Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-03-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Tate and the "speed score"

Ben Tate had the highest speed score in the draft. I do an interview with the person who came up with the speed score and what it means. I talk a little about Clinton Portis as he was a second round pick, and a player that I know the current coaches liked a lot when he was with the Broncos.

More on Ben Tate and what 'speed score' means

It's one of those posts that tells you something you already sort of know intuitively but is interesting to see in black and white.
Old 05-03-2010   #2
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate and the "speed score"

As usual, great article. It's always great to see the info you put out there for everyone.
Old 05-03-2010   #3
Coach Kevin
Coach Kevin

Rep Power: 75 Coach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respected

Great stuff
You taught me somthing new Thank you
Old 05-03-2010   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 19944 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I love mathematical equations, good article TC
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read Steph. I too have been on the Tate Wagon quite a while. I think his recieving skills and pass pro ability is really going to surprise some people. IMO he was the best choice for our system of all the backs in the draft
Old 05-03-2010   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting read. Did I miss Chris Johnson's speed score? It mentioned that he had the highest of the 2008 draft, but I didn't see where the actually number was cited.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Interesting read. Did I miss Chris Johnson's speed score? It mentioned that he had the highest of the 2008 draft, but I didn't see where the actually number was cited.
123.2 ... I think .
Old 05-04-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I typically don't like to hear Mike Lombardi speak about the Texans because he speaks of them so bad as if we did him wrong somehow. However, he did note the Texans had a very solid draft and stated that Ben Tate would be the reason The Texans could be able to pass up Indy.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great read. Kinda suprised Jacobs has the highest score ever.
Old 05-04-2010   #10
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 31193 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Great read. Kinda suprised Jacobs has the highest score ever.
He ran a 4.56 at 267 pounds.
Old 05-04-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
He ran a 4.56 at 267 pounds.
I knew he was fast, but I didn't know he ran a 4.5. Big boy truckin. He is a good one, but can be a little soft.
Old 05-04-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be interesting if someone could compare Tate and Ryan Mathews as both are very close in size, stats and running ability. Was Mathews going so high sizzle rather than steak? What did San Diego see in Ryan that was not seen in Tate?
Old 05-06-2010   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a followup post that I did that is not quite as glowing on Tate, and perhaps suggests why Matthews might be a more appealing choice to some:

Addition to the Ben Tate "speed score" discussion

Interesting to numbers people.
Old 05-06-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's a followup post that I did that is not quite as glowing on Tate, and perhaps suggests why Matthews might be a more appealing choice to some:

Addition to the Ben Tate "speed score" discussion

Interesting to numbers people.
TC,

My head is spinning after reading that article. I'm not an accountant. And sleeping at the Holiday Inn didn't help me either. But what I still have to conclude is that bottom line, the value that the RB has to a team can be very dependent on the make up of the rest of the offensive pieces and the offensive scheme. There are very few running backs that will shine solely on their own talent. I would not ready myself for a great let down as concerns the Tate pic based on the presented formula(s).
Old 05-06-2010   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What did San Diego see in Ryan that was not seen in Tate?
Big play ability. Mathews had (7) 50+ yard TD runs in 2009.

But, there's no crying over milk you never had a chance to spill. The Texans had no chance at Mathews, as trading up would have been absurd for a team with this many roster holes. Judging Tate versus the backs that were still available (Gerhart, Hardesty) is fair game. After they've had a chance to perform at the NFL level.
Old 05-06-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Big play ability. Mathews had (7) 50+ yard TD runs in 2009.

But, there's no crying over milk you never had a chance to spill. The Texans had no chance at Mathews, as trading up would have been absurd for a team with this many roster holes. Judging Tate versus the backs that were still available (Gerhart, Hardesty) is fair game. After they've had a chance to perform at the NFL level.
And I think if you look at the tape, everyone of those runs he had a hole you could drive a tractor thru
Old 05-06-2010   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
And I think if you look at the tape, everyone of those runs he had a hole you could drive a tractor thru
I watched a lot of those runs, and Mathews made plenty of guys miss, or broke tackles. Doesn't matter as he's not a Texan. Tate is. We'll find out how good they are in the NFL soon enough.
Old 05-19-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Ben Tate had the highest speed score in the draft. I do an interview with the person who came up with the speed score and what it means. I talk a little about Clinton Portis as he was a second round pick, and a player that I know the current coaches liked a lot when he was with the Broncos.

More on Ben Tate and what 'speed score' means

It's one of those posts that tells you something you already sort of know intuitively but is interesting to see in black and white.
What was Slaton's speed score?

Anyway, I dug this thread up, because I have a question... comparing Slate & Tate.

Slaton is listed as 5'9" Tate is listed at 5'11"

In this video, Slaton looks as tall as Tate.... not as wide, but as tall. I know it's a video, and hard to tell... but look at Moats, who is listed at 5'8" Slaton looks much more than an inch taller than Moats, but not nearly 2" shorter than Tate. With Slaton in the background, surely he should look smaller than Tate, shouldn't he?

Look at 1:56 I'm looking at the shoulders.
Old 05-19-2010   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
what was slaton's speed score?

Anyway, i dug this thread up, because i have a question... Comparing slate & tate.

Slaton is listed as 5'9" tate is listed at 5'11"

in this video, slaton looks as tall as tate.... Not as wide, but as tall. I know it's a video, and hard to tell... But look at moats, who is listed at 5'8" slaton looks much more than an inch taller than moats, but not nearly 2" shorter than tate. With slaton in the background, surely he should look smaller than tate, shouldn't he?

look at 1:56 i'm looking at the shoulders.
Old 05-30-2010   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So did you get a chance to look at the video?? Is someone fudging on their hieght?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read