Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2005   #1
texansfan88
All Pro

Default Capers up at Wisconsin today...

Probably looking at Erasmus James (DE), Anttaj Hawthorne (DT), Jonathon Clinkscale (OG), and Dan Buenning (OG)
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I like Antajj, I dont think that James really fits our defense. Hawthorne would add quality depth until he became good enough to start.
Old 03-09-2005   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Hawthorne can play NT
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #4
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I like Antajj, I dont think that James really fits our defense. Hawthorne would add quality depth until he became good enough to start.
AH was online today but signed off b4 i could type anything to see if capers was checking him out...i'll shoot him an email and see if he responds
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hawthorne can play NT
Yeah, but if we draft him do you think he will come in and get the starting position. I think it might take at least until mid season for him to learn the 3-4 well enough to take the starting spot from Payne.
Old 03-09-2005   #6
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
Yeah, but if we draft him do you think he will come in and get the starting position. I think it might take at least until mid season for him to learn the 3-4 well enough to take the starting spot from Payne
since we re-signed payne and he is expected to contribute for a few more years, i would think the drafting of hawthorne would be to groom him as a possible replacement for payne
Old 03-09-2005   #7
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I agree with jrock. If the Texans draft Hawthorne (or any other NT) Payne will still be the starter for the next year or two. It takes guys a while to adjust to playing NT in the NFL, even if they are drafted in the first round. Even though he wouldn't start, a rookie NT will get plenty of playing time rotating with Payne to keep both of them fresh.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2005   #8
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Hawthorne could possibly be a DE for us. and could replace Walker as the starter if he still hasnt fully recovered from his injuries.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #9
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
I think Hawthorne could possibly be a DE for us. and could replace Walker as the starter if he still hasnt fully recovered from his injuries.
agreed as well. i just looked up some stats and, at 6'3 - 305lbs, mr hawthorne would be more suited (sizewise) as an end in our 3-4. whoever we draft as a first day DL, i expect to give the front three regular breaks next season. it'll be their trial by fire and hopefully extend payne/walker's career's as productive texans! so much upside is making me dizzy... :woot
Old 03-09-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I think Hawthorne could possibly be a DE for us.
Gotta remember, there's really not that much difference between the profile
of a guy playing NT vs. DE in the 3-4 as compared to the > differences between DE & DT in the 4-3. In the 3-4, both positions are basically tackle types.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

hmm well when payne goes down this year again, which i know he will than we'll have somebody to replace him
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers one of three NFL head coaches to attend Wisconsin's Pro Day according to this report out of Madison.
http://www.madison.com/wsj/arch_spor...php?ntid=31569
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
agreed as well. i just looked up some stats and, at 6'3 - 305lbs, mr hawthorne would be more suited (sizewise) as an end in our 3-4.
Hawthorne weighed in at 317 lbs at the Senior Bowl, 321 lbs at the combine. He's big enough to play anywhere along the 34 line.
Old 03-10-2005   #14
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Jonathan Welsh (wisconsin DE) ran a 4.5 at the combine. Could he be looking at another 3-4 LB?
Old 03-22-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Jonathan Welsh (wisconsin DE) ran a 4.5 at the combine. Could he be looking at another 3-4 LB?
Youngstown, you may be right! I've been doing some research on these fellows @ Wisconsin and Jonathan Welch jumped out at me like TORO the bull. Right now I'm going on record (Vinny keeps track of these damn things) its a toss up who do the Texans select in the 4th rd, Jonathan Welch or Jonathan Goddard? one things for sure his first name will be Jonathan

When (Erasmus) James was scratched from the lineup in '03 Jonathan Welsh filled in nicely at defensive end for the Badgers, recording eight sacks and 11 tackles for loss.

At 6-foot-3 and 244 pounds, Welsh projects as outside linebacker at the NFL level. He impressed at the combine with a 40-yard dash time of 4.58 seconds.

Welsh played right defensive end for Wisconsin's top-ranked scoring defense last fall.

Welsh and defensive tackle Jason Jefferson, another UW draft prospect, were All-Big Ten honorable mention picks.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #16
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

It was well documented that Wisconsin had a very good D-line last year. But I've always wondered if Jason Jefferson was overshadowed by guys like Hawthorne. He has a NFL type body (6'5" 310)

If he doesn't go on the first day, someone will be getting a very good day 2 pickup.
Old 03-22-2005   #17
outofhnd
All Pro

Hmm where is AH slated to be drafted this year?
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Welsh could be a good 4th round pick-up if Anthony Bryant is off the board...
Old 03-22-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmm where is AH slated to be drafted this year?
Late 1st, early 2nd at the latest...He may be a trade up/down candidate...
Old 03-23-2005   #20
outofhnd
All Pro

If Hawthorne impresses Capers big time, could we be trading down from and drafting mucho lineman in later rounds this year?
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read