Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-28-2010   #1
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default CJ holding out

Quote:
The news that Titans running back Chris Johnson didn't show up for the start of Organized Team Activities should come as no surprise. The surprise would come only if Johnson shows up at any point in the offseason.

Since Johnson received a small signing bonus as a rookie in 2008, he faces only a small repayment obligation if he boycotts any mandatory offseason activities. Also, the fine for skipping out on a mandatory minicamp is in the range of $10,000 for the entire session; the stakes increase dramatically when a player begins to skip out on training camp.

Johnson wants a new contract, and the team's obvious first line of defense will come from the application of the 30 percent rule, which makes it difficult to renegotiate an existing deal in an uncapped year. That probably won't be good enough for Johnson, who has made it clear that he believes he should be getting paid like the top offensive players in the game.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...son/?related=1
Old 04-28-2010   #2
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CJ holding out

Should just pay the man. He definitely deserves it after the numbers he put up last year. A RB's career can be cut short at any moment, so I don't blame the guy for trying to get as much money as he possibly can.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Should just pay the man. He definitely deserves it after the numbers he put up last year. A RB's career can be cut short at any moment, so I don't blame the guy for trying to get as much money as he possibly can.
Which is the exact reason why the Titans are probably reluctant to give it to him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #4
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I see your point, but they also can't risk him pulling a Dunta. He's a vital part of their team, without him they will easily be last in the AFC South. Not 100% sure how contracts worked, but if they were that worried they should be able to choose to pay less guaranteed money and more non-guaranteed (can't think of the word) money. Or maybe he'd accept a front loaded contract, who knows.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Well, I see your point, but they also can't risk him pulling a Dunta. He's a vital part of their team, without him they will easily be last in the AFC South. Not 100% sure how contracts worked, but if they were that worried they should be able to choose to pay less guaranteed money and more non-guaranteed (can't think of the word) money. Or maybe he'd accept a front loaded contract, who knows.
What do you mean by that? At his prime Dunta was not a top 5 corner. When he returned from injury he was not even a top 32 corner. In contrast CJ is a top 5 back.

No comparison whatsoever in my mind.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
What do you mean by that? At his prime Dunta was not a top 5 corner. When he returned from injury he was not even a top 32 corner. In contrast CJ is a top 5 back.

No comparison whatsoever in my mind.
He means they cant risk him holding out until the regular season, which is what Dunta did. Then he came in all rusty and took half the season to get going. Dont think it had anything to do with skill
Old 04-28-2010   #7
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 132284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one support CJ and I hope he sits out the entire season. (I really don't give a crap about his stance or the principal of the matter I just don't want this guy to get anoth 250yds against us)
Old 04-28-2010   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the man deserves his money and he should hold out until they pay him.
Old 04-28-2010   #9
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Hold out as long as it takes CJ!!!
Old 04-28-2010   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay that ugly ass dude, he deserves it. If he's not happy & in thier line-up, that offense will look terrible. & with no running game, we don't have to think too hard about how much worse that's gonna make their "qb" look.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #11
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup, I'm on Johnson's side here. He certainly doesn't deserve Peyton Manning money (which is what he wants), but he absolutely deserves money at the $6-7M range and the Titans should be happy to pay him that.

Unfortunately there are some really stupid rules in the NFL and RBs definitely get the short end of the stick. The rookie pay scale and 30% rule do a disservice to these guys who risk their health and livelihood just to play 5 years in the NFL if they are lucky.

Pay him.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

"I want da gold. Give me da gold."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

He should be the face of their franchise and he deserves quite a bit of money. 2000 yards rushing in one season is incredible and they should be trying to give him as much money this season as the rules will allow. The Titans can't let him miss camp over a couple million dollars.
Old 04-28-2010   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
Yup, I'm on Johnson's side here. He certainly doesn't deserve Peyton Manning money (which is what he wants), but he absolutely deserves money at the $6-7M range and the Titans should be happy to pay him that.
They probably would be happy to pay him that but if he won't sign on the dotted line then whose fault is it? If he wants $18 mil whose fault is it?
Old 04-28-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't care if he holds out or not.

If I'm the Titans, I don't know if I'd pay him though. He's already had two good years, how many more can he have left?
Old 04-28-2010   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't care if he holds out or not.

If I'm the Titans, I don't know if I'd pay him though. He's already had two good years, how many more can he have left?
A lot? The guy is the best RB in the NFL today.

I personally hope he holds out for $20 million per. And on the last day of the season, I hope the Titans give it to him
Old 04-28-2010   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Play ball and the contract will come. D-Ryans = Wanted a new contract, went about it the RIGHT way and he got paid.
Old 04-28-2010   #18
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I for one support CJ and I hope he sits out the entire season. (I really don't give a crap about his stance or the principal of the matter I just don't want this guy to get anoth 250yds against us)
Me too...SIT, CJ SIT!!!!
Old 04-28-2010   #19
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
ChicagoTexan is a wise man and I fully concur with his stance on the matter.
Old 04-28-2010   #20
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Give 40% to CJ to go along with the other 40% to VY and by golly you'll have your team SET, Bud - DO it!

(disclaimer - the "40%" was mearly an exaggertion, not to be construed as actual fact of the percentage given to these players in comparison to total team salary.)
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read