Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2010   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default QB Concerns

As you know Matt is the starting QB for the Texans. I do have a concern though and my worry is there is not any project QB onnn the roster. In fivre, six years from now Matt will be at the end of his career without taking a career ending injury into account before then. Are the Texans just going to trust Dan if Matt goes down for any certain amount time? They shouldn't. Dan may or may not be good but has yet to amount to a whole lot in the NFL thus far. I don't know about you but I would not put all my hope and faith in a guy who has not played well or been on the field thus far in his career. A turn around is not easy in pro sports. I think the Texans should draft a young gun QB for when Matt does retire or just in case something happen to him because you just never know. This is simply food for thought. The Texans do not have great QB depth by any means and it should be addressed.
Old 05-15-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QB Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
As you know Matt is the starting QB for the Texans. I do have a concern though and my worry is there is not any project QB onnn the roster. In fivre, six years from now Matt will be at the end of his career without taking a career ending injury into account before then. Are the Texans just going to trust Dan if Matt goes down for any certain amount time? They shouldn't. Dan may or may not be good but has yet to amount to a whole lot in the NFL thus far. I don't know about you but I would not put all my hope and faith in a guy who has not played well or been on the field thus far in his career. A turn around is not easy in pro sports. I think the Texans should draft a young gun QB for when Matt does retire or just in case something happen to him because you just never know. This is simply food for thought. The Texans do not have great QB depth by any means and it should be addressed.
Are you forgetting Booty and Tyler Sheehan? I think they qualify as project QBs. Not to mention Orlovsky
Old 05-15-2010   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Are you forgetting Booty and Tyle Sheehan? I think they qualify as project QBs. Not to mention Orlovsky
Tyle and Booty have been with the Texans for not too long so they do count. I am not a huge fan of Orlovsky though.
Old 05-15-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Tyle and Booty have been with the Texans for not too long so they do count. I am not a huge fan of Orlovsky though.
Tyler Sheehan just signed as an UDFA. He had a tremendous college career though and I tink he is a good project QB. Orlovsky has the skills if he can put it all together.

edit: You have to remember, it takes about 3 years to fully learn Kubes system. And he is an outstanding teacher
Old 05-15-2010   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't how many teams draft a QB to groom for 5 or 6 years to eventually take over as the starter. If a QB is on one team for that long, he's probably a career backup.

5 or 6 years is too far to think ahead in the NFL. Once a QB starts nearing the end, a good NFL team will draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom for a year or two.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Tyler Sheehan just signed as an UDFA. He had a tremendous college career though and I tink he is a good project QB. Orlovsky has the skills if he can put it all together.

edit: You have to remember, it takes about 3 years to fully learn Kubes system. And he is an outstanding teacher
This is funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqImkuLVw8
Old 05-15-2010   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't suprised that no QB was taken this year. Although the regime isn't holding on thier nails, the need to win now. Since before this years draft my thought was they would take someone around the 3rd or 4th in the 2011 draft.
Old 05-15-2010   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of teams have "QB concerns". If they're #1 went down, they're pretty much screwed.

Bears: Cutler, Brett Basanez, LeFevour
Bengals: Palmer, J.T. O'Sullivan, Jordan Palmer
Bills: Edwards, Brohm, Fitzpatrick
Broncos: Orton,Quinn,Tebow,Brandstater
Browns: Delhomme, Wallace, Ratliff, McCoy
Bucs: Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson, Rudy Carpenter, Jevan Snead
Cardinals: Leinart, Anderson
Chargers: Rivers, Volek, Crompton
Chiefs: Cassel, Croyle, Matt Gutierrez
Colts: Manning, Painter
Cowboys: Romo, Kitna, McGee
Dolphins: Henne, Pennington, Thigpen, White
Eagles: Kolb, Vick, Kafka
Falcons: Ryan, Redman, Shockley, Parker Wilson
49ers: Smith, Carr, Nate Davis
Giants: Manning, Jim Sorgi, Rhett Bomar
Jags: Garrard, McCown
Jets: Sanchez, Clemens, Ainge,Kevin O'Connell
Lions: Stafford, Stanton, Shaun Hill
Packers: Rodgers, Matt Flynn
Panthers: Moore, Clausen, Pike
Patriots: Brady, Hoyer, Zac Robinson
Raiders: Campbell, Boller, Frye, Gradkowksi
Rams: Bradford, Feely, Keith Null
Ravens: Flacco, Smith, John Beck
Redskins: McNabb, Grossman, Colt Brennan
Saints: Brees, Chase Daniel, Sean Canfield
Seahawks: Hasselback, Whitehurst
Steelers: Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Dixon, Batch
Texans: Schaub, Orlovsky, David Booty
Titans: Young, Collins, Simms
Vikings: Favre, Jackson, Rosenfels
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

So, basically backup QB is not too much of a matter in the NFL.
Old 05-15-2010   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Man there are a lot of terrible back up QB's.

When was the last time a backup QB won the Superbowl? Tom Brady?
Old 05-15-2010   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Ehh I dont know. Some teams have what I considered capable #2s. Others dont for whatever reasons. Others dont even have a #1 at all, heh.
Old 05-15-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans usually react the following year based on needs. this past year they discovered they needed to address RB early this year will depend on Schaubs health, if someone can't back him up the Texans will suffer & react next draft
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the Texans usually react the following year based on needs. this past year they discovered they needed to address RB early this year will depend on Schaubs health, if someone can't back him up the Texans will suffer & react next draft
I have noticed this.
Old 05-15-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Billy Volek and Chad Pennington. Anybody else that is not a #1 (and a few of the #1's heh heh heh) you're screwed if they have to start for a huge stretch of the season.

That is of course, just like, my opinion man.
Old 05-15-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see the Texans drafting a QB next year, depending of course on the development of the Qbs already on the roster- Orlovsky, Booty, and Sheehan
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #16
J_R
Hall of Fame

Orlovsky going into the 2nd year of a 3 year deal he signed. (3 years 9 mil).

They'll probably stick it out with him til that 3rd year.
Old 05-15-2010   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Then he will go team hopping again.
Old 05-15-2010   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

A future sceniro

Matt plays like 7 more years with 3 superbowl rings under his belt then suffers a injury on the 7th year buy thY time booty would be gone And dank would bee gone had well during the 4th year by this time we would have already snagged a young rookie qb prospect
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
A future sceniro

Matt plays like 7 more years with 3 superbowl rings under his belt then suffers a injury on the 7th year buy thY time booty would be gone And dank would bee gone had well during the 4th year by this time we would have already snagged a young rookie qb prospect
I hope you are right.
Old 05-15-2010   #20
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 74627 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
A lot of teams have "QB concerns". If they're #1 went down, they're pretty much screwed.
Well, not every team would be screwed. The Vikes have this amazing athlete:

Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read