Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2010   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is anybody else excited? RE: The upcoming season

I tell you what, there has been 1 bad thing to happen so far in the offseason. No Cushing for 4 weeks is no bueno, but it's not going to end us before we begin. Sure AJ didn't show up to 2 OTA's but he's going to be here.

What I'm excited about:

1) They are shaking up the O-line. Sure, nobody is excited about Studdard and Meyers being penciled in, but I like that Caldwell is in now. I think we are on the right path with getting the O-line together.

2) Kareem Jackson. Reports saying that he is jumping right in to take over the hole Robinson left gets me pumped. Sure he's a rookie and I'm willing to say he'll make his fair share of rookie mistakes. But I'm liking the pick more and more.

3) Okoye chaning his weight around. Hell do anything to be more effective than Travid Johnson. If him being a lightweight DT helps him penetrate like he did at the start of the 07 season, I say bring on the weight watchers.

4) Slaton. Sure he's still under no contact orders, but he will play and if he is back to being the quick and shifty guy he was then our running game will be better for it.

5) Kubiak. Obviously this is a sore spot with a lot of posters here, but this is the "show me" year. He might have an extension in place but I believe if we ho-hum it through the season again Kubiak will lose the faith of the big man.

In the end the last 2 weeks have brought more media attention to the Texans since 2002. Sure Cushing getting busted sucks, but he will come back. I think the AJ thing is much ado about nothing now that he is reported to be there today. Other than those two bits, I think we are setting up to have a nice season against what people say is a schedule that's too tough.
Old 05-20-2010   #2
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is anybody else excited? RE: The upcoming season

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I tell you what, there has been 1 bad thing to happen so far in the offseason. No Cushing for 4 weeks is no bueno, but it's not going to end us before we begin. Sure AJ didn't show up to 2 OTA's but he's going to be here.

What I'm excited about:

1) They are shaking up the O-line. Sure, nobody is excited about Studdard and Meyers being penciled in, but I like that Caldwell is in now. I think we are on the right path with getting the O-line together.

2) Kareem Jackson. Reports saying that he is jumping right in to take over the hole Robinson left gets me pumped. Sure he's a rookie and I'm willing to say he'll make his fair share of rookie mistakes. But I'm liking the pick more and more.

3) Okoye chaning his weight around. Hell do anything to be more effective than Travid Johnson. If him being a lightweight DT helps him penetrate like he did at the start of the 07 season, I say bring on the weight watchers.

4) Slaton. Sure he's still under no contact orders, but he will play and if he is back to being the quick and shifty guy he was then our running game will be better for it.

5) Kubiak. Obviously this is a sore spot with a lot of posters here, but this is the "show me" year. He might have an extension in place but I believe if we ho-hum it through the season again Kubiak will lose the faith of the big man.

In the end the last 2 weeks have brought more media attention to the Texans since 2002. Sure Cushing getting busted sucks, but he will come back. I think the AJ thing is much ado about nothing now that he is reported to be there today. Other than those two bits, I think we are setting up to have a nice season against what people say is a schedule that's too tough.
Negative responses about the Texans in 3....2....1....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I eagerly await the avalanche.
Old 05-20-2010   #4
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I eagerly await the avalanche.
I can give you the key points in one post...

Kubiak sucks
Mediocrity Lives Here
Can't finish a game
Can't manage a clock
Can't throw a red flag
Can only win when it doesn't matter
Can't win in their own division
Schaub is overrated, makes too many mistakes
Can't get 1 yard running

did I miss one? Oh 1 winning season in 8 years.....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickpatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #5
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 256 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very excited about football season. Despite what I said last week when everything was going downhill, I am still eagerly anticipating this season. This is my first year with season tickets, so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well.
Old 05-20-2010   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I can give you the key points in one post...

Kubiak sucks
Mediocrity Lives Here
Can't finish a game
Can't manage a clock
Can't throw a red flag
Can only win when it doesn't matter
Can't win in their own division
Schaub is overrated, makes too many mistakes
Can't get 1 yard running

did I miss one? Oh 1 winning season in 8 years.....
You could also say that Frank Bush is a garbage DC, he doesn't know how to run a proper scheme.
Mario Williams is overrated
AJ is overpaid
Jacoby is a fumble machine
Slaton hangs out with Jacoby

And so on, however, if you look at the pieces we've lost, compared to the pieces we have gained, I think it's safe to say there will be more competition in TC and all things point to improvement in many areas.
Old 05-20-2010   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What I'm excited about:

Love your optimism and agree but

1. Absolutely nothing to say the starters will not be Brown, Studdard, Myers and Brisiel. Smith can only play in place of LG or Center and until TC and pre-season is here and we see how he does will we know if he will beat out anyone. Kubes really likes both Myers and Studdard and Caldwell did not beat out either or Brisiel. Maybe Caldwell can this season but just as easily may not. Will be interesting to watch.
2. Jackson I am hoping will be very successful but if he is a DR clone and I think he will be, is not exciting to me. It appears so far he is just what Smithiak wanted.
3. Okoye's weight? Well, if that is all it took, shame on the coaches and strength/conditioning coaches.
4. Slaton? 100% agreement here. He has to prove it against an opponent but all early reports as in no contact seem to be great.
5, Kubes? maybe his "prove it" year but I just do not see McNair extending him then buying him out at end of next season.

My optimism?

Tate, although I was a Gerhart guy, Tate may be a very good selection. His bio indicates he is good up the middle with power, strength and good speed. Should make QB and WR even better. He can block.
Slaton may play a completely different role than as the feature back.
Jacoby Jones if he does not have a great season I will be stunned. He and AJ may end up being best twosome in NFL.
OD will have a slow start but a good season.

Adibi will be my sleeper this season. He needs to step up now with Cush out and show why he was drafted. Did not do so last year. Not saying he will start over DIles but needs to have Kubiak praising his efforts.

I think Brice McCain will improve even more @ CB.
Old 05-20-2010   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

What I'm excited about:

1) They are shaking up the O-line. Sure, nobody is excited about Studdard and Meyers being penciled in, but I like that Caldwell is in now. I think we are on the right path with getting the O-line together.I'm excited that they are addressing the OL but I haven't heard much about shaking and I'm sure as hell gonna sit back and wait for some positives on the field from this group. Aside from Caldwell looking like a player there weren't too many last year and about the best change they've made so far this offseason is letting go of Pitts. Givin' this one a big ol' MEH

2) Kareem Jackson. Reports saying that he is jumping right in to take over the hole Robinson left gets me pumped. Sure he's a rookie and I'm willing to say he'll make his fair share of rookie mistakes. But I'm liking the pick more and more.Agreed.

3) Okoye chaning his weight around. Hell do anything to be more effective than Travid Johnson. If him being a lightweight DT helps him penetrate like he did at the start of the 07 season, I say bring on the weight watchers.This actually gives me hope for him. Like, he's aware that he's sucking so he's trying to change something...Idk but I give him a hell of a lot more credit for at least TRYING not to follow Travioli Johnson's footsteps (through the cafeteria)

4) Slaton. Sure he's still under no contact orders, but he will play and if he is back to being the quick and shifty guy he was then our running game will be better for it.Dr. Juke-ll, Mr. Hyde...scares me at best. On one hand you think the kind of talent displayed his rookie year can't be the flash variety. On the other you think maybe the injuries have started taking a toll on his one weapon as a runner or that he won't shake the fumbling issue. That's a giant question mark at best but if everything went perfectly Slaton and Tate will be a running force worthy of supporting the aerial crew.

5) Kubiak. Obviously this is a sore spot with a lot of posters here, but this is the "show me" year. He might have an extension in place but I believe if we ho-hum it through the season again Kubiak will lose the faith of the big man.There are no more mini hurdles. Time to make the big jump.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #9
b0ng
Ooops

I'll address a few things. I think the O-line is going to be shaken up just by the fact that all of the interior positions will have competition. Briesel, Studdard, Meyers, White, Caldwell and Smith are looking to get 3 spots. Right now we have Studdard/Meyers/Caldwell penciled but Briesel, Smith, and White could all grab a spot in pre-season and it wouldn't surprise anybody. I really like Caldwell being penciled as a starter.

With Kubes, oh Kubes. I think he will be on the proverbial hot seat this year. Sure he got an extension but how often do you see a coach get let-go in the NFL? These coaches aren't always at the end of their contract, and I think it's reasonable that he's going to pull out the entire playbook to win each and every week. He's on thin ice make no mistake.

And I like Slaton. I know his future is very undetermined right now but looking at things positively, he can still be a very good back. If he just doesn't fumble he will be improved over last season by so much I would probably pass out.
Old 05-20-2010   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With Kubes, oh Kubes. I think he will be on the proverbial hot seat this year. Sure he got an extension but how often do you see a coach get let-go in the NFL? These coaches aren't always at the end of their contract, and I think it's reasonable that he's going to pull out the entire playbook to win each and every week. He's on thin ice make no mistake.
What I'd like to believe is that McNair is going into the season hoping and expecting a playoff year, but willing to make a change if expectations aren't met. To me "expectations" mean either a playoff season, or a season that's gonna get you the playoffs 9 out of 10 times, but we manage to miss out anyway (see New England - 2008).

I realize this is a stretch, but in some ways, the contract extension/raise could make things a bit easier on ole Bob if and when the time comes to wield the axe. I think most of us agree that Bob has on occasion developed a personal and genuine affection for those in his employ. David Carr was the poster child for this, but I've heard the same thing said about Kubes more than once.

Bob may believe he'd be making it easier on Kubiak if he let him go with a pretty significant financial pillow to break his fall. More importantly that raise/extension he gave Gary may be make it easier on Bob's conscience if he has to cut ties. If McNair really does see 2010 as a make or break year for the HC, it's not like he can throw him any additional jack after the season.

Granted, it's kind of far fetched, but if the Texans let someone go who McNair really likes on a personal level the season after giving them a longer contract than they needed to, for more money than they needed to, it wouldn't be the first time, it's just this time it would be the coach - last time it was the first draft pick in franchise history.
Old 05-20-2010   #11
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i"m excited due to the work stoppage coming soon, appreciate it fellas
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I am completely and unadulterated stoked.....

I do have a problem with Bob McNair being so cheap tho....

Old 05-20-2010   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Love your optimism and agree but

1. Absolutely nothing to say the starters will not be Brown, Studdard, Myers and Brisiel. Smith can only play in place of LG or Center and until TC and pre-season is here and we see how he does will we know if he will beat out anyone. Kubes really likes both Myers and Studdard and Caldwell did not beat out either or Brisiel. Maybe Caldwell can this season but just as easily may not. Will be interesting to watch.
In years past, this is how I would have rated the OL, taking into consideration what Kubiak wants, and what we know we need for this system.

Myers, Brisiel, Brown, Winston, Pitts

Watching those guys play, and having an idea of what a ZBS OL is supposed to do, that is the way I rated them in doing the things a ZBS lineman is supposed to do. Last year, it was

Caldwell, Studdard, Myers, Brown, Winston, White

Myers has been a starter here, not because he is soooo good, but because everybody else really sucked. Now, you can take Myers out of that list of names, and you've got 5 guys who know the system. Add Brisiel, and Smith, that gives you 7 guys who have started in this league (6 of them, last year) 2 of which who can play Center.

Before the end of last season, Myers and Brisiel were the guys who knew the system. Brown and Winston were "learning," I don't see how Kubiak could have started without Myers in the Line-up.

I've got no delusions about Chris Myers being a great athlete. But with the number of guys who know the system now, I think his hold on a starting job is over now.
Old 05-20-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Here's another thing I thought of that could be a positive:

Brian Cushing. Yeah I said it. I said it in Houston, I said it! Brian Cushing has been suspended for 4 games. The positive being, when he comes back he's probably going to have a gigantic chip on his shoulder from all of the garbage the media has said about him for the past 2 weeks.

Do you guys think Brian Cushing might spend the season lighting fools up and beating down chumps to prove he is who he is naturally? I think he will, and that can be a huge positive.
Old 05-20-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Here's another thing I thought of that could be a positive:

Brian Cushing has been suspended for 4 games. The positive being, when he comes back he's probably going to have a gigantic chip on his shoulder from all of the garbage the media has said about him for the past 2 weeks.
I think he's going to seriously contend for leading the league in tackles, even with a 4 game suspension.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read