Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2010   #1
S4DF
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 S4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performer
Default Juice in the NFL

Without reading the entire 50-page Cushing thread, I can assume that there are many people in the Houston area that are re-evaluating their stance on steroids, Cushing himself, and the rules of the NFL. Let me be the first to tell you, his violation WAS for anabolic steroids and do NOT be a doofus who believes the age-old excuse from the player that is was "a non-steroidal supplement" that he "unknowingly took."

Cushing juiced. Most of us knew he was a juice head before he even played at USC, but anyone with doubts were soon made certain after he came back from injury in college. To think that he would enter then NFL and quit his cycling is just ridiculous.

For those of you who like to view the league with rosey colored glasses, you may want to stop reading now. This post contains spoilers. OK, if you're still reading, then let's get one thing straight: 90% of the NFL uses steroids. This is not an exact number, and I cannot prove my statistics, but nobody can prove me wrong either, so let's not get caught up in the numbers. The flat fact is, when you have the ability to earn millions of dollars by playing well against people who are in the 400lb bench press club, you're probably gonna drop $300.00 and get on some steroids. High school kids do it, so why wouldn't NFL players?

The reward far outweighs the risk. If Shawne Merriman can win a sack title and a defensive player of the year award while reaping the benefits of anabolics, and the consequence is a 4-game suspension, then you can bet he's gonna juice up because that cycle will be worth 2 or 3 more big contracts for him. Five years from now, when it's time for Cushing to sign his 2nd or 3rd contract, do you think the prospective teams will remember this suspension? Hell no, they'll remember how good he was as a rookie, again while on steroids. Just one season with that added strength and decreased recovery time will make a good player great, and it allows the outside world to view a player's potential in a whole different light. Until there's a true death penalty (lifetime ban) for steroids, players will use them to their heart's content and laugh off the suspensions.

Don't be silly and don't be naive- the league is far, far dirtier than NFL Network gives it credit for, and if we only knew the half of it, we'd probably have more to talk about, pharmaceutically than we do athletically.

I am not making a case to forgive Brian Cushing, but I am just saying, he didn't cheat because he was playing on an even field with all the other steroid users. The New England Patriots cheated but didn't break the law. Cushing broke the law, but didn't cheat.

One day, this whole thing might bust open and we'll all know for sure just how rampant steroid use is in the NFL. Believing that only the vast minority of the NFL use steroids is literally like believing that WWF wrestling isn't fake. Once it hits home, i.e. a hometown player makes national news for violating, you really start thinking about it, and if I have a point to make, it's just that- I don't know where I stand on the issue, I just believe it should be thought about more. Steroids are a huge part of football, and the subject is brushed under the rug with more fervor than OJ and with a bigger broom than LT.

It's a league problem, but the league blames individuals.
S4DF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Juice in the NFL

Cushing had a statement that it was not steroidal
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4DF View Post
. Let me be the first to tell you, his violation WAS for anabolic steroids
And you know this how? And your credibility comes fom where?
Old 05-08-2010   #4
S4DF
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 S4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performerS4DF is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Cushing had a statement that it was not steroidal
Have you ever heard of any athlete who tested positive for a "banned, performance-enhancing substance" ADMIT that it was anabolic steroids?

Hell no.
ALL of them say that it was something else. Something that was an honest mistake, or some supplement that they took had a banned substance that was an ingredient, and they didn't know, or something like that. They never admit it. Any injection- they thought it was vitamin B-12. Any pill- they thought it was a salt tablet.

I think I've heard of one time when a guy just admitted his guilt rather than going with the cliche slew of repeated excuses. Louis Castillo, who plays for the Chargers, admitted his steroid use.

Come on man. You and I both know that Cushing is one of the most obvious cases in a long, long time.
Old 05-08-2010   #5
S4DF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And you know this how? And your credibility comes fom where?
I'm not here to make personal friends and discuss my real life, friends, and chain of information.

I'm here to discuss football, and something has happened in the world of the Houston Texans that was interesting to me.

And I'll say again, Come ON. Let's be honest here. This isn't one of those mystery cases that could go either way.
Old 05-08-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not here to make personal friends and discuss my real life, friends, and chain of information.

I'm here to discuss football, and something has happened in the world of the Houston Texans that was interesting to me.

And I'll say again, Come ON. Let's be honest here. This isn't one of those mystery cases that could go either way.
Really? Your'e Judge, Jury & executioner all rolled into one? Like Wyatt Earp?

Get off your higher than thou platform and admit reality. You do not know more than anyone else. It is all conjuecture at this point.
Old 05-08-2010   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I can save you some discussion

everything is in here even a doctor that commented on what steroids will do to the body along with other things in this thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71773
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2010   #8
S4DF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I can save you some discussion

everything is in here even a doctor that commented on what steroids will do to the body along with other things in this thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71773
While I thank you for the response, I was already aware of that thread, and I'm not looking to make an additional Cushing thread. I'm talking about steroids in the NFL in general.

And I find it surprising that anybody would read what I wrote and post a response in defense of Cushing. I did not condemn Brian Cushing, I simply posed the problem that faces the entire league.

But I'm not going to argue about WHAT Cushing tested positive for because there's only one possibility. He's the most blatant steroid user since Tony Mandarich and whether his test was deemed a failure due to the actual roids or masking agents, or anything else, it happened because he used steroids. If you don't believe that, then you're nuts, and you probably think that John Cena can beat up Mike Tyson and Adam Sandler would make a great NFL quarterback.
Old 05-08-2010   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
While I thank you for the response, I was already aware of that thread, and I'm not looking to make an additional Cushing thread. I'm talking about steroids in the NFL in general.

And I find it surprising that anybody would read what I wrote and post a response in defense of Cushing. I did not condemn Brian Cushing, I simply posed the problem that faces the entire league.

But I'm not going to argue about WHAT Cushing tested positive for because there's only one possibility. He's the most blatant steroid user since Tony Mandarich and whether his test was deemed a failure due to the actual roids or masking agents, or anything else, it happened because he used steroids. If you don't believe that, then you're nuts, and you probably think that John Cena can beat up Mike Tyson and Adam Sandler would make a great NFL quarterback.
Awfully bold dude. Can you back any of this spurious BS up? I think you are talking out your ass and do not have a clue. I am not defending Cushing, because I do not know the story yet. Neither do you! "for you to go so profoundly where no man has gone before makes you just an attention grabbing whore that is perfectly fine with slandering someone else's name so you can try to establish yourself. Where are you trolling from btw?
Old 05-08-2010   #10
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with your general point BUT I do not think Cushing stands out in any way as the most obvious case recently. And, of course, just because some cases may appear more obvious than others, doesn't mean most everyone else isn't using too.

I think steroids (and all other drugs) should be legalized in the US, but that isn't really the point here. I think the NFL needs to stop testing for steroids, period. Here is why.

First of all, prohibition doesn't work. The more people you catch, the more of an advantage the people who didn't get caught have. At the rate the NFL catches people it makes the whole thing a joke. I would estimate they catch and suspend less than 1% of users. They have what, half a dozen suspensions per year?

Stopping steroid and other PED tests is the ONLY way to level the playing field. Period. Anything else is just going to make it into a race to beat the testing system, just like it is in the Olympics, bike racing, etc. The Olympic drug policy is a nightmare and has turned the whole affair into a huge joke. Luckily the NFL hasn't been stupid enough to ramp up their testing efforts to reach that level, but it is a good example of what happens as your drug policy gets stricter.

Cushing, Merriman, Peppers, and others are just the NFL making an example out of people so they can maintain the facade that they are a clean organization that punishes users. It's unfair, ineffective, and self-serving.

Beyond all that, the health implications of the steroid ban are significant. Real, injectable steroids are actually the safest of all the hormonal substances. The modern derivatives and pills that mimic steroids are vastly more damaging to the body, yet they are legal. Instead of letting players take the tried and true drugs that have extensive dosage and side effect information, many are turning to cutting edge shit that is untested and dangerous.

Obviously the NFL can't condone or openly allow steroids because they are (wrongfully) illegal. But they should definitely relax the testing process and the punishment, like maybe dropping it to a fine only.

That's my opinion in a nutshell.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #11
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'm probably in the minority that absolutely hates what Cushing did. I really think the argument that "hey, everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't we?" argument is weak.

In the NBA flopping is ruining the game, yet people do it because it works. And since other people do it, why shouldn't you if it gives you an edge? Why shouldn't football players use steroids to give themselves an edge, or at least level the playing field?

Because, it's against the rules. Argue all you want about how the rules should be changed, but right now, it's against the rules. And that makes Brian Cushing a cheater.

Yes, there are a ton of other cheaters out there. But honestly, I don't care about them. Brian Cushing cheated, and that's a fact.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
blahblahBaselessAccusationblahblahIdioticConspirac yTheoryblahblahblah

Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Without reading the entire 50-page Cushing thread, I can assume that there are many people in the Houston area that are re-evaluating their stance on steroids, Cushing himself, and the rules of the NFL. Let me be the first to tell you, his violation WAS for anabolic steroids and do NOT be a doofus who believes the age-old excuse from the player that is was "a non-steroidal supplement" that he "unknowingly took."

Cushing juiced. Most of us knew he was a juice head before he even played at USC, but anyone with doubts were soon made certain after he came back from injury in college. To think that he would enter then NFL and quit his cycling is just ridiculous.

For those of you who like to view the league with rosey colored glasses, you may want to stop reading now. This post contains spoilers. OK, if you're still reading, then let's get one thing straight: 90% of the NFL uses steroids. This is not an exact number, and I cannot prove my statistics, but nobody can prove me wrong either, so let's not get caught up in the numbers. The flat fact is, when you have the ability to earn millions of dollars by playing well against people who are in the 400lb bench press club, you're probably gonna drop $300.00 and get on some steroids. High school kids do it, so why wouldn't NFL players?

The reward far outweighs the risk. If Shawne Merriman can win a sack title and a defensive player of the year award while reaping the benefits of anabolics, and the consequence is a 4-game suspension, then you can bet he's gonna juice up because that cycle will be worth 2 or 3 more big contracts for him. Five years from now, when it's time for Cushing to sign his 2nd or 3rd contract, do you think the prospective teams will remember this suspension? Hell no, they'll remember how good he was as a rookie, again while on steroids. Just one season with that added strength and decreased recovery time will make a good player great, and it allows the outside world to view a player's potential in a whole different light. Until there's a true death penalty (lifetime ban) for steroids, players will use them to their heart's content and laugh off the suspensions.

Don't be silly and don't be naive- the league is far, far dirtier than NFL Network gives it credit for, and if we only knew the half of it, we'd probably have more to talk about, pharmaceutically than we do athletically.

I am not making a case to forgive Brian Cushing, but I am just saying, he didn't cheat because he was playing on an even field with all the other steroid users. The New England Patriots cheated but didn't break the law. Cushing broke the law, but didn't cheat.

One day, this whole thing might bust open and we'll all know for sure just how rampant steroid use is in the NFL. Believing that only the vast minority of the NFL use steroids is literally like believing that WWF wrestling isn't fake. Once it hits home, i.e. a hometown player makes national news for violating, you really start thinking about it, and if I have a point to make, it's just that- I don't know where I stand on the issue, I just believe it should be thought about more. Steroids are a huge part of football, and the subject is brushed under the rug with more fervor than OJ and with a bigger broom than LT.

It's a league problem, but the league blames individuals.
Wagonhed? Alter-ego?
Old 05-09-2010   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

SD4F - Good initial post and I think it's something worth discussing. However, you can't start off a post wanting to talk about the big picture and just throw stuff out there as facts. You could be completely correct that Cushing tested positive for an anabolic steroid... or has been taking them while playing for the Texans... but right now we don't know that. There could be a very high percentage that's the case, I'm not saying I would be overly surprised if that's what comes about all this - but until then we can't just say we "know" that because it's just conjecture.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old 05-09-2010   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, if you're still reading, then let's get one thing straight: 90% of the NFL uses steroids. This is not an exact number, and I cannot prove my statistics, but nobody can prove me wrong either, so let's not get caught up in the numbers.
Don't you just love it when people throw numbers up that they can't prove and then try to qualify it with the ol "you can't prove me wrong"?

Assumptions and opinions are not facts. You don't KNOW half of a half a percent of what NFL players do so quit grabbing numbers like 90% out of your ass and acting like it means something.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Don't you just love it when people throw numbers up that they can't prove and then try to qualify it with the ol "you can't prove me wrong"?

Assumptions and opinions are not facts. You don't KNOW half of a half a percent of what NFL players do so quit grabbing numbers like 90% out of your ass and acting like it means something.
90% of a team's active roster is 48 players, which means 5 players would NOT be using steroids. I'm guessing the starting and back up QB's, punter, kicker and 1 other guy?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
90% of a team's active roster is 48 players, which means 5 players would NOT be using steroids. I'm guessing the starting and back up QB's, punter, kicker and 1 other guy?
The long snapper?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
The long snapper?
"Finally someone believes me!"

signed,
Bryan Pittman

Old 05-09-2010   #20
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
The third string QB? Even if all the O-line, D-line & linebackers take them, I seriously doubt all the receivers, corners & running-backs take them. So 90% doesn't sound accurate.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read