Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-18-2010   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting article on rookie pass rushers (Texans related)

Producing sacks has not been an easy task for rookie pash rushers in the last three season. Texans fare well with their rooks though with three in the top ten.
They didn't include DT's cause Amobi would have been ranked sixth, I believe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Interesting article on rookie pass rushers (Texans related)

All the Titan people so mad at that evaluation but he's dead on. Titan fans will disagree with him because they saw Kearse go nuts his rookie season but Kirwain said for every one of those guys there's a hundred other rookie DE or LBs that barely get 4-5 sacks. Case in point would be Mario Williams. 4.5 sacks his rookie season, but then that number went to 15, then 11.5, and recently 10 and he's got a Pro Bowl to go with it now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #3
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
All the Titan people so mad at that evaluation but he's dead on. Titan fans will disagree with him because they saw Kearse go nuts his rookie season but Kirwain said for every one of those guys there's a hundred other rookie DE or LBs that barely get 4-5 sacks. Case in point would be Mario Williams. 4.5 sacks his rookie season, but then that number went to 15, then 11.5, and recently 10 and he's got a pair of Pro Bowl's to go with it now.
Fixed for ya ;0
Old 05-18-2010   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Fixed for ya ;0
Thanks. I couldn't remember if it was one or two so I just went with my most recent memory of when he played the Pro Bowl as if it were a real game. It still proves the point though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #5
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Producing sacks has not been an easy task for rookie pash rushers in the last three season. Texans fare well with their rooks though with three in the top ten.
They didn't include DT's cause Amobi would have been ranked sixth, I believe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
This article seems to compare apples to oranges when it comes to pass rushing. A 3-4 OLB will almost always have big sack numbers, if they are decent pass rushers, because the majority of the snaps are going after the QB. DE's have to play the run as well as pass rush. Also, OLB are in a 2 pt stance, rather than the 3 pt, put your hand down, stance. Mario Williams stated before he would rather start in a 2 pt stance because he feels he can see everything better and can get off the ball quicker.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
This article seems to compare apples to oranges when it comes to pass rushing. A 3-4 OLB will almost always have big sack numbers, if they are decent pass rushers, because the majority of the snaps are going after the QB. DE's have to play the run as well as pass rush. Also, OLB are in a 2 pt stance, rather than the 3 pt, put your hand down, stance. Mario Williams stated before he would rather start in a 2 pt stance because he feels he can see everything better and can get off the ball quicker.
OLB's have to play the run too and they have to drop into covg sometimes.

If you look at the top ten sackers from last season, 6 of them are DE's...

I don't know that OLB's really have any more of an advantage other than the fact that most tend to be more athletic than DE's...Schematically though, I don't think they have any more of an advantage
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #7
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
OLB's have to play the run too and they have to drop into covg sometimes.

If you look at the top ten sackers from last season, 6 of them are DE's...

I don't know that OLB's really have any more of an advantage other than the fact that most tend to be more athletic than DE's...Schematically though, I don't think they have any more of an advantage
OLB do not play the run as much, the 3-4 DE and MLBs do more of that however, you do make a point about coverage, so I guess that would kinda cancel out the run stopping duty of the DE...

i have always felt it was an advantage being up than down to rush but I guess the stats say otherwise...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
i have always felt it was an advantage being up than down to rush but I guess the stats say otherwise...
I think that is just based on the individual...I've always felt more comfortable comeing out of a three point stance vs. a two point...I like the fact that in a three point stance I can put pressure on my hands which means I'm already leaning forward and low at the snap...

But I can also see why some would like the two point stance...

Quote:
OLB do not play the run as much
OLB's in the 3-4 have outside contain on a majority of the snaps. And it depends on whether they are the "rush" OLB or the strong side OLB.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read