Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2005   #21
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

There is a reason he isn't starting and the rumor is that he has difficulty grasping the defense. It definitely isn't because of his speed/rushing skills. He had the issue with getting the playbook stolen. He was in the doghouse a lot early on due to his propensity to show up late to sessions. It could be that he is just immature. I think it is a combination of both though. Otherwise, I think he would be starting by now.

This is his third season and he still isn't pencilled in as a starter yet.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #22
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
With Dom in Madison today taking a look at Erasmus James, that doesn't bode well for Peek's future at ROLB. From the Chronic link above:
There's 6 possibilities he's looking at today:

Erasmus James
Anttaj Hawthorne
Jonathan Clinkscale (G)
Dan Buenning (G)
Jonathan Orr (WR)
Jim Leonhard (S)

I wouldn't put too much attention towards they're there just to look at James, especially with 2 of the top guards in the house
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #23
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
There is a reason he isn't starting and the rumor is that he has difficulty grasping the defense. It definitely isn't because of his speed/rushing skills. He had the issue with getting the playbook stolen. He was in the doghouse a lot early on due to his propensity to show up late to sessions. It could be that he is just immature. I think it is a combination of both though. Otherwise, I think he would be starting by now.
This is his third season and he still isn't pencilled in as a starter yet.
I wondered if perhaps he was a bit of a slow learner. That's unfortunate, because he is a talented young man. I heard him being interviewed once on the radio and he seemed to be reasonably responsive to the questions, but I
just heard him talk the one time. But his outbursts and lack of discipline from time to time on the field maybe are more of a sign of immaturety than anything. True story: I played ball with a guy in college who was so aggressive and undisciplined, once in one-on-one tackling drills the coaches egged him on a little and he attacked the ball carrier and actually started
choking him. Hey, no matter how good you are, if you can't play under control
you can hurt your team more than you can help it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #24
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I wondered if perhaps he was a bit of a slow learner. That's unfortunate, because he is a talented young man. I heard him being interviewed once on the radio and he seemed to be reasonably responsive to the questions, but I
just heard him talk the one time. But his outbursts and lack of discipline from time to time on the field maybe are more of a sign of immaturety than anything. True story: I played ball with a guy in college who was so aggressive and undisciplined, once in one-on-one tackling drills the coaches egged him on a little and he attacked the ball carrier and actually started
choking him. Hey, no matter how good you are, if you can't play under control
you can hurt your team more than you can help it.
He's an extremely smart person. His poetry is amazing as well. He's just had bad experiences in his life that for some reason, come out when he steps on the field.
Old 03-09-2005   #25
dmt217
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
After reading that I had flashbacks of Foreman running around in a desperate attempt to keep up with a TE with his arms waving wildly over his head as the ball flies over his head and into the TE's hands.
And I get flashbacks of Foreman getting "knocked down" by the smoke from Favre's pass.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #26
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt217
And I get flashbacks of Foreman getting "knocked down" by the smoke from Favre's pass.
I DVR'ed that game...it was the "vapor trail" that flew right over his hands...all too familiar.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #27
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Perhaps it is mainly maturity that is the root of his problem. Regardless, there is something other than physical talent that is keeping him off the field.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2005   #28
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt217
Man...just when I was able to sleep at night. Now I'm going to have vapor trail nightmares.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #29
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Antwan obviously has athletic ability," Texans coach Dom Capers said. "He might be as good, if not the best, athlete we have at that position. He made great strides from the first year to the second year, and we expect him to make those same kinds of strides in year three. ... He'll have a chance to start. We'll be looking to put our best people on the field."
Whether it was immaturity issues, (and many promising NFL players ruin their careers for just that reason) or inabilty to learn the system . . there has to be a very significant reason why the "best athlete at that position" was not starting.

John McClain of the Chronicle says that Peek drives the coaches nuts. He has said it many times whenever he is asked a question about Peek. Now, have the coaches given up on him? If they draft another DE/OLB tweener with the 1st pick, then we'll know the answer.

Last edited by Marcus; 03-09-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #30
yaboycm
Veteran

Football players play on the field says everything. When Peek is in the game something special happens. The Texans need to find a way to get him starting and on the field as much as possible.
yaboycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #31
M@DD Mike
Rookie

Peeks the man! He'll prove it this season.
Old 03-09-2005   #32
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@DD Mike
Peeks the man! He'll prove it this season.
man, i cant wait til he cost us a game and hearing everyone saying this totally bash him...you know it's going to happen.
Old 03-09-2005   #33
M@DD Mike
Rookie

The lack of a pass rush has cost us a bunch of games it can only get better.
Old 03-09-2005   #34
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
man, i cant wait til he cost us a game and hearing everyone saying this totally bash him...you know it's going to happen.
He is never going to cost a game, if he gets beat there should always be another guy behind him that should make the play as well. No player can cost a game unless they intentionally throw a game. Its also not a lack of maturity. An immature person in his past situations would not have made it this far. Also, I enjoyed the response earlier about other Capers teams that had to dummy down the defense, and when they did they started doing well. I believe the panthers had some good years and the steelers are killing on defense now. However i agree with texan88, just like every other player on this team, people change their minds on them no matter what. The fans need to start being real fans and support their guys. Maybe the team should start letting little kids take them to practice on their bikes like the Packers do. Im not saying the Texans fans arent great but some extra loyalty could go a long way.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #35
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Peek is my favorite player. He's kind of an underdog just because of the way the coaches use him (or don't use him), so it's always more exciting to see him make big plays than anyone else.

I'm always for more Peek.
Old 03-10-2005   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
There's 6 possibilities he's looking at today:

Erasmus James
Anttaj Hawthorne
Jonathan Clinkscale (G)
Dan Buenning (G)
Jonathan Orr (WR)
Jim Leonhard (S)
Please. A head coach doesn't pick a school to visit to see mid round guards & likely to be undrafted prospects. Capers could be looking a Hawthorne, I'm sure he did while he was there. But on one of the biggest pro days of the season, Capers chose Wisconsin over Florida, LSU, & Oklahoma. And he did it to see Erasmus James.
Old 03-10-2005   #37
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Please. A head coach doesn't pick a school to visit to see mid round guards & likely to be undrafted prospects. Capers could be looking a Hawthorne, I'm sure he did while he was there. But on one of the biggest pro days of the season, Capers chose Wisconsin over Florida, LSU, & Oklahoma. And he did it to see Erasmus James.
Sounds probable to me. Might be a pretty strong indication of the direction the thinking is going in the Texans war room.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #38
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ya know i'm sure some would say ray lewis is immature, but nobody complains when he's out there making plays, so let peek play.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #39
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
ya know i'm sure some would say ray lewis is immature, but nobody complains when he's out there making plays, so let peek play.
But hardly anyone would say Ray Lewis misses his assignments.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #40
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
But hardly anyone would say Ray Lewis misses his assignments.

i cant recall seeing peek miss to many assignments.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read