Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Peek Starting???

One of the few articles on Texans by beat reporter. Peek has a chance to start next year, and it seems that Texans are more interested in OLBs that ILBs. So, Texas fans, maybe no DJ!!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...fb/nfl/3075853
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Peek needs to start...and I think the coaches finally figured that out with the final 4 games left.

But this is the thing that really concerns me:

Quote:
Peek, who will be entering the final season of a three-year contract
They need to hurry up and sign him for at least 2 more years. I really think this guy is gonna turn heads in a starting role position.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #3
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

well, according to my dad, the texans coaching staff feels that peek needs to improve in pass coverage bc they feel that he makes alot of dumb mistakes in coverage. quite frankly, i would love to see him out there everyday. i would lock him in for at least 10 sacks in 16 games. it seemed like every time peek went into the game, he was wreaking havok on the offensive line causing them to false start, getting to the QB, forcing fumbles, or making big hits.
Old 03-09-2005   #4
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

I think my boy has improved already, look at his coverage in Indy where he was in perfect position/coverage one play, and then the next he picks one off. To be honest, he isnt going to sign a contract here unless he starts this season. If things go well during the season maybe something could be done but nothing is going to happen before that point in time. And if he does start and plays well, maybe he will be testing the market.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know the main reason i've hoped for peek to get into the starting lineup is not because of his production but because of his attitude on the field...the man is just mean on the field and i think that's what we need in a linebacker out there
Old 03-09-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"If deals can't be worked out, there's a good chance both will be released."
This from the Carlton's Chron story:
Looks like (A) try to work out a trade for both (B) if that fails try to restructure contracts (C) if that fails Sharper and/or Foreman flat out cut.
Whoa, the times they are a changin ! We could end up with our 4-man LB
crew returning only one starter (and a rookie last year at that), from the positions they played/started at last year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
To be honest, he isnt going to sign a contract here unless he starts this season.
If Peek doesn't start this year he will still most likely be a Texan the year after unless the Texans have given up on him. He will be a RFA so the Texans will tender him unless they consider him a complete bust--depending on the level of tender that will mean either a 3rd round pick, 1st round pick or 1st & 3rd round picks as compensation. The Texans have a right to match any offer made. With a mid or high tender by the Texans Peek probably wouldn't even get any offers--who is going to give up a 1st on a guy that hasn't been starting?

Having said that, I would suspect that the Texans will have just about given up on Peek if he can't break into the starting lineup at some point this season. With Capers talking about him being the most athletic LB on the team, if he isn't out there it is because they think he just doesn't get the mental aspect of the game.

Quote:
well, according to my dad, the texans coaching staff feels that peek needs to improve in pass coverage
Funny, one of the Texans' LB coaches said he was either their best or one of their best in coverage last year at some point. If coverage skills were keeping Peek on the bench Foreman should have been sitting right next to him.
Old 03-09-2005   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Funny, one of the Texans' LB coaches said he was either their best or one of their best in coverage last year at some point. If coverage skills were keeping Peek on the bench Foreman should have been sitting right next to him.
After reading that I had flashbacks of Foreman running around in a desperate attempt to keep up with a TE with his arms waving wildly over his head as the ball flies over his head and into the TE's hands.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Peek has the physical ability to play OLB, and he does well in situations where there are obvious passing downs.

But he drives the coaches nuts with both his immaturity issues, and the inability for him the to grasp the system as a whole. John Granato on 610 said it best. In order for Peek to be an every down player, the coaches would have to "dumb it down" so that Peek could understand it.

And it fits. With the offseason moves that Casserly is making, it doesn't look to me that Peek is in their plans
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans really have a bad track record regarding the way they've
handled several of their LBs and this situation with Sharper could get messy. For whatever reason, they screwed up with both Posey and Foley while all the
time admitting one of the teams biggest unfilled needs was improving the
pass rush - a prime job description of OLBs. And then theres Peek - last
year of his contract and they are reportedly finally making a push to work him into the starting lineup.
Babin is the only young LB they have really pushed as a starter and it still remains unclear why they so agressively pushed him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #11
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

I dont know what yall think but i love it when I see Peek out there getting all in somebodys @$$! I dont know why some guys are like," He is too immature, he needs to be under control" and i agree to a short extent but I love it when a player has a fire burning inside and they play with everything they got. Like after they get a tackle, they dont just stand up(Jamie Sharper) and walk back to the huddle, They get up clapping and hoopin and hollerin. I just think we shouldnt always try to control Peek, I think we should UNLEASH him.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #12
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Shawne Merriman

I hope we pick him. He is 272 pounds with decent speed. We need to get younger and speedier on defense
Old 03-09-2005   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
...With the offseason moves that Casserly is making, it doesn't look to me that Peek is in their plans
With Dom in Madison today taking a look at Erasmus James, that doesn't bode well for Peek's future at ROLB. From the Chronic link above:

Quote:
The Texans have the 13th pick in the first round of next month's draft, and there are some intriguing prospects who project as outside linebackers in their 3-4 scheme. Today, Capers will attend the University of Wisconsin's pro day, presumably to get a better look at Erasmus James, considered one of the top three defensive end prospects in the draft.
Old 03-09-2005   #14
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

To me, Peeks problems wasn't his coverage skills, but his stopping the run techniques. How many times does he have to get hook and give up contain before he learns. That is what is keeeping him from being a everydown player. Last year, he basically only played on passing downs (mainly for his pass rush), but on 1 and 10 or 2 and 6 (rushing downs) he was too much of a liability.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Run containment is one of Peek's weak areas. He isn't very smart either.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #16
Doom Capers
Veteran

Peek deserves a chance to be a starter. He brings a lot of energy to the defense.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #17
tacoman_j
Veteran

Angry Why are you questioning his intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre

That's not cool!!
Old 03-09-2005   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know this isn't the first time capers defense has been too complicated for a talented player...when he was up in carolina he had to bring in guys like kevin greene to play because none of the younger guys understood what was going on...that's why after greene retired capers team took a nose dive...in pittsburgh the samething happened with gildon and kirkland...that's why "dumbing down" the defense may not be a bad thing...just a wrong way of looking at it...i mean look at the players we've had in here to run the defense...clemons, peek, posey, wong, babin, etc...you can't tell me that all of these guys weren't smart...they had to get through college and into the pros some how...and sometimes the best thing a coach can do is keep it simple...better to have a simple game plan were everyone knows what they're doing so they can go full speed than a complex one that only works when players have been doing it for years and finally grasp the concepts
Old 03-09-2005   #19
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
And you know how smart he is how? Have you talked to the man? Dont even try to comment on a persons intelligence when you have no idea. I believe he graduted from college, which is a lot more than half the NFL can say. There is a difference between being stupid and trying to learn a new system. He never had the chances like Babin did of learning on the job, he had to learn watching from the sideline in games. Makes the learning curve take longer when you cant do things.
Run contain was a weak point for him, but I believe there were a couple games where the Dime package was in the whole game and there wasnt a play where he missed contain in those, and there werent any long runs against them. Case in point, which i have used multiple times, at Indy he had a goal line play where he waited on the left side and took down Edge at the line of scrimmage.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
you know this isn't the first time capers defense has been too complicated for a talented player...when he was up in carolina he had to bring in guys like kevin greene to play because none of the younger guys understood what was going on...that's why after greene retired capers team took a nose dive...in pittsburgh the samething happened with gildon and kirkland...that's why "dumbing down" the defense may not be a bad thing...just a wrong way of looking at it...i mean look at the players we've had in here to run the defense...clemons, peek, posey, wong, babin, etc...you can't tell me that all of these guys weren't smart...they had to get through college and into the pros some how...and sometimes the best thing a coach can do is keep it simple...better to have a simple game plan were everyone knows what they're doing so they can go full speed than a complex one that only works when players have been doing it for years and finally grasp the concepts
I agree with you on balance. I've never been a big fan of overly complex defenses because playing defense is all about react and chase. The less you have to think the better. That said, the Pats run a very complex scheme and so do the Titans. They always have fine defenses. Most of the time it takes a good 3 years to reach your peak as a starting OLB in most 3-4 defenses as a converted position player off the D-line. This will be the break out year for Peek or the break him year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read