Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Can Orlovsky win 1 game if need be?
yes -he is a good backup qb 39 73.58%
no -bad qb 0-16 at Detroit and 0- with Texans. 14 26.42%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2010   #1
small nizzle
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle small nizzle
Default Can Dan Orlovsky win 1 NFL game?

If Matt Schaub gets a sprained pinky toe, can Orlovsky step in and win 1 game? I ask this because Im under the impression that Matt may stub a toe in the kitchen and Texans miss the playoffs. Every year many teams miss playoffs because of 1 game. If Matt misses 1 game, it might be the difference in making or missing playoffs.

I still cant figure out why this team will not draft a qb in 1-3 rounds .
small nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can Dan Orlovsky win 1 NFL game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by small nizzle View Post
If Matt Schaub gets a sprained pinky toe, or eye lash in eye, can Orlovsky step in and win 1 game? I ask this because Im under the impression that Matt may stub a toe in the kitchen and Texans miss the playoffs. Every year many teams miss playoffs because of 1 game. If Matt misses 1 game, it might be the difference in making or missing playoffs.

Schaub ain't got a small nizzle. He's a tough football player.
Old 05-15-2010   #3
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm.

Rex beat out Dan O for #2 job. Rex played in one of the Jacksonville games, looked horrific. What, if anything, is that to say about Dan O? I'll just say, I think we're in trouble if Dan O. sees the field in the reg. season. Unless of course it's a "blowout" or we're resting players late in the season.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Matt Schaub gets a sprained pinky toe, or eye lash in eye, can Orlovsky step in and win 1 game? I ask this because Im under the impression that Matt may stub a toe in the kitchen and Texans miss the playoffs. Every year many teams miss playoffs because of 1 game. If Matt misses 1 game, it might be the difference in making or missing playoffs.

Is this a serious post?
Old 05-15-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I think with the offense around Dan O, he could win a game.

Carr won games with almost no surrounding cast, now the team has Johnson, Jones, Walter, Tate and Slate, Daniels, and a lot of good little role players.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #6
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

The poll is too black and white. There needs to be a "couple wins, but won't lead us to the promise land" option.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've seen, I would say no. Dan Orlovsky cannot win a game. He could manage a game where his team plays well enough to win. But, being the difference maker in a NFL game? I don't think so.

I'm disappointed that Kubiak couldn't find a young QB to groom out of this (or any other) draft. Other than his physical gifts, I don't see what he sees in Dan Orlovsky. And I think it could spell disaster if Schaub is out for multiple games (with this schedule). Which is why I'm secretly hoping that Favre returns to Minnesota, and the Vikings find it in their heart to trade Rosenfels back to the Texans.

Oops. I guess it's not a secret anymore.
Old 05-15-2010   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
The poll is too black and white. There needs to be a "couple wins, but won't lead us to the promise land" option.
Yeah, I couldn't vote just for that reason...

It needs a "I think he can win a game, but we still need to find someone with more upside at that position".
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dan O. is our QB for Gary to groom. I think Smithiak thinks Schaub can hold it together while O. gets more training & experience in the Texans system. The GM saw enough to offer the guy a pretty decent amount of moolah to ride the bench. So far Kubes is 0-1 on Texans QBs he thought he could improve. At least the present one will not be as expensive if he does not get it together.
Old 05-15-2010   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay_Me_Rick View Post
If Dan O gets anywhere near the field, the Texans are eff'd. No reason to believe otherwise.
As with most every NFL team regarding losing their starter...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #11
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Schaub ain't got a small nizzle. He's a tough football player.
Rep!!!

Old 05-15-2010   #12
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 104065 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about an honest poll choice? Nobody has any idea if he's good, bad or indifferent. The Lions could make anyone look bad and we've never handed him the reigns in THIS offense. It's a crapshoot.
Old 05-15-2010   #13
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
From what I've seen, I would say no. Dan Orlovsky cannot win a game. He could manage a game where his team plays well enough to win. But, being the difference maker in a NFL game? I don't think so.

I'm disappointed that Kubiak couldn't find a young QB to groom out of this (or any other) draft. Other than his physical gifts, I don't see what he sees in Dan Orlovsky. And I think it could spell disaster if Schaub is out for multiple games (with this schedule). Which is why I'm secretly hoping that Favre returns to Minnesota, and the Vikings find it in their heart to trade Rosenfels back to the Texans.

Oops. I guess it's not a secret anymore.
Orlovsky has a cannon....unfortunately he will forever be known as the guy who gave himself a safety.
Old 05-15-2010   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. There are doormats every year and there's enough surrounding talent to to carry a bad QB through a win against an awful team.
Old 05-15-2010   #15
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Is this a serious post?
Hes a noob.
Old 05-15-2010   #16
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope everyone is ready to put on their o-faces when orvlosky wows us all
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #17
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

The pooll needs a choice like, "yes he can win a game in the NFL, but I wouldn't want him to be the starter or anything."
Old 05-15-2010   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Runoutofboundski has a good arm, but has his time under Kubiak given him the ability to use it wisely? Unless they bring in a veteran QB to back up Schaub, he's our number 2 guy and will see a lot of action in preseason. We'll know more then.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last year we took Cushing at 15, Connor Barwin at 46 and Antoine Caldwell at 77. The QBs taking between 15 and 77 were at 17, Josh Freeman and at 44 Pat White. Not anyone worth drafting at 15 over Cushing.

This season we needed a starting CB, a starting RB, and a rotational DT a lot more than a guy that should be on the bench for a few years.

Your concern about Orlovsky is justified, but signing a veteran FA is the safe way to go. Someone like Mark Bulger.

Schaub is only 28, and coming into his prime, a top 100 pick at QB would be wasted for another year or two. But a last day pick next year would be OK IMO.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32527 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Last year we took Cushing at 15, Connor Barwin at 46 and Antoine Caldwell at 77. The QBs taking between 15 and 77 were at 17, Josh Freeman and at 44 Pat White. Not anyone worth drafting at 15 over Cushing.

This season we needed a starting CB, a starting RB, and a rotational DT a lot more than a guy that should be on the bench for a few years.

Your concern about Orlovsky is justified, but signing a veteran FA is the safe way to go. Someone like Mark Bulger.

Schaub is only 28, and coming into his prime, a top 100 pick at QB would be wasted for another year or two. But a last day pick next year would be OK IMO.
I think that it is very likely that after the OTA's, if Kubiak is not convinced that the backup qb is on the roster, then he will sign on of the vets out there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read