Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Cushing: What we know, don't know.

Sorry I've been keeping a low profile here but I've been busy. And really, I don't much care for speculative stuff so MB can sometimes be hard for me, though this one is much better than most.

In any event, I put together in one place something that hopes to straighten out what we know from what we don't know about the Cushing thing. I am going to use it as a link in the future to refer people to who get things a little wrong, and I hope that you feel free to do so as well.

I think that there's just a ton of misinformation out there due to the nature of how things happened. Friday night release of info, short Cushing statement, the AP went nuts without hearing any facts, limited release of anonymous sourced info and plenty of gossip, a press conference that asked mostly the wrong questions and then a small amount of information released by Cushing's attorney.

So I tried to straight everything out the best I could given what we know and don't know, and I hope this helps:

Brian Cushing, confirmation bias and caring about real facts

If you have any additional facts, questions or corrections, please let me know and I will update the post.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing: What we know, don't know.

Quote:
If he tested positive for hCG twice early in the season, why didn't this continue to happen if this happened naturally?
This is the big question for me. It's really the only piece of evidence that would lend to Cushing's case at this point.

I'm also wondering how many documented cases there are of male athletes who have undulating levels of hCG due to unidentifiable natural causes. I'm guessing none.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #3
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I GOT IT!!! He's a Hermaphrodite. He's got both male and female parts. Maybe that was the "compelling medical and scientific" data he presented to the league.

http://dailycontributor.com/wp-conte...er_Semenya.jpg
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
This is the big question for me. It's really the only piece of evidence that would lend to Cushing's case at this point.

I'm also wondering how many documented cases there are of male athletes who have undulating levels of hCG due to unidentifiable natural causes. I'm guessing none.
Let's assume that Cushing is telling the truth. He likely has a unique health situation.

How often do men with no symptoms of any kind get their hCG detected at low levels? Don't know the nature of his pituitary issue, but it may be that people with Cushing's medical history aren't in a position to get randomly tested for that hormone. Why would anyone study the natural production of hCG in an otherwise appearing healthy man?
Old 05-16-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Let's assume that Cushing is telling the truth. He likely has a unique health situation.

How often do men with no symptoms of any kind get their hCG detected at low levels? Don't know the nature of his pituitary issue, but it may be that people with Cushing's medical history aren't in a position to get randomly tested for that hormone. Why would anyone study the natural production of hCG in an otherwise appearing healthy man?
Steph

Your PM box is full. Please PM me when its clear.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

All this talk of the pituitary has me wondering if HGH or HGH releasers have anything to do with this.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
All this talk of the pituitary has me wondering if HGH or HGH releasers have anything to do with this.
HGH or HGH releasers do not increase HCG.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2010   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

:

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

iam so sick of this Cushing story to were it has gotten to the point WHo CARES !!!! can we plz talk about something else
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

TC thank you again for being fact based. Not as exciting as the knee jerking but at least it's based on what we know. (Which isn't much.)
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
:

This is not beating a dead horse.

Peter King in today's MMQB states "I don't believe Cushing's tumor defense."

He never said he had a tumor defense.

If a NFL writer can't get basic facts about the matter correct, then who will?

Just because Cushings attorney/agents botched the PR on this, doesn't mean that Texan fans don't deserve to understand basic facts about this. This is a guy who is suspended for 4 games and the Texans have money invested in him.

I'm not debating Cushing guilt or innocence. I am just trying to sort out facts.
Old 05-17-2010   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not beating a dead horse.

Peter King in today's MMQB states "I don't believe Cushing's tumor defense."

He never said he had a tumor defense.

If a NFL writer can't get basic facts about the matter correct, then who will?

Just because Cushings attorney/agents botched the PR on this, doesn't mean that Texan fans don't deserve to understand basic facts about this. This is a guy who is suspended for 4 games and the Texans have money invested in him.

I'm not debating Cushing guilt or innocence. I am just trying to sort out facts.
Exactly. Cushing said his "source" (assuming to be a doctor) told him that his situation could be caused by injection or a tumor. Cushing then said, he knows he never injected or ingested this stuff so he played the rest of the season thinking he had a tumor. He never said he had a tumor. He never said a tumor was causing this. All he said is that based on the two options the source gave him, he was scared it was a tumor. He says he doesn't know what is causing this, just that he was told a tumor may have been the culprit and at that time he was running on the assumption that's what it could have been.

There is way too much "twisting of words" here that peoples' opinions are now becoming 'facts'. Thanks for your part in sorting this out TC.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Exactly. Cushing said his "source" (assuming to be a doctor) told him that his situation could be caused by injection or a tumor. Cushing then said, he knows he never injected or ingested this stuff so he played the rest of the season thinking he had a tumor. He never said he had a tumor. He never said a tumor was causing this. All he said is that based on the two options the source gave him, he was scared it was a tumor. He says he doesn't know what is causing this, just that he was told a tumor may have been the culprit and at that time he was running on the assumption that's what it could have been.

There is way too much "twisting of words" here that peoples' opinions are now becoming 'facts'. Thanks for your part in sorting this out TC.
I liked what Adam Wexler said about the situation on Twitter. That it was easier to sort out the final season of Lost.
Old 05-17-2010   #14
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

The source of the tumor thing is from the NFL. It sends out a letter stating that hCG spikes can be caused by tumors. Cushing never said he had a tumor. Peter King can hardly do anything but drool...it's not surprising that fat loaf can't read.
Old 05-17-2010   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
The source of the tumor thing is from the NFL. It sends out a letter stating that hCG spikes can be caused by tumors. Cushing never said he had a tumor. Peter King can hardly do anything but drool...it's not surprising that fat loaf can't read.
Email his letter bag. Everyone. If you are on Twitter, tweet him. Politely correct him. Politely ask him to report more basic details from Cushing's attorney. That information might not be accurate, but at least it would be Cushing's actual defense.

I suggest you be polite because you are more likely going to get an answer than if you call him a coffee-chugging fatass or something.

Stay classy, but definitely email him to correct the MMQB. Show that you care that he gets facts correct. We don't know all the details of what went on but what we do know is that his defense wasn't based on tumors:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/index.html

The email link is at the top of the column and the Cushing thing is on Page 5.
Old 05-17-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I realize it is unfair for me to think Cush would act as I would in this type of situation but here are questions I have.

1. Having a history of allegations of a history of abuse, why did he not submit to NFL everything he admits to putting in his body "just in case" prior to game one? At least he could show an attempt to work within guidelines even though HCG would not have been on the list as he did not use it.

2. Why did you allow McNair and Kubiak to get blindsided by this? Your agent works for you. Maybe Texans could have made suggestions. Even if your guys are telling you that the appeal will be in your favor, a heads up would have been appreciated.

3. As the test results were pretty vague and if one NFL doctor said Cushing's position was plausible, why the 4 game suspension. We do not know if NFL agrees with Cushing's assertion on doctor's disagreement.
Old 05-17-2010   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Email his letter bag. Everyone. If you are on Twitter, tweet him. Politely correct him. Politely ask him to report more basic details from Cushing's attorney. That information might not be accurate, but at least it would be Cushing's actual defense.

I suggest you be polite because you are more likely going to get an answer than if you call him a coffee-chugging fatass or something.

Stay classy, but definitely email him to correct the MMQB. Show that you care that he gets facts correct. We don't know all the details of what went on but what we do know is that his defense wasn't based on tumors:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/index.html

The email link is at the top of the column and the Cushing thing is on Page 5.
I have emailed him and let him know that the media is putting words into Cushing's mouth and that he never said he had tumors but feared he may have tumors. Big difference. I wouldn't expect him to say anything that might be construed as being sympathetic towards Cushing or giving him any iota of benefit of the doubt though.
Old 05-17-2010   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I realize it is unfair for me to think Cush would act as I would in this type of situation but here are questions I have.

1. Having a history of allegations of a history of abuse, why did he not submit to NFL everything he admits to putting in his body "just in case" prior to game one? At least he could show an attempt to work within guidelines even though HCG would not have been on the list as he did not use it.

2. Why did you allow McNair and Kubiak to get blindsided by this? Your agent works for you. Maybe Texans could have made suggestions. Even if your guys are telling you that the appeal will be in your favor, a heads up would have been appreciated.

3. As the test results were pretty vague and if one NFL doctor said Cushing's position was plausible, why the 4 game suspension. We do not know if NFL agrees with Cushing's assertion on doctor's disagreement.
1. He said that everything he puts in his body is stuff approved by the Texans

2. He told them that he had an "issue" with the league. He said he thought they were going to win their appeal. His attorney told him not to say anything. Usually listening to your attorney Is A Good Thing.

3. If you break the policy, it is an automatic 4 game suspension. No wiggle room. He tested positive twice last year but only one test counted because both samples matched.
Old 05-17-2010   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

When I read Cushing's comments in Houston paper saying he was told the substance could be caused by a tumor and that he had already had a pituitary gland problem, plus saying he thought he may be playing football for his last season, I thought he was saying he might have a tumor.
Old 05-17-2010   #20
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
When I read Cushing's comments in Houston paper saying he was told the substance could be caused by a tumor and that he had already had a pituitary gland problem, plus saying he thought he may be playing football for his last season, I thought he was saying he might have a tumor.
The "source" of the tumor language is a letter sent by the NFL saying that tumors can cause the hCG levels on a test. Since Cushing didn't inject anything, he THOUGHT he MIGHT have a tumor. Never said he had one, which isn't what Peter King and Mike Florio and other hacks have been saying.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read