Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-20-2010   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Supplemental Draft

I know most people are sick of all things draft. But there is one last hurdle for you, the Supplemental Draft. I propose that we add all information pertaining to this event in this thread.

Harvey Unga will most likely be entering the draft, after being denied re-admittance to BYU. Unga is a hard nosed back, with underrated speed. I see him as a Gerhart type runner, but not quite up to that level.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=RB

I normally don't like losing picks before the draft, but Unga would be worth the Texans 5th next year.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Supplemental Draft

Didn't Jared Gaither come from the supp draft? Good guys can be had then, it's just they usually have some ridiculously big red flag about them.

I also have nothing to add.
Old 05-21-2010   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Didn't Jared Gaither come from the supp draft? Good guys can be had then, it's just they usually have some ridiculously big red flag about them.

I also have nothing to add.
Ugh I'm still a bit upset that we passed on getting Gaither for a freaking 4th rounder.

Don't have much to say about the running back except I don't see them pulling the trigger on him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unga would be a steal in the 5th rd.

He most likely would be a 3rd rder in the regular draft. I had him rated as a low 2nd rd pick.

Big RB, good speed, great hands and great feet.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a reason these guys do not go to the regular draft. Most times people talk big about getting value but all they get is heartbreak. Remember how several people here wanted the Texans to spend a 3rd or 4th on DT Manual Wright?! Yeah. Thats worked out well.

Sure Gaither has been great and you can find a handful of good players, but there are far more busts than success stories. I say save your picks and take your chances in the REAL draft.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
There is a reason these guys do not go to the regular draft. Most times people talk big about getting value but all they get is heartbreak. Remember how several people here wanted the Texans to spend a 3rd or 4th on DT Manual Wright?! Yeah. Thats worked out well.

Sure Gaither has been great and you can find a handful of good players, but there are far more busts than success stories. I say save your picks and take your chances in the REAL draft.
The only reason Unga is in the draft is he was caught sleeping with his girlfriend. Thus breaking the BYU morality code. (Imagine college students having sex)LOL

Unga has the talent to be a productive RB in the NFL. IMHO

Bernie Kosar,Jamal Williams,Darren Mickell and Gaither would disagree with you.
Old 05-21-2010   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he Samoan?

If so, I'm all for it.
Old 05-21-2010   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If you give up a 5th for this guy your team must be desperate for a RB. I would give a 7th. Maybe you could talk me into a 6th.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If you give up a 5th for this guy your team must be desperate for a RB. I would give a 7th. Maybe you could talk me into a 6th.
You can never have too many backs. Think about it, we have:

Slaton coming off a serious injury, and after a disappointing season.

Tate, a rookie, coming in with hamstring problems. Not saying it is the same, but hamstrings are what kept Jerome Mathis off the field for a long time.

Foster was a UDFA last year, that played well at the end of the season. Sounds like another back in the Texans past who is now no longer part of the team.

Moats, who probably tops out as a journey man type guy. Good depth, but not much after that.

Chris Henry, a complete unknown.

Jeremiah Johnson, also an unknown.

Unga is a big, physical back that gives the Texans yet another player to throw into the mix. If it is a 5th, that is not much to give up.
Old 05-21-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post

Tony Hollings anyone?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Tell me will/have any 5th rd picks made an impact.

Unga has more talent than any 2011 5th rd choice Smithiak can make. IMHO

Has anybody seen 2011 mocks? Bare bones draft at best. Not much help coming from it.

Who has seen Unga play? I watched 2 games last year. He has talent.

Dont let Casserly's Hollins pick scare you away from the supp. draft Smithiak. Unga also is a hgh character guy. Well worth a 5th rd pick. IMHO
Old 05-21-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

Tate, a rookie, coming in with hamstring problems. Not saying it is the same, but hamstrings are what kept Jerome Mathis off the field for a long time.

Foster was a UDFA last year, that played well at the end of the season. Sounds like another back in the Texans past who is now no longer part of the team.

Moats, who probably tops out as a journey man type guy. Good depth, but not much after that.

Unga is a big, physical back that gives the Texans yet another player to throw into the mix. If it is a 5th, that is not much to give up.
I hear ya. But I think you could say that about alot of positions on our team like cornerback. That doesnt mean we should throw away a 4th ona corner in the sup draft.

I guess it just depends on how much value you think he adds to our roster. Personally I am ok if we start week 1 with Slaton, Tate, Foster and Moats.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Tell me will/have any 5th rd picks made an impact.

Unga has more talent than any 2011 5th rd choice Smithiak can make. IMHO

Has anybody seen 2011 mocks? Bare bones draft at best. Not much help coming from it.

Who has seen Unga play? I watched 2 games last year. He has talent.

Dont let Casserly's Hollins pick scare you away from the supp. draft Smithiak. Unga also is a hgh character guy. Well worth a 5th rd pick. IMHO
Exactly. He is a 2nd/3rd round talent who will get screwed because he had to enter the supp. draft.

Although, I disagree a little on the "bare bones" comment about 2011. There is some talent there, but no where near as deep as this past class. And you are right, no 5th round player next year will have Unga's talent.
Old 05-21-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

If you don't draft a Dwyer in 6th or Joique Bell in 7th, I don't see Texans giving a 5th for this guy. I agree never enough backs like CBs, 65 but it ain't happening. I looked hard at this guy when I heard his request to return had been shut down, but realistically can not argue giving up anything above a 6th.
Old 05-21-2010   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If you don't draft a Dwyer in 6th or Joique Bell in 7th, I don't see Texans giving a 5th for this guy. I agree never enough backs like CBs, 65 but it ain't happening. I looked hard at this guy when I heard his request to return had been shut down, but realistically can not argue giving up anything above a 6th.
Cant wait until next years draft so that we can compare Unga to whoever Smithiak pick in rd 4/5.

Realistically Smithiak wont take Unga or anybody else in the supp. draft. Because that's just how they do business.
Old 05-21-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cant wait until next years draft so that we can compare Unga to whoever Smithiak pick in rd 4/5.

Realistically Smithiak wont take Unga or anybody else in the supp. draft. Because that's just how they do business.
How do you compare RB to tight ends? j/k
Old 05-21-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Lol
Old 05-21-2010   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How do you compare RB to tight ends? j/k
Haha, can you imagine if the Texans draft another TE in the middle rounds?

I agree with you on Unga, odds are it is not going to happen.
Old 05-22-2010   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Very seldom has Kubiak in Denver or here used a RB that weighs more than 225lbs. I do not see them using a pick on this kid. We will get the same old Kubiak speech, we are going with the guys who have been here from day one.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #20
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Very seldom has Kubiak in Denver or here used a RB that weighs more than 225lbs. I do not see them using a pick on this kid. We will get the same old Kubiak speech, we are going with the guys who have been here from day one.
Ron Dayne??? He was 245 and lead the Texans in rushing for 2 years playing in 24 games and starting 14.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read