Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Texans pass rush info from KC Joyner

Here's the latest post at TC Blog:

Talking pass rush with KC Joyner, with (surprising?) Mario Williams numbers

Learned new stuff.

I like asking outsiders to the Texans to provide stuff on the team because it's like new blood. Sometimes I think that because not that many people write about the Texans, we tend to get a group think or stereotypes on players. So it's been fun getting outsiders to share their points of view on things.
Old 05-18-2010   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting Texans pass rush info from KC Joyner

Nice to see some some solid evidence of what most of us think, Mario is a beast.
Old 05-18-2010   #3
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's the latest post at TC Blog:

Talking pass rush with KC Joyner, with (surprising?) Mario Williams numbers

Learned new stuff.

I like asking outsiders to the Texans to provide stuff on the team because it's like new blood. Sometimes I think that because not that many people write about the Texans, we tend to get a group think or stereotypes on players. So it's been fun getting outsiders to share their points of view on things.
All I know is that Mario Williams, 4 years in, is like 1 sack off of where Julius Peppers was his first 4 years and I will take that.

It is uncanny how similar these 2 players are to each other....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I have three commenters who show up and continually complain about Mario Williams not being any good. I wonder if they show up. (And no, as far as I know, none of those commenters are Richard Justice).
Old 05-18-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
All I know is that Mario Williams, 4 years in, is like 1 sack off of where Julius Peppers was his first 4 years and I will take that.

It is uncanny how similar these 2 players are to each other....
Which means he will want Julius Peppers money very soon.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yet more great info, TC! One thing that is never seperated out (probably due to it being complicated to do so) is Antonio Smith's pass rush stats as a DT vs. a DE. I'd be interested in % of plays he lines up at each position, stats from each position, etc. Us fans have come to the conclusion that our DE play if great but our DT pass rush is sub-par. If most of Smith's stats are coming from the DE position and few are from the DT position... then it wouldn't seem to be an effective solution to put him inside. However, if a decent % of his good plays come as a DT, then the added presence of another pass rusher at DE like Barwin should be great. I know this would probably be a pretty intricate exercise and probably why we don't hear much about it.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #7
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Which means he will want Julius Peppers money very soon.
Yup! Especially if he has a double digit sack year and another Pro Bowl appearance...

Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2010   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yet more great info, TC! One thing that is never seperated out (probably due to it being complicated to do so) is Antonio Smith's pass rush stats as a DT vs. a DE. I'd be interested in % of plays he lines up at each position, stats from each position, etc. Us fans have come to the conclusion that our DE play if great but our DT pass rush is sub-par. If most of Smith's stats are coming from the DE position and few are from the DT position... then it wouldn't seem to be an effective solution to put him inside. However, if a decent % of his good plays come as a DT, then the added presence of another pass rusher at DE like Barwin should be great. I know this would probably be a pretty intricate exercise and probably why we don't hear much about it.
I don't have that info, and I'm not sure that I can get it, but check out the defensive tackle post from a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-18-2010   #9
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I watched the replay of the Texans vs Colts game in Indy this past weekend on NFL network( and Kris Brown STILL missed that FG, even on the replay...go figure) and verified something I thought to be true about Smith. Anytime the Texans got a rush on the QB up the middle, it was Smith pushing. Mario got a sack on Manning in that game because they moved Smith down and Smith literally shoved the guard into Manning and threw Manning off balance while Mario came in on the side for the sack.

I bet you dimes to donuts that the highest percentage of pass rush up the middle was because of Smith...

I am hoping they move Smith down, put Barwin on the other DE and put Mitchell, the rookie, next to Smith. If Mitchell has the gap slashing ability that he had at Arizona, he a Smith could reek havoc up the middle for sure.

Old 05-18-2010   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I watched the replay of the Texans vs Colts game in Indy this past weekend on NFL network( and Kris Brown STILL missed that FG, even on the replay...go figure) and verified something I thought to be true about Smith. Anytime the Texans got a rush on the QB up the middle, it was Smith pushing. Mario got a sack on Manning in that game because they moved Smith down and Smith literally shoved the guard into Manning and threw Manning off balance while Mario came in on the side for the sack.

I bet you dimes to donuts that the highest percentage of pass rush up the middle was because of Smith...

I am hoping they move Smith down, put Barwin on the other DE and put Mitchell, the rookie, next to Smith. If Mitchell has the gag slashing ability that he had at Arizona, he a Smith could reek havoc up the middle for sure.
Thanks! That IS really good, hopefully that's an accurate picture of the season. I love how the DE's and DT's feed off each other. Without the ability to step up in the pocket (due to the DT's doing their job), Mario and Barwin's sacks and pressures will see dramatic improvement. Not that they're bad as they are! Same with the DE's pursuing from the outside, forcing the QB to step up... the DT's (theoretically) can get off their block and tackle the QB. Oh how I want a dominant DL like the Giants had during their Super Bowl year!
Old 05-18-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Very interesting to see that the Texans best year in terms of sacks, was the 2-14 season....
Old 05-18-2010   #12
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Very interesting to see that the Texans best year in terms of sacks, was the 2-14 season....
Mmm, can you say garbage time?
Old 05-18-2010   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
9.5 sacks out of 37 coming from the DL with Payne having 4 of those. Peek 7 and Orr 6 led the way. But that was the 3-4 days.

Damn I wish we had 2002 Payne now.
Old 05-18-2010   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
9.5 sacks out of 37 coming from the DL with Payne having 4 of those. Peek 7 and Orr 6 led the way. But that was the 3-4 days.

His career ending injury was very costly. If he never got hurt we may just be barely talking about letting him go. Mario would've been tremendous alot sooner had he had a chance to play with Payne.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

The trend in the second half of last year is a bit encouraging. I am excited to see what impact Connor Barwin has in year 2 and if he can help excelerate that trend.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Stab at DL Depth chart anyone?
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam

Barwin is situational, Cody situational, Mitchell situational, Okoye IS a situation. Okam is just a really, really big guy...

The depth really needs to round out behind the presence of Williams and the grit of Smith. Barwin is doing nicely, I think he'll have a nice year and take a few steps toward reaching his potential as a pass rusher but he's got along way to go for run defense and pass coverage. Okoye I guess is our new Travis Johnson "run stopping" DT. Okoye's new nickname is Okay'e....cuz he's just....okay. Of the rest Mitchell has a little flash people will be looking for but nobody else is expected to do much. We're gonna need more scheme sacks to make an impact as a defense, not just relying on a few dudes to be great individuals.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam
Replace Frank Okam with Deljuan Robinson and you'll get what I think we go with.
Old 05-18-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam

Barwin is situational, Cody situational, Mitchell situational, Okoye IS a situation. Okam is just a really, really big guy...

The depth really needs to round out behind the presence of Williams and the grit of Smith. Barwin is doing nicely, I think he'll have a nice year and take a few steps toward reaching his potential as a pass rusher but he's got along way to go for run defense and pass coverage. Okoye I guess is our new Travis Johnson "run stopping" DT. Okoye's new nickname is Okay'e....cuz he's just....okay. Of the rest Mitchell has a little flash people will be looking for but nobody else is expected to do much. We're gonna need more scheme sacks to make an impact as a defense, not just relying on a few dudes to be great individuals.
Quote:
Replace Frank Okam with Deljuan Robinson and you'll get what I think we go with.
Last year we carried 10 DL. I think we will carry at least 9 this year
Old 05-18-2010   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Damn that New Orleans Astroturf.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read