Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-10-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Big Ten reportedly offers membership to Mizzou, Notre Dame, Nebraska, & Rutgers

The Big Ten Conference has offered membership to Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Rutgers with designs on expanding to 14 or 16 schools, according to a report on the website of Kansas City radio station.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Big Ten reportedly offers membership to Mizzou, Notre Dame, Nebraska, & Rutgers

Of course they go after the only two decent Big 12 North teams.

Notre Dame will shoot them down, but Rutgers might take it.
Old 05-10-2010   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Ten reportedly offers membership to Mizzou, Notre Dame, Nebraska, & Rutgers

I know the Big Ten is talking about expanding to 14or 16, which is think is a complete some screen. IMO they're probably really only interested in expanding to 12. Just sounds better if you're shooting higher and only get one of those teams to move.

Most realistically I think Rutgers will be the team to accept and that's the market the Big 10 wants to expand to.

I doubt ND moves to a conference. They've got too a good TV deal to back out of or I am not sure the Big 10 TV deal will match.

Geographically Nebraska makes sense. But, why would Nebraska want to move from the weak Big 12 North into what would likely be a strong Big 10 conference? Nebraska looks pretty set to dominate the Big 12 North for a while and looks like they might be accumulating the talent to really compete with the power houses in the South. I really think Pelini has done an excellent job.

Mizzou is in an area the Big 10 likely wants to move into (St. Louis) and geographically makes decent sense. Again I just got to wonder if they will make the break because of the situation in the Big 12 North. Nebraska aside it doesn't look like anyone will run away with it anytime soon. Besides they'll always have to schedule a game with Kansas whether they are in the Big 12 or not.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Notre Dame isn't moving anywhere and I don't blame them. They have a pretty good setup right now.

I don't think Nebraska moves.

I think only one team will make the move and I think it will eventually be Rutgers.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #5
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

so whats the deal with ND? why are they not in a conference? how is it decided who they will play each year / are there any teams they consistently play each season like teams who are in a conference do?
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
so whats the deal with ND? why are they not in a conference? how is it decided who they will play each year / are there any teams they consistently play each season like teams who are in a conference do?
They are an Independent. They get to choose their own schedule because they don't have a conference although they play rivalry games every year with Michigan, USC, Michigan State, Stanford & Boston College. They also play Purdue almost every year or every other year and play Pittsburgh quite often. They've also played Washington quite a bit lately.

However, they also schedule service teams quite often. They've played Navy something like 40+ years in a row and play Army and Air Force quite often.

In the end they play a pretty decent schedule because they play a lot of BCS teams, but they are rarely in the top 25 in toughest schedules.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #7
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

nebraska.mizzou,and rutgers will go
no way notre dame is sharing all that money with anyone else!
Old 05-11-2010   #8
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
They are an Independent. They get to choose their own schedule because they don't have a conference although they play rivalry games every year with Michigan, USC, Michigan State, Stanford & Boston College. They also play Purdue almost every year or every other year and play Pittsburgh quite often. They've also played Washington quite a bit lately.

However, they also schedule service teams quite often. They've played Navy something like 40+ years in a row and play Army and Air Force quite often.

In the end they play a pretty decent schedule because they play a lot of BCS teams, but they are rarely in the top 25 in toughest schedules.
so generally ND will approach a team and say hey we want to play you this upcoming season - and since it's ND - the team normally accepts?
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
so generally ND will approach a team and say hey we want to play you this upcoming season - and since it's ND - the team normally accepts?
Yep, because the last couple years its been a guaranteed win (for decent teams).
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Dickie back on his drugs or off his meds as the case may be, or is there something behind this article??

What lucky conference will land the Longhorns? UH? Not so much.

Quote:
We know two things. First, Texas is the No. 1 school on every conference's wish list. Second, when the shuffling ends, UH fans will wonder why a school with no facilities, attendance or money got passed over yet again.

Now if UH hoops James Dickey starts offering Spanish classes to administrators around the nation, something might get done. Any of you parents having trouble getting your kid through those pesky foreign-language requirements should phone Coach Dickey and see if he knows a man who knows a man.

UH AD Mack Rhoades would like me to point out that the NCAA considers James Dickey clean. I say if the NCAA considers James Dickey as clean as Bob Huggins and John Calipari, then we should all get off his back.

Hey, graduation rates are important, and if Coach Dickey needs to get a kid a little help, who are we to argue?

We fuss when coaches don't graduate their kids, and then we fuss about how they graduate them. Some of us are never happy.

Texas and Texas A&M are headed for either the SEC or the Pac 10. All that remains to be settled is the timing and how the rest of the Big 12 will be divided up.

The SEC offers more money and prestige than the Pac 10, but personally, I'd rather play Oregon and Arizona instead of Georgia and Tennessee. I can't imagine Mack Brown is rooting for a move to the SEC.

In the Big 12, he has almost guaranteed victories against Baylor, A&M, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas and other also-rans. Maybe the Longhorns are a bad example. Lately, Oklahoma has barely put up a fight against the Longhorns. Perhaps as part of the agreement Texas can play Vandy and Mississippi State every year.

No, UH fan, you're not getting a game with the Longhorns. Don't call us, we'll call you. Go finish your Spanish homework. What's that? There isn't any Spanish homework? You're saying Coach Dickey is a nice man? Now that's sweet.

It's impossible to know how it's going to play out, but the telephone lines surely are burning up today as deals are struck and conference reworked. See you in Starkville.
Old 05-11-2010   #11
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Justice is a firetrucking idjit.. sorry for cursing.

But really, when he does his tongue-in-cheek blogs or articles, it seems he forgets that sarcasm doesn't play well through print when you can't sell it with emoticons or extended periods as we can on message boards.

I know he's not as big an asshat as he comes off as when he writes but he's still a huge doucher in my book.

As for expansion, I really don't think Notre Dame is going to cave in to the Big 10's overtures unless they get Pitt, Rutgers, and another prominent Big East school to join and really take the Big East's prestige down. If this was to happen, I see Mizzou jumping ship to the Big 10 to make it the Big 10*, Colorado and Utah going to the Pac 10**, and TCU joining the Big 12, somehow ridiculously put into the North division.

Other than that happening or the supposed 'super-conference' seismic shift where everything becomes a massive clusterf*ck, I don't think there will be a whole lot of change for a while.

* 10 = 16
** 10 = 12

Last edited by pbat488; 05-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Is Dickie back on his drugs or off his meds as the case may be, or is there something behind this article??

What lucky conference will land the Longhorns? UH? Not so much.
Makes no sense. Then again, it is a RJ article.

Personally I'm on a RJ boycott. Sooner people stop clicking on his links/articles the sooner the Chron just might realize what a hack writer he is and fire his punk ass.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Big Ten reportedly offers membership to Mizzou, Notre Dame, Nebraska, & Rutgers

While ND has scoffed us for years, there's apparently some kind of unrest with their bball conference so they may have to join a conference due to that.

Reported to me by a guy in my office as discussed on the Cowherd show.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #14
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Reported to me by a guy in my office as discussed on the Cowherd show.
Hey, I think that's John McClain's source!!!
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well they play half their games as yearly rivalry games and then the others are with service academies or teams they approach that will make serious bank if they accept an offer to play them.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #16
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Dick Justice is a douche and he's proud of it.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Dick Justice is a douche and he's proud of it.
yep, I don't click it anymore. I used to read it and comment, then I went to laughing to realizing that I do nothing but help him, If I click it.. so I don't even bother and I have been better ever since
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
yep, I don't click it anymore. I used to read it and comment, then I went to laughing to realizing that I do nothing but help him, If I click it.. so I don't even bother and I have been better ever since

Abstinance from dick = good for the soul...
Old 05-11-2010   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Justice is probably right.

If Nebraska and Mizzou leave, strength of schedule will take a hit across the board in whats left of the Big XII, and with Stoops' and Brown's reluctance to play tougher non-conference opponents an undefeated Big XII team could easily get shafted in favour of an undefeated SEC or Big 10 team. Add to that the fact that the Big 10 Network has been a huge success, and it's possible that UT could look for greener pastures.

What benefit does Texas get from beating up on Baylor, OSU, Tech and the aggies every year? The addition of TCU and another would help but the conference would be significantly weaker overall, with the North being an absolute joke.

I think that academics will keep Texas from joining the SEC, but a move of OU and UT to the Pac 10 would work.

All I know is that if Nebraska and Mizzou leave the Big XII the dominos will start to fall.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

They were talking on 1560the game this afternoon that TCU and either BYU or Boise State could join the big 12. If that happened they could move Oklahoma to the North to help balance a bit...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read