Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2005   #1
yaboycm
Veteran

Default What is up with SADford

Has anyone heard anything about retaining Corey SADford? I hope that Casserly has the sense not to retain this sad sack. He has constantly underachieved while he has been with the Texans.

Year 1 - Terrible #1 Receiver
Year 2 - Lost starting spot to Gaffney
Year 3 - Ranked fourth on the team in WR catches. Armstrong, the 4th receiver on the depth chart, had more catches and yards than Bradford.
Year 4 - ADIOS Corey. Go somewhere else and steal money.

ALL SADFORD DID WAS DROP EASY BALLS and make 1 or 2 catches a year where you said, "was that really Bradford who caught that ball?"

The guy is terrible, get him off the team.

In my ideal situation we would trade up to take Mike Williams. I think he is a very special player and would compliment Johnson very well. They are both deep threats who can also run crossing routes, posts, and outs. Then you have Miller going across the middle, Davis up the middle and in the flat, and Gaffney running short possession routes. Our offense would be scary. Not only would we rack up yards like early in the year last year, but assuming Palmer calls the right plays, which is a BIG assumption, we would put it in the end zone. Did people forget what Mike Williams did in college? The guy dominated. Week after week he was one of the best WRs in college football. In an era where cornerbacks are dominated by 5'11" speed guys, it would be sacry throwing jump balls and deep balls to a 6'3" Johnson and 6'5" Williams who would be covered by 5'11" corners. The Colts could no longer focus on taking Johnson out of the game and making the rest of the receivers beat them. If they want to continue to roll a safety over to help the corner on Johnson, I'll take Williams one on one all day and Gaffney one on one on the 3rd corner all day. Then go hit Miller or Davis if a linebacker covers them.

Casserly - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT GO AFTER ANOTHER TIGHT END THIS OFFSEASON EITHER VIA THE DRAFT OR FREE AGENCY OR WHATEVER WAY YOU CAN THINK OF TO PICK UP A TIGHT END LIKE OFF THE STREETS A LA THE EAGLES.

ALSO, GET BILLY MILLER THE BALL. ALL HE DOES IS MAKE PLAYS. WE NEED TO GET HIM IN THE GAME, CALL PLAYS FOR HIM AND THROW HIM THE BALL.
yaboycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 265137 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Corey Bradford is what he is, I don't see any reason to mock him over this. He did well here within the limits of his talent and made some big plays which is what you get with Corey Bradford. Some big plays along with a few heartbreaking drops every year. You make out like he's the Matt Stevens of the offense or something and signing him was a bad idea. That's just not the case.

It's not like there was a line of free agent HOF recievers a mile long trying to get on the Texans roster in 2002 and they wanted to come here so bad they'd play for the minimum just to be on that new team in Houston. Right now the Texans look pretty good at WR but put it in context man. In 2002 Bradford was the best WR we had. I think the only one left from that year now is Gaffney (could be wrong about that) and he was a rookie. We were so hard up for WR talent that we even tried to get Jermaine Lewis to catch a pass and he was terrible.

Ease up on Bradford. No I don't think the Texans need to re-sign him but show some respect for the plays he made here and his contribution to getting the Texans off the ground. Say goodbye to him and wish him well, unless he's playing the Texans.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboycm
ALL SADFORD DID WAS DROP EASY BALLS and make 1 or 2 catches a year where you said, "was that really Bradford who caught that ball?"
Cak posted this is another thread and I am going to steal it: Bradford had 1, yes ONE, drop last year.

This "Bradford drops everything" isnt correct.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Cak posted this is another thread and I am going to steal it: Bradford had 1, yes ONE, drop last year.

This "Bradford drops everything" isnt correct.
Thanks Fiddy. To be specific, Bradford had 4 drops in 106 targets in the last 2 years. Look around the league at the top guys and you will find 6-8% drops is good.

It is two years past 2002 now folks. Drops are not the reason to cap on Bradford. Running good routes, getting open, winning Carr's trust--we can talk about those, but *****ing about his drops as any kind of recent news is ignorant.
Old 03-09-2005   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ya know if not for bradford in 02 we wouldnt of had any kind of passing game. I dont see why you people like to hate on him so much ! And they ^^ are correct he dont drop near as many passes as some claim !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #6
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Remember Bradford was on the recieving end of a football that beat the Cowboys. I will always have a little place in my heart for that player.
Old 03-10-2005   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

no reason to hate, maybe it is just a situation where he can sign with a team that is OK with him running straight lines.
Old 03-10-2005   #8
Joebert
waterboy

Default Why not bring back Bradford?

Aren't we going to miss him?
Joebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #9
Anishin
Rookie

Quote:
Year 3 - Ranked fourth on the team in WR catches. Armstrong, the 4th receiver on the depth chart, had more catches and yards than Bradford.
Was it just me, or did Armstrong impress the hell out of anybody else last year. Good hands, attacks the ball instead of just letting it get to him. I'm not sure he's a #2, or at least our #2, but I do want to see the ball in his hands some more.

EDIT: Sorry Mooney, didn't read through all the posts like I should have.
Anishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

does armstrong really have the speed we need to be our number 2 guy ?? He looks kinda slow to me !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #11
Holden135
Veteran

Armstrong had a decent year but i look for gaffney to have a bit of a break through year. He had his best season as a texan last year. It seemed like he had at least 2 or 3 catches a game in the 10-20 yard range which is big because we dont really have anyone who makes plays in that area. Don't get me wrong im not taking anything away from Dre but the way he has been used is by going deep with him or throwing those short passes to him and letting him run a few guys over. With Gaffney in there he tends to spread the field a little more.

If we can get another wr through the draft(like our second round pick which is still a good time to get a solid wr) along with our utilization of davis out of the back feild i think we can have a big year through the air. That is of course if Carr isnt on his back all game long.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #12
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything about retaining Corey SADford? I hope that Casserly has the sense not to retain this sad sack. He has constantly underachieved while he has been with the Texans.

Year 1 - Terrible #1 Receiver
Year 2 - Lost starting spot to Gaffney
Year 4 - ADIOS Corey. Go somewhere else and steal money.

The guy is terrible, get him off the team.

In my ideal situation we would trade up to take Mike Williams. I think he is a very special player and would compliment Johnson very well. They are both deep threats who can also run crossing routes, posts, and outs. Then you have Miller going across the middle, Davis up the middle and in the flat, and Gaffney running short possession routes. Our offense would be scary. Not only would we rack up yards like early in the year last year, but assuming Palmer calls the right plays, which is a BIG assumption, we would put it in the end zone. Did people forget what Mike Williams did in college? The guy dominated. Week after week he was one of the best WRs in college football. In an era where cornerbacks are dominated by 5'11" speed guys, it would be sacry throwing jump balls and deep balls to a 6'3" Johnson and 6'5" Williams who would be covered by 5'11" corners. The Colts could no longer focus on taking Johnson out of the game and making the rest of the receivers beat them. If they want to continue to roll a safety over to help the corner on Johnson, I'll take Williams one on one all day and Gaffney one on one on the 3rd corner all day. Then go hit Miller or Davis if a linebacker covers them.

Casserly - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT GO AFTER ANOTHER TIGHT END THIS OFFSEASON EITHER VIA THE DRAFT OR FREE AGENCY OR WHATEVER WAY YOU CAN THINK OF TO PICK UP A TIGHT END LIKE OFF THE STREETS A LA THE EAGLES.

ALSO, GET BILLY MILLER THE BALL. ALL HE DOES IS MAKE PLAYS. WE NEED TO GET HIM IN THE GAME, CALL PLAYS FOR HIM AND THROW HIM THE BALL.
All of this would be great but how can you get the ball to all of these people when Carr only has 2.5 seconds to throw the ball. It's a nice thought but we gotta beef up the front line first.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #13
THEFUTURE
All Pro

it has been said numerous times, armstrong and gaffney are slot receivers, they both are good route runners and know how to pick apart zones, but being a #2 is diff. they need above avg speed, need to seperate themselves from the corners when they are covered in man to man, they are simply just a classic #3 slot receiver, with a lot of smarts, and knows how to take what the defense gives, sit in holes in zones... so its really either starling comes out of no where to be a number 2, or we sign a number 2, or we draft a number 2... i say we draft Mike Williams, i think he has more talent then anyone we could sign, and starling does have talent, but Williams was a top 5 pick if he was allowed to enter the draft last year
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #14
THEFUTURE
All Pro

but we wont need to trade up to get mike, he will be there at 13
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Mike is going to be picked in the top 5. Did you read about his workout in Tampa? The Bucs, Bears, and Vikings are interested and have the leverage to get him. So quit thinking that the Texans will get him I just hope that by a miracle DJ drops to us so losing Sharper is not so bad.
Old 03-11-2005   #16
Joebert
waterboy

Default We should of kept Bradford

He was the deep threat.
Joebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not trying to defend Bradford here, but a lot of people have been talking about how he did not produce last season, it seems a lot of people forget what David Carr's pattern was last season. It went something like this, option #1 was AJ, AJ's not open look to Domanick, Domanick's not open scramble until sacked with a few passes to Gaff mixed in.
Old 03-11-2005   #18
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

not to be confused with bradford's pattern:

step 1
run route (bad route)

step 2
get absolutley no seperation.

step 3
on the rare occasion you do get seperation and the ball is thrown your way : drop the freaking pass!

step 4
complain to the media about a lack of oppurtunities.

(repeat the process all while being severly overpaid...)

dont let the door hit you on your way out.
Old 03-11-2005   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradford had one drop last season....and another interesting stat about Bradford, in the threee seasons he has been with us he has never fumbled once...
Old 03-11-2005   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bradford is a Burner - he can fly and because of that was a big time playmaker for us in some games. Besides the Cowboys game, he hit a big Home Run in the season opener last year against Miami. But he was very
inconsistant and certainly dropped far too many balls.
I feel comfortable with out wide receivers - with or without Bradford. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to upgrade #2 to someone like this Williamson kid from S.Carolina, but the thing I'm anxious about in out passing game is TE. Hope Joppru gets it done this year, but if he can't they need a plan B.
That's the big ? mark in our passing game, that and the pass protection for
DC.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read