide comment about the state of our secondary in the past. I am actually pretty excited about the young group of guys we have now.

And I think Gibbs will do a much better job of coaching them up than we have seen previously.
Old 05-20-2010   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Totally agree that he was the most ready of all the CB's in the draft.

I was just making a snide comment about the state of our secondary in the past. I am actually pretty excited about the young group of guys we have now.

And I think Gibbs will do a much better job of coaching them up than we have seen previously.

JB,

My only question is how well his coverage skills will stand up for the Texans this year. If I remember, Saban runs a 3-4 defense........one that put a lot of pressure on offenses..........therefore, taking pressure off of their secondary. If we have no better QB pass pressure this year than last......................
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2010   #8
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
JB,

My only question is how well his coverage skills will stand up for the Texans this year. If I remember, Saban runs a 3-4 defense........one that put a lot of pressure on offenses..........therefore, taking pressure off of their secondary. If we have no better QB pass pressure this year than last......................
I share your concerns Doc, but from the film I have watched he will do better than Dunta in some ways. He will struggle early in others.

The pass rush is a key to it, but I think we did a good job last year in applying pressure but when the qb can find a wide open receiver in under 3 seconds it is going to make everyone look bade. The secondary has to be able to blanket a receiver for 3.5 seconds to give the rush a chance.

I do not think we lost much in that regard when Dunta left. And the rest of our secondary and coaches should be better this year.
Old 05-20-2010   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

DUDE!!! We should've signed Dunta for what? A mere $ 10,000,000.00+ this year. Too bad Bob is too cheap to pay an average corner that kind of money.

Play the kid!!
Old 05-20-2010   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just from what my eyes tell me, Jackson looks more natural and smarter in coverage than Robinson did...of course one was going against college prospects and one was going against NFL players..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
DUDE!!! We should've signed Dunta for what? A mere $ 10,000,000.00+ this year. Too bad Bob is too cheap to pay an average corner that kind of money.

Play the kid!!
Honestly I think that it wouldn't have hurt to have Dunta on the team for one more year...

Dunta, Quinn, and Jackson would have been a nice threesome to throw at teams like the Colts...

If we'd have signed Dunta then Quinn and Jackson could have become more adjusted to the NFL and we could have let Dunta walk after that...

But in the end, both of these guys may end up being better than Dunta covg. wise...I guess we'll see...
Old 05-20-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly I think that it wouldn't have hurt to have Dunta on the team for one more year...

Dunta, Quinn, and Jackson would have been a nice threesome to throw at teams like the Colts...

If we'd have signed Dunta then Quinn and Jackson could have become more adjusted to the NFL and we could have let Dunta walk after that...

But in the end, both of these guys may end up being better than Dunta covg. wise...I guess we'll see...
A big part of the problem with Dunta was that Manning and the league knew Dunta better than Dunta knew Manning and the league. I just don't think he has it any more.
Old 05-20-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A big part of the problem with Dunta was that Manning and the league knew Dunta better than Dunta knew Manning and the league. I just don't think he has it any more.
I kinda don't like talking about/evaluating Dunta's game because he's not a Texan anymore, but I guess i talked about Carr for a while after he was gone so....

Anyways, I always felt like Dunta would have been better with a defense that got consistent pressure and forced teams to get it out quick....His athleticism and aggresive style would work well with a team like that I think....It'll be interesting seeing him this yr. as he'll be that much more recovered from the injury...

I do agree with what you're saying though...Coverage wise, Dunta just was not close to being elite...If he had to track a reciever for too long, he normally failed...
Old 05-21-2010   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I share your concerns Doc, but from the film I have watched he will do better than Dunta in some ways. He will struggle early in others.

The pass rush is a key to it, but I think we did a good job last year in applying pressure but when the qb can find a wide open receiver in under 3 seconds it is going to make everyone look bade. The secondary has to be able to blanket a receiver for 3.5 seconds to give the rush a chance.

I do not think we lost much in that regard when Dunta left. And the rest of our secondary and coaches should be better this year.
What impressed me most about Quinn, and to some extent Reeves, was that they got their hands on the ball often. If we can do that consistently, QBs are going to look off receivers they are currently throwing the ball to.

The reason I think so, is because when that CB can get his hands on the ball (or a LB, we haven't had a LB get his hands on the ball as much as Cushing has in a long, long time), the QB is thinking, "that was almost a pick, I better be careful next time." It gets in his head, like Antonio Smith putting a forearm to the helmet of a QB... he's thinking about you for the rest of the game.

I watched the game last weekend on NFL replay, of our first game against Indy last season. Peyton wasn't worried about throwing an interception for most of the game. I know he threw one... but other than that, it was like we had no one in the secondary at all.
Old 05-21-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Anyways, I always felt like Dunta would have been better with a defense that got consistent pressure and forced teams to get it out quick....His athleticism and aggresive style would work well with a team like that I think....It'll be interesting seeing him this yr. as he'll be that much more recovered from the injury...
I will agree, another year removed from a bad injury, and a long term deal sewn up, Dunta will play more like that guy that brought the wood on every single play. He may even be worth... sorry, I just can't go there.
Old 05-21-2010   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I will agree, another year removed from a bad injury, and a long term deal sewn up, Dunta will play more like that guy that brought the wood on every single play. He may even be worth... sorry, I just can't go there.
I believe that we fans (and the Texans) have been so desparate to have a decent CB out there, that we have tended to evaluate Dunta with an exaggerated positive slant.............. an over-valued slant which has found the ear of some "outsiders." It is to be seen, but I would be totally unsurprised if, on his new team, Dunta is unveiled for what he really is today..........simply a serviceable CB...........with a lot of money.
Old 05-21-2010   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Except he was a guy who didn't want to be here. I have a feeling he dogged it a little last year cause he knew that he would be shown the door. I wouldn't be shocked if he played alot better this year. All he had to do was hang on to ONE INT and he would have been golden.
Old 05-21-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I kinda don't like talking about/evaluating Dunta's game because he's not a Texan anymore, but I guess i talked about Carr for a while after he was gone so....

I do agree with what you're saying though...Coverage wise, Dunta just was not close to being elite...If he had to track a reciever for too long, he normally failed...

Didn't you watch the games last year? Do you forget all the third & shorts that DR gave up? He coulde not cover his man for even 2.5 seconds. Constantly giving a 10 yd cushion on 3rd & 4. We got decent pressure last year, but could not cover for the 3 seconds needed.
Old 05-21-2010   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kinda with Rey. I was in the keep Dunta for another season group. It would not have changed my draft strategy either. Having a good rook CB learn under a decent veteran is very important, IMO. Who do we have to show him the ropes? Reeves? Two 2nd year players?

However, it was obvious Duntas monetary demands weren't close to matching the product he put on the field. I had no problem with him leaving.
Old 05-21-2010   #20
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a man....he's forty.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read